Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Probably a dumb question, but how good is Civ V with just the Gods and Kings expansion?

I heard Brave New World is really great, but is the revamped culture/diplomacy the main selling point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Half-Life did that as well. Worse still, I got burned by that back in 1999, then did the same thing again 5 years ago before I had a Steam account.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tezzeract posted:

Probably a dumb question, but how good is Civ V with just the Gods and Kings expansion?

I heard Brave New World is really great, but is the revamped culture/diplomacy the main selling point?

The culture / diplomacy stuff improves the late game for any playstyle, and there's also a bit more to the trading system. If you don't have G&K it includes a bunch of the mechanics from it, but I'm not sure of the specifics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tezzeract posted:

It's pretty good, cultural victories are pretty boring and there's a few tech trees you'll miss but it fixed a lot from vanilla Civ V.

Usually it's cheaper to get the bundle with all of the expansions than buying each separately though.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Unlucky7 posted:

Can someone explain the Wolfenstein New Order tech to me? I month ago I tried upgrading my GTX 560Ti to a 760. Now, the 560 Ti is a great little card, but in that game it struggled whenever there was a battle in a wide open space. Upgrading the video card did not help at all. I was disappointed at the time, as that was kinda my frame of reference, so I decided to return it.

Tonight, I got a GTX 970. Again, it did not help in the Wolfenstein problem area. But then I turned on Shadow of Mordor.

Before, it handled high settings but at 30 fps. After, turned up all the settings to max or near max, and it ran like absolute butter.

Could CPU be a bottleneck for Wolfenstein? I have a i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz.

I ran it perfectly fine on a GTX 560ti too, but with an i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz with 8 GB RAM. I never noticed any lag and just ran it with whatever settings the game suggested.

iuvian posted:

The i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz is really ancient, it was released in 2008. It wouldn't surprise me if it choked during a few scenes in New Order that hit the CPU.

Yeah, a bit of choking here and there could probably happen, but as far as I can read from this wiki article, there's really not that big of a difference between the 8xx and 9xx series.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor is pretty cool but at the same time it suffers from the same problem as almost every video game that has a recurring enemy person. When you beat them, you usually beat the everloving poo poo out of them. Some of them you can just outright kill the first time you meet them... but then they show up again anyway even though they were very obviously dead beforehand. Recurring baddies is a neat system but it does have a couple of those logical issues that you can't really just handwave away with "well it's a video game".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tezzeract posted:

As I heard from people who knew more about older Civ games than me, G&K brought Civ V from a mediocre Civ game to either tying with Civ IV or falling short by a litte bit. With both expansions, Civ V is probably the best Civ game, but with just G&K it's still pretty strongly up there.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

If you chop their head off, then they can't come back. In the Captain screen, if they're lying down, they can come back; if their head is on a spike, they can't.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Occultatio posted:

"Bioshock Infinite can be read as a text in a manner similar to how literature can be read, because like literature it develops a central theme. This makes it unusual among video games."

EDIT: "And if you say it sucks because the story is "dumb" you're basically like people who say [insert work of generally-accepted-to-be-great literature here] is bad because it's boring."

Going off of this, the back of the Count Chocula box can also be read as a text because it develops the theme of buy Count Chocula, and I'm sick of the Devry Comparative Lit. department insisting that I revise my dissertation proposal!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CJacobs posted:

The nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor is pretty cool but at the same time it suffers from the same problem as almost every video game that has a recurring enemy person. When you beat them, you usually beat the everloving poo poo out of them. Some of them you can just outright kill the first time you meet them... but then they show up again anyway even though they were very obviously dead beforehand. Recurring baddies is a neat system but it does have a couple of those logical issues that you can't really just handwave away with "well it's a video game".

They are literally magic made creatures in a fantasy land and they come back with scars etc from where you stabbed them before, if you chop of their head they stay dead though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

They are literally magic made creatures in a fantasy land and they come back with scars etc from where you stabbed them before, if you chop of their head they stay dead though.

I kinda wish that they'd even come back headless (but very, very rarely), just to gently caress with people. Having your nemesis come back from the brink of death with massive, visible injuries from your previous attempt on their life is badass.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Oh for Christ's sake Uplay, I played a bit of Valiant Hearts, stopped, tried to play it again after a while, Uplay wanted to update and started to do so, pressed x, tried to play when I had more time and now it doesn't start up at all.

Uplay is the worst, just gently caress it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dominic White posted:

I kinda wish that they'd even come back headless (but very, very rarely), just to gently caress with people. Having your nemesis come back from the brink of death with massive, visible injuries from your previous attempt on their life is badass.

Sort of like Mike the Headless Chicken but with a thirst for vengeance.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Oh for Christ's sake Uplay, I played a bit of Valiant Hearts, stopped, tried to play it again after a while, Uplay wanted to update and started to do so, pressed x, tried to play when I had more time and now it doesn't start up at all.

Gud jeb, Ubi. At least it hasn't eaten your save (yet) :ubisoft:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ddraig posted:

Sort of like Mike the Headless Chicken but with a thirst for vengeance.

"He's trying to bite me! He's rubbing his bloody stump on my face, it's making me very uncomfortable! This is really gross!"

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

ManOfTheYear posted:

I'm personally a fan of how it sometimes will freeze up my computer for 15 seconds when I boot or close out of a game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Delusibeta posted:

Gud jeb, Ubi. At least it hasn't eaten your save (yet) :ubisoft:

Turning off cloud saves mostly fixes that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mokinokaro posted:

Turning off cloud saves mostly fixes that.
No, it doesn't. Save clouds are turned off by default nowadays and the save overwriting/deleting still happens because the reasons are different. Uplay sucks balls.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Stop buying games that use Uplay.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Palpek posted:

No, it doesn't. Save clouds are turned off by default nowadays and the save overwriting/deleting still happens because the reasons are different. Uplay sucks balls.

I wanted to play AC4 last night so I tried launching it through the Uplay launcher because I was already there, but it forced me to launch from Steam, at which point it started and launched the game through Uplay. :psyduck:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

I wanted to play AC4 last night so I tried launching it through the Uplay launcher because I was already there, but it forced me to launch from Steam, at which point it started and launched the game through Uplay. :psyduck:

It's because if you buy them on steam they use steam for some of the patching iirc.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

CJacobs posted:

This. i was watching the Best Friends Play of this game and I - and apparently they too - thought that the game just glitched out or had a limited set of characters or something when the same dude they had killed appeared twice after his first dead. Like the animation involved the sword going through his skull. You just don't get better after that.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

This. i was watching the Best Friends Play of this game and I - and apparently they too - thought that the game just glitched out or had a limited set of characters or something when the same dude they had killed appeared twice after his first dead. Like the animation involved the sword going through his skull. You just don't get better after that.

To be fair the main character does the exact same poo poo so i think it's just fair.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

ManOfTheYear posted:

You just don't get better after that.

You do if you're an orc.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Foulbrood posted:

The ingame tutorial is bad and downright wrong on many counts. I got into CK2 fairly recently and I'd recommend watching the tutorial series done by Arumba on YouTube, where he takes an Irish count all the way to kingship. His voice might take some getting used to, but he's really insightful in explaining the mechanics and his choices, plus his channel is dedicated to grand strategy games in general and has a lot of Victoria and Europa Universalis stuff for those who want that.

Not entirely sure I still know what that is. Care to share? :v:

I actually learned it from arumba's tutorial :v:

he says selecting yes for great house basically shows characters who are in line to inherit something. so if you pick ruler:no and great house:yes you can find people with claims you may be able to press if you invite them to court.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Foulbrood posted:

The ingame tutorial is bad and downright wrong on many counts. I got into CK2 fairly recently and I'd recommend watching the tutorial series done by Arumba on YouTube, where he takes an Irish count all the way to kingship. His voice might take some getting used to, but he's really insightful in explaining the mechanics and his choices, plus his channel is dedicated to grand strategy games in general and has a lot of Victoria and Europa Universalis stuff for those who want that.
Funny enough I found those on my own and started watching like 10 episodes in without realizing I haven't started CK2 yet, now it feels like I need to go back and rewatch it again, because it's been a few weeks since I watched them.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I read about 1/3 of capn andy's tutorial LP and was able to go from there pretty effectively. Some of it is pre-expansions but still good for learning the basics.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664&userid=50244

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The worst parts of CK2 are figuring out the UI and inheritance rules. Once you get those down it's no worse than a Civ game in terms of complexity.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Anyone playing Dwelvers? Early access dungeon keeper/dwarf fortress hybrid game. I like just confused with some of the key commands and stuff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mokinokaro posted:

The worst parts of CK2 are figuring out the UI and inheritance rules. Once you get those down it's no worse than a Civ game in terms of complexity.

Eh, combat's more intuitive in Civ as well.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I only now started playing The Wolf Among Us and goddamn the setting and the story is great. If anybody was looking for an original setting and an intriguing plot for a videogame then this really owns. Imagine a noir story where the cast of characters are heroes from various fables like Snow White or Beauty and the Beast who live in the current-time New York hiding from people while a murder case starts among them.

The writing is really solid, as is the voice acting. Additionally the graphic novel visuals are fantastic and I dig the color palette way more than The Walking Dead. Pretty much a must-play. It's not much of an adventure game though, more of what I'd call what an actual interactive novel should be like.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So can someone inform me on the hype behind Strike Suit Zero? I even have the director's cut, and everything about this game just screams subpar early 2000s arcadey space sim. The gimmick is neat for a moment but by mission 3 (of 12 or 14?) I'm as bored as heck of both the gameplay and the story. What exactly was so fun that made everyone recommend it? :(

Morter fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 5, 2014

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Palpek posted:

I only now started playing The Wolf Among Us and goddamn the setting and the story is great. If anybody was looking for an original setting and an intriguing plot for a videogame then this really owns. Imagine a noir story where the cast of characters are heroes from various fables like Snow White or Beauty and the Beast who live in the current-time New York hiding from people while a murder case starts among them.

The writing is really solid, as is the voice acting. Additionally the graphic novel visuals are fantastic and I dig the color palette way more than The Walking Dead. Pretty much a must-play. It's not much of an adventure game though, more of what I'd call what an actual interactive novel should be like.

Yo for real? drat.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Palpek posted:

I dig the color palette

The Wolf Among Us is awesome for this, along with the music in general. It's like film noir except suffused with fuchsia instead of shadow. Film rouge?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Interactive novel timed quicktime events.

I enjoyed AWAU a lot, but I thought the source material(the comic) was leaps and bounds better. I only read fifteen or twenty issues of Walking Dead back in the day, but I found the game to be just as good if not better than the source.

I do agree that AWAU would definitely be a game I'd recommend to people, however. And yeah, it really looks pretty goddamned great. It's too bad I don;t give a gently caress about a Telltale Borderlands or a Game of Thrones game, though. Looking forward to Season 2 of Wolf, and season 3 of Walking Dead (I hope it's less actiony than S2).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 5, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Morter posted:

So can someone inform me on the hype behind Strike Suit Zero? I even have the director's cut, and everything about this game just screams subpar early 2000s arcadey space sim. The gimmick is neat for a moment but by mission 3 (of 12 or 14?) I'm as bored as heck of both the gameplay and the story. What exactly was so fun that made everyone recommend it? :(

You made it farther than I did.

I didn't get into it because it was clunky controls and what felt like a billion things to shoot during the first mission but no clear direction as to what/why or in what order.

I've found that if I don't get into a game before the tutorials level(s) is/are over, I don't usually waste my time past that because either they did a poo poo job of explaining their game in the first 5-10 minutes or it's just a poo poo game.

edit: it's totally ok to not finish a game because you don't like it; realizing this is pretty zen, you can just uninstall and play something you do enjoy instead

once you've spent the money it's gone no taking it back, but you do have the choice of how you spend your unspent time and if it's not fun then you're spending your time doing something not fun and that seems like a waste

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 5, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

mr. nobody posted:

You made it farther than I did.

I didn't get into it because it was clunky controls and what felt like a billion things to shoot during the first mission but no clear direction as to what/why or in what order.

I've found that if I don't get into a game before the tutorials level(s) is/are over, I don't usually waste my time past that because either they did a poo poo job of explaining their game in the first 5-10 minutes or it's just a poo poo game.

edit: it's totally ok to not finish a game because you don't like it; realizing this is pretty zen, you can just uninstall and play something you do enjoy instead

once you've spent the money it's gone no taking it back, but you do have the choice of how you spend your unspent time and if it's not fun then you're spending your time doing something not fun and that seems like a waste

Hah, thanks. I do realize this and made that decision earlier with a lovely game I figured would be crap, but I gave a shot anyway.

But around the time that Strike Suit Zero was a talking point, I just want to know what sold so many people on it. Unless it transforms immensely within the next couple of missions, I might have to drop it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I think the general consensus on SSZ was that it had promise, but was too bogged down with bullshit. The one people really like is Strike Suit Infinity, a spin-off that removes the mission-based structure and just makes it an arcadey shooter.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Palpek posted:

I agree 100 per cent. I hope it sold well enough to warrant a sequel, because I dug the setting far more than The Walking Dead series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Palpek posted:

Plus it has a smoking pig in it. More games need that.

• Locked thread