Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Any good books on Cardinal Mazarin? I've been doing some reading into the old regime, and the old dude seems like he lead a pretty interesting life. Preferably one that can give some insight into the inner workings of the Church at the time, because one description had him as a kind of womanizing adventurer of a clergymen, which strikes me as a bit odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

A Dapper Walrus posted:

, because one description had him as a kind of womanizing adventurer of a clergymen, which strikes me as a bit odd.
Oh dear, are you ever in for a shock!

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Any good books on Cardinal Mazarin? I've been doing some reading into the old regime, and the old dude seems like he lead a pretty interesting life. Preferably one that can give some insight into the inner workings of the Church at the time, because one description had him as a kind of womanizing adventurer of a clergymen, which strikes me as a bit odd.

Lecherous, power-hungry clergymen? Somebody tell the pope! :ohdear:

But seriously, Treasure's Mazarin: The Crisis of Absolutism in France is a solid political biography of Mazarin. It focuses less on his personal life and more on his political life, if that's what you were interested in.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

Basically a overview similiar to how A World Undone does it; Chronologically I guess including the events leading up. Don't mind if it's several books, I don't like books that get too into technicals though about weapons and such. This might be a impossible request considering the source material hah.

Well, I suppose one of the classics is A.J.P Taylor's The Origins of the Second World War. It is a little dated at this point, however and it certainly controversial. His thesis has drawn a lot of criticism over the years and is generally considered false at this point. Richard Overy is an alternative.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Taylor's analysis of the origins of WWII is definitely out of fashion these days but I wouldn't call it false. It has it's merits as one of the first major works in English which tried to move away from the Hitler-centric viewpoint that had dominated scholarship up until then

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Seams posted:

Taylor's analysis of the origins of WWII is definitely out of fashion these days but I wouldn't call it false. It has it's merits as one of the first major works in English which tried to move away from the Hitler-centric viewpoint that had dominated scholarship up until then

I want to emphasize this - if you're going to read history you really need to get away from a really hard and set notion of "false vs. correct" when it comes to historical interpretations. They're best taken as being part of an ongoing discussion, and to fully understand that discussion as a whole it's generally best if you're familiar with all the contributions and the order they happen in.

Think of it like this: history books are basically the super-OG version of forums posts, only they happen at what's comparatively a glacial pace when taken side by side with your average D&D thread. Think of each book as a separate, distinct post with an author either making his own argument, trying to correct someone else's argument, or just presenting something he thought was neat. Once in a while you'll get some crackpot who actually argues something that's just completely demonstrably wrong, but it's relatively uncommon. Much the same way that it's difficult to jump in at the tail end of a 25 page thread without having at least read the OP and a few key posts in-between, you can't really just grab the latest book on any given historical subject and say that it's the most definitively "right" one.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Seams posted:

The impression I've gotten from the current scholarship is that Taylor's thesis is generally considered to be false as a stand alone. But it is worth reading because both yourself and Cyrano have mentioned, it's important to get a handle on the general scholarship on a topic in the order that it's been published. A good example would be books regarding the First World War--in order to really get a handle on the topic, you have to read Fischer and understand his thesis and the controversy it stirred up.

And, also, with historical works, always, always, always read the preface/introduction/forward to get a handle on the author's methodology and focus.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Roark posted:

Lecherous, power-hungry clergymen? Somebody tell the pope! :ohdear:

But seriously, Treasure's Mazarin: The Crisis of Absolutism in France is a solid political biography of Mazarin. It focuses less on his personal life and more on his political life, if that's what you were interested in.

Haha, thanks very much for the recommendation. Trust me, I know all about the poo poo-show that is the Catholic Church, what with the lovely bribery, lechery, corruption, and general crappiness. It's just that I always felt that they tried to keep the lechery more underwraps at the higher levels, like being one of the major influences on the French monarchy. Everything else was par for the course - nothing says man of God more than having a personal army or more money than most states at the time - and all the lechery was 'under wraps' aka totally known by everybody but acceptable, within certain limits.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Could anyone recommend me some books on 20th century Korean history? Specifically about their split in the 50s and its results? I'm not really looking for any military history but it would be alright if it's pretty great. I'm also looking for books with a focus on N. Korea in recent times aswell.

Thanks.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What's a good bio of Napoleon III? I'm particularly interested in pre-Empire shenanigans (the failed coup in Boulogne etc.)

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

40-Degree Day posted:

Could anyone recommend me some books on 20th century Korean history? Specifically about their split in the 50s and its results? I'm not really looking for any military history but it would be alright if it's pretty great. I'm also looking for books with a focus on N. Korea in recent times aswell.

Thanks.

Nothing to Envy is a really interesting look into the lives of some ordinary North Koreans who later defected to the South. I finished it not too long ago and pretty much blew through it. It's more anecdotal than historical, though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jedi425 posted:

Nothing to Envy is a really interesting look into the lives of some ordinary North Koreans who later defected to the South. I finished it not too long ago and pretty much blew through it. It's more anecdotal than historical, though.

I can second this, this is a phenomenal book if you're curious about everyday life in North Korea, especially during the famine in the 90s. It won't tell you much about Korean history farther back than the 90s that you couldn't find on Wikipedia though.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I really like "Escape from Camp 14" for insight into modern NK.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

Kuiperdolin posted:

What's a good bio of Napoleon III? I'm particularly interested in pre-Empire shenanigans (the failed coup in Boulogne etc.)

Napoleon III and His Carnival Empire by John Bierman and Napoleon III and His Regime: An Extravaganza are both pretty solid. Bierman's book has quite a bit on the occasional lunacy of his personal life.

Roark fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 6, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Does anyone have any recommendations for books dealing with politics/sociology of interwar Japan?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Roark posted:

Napoleon III and His Carnival Empire by John Bierman and Napoleon III and His Regime: An Extravaganza are both pretty solid. Bierman's book has quite a bit on the occasional lunacy of his personal life.

Thanks.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Does anyone have recommendations for a good overview of pre-industrial history of Ireland, and books for Savoralona and the Florentine republic at the turn of the 16th century?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Drone posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for books dealing with politics/sociology of interwar Japan?

Herbert Bix's Hirohito and the Making of Modern Japan might have a bit of what you're looking for. It focuses on Hirohito (obviously), but along the way it says quite a bit about the interwar period and Japan's move toward its version of fascism. It's been a while since I've read it, but I remember the cultural chaos and flux of the interwar period to be described pretty well.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

Bushmeister posted:

books for Savoralona and the Florentine republic at the turn of the 16th century

Lauro Martines' April Blood, followed by his Fire in the City. The former covers the failed Pazzi coup against Lorenzo the Magnificent and the subsequent Medici crackdown in 1478, and the latter continues the narrative with a focus on Savonarola's life and his regime in the city. Martines is one of the big beasts of Italian Renaissance history and I've really enjoyed what I've read of his, even if his prose can be a bit stilted in places (English is not his first or second language).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jedi425 posted:

Heard about this on an NPR show a while back, sounded fascinating. The title is a play on a North Korean song which goes on about how there is "nothing to envy" in the outside world, while ironically their own circumstances are nothing anyone would envy..

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Anyone have a recommendation on the history of Druids? I'm looking at Hutton's Blood and Mistletoe but I don't particularly want to burn through 100 pages on Obern Zell-Ravenheart and the like.

Something seriously scholarly on the Celts (esp. of the British Isles) would also be ideal. Or anything on sub-Roman Britain pre-Norman Conquest.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 9, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I'm interested in reading about Romania during Nicolae Ceaușescu's regime and then the Romanian revolution. Any recommendations?

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Roark posted:

Lauro Martines' April Blood, followed by his Fire in the City. The former covers the failed Pazzi coup against Lorenzo the Magnificent and the subsequent Medici crackdown in 1478, and the latter continues the narrative with a focus on Savonarola's life and his regime in the city. Martines is one of the big beasts of Italian Renaissance history and I've really enjoyed what I've read of his, even if his prose can be a bit stilted in places (English is not his first or second language).

Thanks a lot, my books arrived today. Can see the thing about the prose after reading some ten odd pages but its nowhere near a dealbreaker.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'd also like to read more on the Korean War perhaps. I've always had an outside grasp of the whole thing, more like how the Korean War fit into the Cold War and how it affected X or Y, not the actual details of the conflict and maybe stuff about the clash between Truman and MacArthur. Having recently read Philip Roth's novel Indignation, set during the Korean War, and having read the awesome novel The Orphan Master's Son, I have been starting to think more on the Korean War and how little I know about the actual events of it (vague things about the Chinese and those POWs who ended up staying with the North Koreans/Chinese).

Coldest Winter by David Halberstam is pretty good, but is focused almost entirely on the American perspective/experience. It also does a pretty good job of showing how badly MacArthur and Ned Almond botched things up (and in my opinion, how Matthew Ridgeway is one of the most underrated American commanders of the 20th century).

Max Hastings's The Korean War is supposed to be pretty good as well, but is more well rounded and looks at the various UN nations that participated in the conflict rather than just the U.S. for the most part.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Juanito posted:

I'm interested in reading about Romania during Nicolae Ceaușescu's regime and then the Romanian revolution. Any recommendations?

The Romanian Revolution of December 1989 by Peter Siani-Davies is a pretty good read. It's been awhile since I picked it up, but I remember it doing a good job of accounting for various viewpoints and controversies that took place throughout the revolution and after.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Having just watched Fury, is anyone able to recommend a good book on tank warfare. I know it was all wrong and full of Hollywood tropes but it would be good to understand what things were really like.

Anything from crew experiences to how they were used and everything in between. Preference for material focusing on WWII but doesn't need to be exclusive.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

sc0tty posted:

Having just watched Fury, is anyone able to recommend a good book on tank warfare. I know it was all wrong and full of Hollywood tropes but it would be good to understand what things were really like.

Anything from crew experiences to how they were used and everything in between. Preference for material focusing on WWII but doesn't need to be exclusive.

Go to the military history thread and ask there. Those guys know their stuff and love tankchat.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Anyone know any good book about Philip II and he made Macedon dominant in Greece?

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 31, 2014

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Any recommendations for space program history? Any for the history of egyptology or of egypt?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What sort of thing are you looking for for space history? Apollo by Catherine Bly Cox and Charles Murray is the best book on that particular program, general histories are harder to come by. The astronauts of course have released biographies galore.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Any recommendations on Ottoman history? Just finished Norwich's magnificent Byz trilogy and would like something from the other side of things now, preferrably with writing as enjoyable as his.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

What I'm looking for is an accessible book on Nasser/Pan-Arabism. Preferably something that isn't dominated by Suez.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

FYI the Kindle version of Furies: War in Europe 1450-1700 is currently US $3 on Amazon - had it on my reading list from previous recommendations in the Military History thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Furies-Europe-1450-1700-Lauro-Martines-ebook/dp/B009K4Z37W/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

KoldPT posted:

Any recommendations on Ottoman history? Just finished Norwich's magnificent Byz trilogy and would like something from the other side of things now, preferrably with writing as enjoyable as his.

Osman's Dream by Caroline Finkel is a pretty good overview of the empire from its foundation to the collapse after WWI.

And if you want to keep going past that, A Peace to End All Peace by David Fromkin goes into great detail on the politics and backroom dealings that resulted in the Middle East partition after WWI.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

What would be The One book abouf fascism? I'm looking to read up on it after my semester is over.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

ulvir posted:

What would be The One book abouf fascism? I'm looking to read up on it after my semester is over.

The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert O Paxton

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

dokmo posted:

The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert O Paxton

Thanks a bunch.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

ulvir posted:

Liberal Facism by :suicide:

Seriously don't ever touch that book. Ever.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

"In the book, Goldberg argues that fascist movements were and are left-wing." Wow, what a remarkably original idea that no right-wing nutjob has ever thought up before. This sounds like groundbreaking work with a solid academic research behind it.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

And if you want to keep going past that, A Peace to End All Peace by David Fromkin goes into great detail on the politics and backroom dealings that resulted in the Middle East partition after WWI.

I read the first half of that Fromkin book. I can't really recommend it. It gets bogged down in the minutia of who wrote what report, and "this guy talked to this guy and said this, but he didn't talk to this other guy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'm looking for a good book about The Korean War. Preferably something that goes into the background and the politics of it.

I'm currently most of the way through Peter the Great by Robert K Massie and I'm loving it. I like the way Charles XII kinda comes in and takes over the book for a while.