Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

pumpinglemma posted:

These don't seem to be available in the UK, and they seem to be fairly scarce in the US as well - the only set I can find based on a quick search would need to be shipped from Japan. That would involve some hefty VAT and customs fees, so I'd rather avoid it if possible. Are there any other reasonable options?

Ah that's a drat shame. I'd sell you mine but even with the $450 iems I have I won't part with the R-50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
Anyone have a recent link for Amazon bullet things? Need something for these noisy lightrail.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

For the price how are the HD598s? I am thinking about getting a new set of opens for my home listening (computer/ipad/etc) and had a set of Sennheisers I liked back in the day.

Best price I have seen is about $250 in Canada.

They are seriously fantastic headphones for the price. Due to the open design, you'll find a nicer soundstage and instrument separation. You probably know what you are looking for if you are searching for open cans. They are described as "warm" headphones that I found to work best with vocals, jazz, classical, etc. Definitely not for bass lovers as the bass is not emphasized at all in my experience. Due to the excellent instrument separation you'll always register it but don't expect to have your cans rattle. I went from the 598s straight to 800s and imo you are getting a nice chunk of the sound quality of the 800s at a fraction of the price.

In other news, I am planning on checking out the Schiit Bitfrost (with upgrades) stacked with the Valhalla 2 and putting it up directly against the Essence STX. I'm having some noise issues develop and I am unsure as to whether it is the sound card finally having some issues or the Valhalla. Basically, when opening some programs (or running Shadowplay which I do constantly for my Twitch followers) I can hear background noise that changes with mouse movements, etc. Very strange. I can't hear when music is playing or gaming but for just normal usage it is always lurking softly in the background at my normal listening volume. This started a few weeks after I began using the line out on the STX instead of the headphone out. I can return the Bitfrost within 30 days with a 5% restocking fee if I don't notice a difference which I think is fair for a small business to charge.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 22, 2014

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I can hear computer noises with my external dac as well. I even tried moving it farther away and through a USB hub and plugging everything into different outlets. Computer noise was coming through my headphones and the sound would change from music paused to stopped and it would change depending on what my computer was working on. The amp I was using was super high gain though and not meant for headphones so I had the volume at under 10% and it was very loud.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TomR posted:

I can hear computer noises with my external dac as well. I even tried moving it farther away and through a USB hub and plugging everything into different outlets. Computer noise was coming through my headphones and the sound would change from music paused to stopped and it would change depending on what my computer was working on. The amp I was using was super high gain though and not meant for headphones so I had the volume at under 10% and it was very loud.

Does your USB cable have ferrite bumps? Can you try one that does?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

eddiewalker posted:

Does your USB cable have ferrite bumps? Can you try one that does?

It does have ferrite bumps. It's an ODAC, just the board version. It's connected to a stereo amp that's outputting to a big resistor and my headphones. It's not ideal at all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

crunchytacosupreme posted:

Anyone have a recent link for Amazon bullet things? Need something for these noisy lightrail.

If you're talking about the Pistons, the probably won't work for you as they don't isolate very well.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I have a pair of older Bose around ear headphones that the material that wraps the foam has started to pull apart and deteriorate, leaving my ears and neck covered with little black flecks of poo poo.

Anyone know where I can get some replacements? I bought these things a few years back and I like them well enough to keep using them, I just need to replace the foam and/or the foam cover.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

They are seriously fantastic headphones for the price. Due to the open design, you'll find a nicer soundstage and instrument separation. You probably know what you are looking for if you are searching for open cans. They are described as "warm" headphones that I found to work best with vocals, jazz, classical, etc. Definitely not for bass lovers as the bass is not emphasized at all in my experience. Due to the excellent instrument separation you'll always register it but don't expect to have your cans rattle. I went from the 598s straight to 800s and imo you are getting a nice chunk of the sound quality of the 800s at a fraction of the price.

Nice, thanks for the review! I like a balanced setup and the opens are so much more relaxing to listen to. I have a set of Shure SRH440s now (very similar to the old sony set I had) and they are nice but they get uncomfortable after a while (the pleather earcups don't help). I have looked into swapping the earpads for something velour though.

But I would like a nice set of opens for home listening, I am putting the hd598s on my wishlist :)

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I also own 598's and they are indeed amazing. They are also one of the (if not most) comfiest headphones I have ever worn.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I don't know what Spotify did in their last update, but the highs on my Pro 900s now feel like someone's shoving glass into my ears. What's the best EQ settings to unfuck this without totally losing sound quality?

edit
To clarify, I tried just bumping down 14k and 16k a step but the Pro 900s are all bass Bass BASS BASS if you knock treble back at all

edit again
Nope, it's Spotify's fault entirely. I tested in a sandboxed VM and the new version is objectively louder so they're doing some preamp bullshit. Sounds great at 95% or so.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 23, 2014

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Massdrop has a deal for the Beyerdynamic T90 for the next 20 hours. Was looking into getting the Sennheiser HD650 already, which the T90 compares favorably to. Any thoughts/opinions from anyone that has used the T90s?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for some bluetooth headphones with a microphone? I'd prefer earbuds, but I don't insist on it. My intention is to use them both for listening to music from my phone or computer, but also for phone calls/voice chat. The upper limit of my price range is around $100.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Chief Savage Man posted:

I bought a Sennheiser PC 350 headset in November 2012 and I've loved it the whole time except now the microphone doesn't work at all. I spent all last night thinking it was a software issue related to my recent new computer and installation of W8.1 but testing it on another computer, it looks like its a hardware issue. Tried both jacks on my machine, tried it on my another one and headphones work and microphone is recognized but picks up no sound.

Two year warranty runs out in November, does anybody have experience with Sennheiser warranties/customer service? I got it officially and legit from Amazon but I never registered it with Sennheiser, is there anything I should be prepared for when I call them up tomorrow?

Update: Never had to call them, just put in a request through the website, printed out the UPS label, packed it up and shipped it last Thursday. Got a refurbished set today. Talk about a painless service experience.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
I'll just leave this here, ja?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNzIWA2_khA

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'm in the market for a new pair of IEMs to replace my SE530's which were tragically lost a year ago.

I was looking at the SE53's on Amazon, and I see that there is a regular version and a "Japan Import" version, which is about $100 cheaper.

Does anyone know the difference between these two models outside of the price?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

arbybaconator posted:

I'm in the market for a new pair of IEMs to replace my SE530's which were tragically lost a year ago.

I was looking at the SE53's on Amazon, and I see that there is a regular version and a "Japan Import" version, which is about $100 cheaper.

Does anyone know the difference between these two models outside of the price?

If you liked your 530s think about replacing them with what is current. I had the original E500s, loved them, and have since found that there is a lot more out there. Might be a good chance to see what else you might want to try.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My 1964Ears haul came in.

Earplugs fit great after I realized they got the color coding backwards and I quit trying to shove the red one in my right ear.

I haven't spent enough time with the IEMs yet but the workmanship is worlds better than my old AlienEars and there's so much more clarity and bass presence.

Unfortunately, I think I need a slight fit adjustment due to a little pain in one ear, but that's the deal with customs.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Can we talk about 3d surround headphones? Six (or more) channels pumping multiple drivers (usually) on (bulky,expensive) headphones. I only know these exist from having tried them at a show. I think with the Occulus Rift (and other 3d goggles) becoming a Thing, 3d sound might become not lovely again.

I don't know any of the right terms to google and I'm getting steadily more confused. Could someone more knowledgeable please point me in the right direction? :coolfish:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Unfortunately, I think I need a slight fit adjustment due to a little pain in one ear, but that's the deal with customs.

My customs had to be entirely rebuilt because the acrylic on one side pooled in a spot while curing.

froward posted:

Can we talk about 3d surround headphones? Six (or more) channels pumping multiple drivers (usually) on (bulky,expensive) headphones. I only know these exist from having tried them at a show. I think with the Occulus Rift (and other 3d goggles) becoming a Thing, 3d sound might become not lovely again.

I don't know any of the right terms to google and I'm getting steadily more confused. Could someone more knowledgeable please point me in the right direction? :coolfish:

Viscous lies, all of them. You can get perfect 3D sound from binaural recordings, or software encoded real time binaural positioning. Two drivers is all you need. For headphones, even if you have more than one driver in each earphone, the sound hits the left and right ear independently and the phase difference between each channel turns into your brain telling you where the sound is coming from.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I noticed that Massdrop has the Ultrasone Pro 900s on sale. Most of the reviews talk about their bass quality. Does it do anything quality wise that my Vmoda M100s or my Sony xb1000 don't do already?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Would it be sacrilege to ask for a recommendation for decent wireless headphones? If Bluetooth fucks with audio quality I can see how this thread might gravitate away from them. While I appreciate good sounding headphones, higher on the priority list is comfort and ease of use. I hate (loving HATE) having my headphone wire getting trapped on everything from my bag strap to jacket zippers and shirt collars and everything else. Plus they wrap around my hand when I grab my phone out of my pocket etc etc etc. I despise wires.

Help? (Saw nothing in the OP or first/last page when I Cmd-F'd "cordless" or "wireless"

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm looking to pick up some new closed headphones. In the past I'ved owned Sennheiser HD280s and loved them, but the band broke after a few (3? 2 1/2? I don't remember) years. I currently use HD555s modded and love them, but the band is made out of tape and glue because it has shattered in multiple places near the ear just from wearing them. Open headphones also aren't going to be an option for me in a few months. So it's time to retire them. Over the course of 10 years I've just had those two headphones for 10+ hours of use per day most days. I have a Scarlett 2i2 due to the mic I use for some vocal stuff so powering headphones isn't going to be an issue, but I'm leaning toward lower impedance headphones anyway because I don't see the point in spending a super lot. I'm looking for something that is going to last, something closed, and something that doesn't cost more than $300.

I've narrowed it down to:

Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm (I'd get the 250 ohm if I could find them for $170 still, but all of them seem to be around $220 right now). My primary concern is people say the cable fails after around 2-3 years. That's pretty annoying. They otherwise seem pretty great, and I don't mind the heavy bass. They're designed to be worn all day, too, which is a bonus.

Sennheiser HD 380 - I liked the 280, the 380s seem to fix the headband design flaw, and these have the added benefit of being portable so I could bring them with a laptop while on long flights or use them in situations other than sitting at my pc. Weighing in at $125 right now that's pretty appealing. I remember being the 280s being kind of uncomfortable after very long periods wearing them, and the 380s are supposedly kind of similar.

I didn't look too deeply into shure's offerings, but they have detachable cables which is really nice. But most of their designs looked like the band would have issues eventually. I don't abuse my headphones. They go from my head to my desk. The wire rarely gets pulled on also. If anyone has some suggestions or wants to weigh in on my concerns with either of those two that'd be great.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Khorne posted:

I'm looking to pick up some new closed headphones. In the past I'ved owned Sennheiser HD280s and loved them, but the band broke after a few (3? 2 1/2? I don't remember) years. I currently use HD555s modded and love them, but the band is made out of tape and glue because it has shattered in multiple places near the ear just from wearing them. Open headphones also aren't going to be an option for me in a few months. So it's time to retire them. Over the course of 10 years I've just had those two headphones for 10+ hours of use per day most days. I have a Scarlett 2i2 due to the mic I use for some vocal stuff so powering headphones isn't going to be an issue, but I'm leaning toward lower impedance headphones anyway because I don't see the point in spending a super lot. I'm looking for something that is going to last, something closed, and something that doesn't cost more than $300.

Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm (I'd get the 250 ohm if I could find them for $170 still, but all of them seem to be around $220 right now). My primary concern is people say the cable fails after around 2-3 years. That's pretty annoying. They otherwise seem pretty great, and I don't mind the heavy bass. They're designed to be worn all day, too, which is a bonus.

Sennheiser HD 380 - I liked the 280, the 380s seem to fix the headband design flaw, and these have the added benefit of being portable so I could bring them with a laptop while on long flights or use them in situations other than sitting at my pc. Weighing in at $125 right now that's pretty appealing. I remember being the 280s being kind of uncomfortable after very long periods wearing them, and the 380s are supposedly kind of similar.

I didn't look too deeply into shure's offerings, but they have detachable cables which is really nice. But most of their designs looked like the band would have issues eventually. I don't abuse my headphones. They go from my head to my desk. The wire rarely gets pulled on also. If anyone has some suggestions or wants to weigh in on my concerns with either of those two that'd be great.

I've recommended the AKG 271 mk.II's a couple times in this thread. My pair last me 3 years of use pretty much every single day, and they come with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty. The audio quality is fantastic and my only complaint was that they tuned them away from the lower hz range. With a proper amp like you have and an equalizer this could be remedied. They're going for way less money than when I first picked them up too, I paid $220 CAD, they go for $100 or so now. Amazon link. They're worth having a listen to at your local shop anyways as you could save a ton.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Have two quick questions:

My fiancee's no-name earbuds broke. What are the currently recommended really cheap (like $15 or less) earbuds (edit: or IEMs I guess, don't think she's ever tried one)? I remember my coworkers raving about one in particular from Monoprice a few years ago, not sure which one it was or how it really stacked up.

This is probably somewhat verboten here, but I've used mainly gaming headsets over the years. They were in my budget, I care a lot about comfort, and prefer an attached mic, so it seemed to make sense. For my next pair, I'm not against getting headphones and attaching a mic myself, but I saw yesterday that the HyperX Cloud headset is on sale for $70 at Amazon. The reviews look great; I've never seen such a positive reception to a gaming headset from people who appear to know what they're talking about. It looks to me like the quality of these for the price is beyond what I could get from headphones and an attached mic. Thoughts?

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 1, 2014

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004
This thread needs more b&o h6 love.

I could not imagine a more comfortable headphone. Even my 650s get slighting fatiguing (not their sound, clearly) to wear after long periods of time, but the h6 is so lightweight and never bothersome.

In addition to comfort, the openish sound it is has for a closed headphone really makes it shine in an office environment.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

TheEye posted:

Have two quick questions:

My fiancee's no-name earbuds broke. What are the currently recommended really cheap (like $15 or less) earbuds (edit: or IEMs I guess, don't think she's ever tried one)? I remember my coworkers raving about one in particular from Monoprice a few years ago, not sure which one it was or how it really stacked up.

Philips SHE3580/3590

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Khorne posted:

The NAD Viso HP50s is at the high end of what you're willing to pay ($300), but they would be my recommendations. The soundstage and airness for a closed headphone is what won me over.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

ShoogaSlim posted:

Would it be sacrilege to ask for a recommendation for decent wireless headphones? If Bluetooth fucks with audio quality I can see how this thread might gravitate away from them. While I appreciate good sounding headphones, higher on the priority list is comfort and ease of use. I hate (loving HATE) having my headphone wire getting trapped on everything from my bag strap to jacket zippers and shirt collars and everything else. Plus they wrap around my hand when I grab my phone out of my pocket etc etc etc. I despise wires.

Help? (Saw nothing in the OP or first/last page when I Cmd-F'd "cordless" or "wireless"

It's literally all I post about in this thread, but look into the Sony mdr10rbt headphones. I absolutely love them, and honestly couldn't imagine a pair of headphones that were more comfortable or convenient. If you've got more money, there's also the mdr1-rbt headphones, which are sort of the big brother. They are heavier and possibly less comfy though.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Looking for a headphone recommendation:

Budget: <=$100
Source: Will be used for playing music from iPhone and for playing Rocksmith on my computer.
Isolation Requirements - Not strict isolation, but some noise blockage on planes would be helpful.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear (but ideally not huge)
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Just apple ear pods. They're fine for commuting, but want better sound quality for playing guitar and listening to music while traveling.
Preferred Music - Everything.. Childish Gambino, EDM, Indie, Bluegrass

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hey, headphone thread. I am looking to get rid of a few headphone-related items. I figured i'd post here first to gauge if there is any interest, then if there is, I will make a thread in the SA-mart sub forum to officiate it, if anyone here bites. I'll probably also post them at Head-fi if no one does.
I have:
1 pair of Denon AH D2000 Headphones (Out of production)
1 Headstage Arrow 12HE 3G portable amplifier (Out of production in favor of newer models)
1 Schiit Audio Lyr amplifier (1st model)

All in excellent condition with low/moderate usage. The headphones have a cosmetic nick or two, but I still have the box.

The Denon headphones with the Arrow amp make a rather ridiculous bass-heavy portable rig, since the amp has a bass boost option. Easily the best bass i've heard out of a pair of headphones, though it would likely be even better with d5000s or d7000s. The Lyr has probably had maybe 50-100 hours of usage in the 2 years or so that i've had it, but I am getting a Ragnarok amp from Schiit, so I won't need it anymore. I won't list prices here, because i'm not sure on the rules to do so outside of the SA-Mart.

jeaves
Jun 2, 2004

*FART*FART*FART*
I'd like a recommendation on mid range ($150 - $300) IEMs to go with a Schiit Modi/Magni while listening to bass heavy music and movies.

I'm basically starting from scratch, having never owned a decent pair of headphones (all >$50) or any kind of amp.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
I'm buying a pair of Sennheiser HD650 headphones for my PC; main uses will be gaming / Oculus Rift and listening to music (mostly classical) / watching movies.

Should I buy a 200€ Asus Xonar Essence STX II sound card or should I get an external headphone amp DAC with an optical input? Any European brand recommendations in approximately the same price range?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

jeaves posted:

I'd like a recommendation on mid range ($150 - $300) IEMs to go with a Schiit Modi/Magni while listening to bass heavy music and movies.

I'm basically starting from scratch, having never owned a decent pair of headphones (all >$50) or any kind of amp.

I bought a pair of Shure se315s a couple weeks ago and am a huge fan so far. About $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE315-K...rds=se315+shure

Super durable cord which is important to me, and comes with a crapload of different tips so you can try a bunch to find the best fit.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
Support Dre he needs more cash.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Can anyone recommend some good and above all sturdy in-ears? I've been using in-ears for years, and while I like the sound and feel, one of the earphones will inevitably die on me at some point. I've gone through two pairs of Sennheiser CX 400 IIs, Klipsch Image S4s, and now a whopping three pairs of RHA MA600is (the right earphone on these kept failing after about three months of usage and I kept getting replacements on warranty, which I still have, but I'm totally fed up with these things now). What can I buy that sounds decent and doesn't loving break after a couple of months?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In case anyone was still trying to get Velodyne Vpulse phones, don't. Velodyne outsourced to this poo poo company "Don Scorpio": http://penonaudio.com/DONSCORPIO-Bass-Colour?manufacturer_id=45

And yes that is the exact headphone for about 29.00 on ebay.

So after fighting with Velodyne about these drat things... they outsourced to an even cheaper company than DON SCORPIO, and both my pairs shorted out (cord died). gently caress them.

I am a bass head but hate V type sound signatures. I like nice recessed mellow treble with smooth mids and bass that goes down to subwoofer levels easily.. not OMG PUNCHY but extremely detailed and extended. I can use DSPs to fine tune my sound but I have to have deep accurate bass. The older Velodynes have this quality with perhaps a bit less mids and higher treble than I would like.

So far I am looking at Sony MDR-XB90EX, Sony XBA-C10IP, JVC Xtreme Xplosives HA-FX3X Earphone , and HiSoundAudio HW2 Wooduo 2 which are getting really good reviews.

I don't want to spend more than say $130 and if I do spend that much I would prefer something without poo poo cords that break after a year.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 5, 2014

uncola
Apr 21, 2002
I just went through a chinese iem exploratory phase and wanted to recommend these iems for anyone who wants cheap and likes bass
http://www.dxsoul.com/product/ttpod-t1-enhanced-3-5mm-hi-fi-in-ear-earphone-transparent-silver-901335002#.VDIeHp54pCc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

My Yuin PK2s met their unfortunate end in a washing machine yesterday so I figured I'd ask for recommendations for a replacement.

I want to be able to hear what's going on around me so I think that rules out IEMs. Budget is up to $100 but something in the $40-60 range would be preferable. Mic and volume up/down buttons would be nice but not a total necessity. These will be primarily used to listen to podcasts and pop.