Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Personally I think it's dumb not to try and have the most fun rather than thinking about whether or not you can score a sick nasty 8 dollars. I guess it's cool if you like the colors.

They are my favorite wedge but I already did one last night. I guess I was asking if its gonna crater after the weekend. I might try Sultai tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Personally I think it's dumb not to try and have the most fun rather than thinking about whether or not you can score a sick nasty 8 dollars. I guess it's cool if you like the colors.

Abzan is kind of the best wedge in limited anyways.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Abzan gives (by far) the best set of Sealed promos, and even if the rest of your pool doesn't support it, you can splash your (probably awesome) promo into a Mardu or Sultai deck. Basically Abzan is sweet and unlikely to leave you unhappy is what i'm saying.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Abzan is kind of the best wedge in limited anyways.

I think it's sultai tbh though they share a bunch of the same cards and can splash for certain bombs of each others'

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

I Love You! posted:

I think it's sultai tbh though they share a bunch of the same cards and can splash for certain bombs of each others'

I thought Sultai should be pretty good because access to black seems a prerequisite for the removal, but most rundowns I've seen put Sultai at the bottom. Oh well I'm going Abzan again tonight anyway

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What is the best lucky charm cycle, staff of the *type* magus, creature bits (angel feather, dragon claw, etc.), something else?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Molybdenum posted:

What is the best lucky charm cycle, staff of the *type* magus, creature bits (angel feather, dragon claw, etc.), something else?

I like the creature bits better than the staves just because spending 2 mana to do nothing hurts a lot less than 3 mana to do nothing.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

JerryLee posted:

What about Ob Nixilis? Do I have it wrong that he was a demon planeswalker who lost his spark?

Supposedly he was a human planeswalker who lost his spark and became a demon. The Lithomancer is involved somehow.

His spark lost, he plots revenge upon the plane whose corrupting mana fractured his soul.

Molybdenum posted:

Five Paradise Plumes

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Apparently, "I didn't pull any bombs so I'm drafting a 4 color deck with whatever common wedge-cards aren't being drafted in pack three" is a real archetype in Khans limited.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I like the creature bits better than the staves just because spending 2 mana to do nothing hurts a lot less than 3 mana to do nothing.

Wasn't the black staff a 4-of sideboard card in standard at some point?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So is it normal to sign up to daily events and just not get assigned matches?

Christ almighty they are doing everything in their power to make me not play.

e: welp turns out I didn't join that tournament. I still have my entry fee. Not sure why I showed up on the standings alongside 3 other people that joined to play one of the three Pauper dailies of the week! I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 5, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Molybdenum posted:

Iron Star et al. Accept no imitations. :colbert:

Real answer: Dragon Claw and whatnot. It's actually a fine sideboard card against modern burn in a slower deck. My U Tron strategy is Dragon Claw then Chalice on 2 to stop Smash to Smithereens.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

superstepa posted:

How much would a promo Jeskai Ascendancy go for now? I know promos aren't usually worth that much but Khans promos were semi-randomized so that might bump their prices up a bit right?

Websites like scg list it for $3 but they are all out of stock and tcgplayer lists it for $15+

check ebay completed sales for a ballpark price. TCGplayer has so few sellers that its basically worthless beyond "this card is worth more than two dollars."

Alternatively, you should hold onto that ascendancy until the modern combo deck crushes a major event and then laugh your way to the bank (before it gets banned)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I pulled the ultimate gambler move today. I was buying some singles at the LGS and they only had one Surrak, but I wanted two. The guy at the counter is like, I have some I can trade and I'm like, okay sell me one pack and it doesn't have a Surrak, then I will go back to my car and get my trade binder.

You're drat straight it was a Surrak in that pack.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I just got to villainous wealth for 11 and still lost in three turns. This game is strange sometimes.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

tirinal posted:

I just got to villainous wealth for 11 and still lost in three turns. This game is strange sometimes.

unbelievable whiff? or were you being beat down with flyers?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

tirinal posted:

I love Villainous Wealth but I think it follows the same principle as the "give your opponents choices" cards; don't rely on your opponents deck

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I pulled 5 fetchlands out of a box; better than I was expecting, that was about the best I hoped for. I think that puts me at 9 for 50 with a handful of mythics along the way. Still no Sorin, though -- I lost to Sorin's ultimate my last match at FNM this week.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I pulled 5 fetchlands out of a box; better than I was expecting, that was about the best I hoped for. I think that puts me at 9 for 50 with a handful of mythics along the way. Still no Sorin, though -- I lost to Sorin's ultimate my last match at FNM this week.

I managed to ult Sorin, but it was too little too late the time I did it.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Carrasco posted:

Wasn't the black staff a 4-of sideboard card in standard at some point?

Yeah. Mono-Black was paying lots of life and cutting back on its lifegain, while control had decided to be more three colour and durdly, so Burn became the meta choice for a tourney or two; the meta-meta choice for people who'd seen this coming was to throw 4x Staff of the Death Magus in their sideboards. It was one of the Far East GPs (Beijing?) and reading the tournament reports of Yuuya Watanabe wrecking the Top 8 with loving Staves was hilarious. :allears:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Oh god im 2-0 in the PTQ finals with this stupid 4color deck lord have mercy

edit: 7 rounds to go until top 8 jesus christ, I'm going to be here all day and then some.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 5, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

I thought Sultai should be pretty good because access to black seems a prerequisite for the removal, but most rundowns I've seen put Sultai at the bottom. Oh well I'm going Abzan again tonight anyway

That's only even close to valid for sealed though, I think. A big problem with Sultai in those seeded sealeds is the rares in the promo pack have a decent chance of burning you with something too build-around for limited. Everyone who was making GBS threads on Sultai for Delve working against itself -- I criticized that before prerelease and after playing the set I'm willing to call them stone loving wrong. Yes, too much Delve and you start to cannibalize the benefits of having it. But everybody was evaluating it like 1) you're going to run every Delve card, 2) you're only going to play it when you can delve out the entire colorless cost, and 3) the tempo swing from dropping another card that your mana otherwise wouldn't allow this turn isn't a huge deal.

Those are dumb assumptions. If delving out one card lets me play an extra Mandrills this turn, that is a HUGE drat DEAL.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That's only even close to valid for sealed though, I think. A big problem with Sultai in those seeded sealeds is the rares in the promo pack have a decent chance of burning you with something too build-around for limited. Everyone who was making GBS threads on Sultai for Delve working against itself -- I criticized that before prerelease and after playing the set I'm willing to call them stone loving wrong. Yes, too much Delve and you start to cannibalize the benefits of having it. But everybody was evaluating it like 1) you're going to run every Delve card, 2) you're only going to play it when you can delve out the entire colorless cost, and 3) the tempo swing from dropping another card that your mana otherwise wouldn't allow this turn isn't a huge deal.

Those are dumb assumptions. If delving out one card lets me play an extra Mandrills this turn, that is a HUGE drat DEAL.

Also, half the delve cards shove a card back into your yard, or at the very least if you are needing to trade you can turn the creature you just cast into a card in yard. Casting a mandrills after casting a treasure cruise will never cost less than 5, assuming you do nothing in between.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Abzan has probably the best rares, but I'd argue that Sultai has some of the best commons. Abomination of Gudul is incredible, especially in multiples.

Went 3-1 with a Temur sealed pool last night. Splashed black for a Murderous Cut and an Abomination of Gudul because of course.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 5, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Zorak posted:

Abzan has probably the best rares, but I'd argue that Sultai has some of the best commons. Abomination of Gudul is incredible, especially in multiples.

if my deck was just removal, random morphs and 2plays, and Aboms/Mandrills/Sultai Scavengers I would be a happy man.

Actually I've built this deck several times now that I think about it, and it owns, so yeah. Sultai is fine in sealed but feels very good in draft.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
Bug, or is MODO just getting much more encouraging?

This popped up about 30 mins after the match was over, too.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Zorak posted:

Went 3-1 with a Temur sealed pool last night. Splashed black for a Murderous Cut and an Abomination of Gudul because of course.
But you can play the best Sultai commons in Abzan man!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

neetengie posted:

But you can play the best Sultai commons in Abzan man!

Treaaaasure Cruise and Singing Bell strikkeeeeeee (and Abom of Guduul)

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 5, 2014

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Has there been any word about reprints of the Zendikar fetches in the 2nd KTK block set? It seems like it might be weird having all 10 in standard at the same time, but maybe that's an unfounded fear.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The March Hare posted:

Has there been any word about reprints of the Zendikar fetches in the 2nd KTK block set? It seems like it might be weird having all 10 in standard at the same time, but maybe that's an unfounded fear.

I think it's more likely that they'll save those reprinted for another set; why pass on the chance to make another set a big sell? Not that I'll complain if they do

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

bhsman posted:

I think it's more likely that they'll save those reprinted for another set; why pass on the chance to make another set a big sell? Not that I'll complain if they do

In that sense, it's probably more likely for the third KTK set, both to reflect the changed future (Flooded Strand -> Steam Vents, Wooded Foothills -> Misty Rainforest, Polluted Delta -> Marsh Flats, Windswept Heath -> Arid Mesa) and to get people to stop opening KTK and open the third set instead.

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 5, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Niton posted:

In that sense, it's probably more likely for the third KTK set, both to reflect the changed future (Flooded Strand -> Steam Vents, Wooded Foothills -> Misty Rainforest, etc) and to get people to stop opening KTK and open the third set instead.

Also possible, but I still think they won't do it within this set, and if they don't it likely won't be for another few.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bhsman posted:

Also possible, but I still think they won't do it within this set, and if they don't it likely won't be for another few.

They've said a whole lot of times that if they were to reprint the fetches they'd reprint them all in the same block.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Is it normal for someone to feel uncomfortable at an IQ?

because everyone here seems really angry

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Serperoth posted:

They've said a whole lot of times that if they were to reprint the fetches they'd reprint them all in the same block.

My thought was that maybe they would do something similar to what they did w/ the RTR cycle where you have half in the first set, half in the second, and then all of them in the 3rd at reduced chances or whatever it was.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The March Hare posted:

My thought was that maybe they would do something similar to what they did w/ the RTR cycle where you have half in the first set, half in the second, and then all of them in the 3rd at reduced chances or whatever it was.

Well, in this block's case it would be all of them in the 2nd, which actually would fit perfectly well IMO (dunno if they'd want to do it, though).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If they put the Zendikar fetches in Fate Reforged (kinda unlikely) or Louie (more likely) will Courser's price start climbing again?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Serperoth posted:

Do you have a link? That's the first I've heard of it, but it would be awesome if they did.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

bhsman posted:

Do you have a link? That's the first I've heard of it, but it would be awesome if they did.

It's been on MaRo's tumblr whenever people would ask about the fetches, they don't/didn't like not having them all in Modern, and also that they all need a reprint, so the plan is to do them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

If they put the Zendikar fetches in Fate Reforged (kinda unlikely) or Louie (more likely) will Courser's price start climbing again?

I don't think Courser's price will go up with a reprint in Dragons of Tarkir given that it will be close to rotating out by then.

• Locked thread