Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Be sure to check out his run on Superman. It's truly grounded in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

His OC stuff, I mean, read his OC stuff!

(Supreme Power totally counts)

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Midnight Nation by JMS is also enjoyable.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Thanks guys!! :)

Edit: what is OC ?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

xenilk posted:

Thanks guys!! :)

Edit: what is OC ?

Original character. Basically JMS is really great when he's working on a new idea, but he gets some very very mixed results when using established characters, like the very bad Superman run he did or the sometimes pretty good/sometimes oh my god no Osborn why Spider-Man run.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
wrong thread

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 30, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Please recommend or don't recommend that I purchase:

Jonathan Hickman's:

Secret

A Red Mass for Mars

Red Wing

God is Dead

I love Hickman's work and these are what's left on his Amazon page that I don't have.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Of the two that I've read:
- Red Mass for Mars was good, but written about half a decade too late. It follows themes already explored by other writes in the early 2000's and doesn't add anything new.

- Red Wing is a pretty basic story, but there are really inventive illustrations throughout.

I'd say both are middle of the road Hickman, but way better than Transhuman.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Red Mass for Mars is forgettable as in every time I hear about it I think "have I read that?" and have to google it before I remember that I have.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Goatmask posted:

Sorry, I'm going to double post. I'm looking for non-superhero "graphic novels" (I'm not a big fan of the calling them this but I guess it gets the point across). Something that is very broadly recognised to be good, the sort of thing that would end up on a "100 best comics everyone should read" list.

Things I have read and enjoyed (to varying degrees): Black Hole, Ghost World, The Incal, True Swamp, Building Stories, Maus, Persepolis, From Hell, The Squirrel Machine, The Underwater Welder, I Kill Giants.

Most recently I read Black Hole (which I loved) and Ghost World (which I liked for its themes and how it went about them, but the story didn't grab me as much. Still enjoyed it though). I generally prefer something a bit more stylised or surreal.

I'm gonna toss out Stuck Rubber Baby by Howard Cruse. It's a fictionalised account of a young man in the South coming to terms with being gay during the Civil Rights movement, but informed by Cruse's own experiences as a gay man that grew up at that time. His art is very cartoony and caricaturish, and there's a slightly clunky framing device, but the story is excellent.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
After looking at the badass panels thread im interested in Thunderbolts. Where should I start?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Edit again: Does anyone know about the differences between the original The Crow and the special edition The Crow? I heard it added scenes, I was wondering if any major plot points got changed.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 4, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Big Centipede posted:

After looking at the badass panels thread im interested in Thunderbolts. Where should I start?

Charles Soule run

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

What run of Thunderbolts are you interested in? Criminals pretending to be good guys, Criminals doing good to reduce jail time, Norman Osbourne is nuts, or the one with Deadpool and the Punisher?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Dr. Hurt posted:

What run of Thunderbolts are you interested in? Criminals pretending to be good guys, Criminals doing good to reduce jail time, Norman Osbourne is nuts, or the one with Deadpool and the Punisher?

Those all sound good, but I enjoyed the panels where they were in hell with Mephisto.

Opopanax posted:

Charles Soule run

Is there a collection in graphic novel form?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Check out Ellis' run, it's all collected, mostly self-contained, and fantastic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Is Manhunter by Marc Andreyko any good?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

Please recommend or don't recommend that I purchase:

Jonathan Hickman's:

Secret

A Red Mass for Mars

Red Wing

God is Dead

I love Hickman's work and these are what's left on his Amazon page that I don't have.

Secret is pretty cool from what I remember and I should probably reread it now that it's done. God is Dead is okay for a bit, then Hickman leaves and it's a bit better for awhile then becomes gore for the sake of gore.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Alhazred posted:

Is Manhunter by Marc Andreyko any good?

I'm (slowly) reading through it for the first time and am liking it a lot. Only about 7 or 8 issues in at the moment, but so far I'd definitely say give it a shot.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Whenever I read Green Lantern I always think that the idea of "an intergalactic police force" sounds like a really interesting one that would be fun to read about, but also that the Green Lanterns are really not an intergalactic police force in any meaningful way. I was wondering if there were any comics that were sort of Gotham Central in space, where the characters used detective work to solve cases in a fantastical cosmic world. I'm looking for something that's more investigation based and less punching based than these sorts of things tend to be.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Fuse is a great space detective story but it's not grand scale cosmic if that's what you're looking for. But it is detectives on a space station solving crime through police work. The first TPB is available now and the second arc should be starting soon.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

Fuse is a great space detective story but it's not grand scale cosmic if that's what you're looking for. But it is detectives on a space station solving crime through police work. The first TPB is available now and the second arc should be starting soon.

Oh goddamn, I forgot about this book. The first issue was pretty good!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's pretty generic, but an unrelated search brought me across this guy:
http://goodokbad.com/index.php/about/top100

If you ignore his long-windedness and pretensions to "literature" there's actually some pretty good comic recommendations in there. As long as they're not japanese.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
What are the highlights of the Wally West flash run? Comixology is having a sale on all of it, and I want to read some great Wally. I have already gotten Return of Barry Allan.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I really liked Blitz and Rogue War.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I've been reading about the marvel celestials on wikipedia and am sorta wanting to pick up a few good arcs with them in it. Any suggestions? The only major arc I could really find was The Infinity Gauntlet. Maybe some Doctor Strange arcs?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bazanga posted:

I've been reading about the marvel celestials on wikipedia and am sorta wanting to pick up a few good arcs with them in it. Any suggestions? The only major arc I could really find was The Infinity Gauntlet. Maybe some Doctor Strange arcs?

The Eternals by Neil Gaiman and John Romita Jr., definitely. (I have the TPB if you're interested.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF uses them. Not sure when, what trades exactly, but the whole series was great.

Uncanny Avengers's big threat in "The Apocalypse Twins' was a Celestial about to condemn Earth by literally stomping on it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bazanga posted:

Thor 387-389 is a story about Thor (and his hammer) brought to the breaking point trying to save a planet from Celestial judgement. Great story if you enjoy the more sci fi style Thor tales.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bazanga posted:

Fantastic Four #337-341 (written and drawn by Walter Simonson) isn't primarily a Celestials story, but they figure in it. It's a cracking great read nonetheless; it also features Galactus and time travel.

It's collected in either Fantastic Four Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 1 or the new Fantastic Four "Into the Timestream" Epic Collection (the latter includes about two-thirds of Simonson's run, which is really worth reading in general).

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I picked up all of these recommendations today at the local comic book store. It's gunna be an awesome lazy Sunday with this pile of books.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Earth X but it's more of a What If than anything

Moosechees
Jun 1, 2002

rawr

Goatmask posted:

Sorry, I'm going to double post. I'm looking for non-superhero "graphic novels" (I'm not a big fan of the calling them this but I guess it gets the point across). Something that is very broadly recognised to be good, the sort of thing that would end up on a "100 best comics everyone should read" list.

Things I have read and enjoyed (to varying degrees): Black Hole, Ghost World, The Incal, True Swamp, Building Stories, Maus, Persepolis, From Hell, The Squirrel Machine, The Underwater Welder, I Kill Giants.

Most recently I read Black Hole (which I loved) and Ghost World (which I liked for its themes and how it went about them, but the story didn't grab me as much. Still enjoyed it though). I generally prefer something a bit more stylised or surreal.

I think I have exactly the same taste as you (except that I'm the only person in the world who hated From Hell).

To offer you some more suggestions that I don't think have been made yet:
- "Incognegro" by Mat Johnson about a black man who looks white who infiltrates KKK organizations
- "Habibi" and "Blankets" by Craig Thompson are great. Especially Habibi if you're looking for stylised and surreal.
- "A Contract with God" by Will Eisner
- "Local" by Brian Wood. And "DMZ" isn't a standalone graphic novel, although it is over and it is good.
- Everything Guy Delisle writes is mildly interesting and is sometimes compared to Joe Sacco, but is really annoying because it's so trite and he doesn't realize he's an ugly American (who happens to be Canadian).

Far less likely to make a "top 100" list but still good:
- "Abandon the Old in Tokyo" and "The Pushman and other stories" by Yoshihiro Tatsumi are a bunch of utterly depressing short comics about lonely Japanese men
- "Three Shadows" by Cyril Pedrosa is the saddest comic I've ever read
- "A Sickness in the Family" by Denise Mina and Antonio Fuso
- "George Sprott" and "Wimbledon Green" by Seth are like weird little biographies of people who never actually existed
- "Birdhouse" by Vernon White

Some other suggestions that don't really fit but you may enjoy nonetheless:
- "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud is exactly what it sounds like, and is informational rather than a story, but it's great and everything you read afterwards will be seen in a different light
- "Blood" by Jim DeMatteis and Kent Williams is kinda sorta about a vampire or god or something but it's so pretentious and up its own rear end you can't really even tell. But I still thought it was interesting and had absolutely fantastic artwork, and if you're looking for surreal it fits.

Anyway, I've basically spent the last couple years reading this sort of thing exclusively and I'm running out of ideas for what to read next. So if anyone can replace the "100 best comics ..." thing with "obscure or older comics most people haven't read" (not in a hipster way, just in an "otherwise I've probably already read it" way) that would be great. In fact, if there are any superhero comics that aren't really about powers or fighting or anything, that would go well too. I loved Sandman, Concrete, V for Vendetta, Ex Machina, Sin City, etc.

Moosechees fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 12, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
For both of you: It's a Bird was really good. It's about a comic author grappling with his family's history of Huntington's while trying to write a Superman comic. Superman only appears as a fictional metaphor.

Moosechees: If you dig Sandman, and haven't, make sure you read Lucifer.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I'm looking for some trades for my niece who is 8 right now and will be 9 in December.

I was told she likes Superman, as well as Catwoman and Supergirl--I'm not very familiar with these characters beyond things like Red Son that would probably go over her head.

Does anybody know some kind of big, dumb fun books that don't get very into sex (her mom said that even kissing she finds a little off putting and weird right now) at all? It's been so long since I tried to imagine comic books as literally being for children that I'm drawing a complete blank as to what would appeal to that age these days.

But I have to imagine there's a huge assortment of good clean fun Superman stories collected in trades that I'm just unaware of.

Also, any other good for children comics I'd be interested in hearing about as well, since it sounds like she doesn't like to read very much, but got really into a Superman comic, so I'd like to encourage her as much as a distant uncle can.

I already own the Toon Treasury of Classic Children's Comics, but I'm not sure that book was really geared towards actual children, despite the forward; at least, I'm not sure how well Little Lulu and Pogo would compete with whatever else media is throwing at children these days. But we don't have kids of our own yet, so I don't really know how they absorb books and get into whatever it is they end up liking, so maybe having this big colorful book sitting around might draw her in, even if it's full of comics from 50 years ago?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
As much as I dislike Mark Millar for his cynical cash-grabs and reliance on rape and other shock value, he wrote a surprisingly-good, safe-for-all-ages run on Superman Adventures (based on the mid-'90s animated series) that was collected in two small trade paperbacks.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Moosechees posted:

I think I have exactly the same taste as you (except that I'm the only person in the world who hated From Hell).

To offer you some more suggestions that I don't think have been made yet:
- "Incognegro" by Mat Johnson about a black man who looks white who infiltrates KKK organizations
- "Habibi" and "Blankets" by Craig Thompson are great. Especially Habibi if you're looking for stylised and surreal.
- "A Contract with God" by Will Eisner
- "Local" by Brian Wood. And "DMZ" isn't a standalone graphic novel, although it is over and it is good.
- Everything Guy Delisle writes is mildly interesting and is sometimes compared to Joe Sacco, but is really annoying because it's so trite and he doesn't realize he's an ugly American (who happens to be Canadian).

Far less likely to make a "top 100" list but still good:
- "Abandon the Old in Tokyo" and "The Pushman and other stories" by Yoshihiro Tatsumi are a bunch of utterly depressing short comics about lonely Japanese men
- "Three Shadows" by Cyril Pedrosa is the saddest comic I've ever read
- "A Sickness in the Family" by Denise Mina and Antonio Fuso
- "George Sprott" and "Wimbledon Green" by Seth are like weird little biographies of people who never actually existed
- "Birdhouse" by Vernon White

Some other suggestions that don't really fit but you may enjoy nonetheless:
- "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud is exactly what it sounds like, and is informational rather than a story, but it's great and everything you read afterwards will be seen in a different light
- "Blood" by Jim DeMatteis and Kent Williams is kinda sorta about a vampire or god or something but it's so pretentious and up its own rear end you can't really even tell. But I still thought it was interesting and had absolutely fantastic artwork, and if you're looking for surreal it fits.

Anyway, I've basically spent the last couple years reading this sort of thing exclusively and I'm running out of ideas for what to read next. So if anyone can replace the "100 best comics ..." thing with "obscure or older comics most people haven't read" (not in a hipster way, just in an "otherwise I've probably already read it" way) that would be great. In fact, if there are any superhero comics that aren't really about powers or fighting or anything, that would go well too. I loved Sandman, Concrete, V for Vendetta, Ex Machina, Sin City, etc.

Sorry for double-posting, but I realized I could offer some suggestions here, since I have similar tastes.

Even if you didn't like From Hell, I'm not sure you can read too much Alan Moore. His lesser works--stuff like Supreme, Top 10 (almost all of America's Best, really), his early 2000 AD stuff--are wonderful explorations, celebrations and subversions of Comics. Even random throw away ideas he had for DC in the 80s (like Mogo, the planet sized Green Lantern and the Black Mercy plant he introduced in a Superman story) were picked up by writers as plot points in relatively recent universe spanning events like Blackest Night.

And his best works, like Miracleman (criminally unavailable until recently, though without his name on them due to his continued issues with DC--not gonna weigh in on that debacle) just take for granted that there's an audience for insightful penetrating studies of how humans relate to Power. It's heartbreaking to me that the things he wrote 30 years ago weren't the first shots in a comics revolution--I don't think there's a better writer--a writer who understands the unique opportunities afforded by comics, as well as how to use the language in a way that resonates like the best prose and poetry does.

I'm not sure BSS's opinion on Alan Moore, since I've only recently discovered this part of the forums, but in my opinion you can find value in anything he's written, even if you walk away not really liking it (my opinion of Lost Girls).

It sounds like you've probably already read Daniel Clowes, but he's another writer whose work I've consistently been impressed with. Worth seeking out the stuff that hasn't been anthologized.

Jim Woodring has some very powerful work, particularly in his character Frank. Mostly wordless, these read like cartoons, but in a surreal, dreamlike fashion. I don't really know what they all "mean", but the art is so gorgeous it's a pleasure to explore the world he's created.

I've recently discovered Pogo via the first Fantagraphics sequential reprint of the strips, "Through the Wild Blue Wonder". This is every bit as wonderful as I was led to believe--the art has to be seen to be believed. Each panel has so much action going on, and the plots hit on a physical comedy level as well as on an adult level. The language is also a treat and poetic. Can definitely see some of the inspiration for Calvin and Hobbes here in the art.

Ben Katchor is another I've gotten really into recently. He works with nostalgia the way an artist works with paint. The Julius Knipl, Real Estate Photographer strips are a treasure, and full of weird urban ideas, characters, and businesses that wouldn't really make sense in the real world, but they aren't fantastical; more, they presuppose this different kind of society that could produce a "Small Waste Collection" agency that has keys to every person's house so they can get in to empty the crumbs from their toasters, then use those crumbs to feed the city's bird population. (I think that strip is actually from "Hand-Drying in America", but the tone of all his stuff is very similar).

I'm sure you've read Love and Rockets, but their stuff is still exquisitely drawn and both strange and down to earth at the same time.

Jason is great--not sure if he's done a bad piece of work. His animal people are very expressive and his stories are often dialogue-sparse, which means you spend longer "reading" the panels to discern the action.

Berlin by Jason Lutes is just fantastic--great detailed art and an incredibly well-researched setting of post WW1 Berlin. You feel like you've learned something about history after reading it.

Eddie Campbell's "The Years Have Pants" which collects all his Alec stories is fantastic as well. It's autobiographical, hilarious and 'deep' in turn. Couldn't recommend this book enough.

Hopefully that's a few names you hadn't discovered yet!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm looking for some trades for my niece who is 8 right now and will be 9 in December.

I was told she likes Superman, as well as Catwoman and Supergirl--I'm not very familiar with these characters beyond things like Red Son that would probably go over her head.

Does anybody know some kind of big, dumb fun books that don't get very into sex (her mom said that even kissing she finds a little off putting and weird right now) at all? It's been so long since I tried to imagine comic books as literally being for children that I'm drawing a complete blank as to what would appeal to that age these days.

But I have to imagine there's a huge assortment of good clean fun Superman stories collected in trades that I'm just unaware of.

Also, any other good for children comics I'd be interested in hearing about as well, since it sounds like she doesn't like to read very much, but got really into a Superman comic, so I'd like to encourage her as much as a distant uncle can.

I already own the Toon Treasury of Classic Children's Comics, but I'm not sure that book was really geared towards actual children, despite the forward; at least, I'm not sure how well Little Lulu and Pogo would compete with whatever else media is throwing at children these days. But we don't have kids of our own yet, so I don't really know how they absorb books and get into whatever it is they end up liking, so maybe having this big colorful book sitting around might draw her in, even if it's full of comics from 50 years ago?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures In The 8th Grade. SUPERGIRL: COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE 8TH GRADE!

Atomic Robo is pretty kid-friendly without feeling like it's talking down to kids.

Marvel's Power Pack minis from a few years back are good, as are Spider-Man Loves Mary-Jane and X-Men/Wolverine/Uncanny X-Men First Class (they're nothing like the movie, and in this case, that's a good thing)

Bone, is obviously the go-to, as well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Marvel's Power Pack minis from a few years back are good

Yo for real if you want a kid book, you can not go wrong with Power Pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And... I'm going to get run out of not just BSS but probably SA on a rail for this, but... IDW's My Little Pony comics are pretty great, especially for kids that age. The art is super cute, and big splash pages are very detailed, and the dialogue is snappy and funny.