Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

ReindeerF posted:

Great! I've always found that to be the calmest, most ripoff-free way to go as well - also pretty.

On eats, I'm usually looking for Western food, so my Khmer recommendations aren't too hot, but I usually go to White Rose, which is in the middle of town. It's got a good cross-section of Khmer standards like loc lac, amok and other things. I also recommend the lemongrass chicken. Outside of there, I sometimes go eat stir fried noodles at the old market in the morning (dry, not wet). It's a more authentic experience, heh (you'll see). Also, Khmer BBQ will be good wherever you get it - mix the pepper and dried rice powder with fresh squeezed lime and go to town.

Aside from Khmer food, there are these really good spiced up cheese wontons (YES, I KNOW) at Gecko Cafe in the middle of town. Most of their stuff is good, but give the burger a miss. The Huevos Rancheros at Cafe Eden on the riverside are the bomb, as is much of their other food. There's a new place on TripAdvisor that's shot to #1 called Jaan Bai - haven't been, maybe give that a try and report back? I almost forgot to mention Patrice's places, Madison Corner and Pomme d'Amour. The latter is trying to be upscale and ends up feeling kind of corny and is a bit overpriced for what you get, but he's such a character that I usually go once anyway. Madison Corner, on the other hand, is a great place for breakfast, fries and sandwiches (and late night beer). Many of the Western places are run by missionaries (Gecko, etc) and Patrice will proudly tell you if you talk to him long enough that his restaurants are atheist (or something similar) which cracks me up. Other than that, just explore!

As for sightseeing, the Killing Caves is a bit dreary and your typical poorly guided tragedy tourism in Cambodia. It's a very interesting thing to see because of the old temple and the gun emplacements with monkeys crawling all over them - also, it's on top of a hill so you get a great view of the countryside. The bamboo train is gimmicky, but worth doing once. Don't make the mistake I made and start your tours in the afternoon and then end up coming back down dark, dusty farm roads in the cold rain way past sunset. There are also some art galleries where they train local artists and then sell their stuff and those are sometimes pretty cool. Once place also sells old Khmer antique signs and posters and things they've found, pretty interesting stuff.

Mostly I just go jog around the countryside and check out the people and places. It's a very quaint old colonial capital on the Western side where the old town is. Other side's kind of newer and forgettable. Have fun!

EDIT: Please try this place and let me know!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g303666-d6712221-Reviews-Red_Chili_Mexican_Grill-Battambang_Battambang_Province.html

I love Mexican food ^__^

Wow I kinda wish I was staying here longer now. I got in Saturday afternoon and walked around the city a bit. I ate at white rose, which was delicious. Today I went around with a tuktuk driver and he took me to Banana temple and the killing caves with the temple/monastery on top. I could've sat at that temples for hours. It was so peaceful and beautiful with an incredible view.

I ate at that Mexican place - Red Chili. Oh my god it was set up EXACTLY like a Chipotle restaurant. Choose your type of meal (I got a burrito in a spinach wrap), then choose your rice, beans, protein, salsa, toppings, etc. As long as you're not expecting a completely authentic american burrito experien , you'll be pleasantly surprised. So thanks for that suggestion too.

I stayed at Battambang My Homestay. Out of the dozens and dozens of different places I've stayed in SE Asia, this has got to be one of my favorites. It was a little outside of town, but it was really comfortable, especially the bed. The owner, Mr. Kun, teaches law at a college nearby. He and his family were extremely friendly even by SE Asian standards. I know not many people will pass through Battambang but if so, they should stay here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So good chance I come back to TH for a month or so soon on business. Won't have to check in at office more than twice though, so I can work from home and go out quite a bit. Hopefully the red tape doesn't blow this.. would be my 3rd consecutive free Fall vacation to SEA

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 6, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Will
a State Department travel warning or advisory trigger a company policy where you can't travel?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Will
a State Department travel warning or advisory trigger a company policy where you can't travel?

No, the red tape would be pushing preliminary work on the project down the timetable to save money rather than doing it in the Fall. They want this work done now, regardless of what political issues are taking place there- they including the Thai government (but then again, saving some money good so who knows)

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 6, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWA5-xrp5dU

:ughh:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You just knew it would be Thaitanium.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

The words on my tombstone

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Carabao x Willie Nelson

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

In noi bai on the way home. 😂

Vietnam or rather Ha noi and Ha long are loving fantastic. Really loved it here.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Riding a bicycle in Thai cities: suicide or not?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure you'd sweat to death so yeah.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I rode a bicycle in Hoi An and my balls felt like Niagara Falls at the end.

Outside of Bangkok you'd probably be fine riding a bicycle, though. To be honest I'd rather ride a bike somewhere like Chiang Mai than most cities in the UK. The wide roads give other drivers a lot of room to go around you.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Voting in favour of the "hot as gently caress but doable" option.

I rode a bicycle around the historic site at Sukhothai for a day. It was awesome - no vehicles, not too hot, gorgeous scenery, but it's hardly a city.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I rode a bike around Angkor and the whole time I was thinking "well this is loving dumb I could have rented a motorbike with a guy to drive it around for the day for like eight bucks."

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I don't think that's doable at Sukhothai. The bikes were kind of fun, partly because I'm a manchild and mostly because the brakes, steering, and pedals had alarmingly hilarious tendencies to malfunction at critical moments.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 9, 2014

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Finch! posted:

Voting in favour of the "hot as gently caress but doable" option.

I rode a bicycle around the historic site at Sukhothai for a day. It was awesome - no vehicles, not too hot, gorgeous scenery, but it's hardly a city.

Yeah I did that in Sukhothai too except in the late afternoon so it wasn't super hot. I'm more worried about being run over by a drunk person, it's shocking to my Western sensibility how normal it is to drive home after a full on drinking session. Everyone is like yeah it's bad to do and then they drink a beer tower, grab the keys and go.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

I rode a bike around Angkor and the whole time I was thinking "well this is loving dumb I could have rented a motorbike with a guy to drive it around for the day for like eight bucks."

Hired a guy in a 90s Camry and never looked back. The AC worked great.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Negligent posted:

Everyone is like yeah it's bad to do and then they drink a beer tower, grab the keys and go.

There are parts of America where things still work that way. I remember a girl in college wouldn't get in the car with me because I'd had three beers and I was totally confused as to what the issue was. It was like meeting an alien.

Come to think of it I don't believe I've ever had a male friend who wouldn't just drive around loving blitzed from time to time.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 9, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Negligent posted:

Riding a bicycle in Thai cities: suicide or not?
It's my primary mode of transport and has been for years. It's fun, but get a mask. Riding behind buses is not fun. I've only had two accidents ever, nothing to sweat over.

Go for it! I've got a great bike store if you need one.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

No way. I took a mountain bike to Angkor and it was awesome. You made the right call. Biking off road around the ruins was great. I went around all the temples, one of the ladies selling stuff yelled "I love you!" as I sped past. So people there think it's cool too. Got lost in rice fields on the way back, but everyone I passed yelled "Hello!" and I got some fresh cane juice with ice and… man I just remembered the good parts of Cambodia are so good.

I also had to ride on the back of a motorbike when I got there, since I took the wrong road and ended up at a side entrance. The guard dude drove me to the main gate, and getting off the bike then was the first and only time I got off a motorbike the wrong way and cooked the side of my calf to medium rare. It made the next two days pretty tough since biking with a burn from a motorbike exhaust is not too much fun. So, -1 point for motorbikes.

Really glad they got rid of all the land mines there.

In the cities, I only had a bicycle in Chiang Mai. It is fine as long as you understand the rules of the road and how Thai drivers think. I don't know if I would do it in Bangkok, since I don't even know how to find a road sign in Bangkok, let alone find my own way around.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I was there in April which is the hottest time of the year. Also there were a lot of Cambodian families visiting Angkor (because April = Christmas holidays there obv) and the kids all had flutes TOOT TOOT TOOT TOOT. The touts were pretty annoying actually, I think because they knew the Cambodian families didn't want any of their trash so they only really had me to hound around the place.

Angkor was still awesome but it was way too hot to be biking around during the day -- I'd already lived in SE Asia for like a year when I went there and could handle the heat but it was just oo much. Also back then there wasn't anything aircon anywhere near the ruins, maybe there is now, but it was just full on blast the whole day unless you wanted to bike back to Siem Reap. And people were still told to not stray off the paths. I don't know if that was the same as "don't drink the ice" but apparently it wasn't all de-mined yet.

It wasn't a mountain bike either it was a normal old lady bike with a fender and a kickstand and a hokey little lock like they had on the bikes in China where a metal tooth sprirals through the spokes on the back wheel and then back around into itself and then you lock it that way with a little key. That way if anyone wants to steal your bike they have to carry it instead of ride it, but that's it.

I wouldn't personally be uncomfortable riding a bike anywhere in Thailand but I'd be awfully careful on major roads in Bangkok. Thai drivers are better about seeing and not running over motorcycles than the aggressive Escalade wielding East Coast fuckheads that run around on some of the roads here, but like you said the rules are different. Turn signal from a truck = "give me the right of way because I'm doing a thing" not "please let me do a thing." Flashing lights = "I'm not stopping for you, get out of the way." But Thai drivers will yield and stop and slow down and do reasonable stuff too.

raton fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 9, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you start biking in Cambodia, Thailand is a breeze. Thailand moves faster, so there's a bit more hazard, but Cambodia is so illogical and bizarre that if you can figure out how to bike there then the transition to Thailand makes sense - riding on the wrong side of the road, turning into traffic and all that.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

If you start biking in Cambodia, Thailand is a breeze. Thailand moves faster, so there's a bit more hazard, but Cambodia is so illogical and bizarre that if you can figure out how to bike there then the transition to Thailand makes sense - riding on the wrong side of the road, turning into traffic and all that.

Well in Cambodia in a big enough city there are actually 4 "lanes" - two near the centre that go in the normal direction for cars, then two more on the sides that go in the opposite direction for scooters, bikes, tractors, and really whoever else wants to use them.

It's riding in the country you have to pay attention. I was going about 25k and there was a tractor thing passing me slowly on the left, and I was paying so much attention to it because really what the hell are those things, that I didn't look ahead. When I looked up, there was a water buffalo on the road 10 feet in front of me. Because of the tractor, there was no way to go around it. I came about 3 feet away from having an awesome story about the one time I hit a cow on a bike.

Instead the only good story I have is about the one time I rear-ended a tuk tuk. While it was parked.

Horatius Bonar fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 9, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Both my wrecks were me rear-ending Thai drivers. One a guy on a moto who was gawking at something on the sidewalk and slowed down infinitely and one a taxi who slammed on the brakes. Generally speaking, I don't find it an unsafe place to drive. Yeah, Cambodia moves slower and all, but that's the point. It's easier to learn in a way-more-ridiculous, much slower country like Cambodia I think. Bangkok feels like it's moving really fast for most people (when it's not).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I'd be more worried about riding along the sidewalks than the streets. Never know where a pothole or random piece of metal might be

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My usual issue with sidewalks isn't the pavement, it's having to weave through low hanging vendor umbreallas like a drunken 6'3" Arachne.

Just look at that bad mixed metaphor.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Anybody know where in BKK I'd go to buy a pullup bar for a doorframe?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

Anybody know where in BKK I'd go to buy a pullup bar for a doorframe?
Tesco might have one, they have some weight stuff in the sporting goods section.

EDIT: Yep, Google confirms - Tesco.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I didn't even think of Tesco. Thanks.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, it's kind of surprising, but they have this weird smorgasbord of fitness equipment at the larger stores.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I've found myself "stuck" in Kampot since Monday. I love it here and I don't want to leave. And actually I just extended my stay until this coming Monday. Everyone's right about driving in Cambodia. It's slower, but more stressful than driving in Thailand (to me). A combination of worse roads, much more fluid traffic activity, and the dogs seem crazier here, if you can believe that. I've met so many expats here too and I totally understand not wanting to leave. I haven't even done much, mostly sat around by the river drinking some Angkors and eating some awesome food.

The ribs at Rusty Keyhole are a bit overrated though.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
The guy who's in charge of the organization in Thailand that I took my TESOL course with stated the following in an email to a staff member of the American "teach abroad" organization that I applied through:

TESOL Organization in Thailand Director Dude posted:

Just wanted to give you an update on [Math Debater]. He is a very strange young man. During the course we all saw that and he had trouble connecting with anyone else but he was pretty good in the classroom and very high energy. He might be autistic or just very socially awkward. The school called recently and said that they are concerned about [Math Debater] because all he does is sing in class and doesn't seem to teach. Moreover, recently they blew bubbles at the school and he could not blow bubbles. He didn't know how! He inhaled instead blowing out and he choked on the bubbles.

He left the school voluntary two days ago. I think he realized the issue.

We are going to talk to him too over the weekend.

He CC'd me on this email and then sent an apologetic followup email stating that the message wasn't intended for me. I suppose it might not be totally proper for me to post this here, but I found the email to be amusing and I assume that other posters on these forums may also be amused. I did talk to this guy on the phone earlier today and he was very nice to me and I was very nice to him and I have all positive and no negative feelings toward him and his organization.

And hanging out in Thailand has been way more fun now that I'm free from TESOL-related stress! I'll be flying to Cambodia next week, and I'm really looking forward to checking out that groovy country!

Edit: Though it does make me feel kinda sad to realize that the shopping malls in Cambodia probably aren't as mindblowingly mondo as the ones here in Thailand!

Math Debater fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 10, 2014

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There are some pretty nice shopping malls in cambodia (at least phnom penh), but nothing on the level of Paragon or anything. Also, lol at that email. Stay safe strange ghost

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Math Debater posted:

The guy who's in charge of the organization in Thailand that I took my TESOL course with stated the following in an email to a staff member of the American "teach abroad" organization that I applied through:

TESOL Organization in Thailand Director Dude posted: posted:

Just wanted to give you an update on [Math Debater]. He is a very strange young man. During the course we all saw that and he had trouble connecting with anyone else but he was pretty good in the classroom and very high energy. He might be autistic or just very socially awkward. The school called recently and said that they are concerned about [Math Debater] because all he does is sing in class and doesn't seem to teach. Moreover, recently they blew bubbles at the school and he could not blow bubbles. He didn't know how! He inhaled instead blowing out and he choked on the bubbles.

He left the school voluntary two days ago. I think he realized the issue.

We are going to talk to him too over the weekend.

He CC'd me on this email and then sent an apologetic followup email stating that the message wasn't intended for me. I suppose it might not be totally proper for me to post this here, but I found the email to be amusing and I assume that other posters on these forums may also be amused. I did talk to this guy on the phone earlier today and he was very nice to me and I was very nice to him and I have all positive and no negative feelings toward him and his organization.

And hanging out in Thailand has been way more fun now that I'm free from TESOL-related stress! I'll be flying to Cambodia next week, and I'm really looking forward to checking out that groovy country!

Edit: Though it does make me feel kinda sad to realize that the shopping malls in Cambodia probably aren't as mindblowingly mondo as the ones here in Thailand!

:ohdear: Please god be trolling.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

Math Debater posted:

Please return to the US and seek proper medical help.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mrg220t posted:

Please return to the US and seek proper medical help.

For what? Dudes just doing what he does, whatever that is.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
It's definitely trolling. Sorry, the bubble blowing was just one step too far, you had a really good run though man. Top notch troll-job A+.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

http://youtu.be/ji3QcgybUYY

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
EDIT: ^^^^ Well jeez I was right. I just listened to the Carlos Puebla and I want to punch him for ruining an awesome song. :(

Math Debater posted:

The school called recently and said that they are concerned about [Math Debater] because all he does is sing in class and doesn't seem to teach.

So we you just improvising a cappella concerts in your classrooms, all day long? :toot:

Senso fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 10, 2014