Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cataphract posted:

Can Chaos Space Marines get drop pods please?

I mean, come one already. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I think all Chaos Space Marines should have drop pods. They seem way more vital and also likely to have survived the Long War than, say, Vindicators.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I thought drop pods were basically one use, though. The idea of CSM going back to salvage up their pods so they can fix them up and refuel them for later use doesn't really sound right.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hra Mormo posted:

I thought drop pods were basically one use, though. The idea of CSM going back to salvage up their pods so they can fix them up and refuel them for later use doesn't really sound right.

Dread claws were not one use, so. And even if they were one use, that doesn't mean they would be personally going down to fix them - either the mission is important enough to not care, or they just took over the planet and now have abundant slave labor.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Playing a game tonight against Eldar with my Space Marines. Thinking 2k so he can bring his big dumb expensive units he owns but always has a hard time fiting in our usual 1k games. Going to bring a really generic list but then make a list with the old Armedggedon Salamander rules and see if he doesnt mind playing it because why not.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I could even picture a Chapter Tactics-style rule that, instead of covering one for each legion (because that's excluding warbands and homebrew stuff) there could be 4 or 5 different general CT-style rules to apply to the whole army. Sneaky, choppy, speedy, sorcerous, what have you. Just spitballing here.

Also, I'm using Army Painter's Greenskin paint and this is seriously the worst poo poo ever. The spray version is fine (I use it on all my Cadians) but the bottled stuff takes 3-4 coats to cover an area primed with the same color with a wash. It's absolutely horrendous. Abaddon Black takes 3-4 coats to cover the green as well. Given this Leman Russ' scheme of green and black camo, it's kinda :shepicide:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

S.J. posted:

Dread claws were not one use, so. And even if they were one use, that doesn't mean they would be personally going down to fix them - either the mission is important enough to not care, or they just took over the planet and now have abundant slave labor.

They wouldn't need to or care about salvaging them. The CSM aren't short on resources. They have the entire Dark Mechanicus making stuff for them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PeterWeller posted:

They wouldn't need to or care about salvaging them. The CSM aren't short on resources. They have the entire Dark Mechanicus making stuff for them.
Well, depends which CSM we're talking about. The Night Lords are basically space hobos who salvage resources wherever they can.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

SRM posted:

Well, depends which CSM we're talking about. The Night Lords are basically space hobos who salvage resources wherever they can.

But surely "salvage resources" means "raid a forge world."

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SRM posted:

I thought that was the Blood Raven's shtick.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

I thought that was the Blood Raven's shtick.
Well, I guess we just found the Blood Ravens' founding chapter :v:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Is there anything special for Night Lords, Iron Warriors, Alpha Legion, or Word Bearers? I know they're pushing the whole "Chaos Warband" thing, but you can use the Cult Marines to represent World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Death Guard, or Emperor's Children.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I've never been under the impression that drop pods were one use. Even if they require a lot of rebuild work between uses (which would stand to reason) you for sure retrieve the hulls and stuff whenever you have the chance. Like, obviously you write off one that's now under a kilometer of Tyranid biomass, but otherwise you take it with you when you leave.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SRM posted:

I thought that was mostly the Exalted's warband. Krieg Acerbus' Night Lords seemed to be quite well-supplied, especially for such a massive warband. And in Throne of Lies, even a fraction of the Legion has craptons of ships, armor and weapons.

The thing many people forget about chaos forces is that they, unlike most others (except orks) get to keep the stuff from those they defeat. No loyalist chapter would dare refit a captured Chaos ship; they'd likely scuttle it posthaste due to all the corruption and even for beaing a reminder of the Heresy. Chaos marines, on the other hand, are quite happy to help themselves to ships, weaponry, facilities and you name it. So a warband on a winning streak can expand its forces with alarming speed (the new Talon of Horus series seems poised to describe just such an event).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Also, Chaos is full of those scrappy pirate warbands (from pretty much every Legion line) who need to do that sort of poo poo in order to survive, whereas even the most D-list space marine chapter can at least nominally count on the Imperial infrastructure to ship them new gear on a regular basis, or have their own forges, or whatever. I mean you're also right in your implied point that even the big boy warbands usually aren't too proud to use a captured ship or land raider, but then you have the really hard up bands that will patch over the rents in a captured breastplate and use it without even bothering to repaint it.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I think everyone's forgetting that the third edition chaos codex was such a mess that GW put out two revised printings changing stats and stuff around without telling anyone. You guys don't remember the three different obliterator statlines between the three books? That said, I've always been of the opinion that since that book, you can make a decently fitting warband for each legion if you just have the willpower to not include certain units. The legion rules were just as bad, if not worse than chapter traits and imperial guard doctrines that were the contemporary system to the legion rules, and nobody's been clamoring to bring those back ever. Space Marines are gonna get fancy crap compared to every other faction because GW sells space marines by the bucketful compared to everything else, and junk like more expensive, bigger codex, the three or four supplemental books have enough volume of sales to support all of it. Not so for Chaos or Guard.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 5, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

I could even picture a Chapter Tactics-style rule that, instead of covering one for each legion (because that's excluding warbands and homebrew stuff) there could be 4 or 5 different general CT-style rules to apply to the whole army. Sneaky, choppy, speedy, sorcerous, what have you. Just spitballing here.

Idea: VotLW does different things depending on the Legion you're playing. +1ld and a special rule: Night Lords get Stealth/Night Vision/Both, Alpha Legion gets Infiltrate, Iron Warriors get something (I dunno, tank hunter?). Word Bearers would be the odd one out here since they didn't have any associate skills in 3rd edition.

Of course, such a rule could potentially get weird/broken when combined with Marks, so that'd have to be put in consideration.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I feel dirty even asking this but is the Dark Eldar succubus a legal model, rules as written?

She's got an agonizer and an archite glaive. She can replace her close combat weapon with the glaive as one of her options. Then it says she can take items from the Melee Weapons list. That list says "a model may replace its Melee weapon with one of the following:" and lists the agonizer.

Like, surely they're not dumb enough to sculpt a model that can't be used with its stock options? I'm missing something, right?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Snollygoster posted:

Like, surely they're not dumb enough to sculpt a model that can't be used with its stock options? I'm missing something, right?
Chaplain Cassiues came with a combi-flamer. His rules said he had a bolt pistol. Since he was a special character, you could not change his wargear. The model then was changed to have a bolt pistol, and not too long after that his rules were updated to have the combi-flamer. After two editions he was finally equipped and written correctly.

Just finished up this tank for my Cadians. I'm not entirely happy with it, since Army Painter's Greenskin and GW's Abaddon Black are two of the worst paints I've ever had to use. Each of them took 3-4 coats just to cover the undercoat, which was already Army Painter's (actually really good) Greenskin primer. I got kind of frustrated so some parts don't look quite as good as I wish they did, but it's ready for the tabletop:

Now some of the more astute/ancient of you might think "Wait a minute! The Exterminator didn't come out until 3rd edition!" and well, you'd be right. I actually had this same realization after I'd bought the drat thing. However, I think I worked out an amicable solution:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

Now some of the more astute/ancient of you might think "Wait a minute! The Exterminator didn't come out until 3rd edition!" and well, you'd be right. I actually had this same realization after I'd bought the drat thing. However, I think I worked out an amicable solution:

Well done. :golfclap:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Thanks for the info and interest in the stuff I posted a couple of pages back.

The sale thread is up and includes a 2nd edition Blood Bowl Dwarf Team.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669778

Stop by, take a look, buy my stuff.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 5, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Snollygoster posted:

I feel dirty even asking this but is the Dark Eldar succubus a legal model, rules as written?

She's got an agonizer and an archite glaive. She can replace her close combat weapon with the glaive as one of her options. Then it says she can take items from the Melee Weapons list. That list says "a model may replace its Melee weapon with one of the following:" and lists the agonizer.

A pistol is technically a Melee weapon.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Snollygoster posted:

It's likely that the arms are separate pieces, and you can build her with legal kit by swapping arms with other sets. It looks like the trueborn dracon in the silver, green and red army has her right arm as part of his cool (and not technically legal or even necessary) dual agonizer kit. As far as I can remember, hers is the only right hand agonizer.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

A pistol is technically a Melee weapon.

Except splinter pistols are under the Ranged Weapon section :goonsay:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

Ghost Hand, legit question- besides the books, is Forgeworld producing any of their resin in other parts of the world? The turn around for recasters to make brand new FW models is crazy fast and whatever material they are using is either identical or in some cases, better than what Forgeworld uses.

I'm asking because this would make sense as a place where leaks happened. In games all the piracy happened when we sent our disks to be manufactured around the world. From there it was always a race to beat the guy in the factory that took home one of the CDs and threw it up on piratebay.

All Forge World models are now produced in the UK. They used to produce some in China (many years ago) but no longer do.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Is the Black Legion Supplement worse than just using the standard chaos codex? It certainly seems that way.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Uh SRM isn't that an annihilator?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Definitely not, that's just how autocannons looked in 2nd/3rd ed.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Unlikely I know but, do any of you have spare DE haywire blasters from the Scourge kit that you'd be willing to sell on? Ideally I need two.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

not lame! posted:

Is the Black Legion Supplement worse than just using the standard chaos codex? It certainly seems that way.

Yup. The relics are way, way worse for basically no difference in the rest of the book. The Crimson Slaughter book is actually pretty decent if you want to use one of the supplements.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ghost Hand posted:

All Forge World models are now produced in the UK. They used to produce some in China (many years ago) but no longer do.

There are many Forge World models still produced in China, just not by Forge World.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Cataphract posted:

Can night lords get drop pods please?

Look, don't be stupid. What use would a fast-moving assault army that thrives on literally bathing in the blood and screams of its enemies have for a quick orbit-to-surface transport? And moreover, why would an army that relies on shock tactics and striking in the enemy's rear want some sort of way to break into the supply lines of an entrenched force?

Please, think for a moment before you open your mouth. You're making us all look bad.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Here's a question. I'm putting together my Hellbrute Mayhem Pack, and in return for Deepstriking and It Will Not Die, they go crazed every turn.

I was thinking of going with this.

Hellbrute - 2 fists, heavy flamer, combi bolter - 120
Hellbrute - Reaper autocannon, power scrouge - 115
Hellbrute - Multi-melta, powerfist, heavy flamer - 115

Total 350 points for 3 deepstriking walkers.

Is this a decent list to go for? They can pop armour when they drop in, are likely to rage 2/3 of the time, have shooting weapons for if they don't and to soften up targets.

Here's a question. Do they go crazed on the turn they come in?

Also Ghosthand, who has IA13, are Decimators worth getting? I'm thinking of a very Dark Mechanicus themed Iron Warrior force. Murderpack, Maulerfiend, Heldrake, 2/3 units of cultists, 2 units of Iron Warriors, Vindicator as where to go for a force, was wondering if a Decimator would be a good addition to a fairly walker heavy force. Could also go with an Iron Warriors Contemptor, though would be hesitant if they also get Crazed.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JerryLee posted:

I've never been under the impression that drop pods were one use. Even if they require a lot of rebuild work between uses (which would stand to reason) you for sure retrieve the hulls and stuff whenever you have the chance. Like, obviously you write off one that's now under a kilometer of Tyranid biomass, but otherwise you take it with you when you leave.

I agree with this. I always figured they recovered the ones they could.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Indolent Bastard posted:

There are many Forge World models still produced in China, just not by Forge World.

Well played - I should have thrown the word "legitimate" in there :P

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
From a purely realistic standpoint, the energy necessary to lift them into orbit probably wouldn't be even close to worth the value of whatever materials and construction costs were wrapped up in one, but, well, realism and 40K and all.

I like to imagine a very, very, very specialized Thunderhawk variant that exists to do nothing but drag expended Drop Pods back up to the Strike Cruisers and Battle Barges. Hell, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see FW release one- I mean, the Thunderhawk Transporter and Valkyrie Skytalon are already things, so...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

From a purely realistic standpoint, the energy necessary to lift them into orbit probably wouldn't be even close to worth the value of whatever materials and construction costs were wrapped up in one, but, well, realism and 40K and all.

I like to imagine a very, very, very specialized Thunderhawk variant that exists to do nothing but drag expended Drop Pods back up to the Strike Cruisers and Battle Barges. Hell, I wouldn't be all that surprised to see FW release one- I mean, the Thunderhawk Transporter and Valkyrie Skytalon are already things, so...

I like to imagine it's something akin to Ork lifta droppa technology- just a big tractor beam gun that sucks expended drop pods back up into the hold of the strike cruiser or battle barge.

That or legions of chapter serfs and servitors equipped with little more than picks and shovels have to go around digging them out of the craters they made and rolling them onto some sort of STC flatbed space truck.

Whatever the process is, I imagine it to be caked in ritual and involve excess risk. This is 40K after all. :v:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Guys everybody knows they just unfold their petals and spin like a beautiful heliflower.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
They use a giant version of one of these attached to their spaceships:

It takes a long time because the claw doesnt actually fit the pods properly, also power armour doesnt have a lot of places to keep spare change, so the tech marines manning the controls keep having to run back to the chapter master to ask for more money for the claw machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I'm going to be hitting a mid-power tournament this weekend, want to get a little advice on this list-

code:
+++ Tip of the Spear (1500pts) +++
+++ 1500pt Fortifications and Stronghold Assault (2013), Grey Knights: Codex (2014) Roster (Fortification Detachment, Nemesis Strike Force)) +++

Selections:

Fortifications and Stronghold Assault (2013) (Fortification Detachment) Selections:

+ Fortification +

* Aegis Defense Line
        Comms Relay

Grey Knights: Codex (2014) (Nemesis Strike Force) Selections:

+ HQ +

* Librarian
        (And They Shall Know No Fear, Independent Character, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Purity of Spirit, The Aegis)
        Combi-melta, Domina Liber Daemonica, Frag, Krak and Psyk-out grenades (Psi-shock), Nemesis Daemon hammer (Daemonbane), Psychic Hood, Psyker [ML 3] (Daemonology (Sanctic), Divination, Pyromancy, Telekinesis, Telepathy), Terminator Armour (Bulky, Deep Strike, Relentless, *)

+ Elites +

* Purifier Squad
        (And They Shall Know No Fear, Combat Squads, Fearless, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Purifying Flame, Purity of Spirit, The Aegis)
        Brotherhood of Psykers [ML 2] (Banishment, Cleansing Flame, Hammerhand), Frag, Krak and Psyk-out grenades (Psi-shock)
        * Knight of the Flame
            Nemesis force halberd (Daemonbane), Storm bolter
        * Purifier (halberd)
            Nemesis force halberd (Daemonbane), Storm bolter
        * Purifier (hammer)
            Nemesis Daemon hammer (Daemonbane), Storm bolter
        * 2x Purifier (incinerator)
            2x Incinerator
        * 2x Purifier (psycannon)
            2x Psycannon
        * 3x Purifier (sword)
            3x Nemesis force sword (Daemonbane), 3x Storm bolter
        * Rhino
            (Repair, Transport (10))
            Searchlight, Smoke launchers

+ Troops +

* Terminator Squad
        (And They Shall Know No Fear, Combat Squads, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Purity of Spirit, The Aegis)
        Brotherhood of Psykers [ML 1] (Banishment, Hammerhand), Terminator Armour (Bulky, Deep Strike, Relentless, *)
        * Terminator (hammer)
            Nemesis Daemon hammer (Daemonbane), Storm bolter
        * Terminator (psycannon)
            Nemesis force sword (Daemonbane), Psycannon
        * 2x Terminator (sword)
            2x Nemesis force sword (Daemonbane), 2x Storm bolter
        * Terminator Justicar
            Nemesis force sword (Daemonbane), Storm bolter

+ Fast Attack +

* Interceptor Squad
        (And They Shall Know No Fear, Combat Squads, Deep Strike, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Purity of Spirit, The Aegis)
        Brotherhood of Psykers [ML 1] (Banishment, Hammerhand), Frag, Krak and Psyk-out grenades (Psi-shock), Personal teleporters
        * 4x Interceptor (sword)
            4x Nemesis force sword (Daemonbane), 4x Storm bolter
        * Interceptor Justicar
            Nemesis force sword (Daemonbane), Storm bolter

* Stormraven Gunship
        (Assault Vehicle, Power of the Machine Spirit, Stormraven Transport (12))
        Ceramite Plating, Searchlight, 4x Stormstrike missile, Twin-linked assault cannon, Twin-linked multi-melta

+ Heavy Support +

* Nemesis Dreadknight
        (And They Shall Know No Fear, Deep Strike, Force Shielding, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Purity of Spirit, The Aegis)
        2x Power fist, Heavy Psycannon, Personal teleporter, Psyker [ML 1] (Banishment, Sanctuary)

* Nemesis Dreadknight
        (And They Shall Know No Fear, Deep Strike, Force Shielding, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Purity of Spirit, The Aegis)
        2x Power fist, Heavy Psycannon, Personal teleporter, Psyker [ML 1] (Banishment, Sanctuary)

Created with BattleScribe

Purifiers combat squaded, Psycannons on the board with the Rhino, special weapons and Incinerators in the 'raven. Deepstriking everything I can turn one, of course.

• Locked thread