Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I wonder what Taffers success rate is for non Bar Rescue show bars where he cant just namedrop some company and dump 20k+ worth of free equipment/renovations into a place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
He probably just charges the owners for whatever renos he does; isn't that pretty much the restaurant consultant business model anyway?

Here's a thing Taffer wrote about consulting fees - http://m.nightclub.com/q-what-average-management-fee-a-barrestaurant-consultant

So just to get him to look at your poo poo, you're looking at five figures. He's probably not rescuing the kind of indebted shitholes we see on the show.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 4, 2014

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

FrozenVent posted:

He probably just charges the owners for whatever renos he does; isn't that pretty much the restaurant consultant business model anyway?

Here's a thing Taffer wrote about consulting fees - http://m.nightclub.com/q-what-average-management-fee-a-barrestaurant-consultant

So just to get him to look at your poo poo, you're looking at five figures. He's probably not rescuing the kind of indebted shitholes we see on the show.

For that much money there has to be some kind of guarantee that the business will be a success at some point or he only gets a smaller percentage of his fee. Maybe not but I would think that how it works.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There's percentage based fees afterwards, but just the first look and set up is 10-50k. I'm fairly sure that comes without any guarantees, but obviously his customers aren't the shirts how's we've seen on the show, there's no way Piratez could have shelled out 10k... And if they had they might have given it a fair try.

It's similar to how consulting works in other industries as well, except most of them bill hourly. Generally if you can afford to hire a consulting firm to pull you out of trouble, you ain't in that much trouble yet.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Good businesses that want to grow seem more likely as customers than businesses that are failing. Or people just getting into it and want to do things right.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
I was bored so I made a GIF of Taffer expressing a rare emotion: approval.

(no caption version)

(From the Sand Dollar episode, wherein this is Taffer's reaction when Dr. Wilkes manages to walk up to a group of women and not start sexually harassing them.)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
In one of the episodes this season, Taffer resqued a bar where the owner was a sexual predator who tried to sexually assault Taffers recon girls, and Taffer also fired the owners little fucktoy girl so that he could rekindle his relationship with his wife. Can someone tell me why the show was even willing to come within 100 miles of the rape den bar? Why didn't the girl go and get every lawyer in the world and sued everyone involved for hostile work environment, sexual extortion and so on? Lawyers should be queuing up outside her door to represent her after seeing the episode.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Half the bars on the show have creepy sexual predator type employees/owners. Arm vagina guy, green mohawk guy, the old fat guy from the olive pit, ect

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
These places aren't attracting top notch employees to begin with. The odds of one or more waitresses sleeping with the owner are pretty certain.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

evobatman posted:

In one of the episodes this season, Taffer resqued a bar where the owner was a sexual predator who tried to sexually assault Taffers recon girls, and Taffer also fired the owners little fucktoy girl so that he could rekindle his relationship with his wife. Can someone tell me why the show was even willing to come within 100 miles of the rape den bar? Why didn't the girl go and get every lawyer in the world and sued everyone involved for hostile work environment, sexual extortion and so on? Lawyers should be queuing up outside her door to represent her after seeing the episode.

This may shock you, but there are a whole lot of shithole bars run by drunken lechers and patronized by a wide spectrum of creeps. Some of them are in parts of the country where judges and juries would accept "she's a bartender with boobs, what did she think would happen when she took this tips-only job?" as a legal argument.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

There's a dive bar in my area that "pays" employees that way. My wife picks up shifts bartending there from time to time when they need extra help just for the quick cash, though I'm sure she's gotten bigger tips there than anyone at Headhunters ever did, and believe it or not, the owner doesn't seem to be a complete rear end in a top hat (though he really should be paying something).

E: My wife is a sous chef at a local country club, and literally just does the bartending thing for fun and extra money once or twice a month.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 3, 2014

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
According to a commercial that aired during Hell's Kitchen (synergy?) the new season starts this Sunday, thought it might be available now in their IPad app.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Spike is showing Sunday's episode as Season 4, but with production number 340, so who even knows what seasons are anymore.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Spike is showing Sunday's episode as Season 4, but with production number 340, so who even knows what seasons are anymore.

I gave up on their numbering scheme long ago. :shrug:

But yes, bring on the bitters!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Will this be the season Taffer has a stroke? Tune in and find out.

I don't think we have the business rescue catch-all thread anymore (?), but I know there's some overlap viewers here. Hotel Impossible's next season starts next Tuesday. It apparently involves NASCAR, the state of Florida, and ZERO TOLERANCE.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

All I need is more Marcus Lemonas yelling at chucklefuck business owners and my life will be complete.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The catch all thread was basically hotel rescue shows, might as well make a new thread for them. I don't watch them and would rather not have them combined with bar rescue, that's just me though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yep, it appears to have fallen into oblivion.

The Profit is coming back in a couple weeks, so your Lemonas desires will be fulfilled.

And there's a show on Travel Channel called Resort Rescue that my wife saw a commercial for. The first episode aired already, but I'm picking up the re-run on Tuesday according to my DVR. It starts with hidden cameras and goes from there, so I'm not super confident it'll be any good, but I'm going to give it a shot.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah, the rescue show megathread fell into the archives after everything went on break for a while.

Also dammit Hotel Impossible, I have work that night and Scripps/Travel Channel are still butts about putting their shows on non-paywalled sites! :argh:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Saint Freak posted:

Will this be the season Taffer has a stroke? Tune in and find out.

I don't think we have the business rescue catch-all thread anymore (?), but I know there's some overlap viewers here. Hotel Impossible's next season starts next Tuesday. It apparently involves NASCAR, the state of Florida, and ZERO TOLERANCE.

Hotel Rescue guy creeps me out. I don't know why.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Hotel Rescue guy creeps me out. I don't know why.

He's kind of intense but he seems to know what he's talking about. I like Hotel Impossible because it doesn't have a lot of fake drama and they focus on actually trying to fix the business as a whole instead of just focusing on interior decorating makeovers.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Why is only the first season of this show on Netflix?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The rest of the seasons are free on spikes website.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

blakout posted:

The rest of the seasons are free on spikes website.

Which I can't watch on my xbox. :mad:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Yo, the bar's back open tonight!

A nightclub deals with unruly teenagers and an insect problem in the Season 4 opener.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Pretty cool concept with the speakeasy and all.

Although isn't the fact that it looks like an autobody shop a negative? I get that it ties into the theme and all, but there's nothing to suggest it's a bar, which has always been considered a negative (think Angry Ham's Garage.)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Only one other post for the new episode?

I think their redesign is easily the worst one of the series. Did they not consider that since it's no longer the prohibition era, that a place that is named like an auto garage and looks like an auto garage might be passed up because people think it's an auto garage? This right after a rerun of the hookah place where Taffer was going on and on about how the outside is so important.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I thought the same thing.

I did love that drunk teen chasing the cameraman.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zero One posted:

I had to rewind that to figure out what the gently caress was going on. Was she just chasing the cameraman because she expected him to call her a cab for some reason...?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I guess if Huntington's bar scene is really as hot as they claimed, they would rely on word of mouth and promotion thanks to the one partner.

And I agree, 18+ nights probably work better for dance clubs than bars with dance floors.

raditts posted:

I had to rewind that to figure out what the gently caress was going on. Was she just chasing the cameraman because she expected him to call her a cab for some reason...?

I think it was the rare time where they aired footage of people reacting to the discovery they were being filmed. I've always wondered about that, like the people getting busted on COPS (I mean, it's not like the cameras aren't obvious.)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Id be surprised if that place turns into anything but the cities hipster hangout. Its up there with the steampunk bar in terms of odd makeovers. Why would he think an area with a bunch of early 20s type people care at all about a speakeasy?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Zero One posted:

Yeah, I cracked the gently caress up at that.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

raditts posted:

I tuned in just in time for the COPS camera style run down the road with some girl screaming "CALL ME A CAB"? What the hell happened to lead into that?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

I tuned in just in time for the COPS camera style run down the road with some girl screaming "CALL ME A CAB"? What the hell happened to lead into that?

As far as what they showed us, absolutely nothing.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
That was an awful bar makeover, but then again that's one of my favorite parts of this show.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I actually really liked the makeover??

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I thought the makeover was cool, but it's a question of how practical it is. Theme bars only seem to work really well in really populated areas, and the biggest snag remains the fact that the exterior is hidden as part of the theme.

Those TVs that turned back into bar mirrors were neat though, never seen that before.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Good to see the owner was rescued, he was a hopeless wreck at the beginning of the show.

My favourite line was Taffer saying, "You know, I always wanted to do a genuine speakeasy concept"

He's already worked with over 100 bars and not used that idea before - probably for good reasons!

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
He already did a "prohibition-themed" makeover with Moonrunners. I guess that wasn't going far enough because it didn't have a rotating mystery door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I like the inside. But the outside I can't help but think will turn people away. They will just think it's an atuobody shop unless they already know what it is.

I want to say this is one of the few episodes where the employees and the owner and promoter actually all got along and wanted to succeed. I don't think it happens that often all across the board.

• Locked thread