Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MykonosFan posted:

I got to chill and have a few dinners with Mike a few months back. He fields questions about Sonic on his FB every day so naturally he's a bit more tired of those discussions, but man get him talking about the cartoon a little and his eyes light up and he just constantly assures of how funny it's gonna be and what a joy it is to work on. The man loves to work so 52 episodes on a big cartoon network is obviously a boon but he shows this great enthusiasm when mentioning the cartoon. He just gets this different air about him you don't quite see when he talks about his other Eggman roles. Based on what we have seen, I don't think the cartoon is going to change children's programming but I think it's going to surprise a fair amount of cartoon lovers (and kids are definitely going to eat it up). I'm certain I'm going to love it, at least.

The games though...eh. I want to be surprised. Also while we're at it, I'm expecting the comic to be great as Archie has handled their Sonic (and Mega Man!) books well for quite a few years now.

Sounds like a great conversation :allears: reminds me of Teen Titans GO!, a funny sorta spinoff of the Teen Titans cartoon from a decade ago, and every time the voice actors show up and talk at comic con they all just have great stories about how the new cartoon is so much fun and how much they love hanging out and recording together. Cartoons are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

MykonosFan posted:

I got to chill and have a few dinners with Mike a few months back. He fields questions about Sonic on his FB every day so naturally he's a bit more tired of those discussions, but man get him talking about the cartoon a little and his eyes light up and he just constantly assures of how funny it's gonna be and what a joy it is to work on. The man loves to work so 52 episodes on a big cartoon network is obviously a boon but he shows this great enthusiasm when mentioning the cartoon. He just gets this different air about him you don't quite see when he talks about his other Eggman roles. Based on what we have seen, I don't think the cartoon is going to change children's programming but I think it's going to surprise a fair amount of cartoon lovers (and kids are definitely going to eat it up). I'm certain I'm going to love it, at least.

The games though...eh. I want to be surprised. Also while we're at it, I'm expecting the comic to be great as Archie has handled their Sonic (and Mega Man!) books well for quite a few years now.
This is seriously awesome to hear! Hopefully it turns out as fun as we hope it will be.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
That's good to hear. Personality is really the only big advantage Sonic had over Mario since the beginning. It's good to have a series where he can really be the endearingly smug dick he was always meant to be.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Trailer for the 3DS version has leaked. Looks like we're sticking to the time honoured tradition of pre-rendered cutscenes, because no way is that being rendered for 3DS hardware.

Also all hail Shadow.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Two new trailers out of Sonic Boom (the event) for Sonic Boom (the games) as well as Sonic Boom (the cartoon).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT0oqTr3iGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYlEF0sLoJ0

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

"Give me back my robot!"
"Or what?"
"...that's a fair question."

I'm going to love every second of this dumb show :allears:

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
The TV show looks funny but that new character is the worst

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, Sticks looks pretty darn awful, but going from these summaries, it seems Eggman and Amy are going to save the show

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/10/four-new-sonic-boom-episode-plots-revealed/
1. Tails makes a translator that read people’s minds. (This episode is probably entitled ‘Translate this’ which was also announced at Sonic Boom)

2. The cast find and read Amy’s “fan fiction” of the cast.

3. Amy and Eggman play a pretty puppy MMO together without letting everyone else know. Sonic catches Eggman at Amy’s house. Amy and Eggman end up going to PuppyCon to the reluctance of Sonic, who will be going as well.”

4. When Eggman is made homeless, Eggman comes to live with Sonic and friends by crashing on their couch for a few weeks. Episode is entitled An Evil Genius Crashes on the Couch for a Few Weeks

Amy and Eggman dragging Sonic to a WoW/Brony con is the kinda poo poo I never knew I needed.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ok, I'm loving sold on the show.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This sounds like the best show on the planet. :allears:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Somebody make a gif of that part with Sonic casually sliding along the ground.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I smell a whole bunch of awesome gifs incoming; this looks amazing, like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog for a whole new generation.

The game trailer shows Sonic kicking Shadow really hard in the face, so I guess it can't be all bad.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Amy and Eggman dragging Sonic to a WoW/Brony con is the kinda poo poo I never knew I needed.

You and me both, brother

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

This show sounds stupid in all the right ways. Personality is the one thing that Sonic's always had up on Mario and it looks like that's coming into the forefront, even for his usually annoying friends.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
As chuckle-worthy as Eggman is, I can't get over how awful the rest of the show looks and the game looks like Sonic Heroes in the worst way.

What was wrong with Generations? Why can't they just stick to that formula? Why is Sega determined to return us to the dreaded Sonic Cycle?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

As chuckle-worthy as Eggman is, I can't get over how awful the rest of the show looks and the game looks like Sonic Heroes in the worst way.

What was wrong with Generations? Why can't they just stick to that formula? Why is Sega determined to return us to the dreaded Sonic Cycle?

Because the alternative is being like Mario. Sure, all his games are good, because they were good the first time Nintendo made them.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Shadowlyger posted:

Because the alternative is being like Mario. Sure, all his games are good, because they were good the first time Nintendo made them.

Do you want Sonic 2k6 to come back? Do you want Sonic 2k6 to come back?!

For a brief, shining moment Sonic was good again, and then Lost World came out and despair once more settled across the land. Sonic Boom will be yet another awful Sonic game destined to lay in the pile with the likes of Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic Unleashed.

Also regarding Sonic Unleashed: oh my god gently caress the werehog stages. I can't believe I wasted 15 bucks on this shitshow of a game and I will never again listen to goons. "The hedgehog stages are good!" THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO WARRANT THE WEREHOG. It's like smacking my dick with a hammer, except I can't make money filming myself getting annoyed at a cartoon hedgehog-monster.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

I liked the werehog stages more than the hedgehog stages. :colbert:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You are history's greatest monster.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reminder that this isn't being made by Sonic Team, who are instead working on a different Sonic game for 2015 that is unrelated to Sonic Boom.

As for why they seem to have ditched the "Modern Sonic" formula used in Unleashed, Colors, and Generations, that's because creating those levels takes an absurd amount of time and resources, and when they're done they only have a single game that is short on content. It sucks because I enjoyed that gameplay a lot, and there isn't really anything else like it.

Anyway the show looks rad and the game looks outstandingly mediocre. I really love Eggman's fading "Nooooo" at the end

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
In some ways I actually likes Lost World more than Generations. It felt like a first gen product that could be amazing if they stick with that formula and refine it. My main complaints are no secret stage for getting the emeralds and that the wall running controls were a bit wonky.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, Sticks looks pretty darn awful, but going from these summaries, it seems Eggman and Amy are going to save the show

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/10/four-new-sonic-boom-episode-plots-revealed/
1. Tails makes a translator that read people’s minds. (This episode is probably entitled ‘Translate this’ which was also announced at Sonic Boom)

2. The cast find and read Amy’s “fan fiction” of the cast.

3. Amy and Eggman play a pretty puppy MMO together without letting everyone else know. Sonic catches Eggman at Amy’s house. Amy and Eggman end up going to PuppyCon to the reluctance of Sonic, who will be going as well.”

4. When Eggman is made homeless, Eggman comes to live with Sonic and friends by crashing on their couch for a few weeks. Episode is entitled An Evil Genius Crashes on the Couch for a Few Weeks

The jokes in that weren't half bad! I sure hope they'll manage to make something neat out of this.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Somebody make a gif of that part with Sonic casually sliding along the ground.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I smell a whole bunch of awesome gifs incoming; this looks amazing, like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog for a whole new generation.

The game trailer shows Sonic kicking Shadow really hard in the face, so I guess it can't be all bad.

I literally just decided to give gif making a go again for the sake of this:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Jsor posted:

In some ways I actually likes Lost World more than Generations. It felt like a first gen product that could be amazing if they stick with that formula and refine it. My main complaints are no secret stage for getting the emeralds and that the wall running controls were a bit wonky.

That's exactly what I think about Lost World. It's got a lot of nice ideas that I'd love to see refined. The problem was that the game doesn't stick with any one for a decent length of time to really get their mileage out of them. Just like the storyline that couldn't seem to decide if it wanted to be serious or comical and ended up doing both poorly. It resulted in a really uneven experience.

We can only hope that they're taking the lessons from this and really refining them instead of tossing it out and starting from scratch.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Do you want Sonic 2k6 to come back? Do you want Sonic 2k6 to come back?!

For a brief, shining moment Sonic was good again, and then Lost World came out and despair once more settled across the land. Sonic Boom will be yet another awful Sonic game destined to lay in the pile with the likes of Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic Unleashed.

Also regarding Sonic Unleashed: oh my god gently caress the werehog stages. I can't believe I wasted 15 bucks on this shitshow of a game and I will never again listen to goons. "The hedgehog stages are good!" THEY ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO WARRANT THE WEREHOG. It's like smacking my dick with a hammer, except I can't make money filming myself getting annoyed at a cartoon hedgehog-monster.

Seriously, calm down. You're sounding like the archetypical videogame fan whining stereotype.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
As someone who was a kid when the Sonic/Mario cartoons were first on TV, this looks pretty good, Sonic X doesn't count as I was around 14 then and had little interest in Sonic at that point. :v:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Geostomp posted:

Seriously, calm down. You're sounding like the archetypical videogame fan whining stereotype.

Relax, the hyperbole's there for comic reasons, although I mean it when I say the Sonic Boom franchise looks like a pile of hot garbage,

Also, why the hell is Eggman still Eggman if he isn't egg-shaped anymore?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hold an egg and look at the old Eggman. Now turn the egg upside down, viola, sonic boom Eggman has arrived.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If the show's good then it won't matter if the Boom game is terrible.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The games both look fine, just nothing earth shattering.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The only bad thing I can say about what we've seen of the show is that the mouth animations are really badly done. A lot of the voices don't seem to sync up with the mouth movements very well.

I love how goofy the show is going though. Eggman living with Sonic & Co is gonna be pretty funny I imagine.

That new character is really terrible though, and they picked the most annoying voice for her they could. That voice works for Suzie on the Rugrats and that's about it.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
re: Lost World

I really enjoyed the game when it came out and only really disliked two mandatory stages (the owl stage and the flying through the sky stage). Now that I've had more time to think about it, I've decided it's my favourite 3D Sonic game. First off, it's the tightest controls of any Sonic game ever. If you screw up, it is entirely your fault because you have so many tools at your disposal. As such, it has a beginner barrier to it because the controls really are pretty complex.

Second, the design of the game is incredible. It's beautiful, the story is exactly what I want from a children's game and the levels are super fun. Check out how much you can gently caress with this game when you master the controls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS_qZ2bCEJE

The only bad thing really is that the control tutorials should have been mandatory, because they're too easy to miss and far too important to lose out on.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Friendly Factory posted:

re: Lost World

I really enjoyed the game when it came out and only really disliked two mandatory stages (the owl stage and the flying through the sky stage). Now that I've had more time to think about it, I've decided it's my favourite 3D Sonic game. First off, it's the tightest controls of any Sonic game ever. If you screw up, it is entirely your fault because you have so many tools at your disposal. As such, it has a beginner barrier to it because the controls really are pretty complex.

Second, the design of the game is incredible. It's beautiful, the story is exactly what I want from a children's game and the levels are super fun. Check out how much you can gently caress with this game when you master the controls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS_qZ2bCEJE

The only bad thing really is that the control tutorials should have been mandatory, because they're too easy to miss and far too important to lose out on.

That looks slow.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
My main issue with Lost World is that it felt like the level designers wanted to try something completely different in every single level, so the game feels more like a collection of demos than it does a cohesive collection of stages from one game. In Sonic 3 there are different things you're worrying about per-level, but the main theme of the game is go fast and try to take the high road. Lost World tries a bunch of different things at once and feels all over the place. One level you're confined to a snowball with weird controls, the next level you're on a minecart you can't control and if you haven't memorized the level layout you will die in one hit. Sometimes you get to play a normal-ish Sonic platforming level that's in 3D, sometimes it's 2D the whole level. Sometimes you're doing a Mach Speed section from Sonic 06 with better controls. It felt like a lovely take on Super Mario Galaxy, instead of the newest Sonic game after Generations.

Not to mention the wet fart of a final boss fight. You beat the deadly six, then Eggman powers up his machine, Sonic goes Super, aaaaaand it died really fast. I didn't really like any of the boss fights in the game, for that matter. They were either mind-numbingly easy or they were the last fight with the red alien whose name I can't remember where you have to KNOW that you have to lock onto him at this very specific time except only in this fight can you lock on MORE than anywhere else in the game, and the game doesn't tell you anything about it.

There were levels I enjoyed though, just not enough of them, and I did like the writing. Lost World just felt so disappointing after how much I liked Generations. I don't think it's a bad game, it's just incredibly mediocre.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Xad posted:

[...]It felt like a lovely take on Super Mario Galaxy, instead of the newest Sonic game after Generations.[...]

This. THIS. This sums up my feelings about Lost World better than I ever could have.

Also, gently caress the Deadly Six. Their fun and wacky ska theme does nothing to change how annoying and boring they were as antagonists. What was so wrong with Eggman being the boss of every level? If there was something Sonic Unleashed did right, it was the fights with Eggman -- the Egg Beetle's one of the best fights in the franchise.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Since this is basically a general Sonic thread, cross-posting this from the Mega Man thread:

Another crossover event happening in the comics, supposed to be a lot bigger in scope than the last one.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Kelp Plankton posted:

Since this is basically a general Sonic thread, cross-posting this from the Mega Man thread:

Another crossover event happening in the comics, supposed to be a lot bigger in scope than the last one.

Yessssss. I was a huge fan of the previous crossover. It was such a fun read, being a huge nerd about Mega Man and Sonic stuff. It was pretty well-written too, made me want to keep reading the Sonic/Mega Man archie comics.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They need to make the Megaman & Sonic crossover into a game, making sure to include plenty of cutscenes with Wiley and Robotnik bro-in out.

I've never actually read the crossover comics, are Robotnik and Wiley BFFs the whole time or do they do what always happens when villains team up where eventually they want to be the #1 of the team and then they fight and then the good guys take advantage of the distraction. Cause I hope it's the former

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Macaluso posted:

They need to make the Megaman & Sonic crossover into a game, making sure to include plenty of cutscenes with Wiley and Robotnik bro-in out.

I've never actually read the crossover comics, are Robotnik and Wiley BFFs the whole time or do they do what always happens when villains team up where eventually they want to be the #1 of the team and then they fight and then the good guys take advantage of the distraction. Cause I hope it's the former

They're pretty friendly up until the last couple of issues, when it turns to homicidal pranks. Eggman and Wily had the best crossover villain dynamic I'd ever seen.

So mad that Skull Egg Zone isn't a real level. :(

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Macaluso posted:

They bro it the hell up for most of the crossover, until Eggman has Metal Sonic throw Dr Light out of the Wily Egg, which pisses Wily off. They still manage to work together well enough to accomplish their goal, right up until Sonic and Megaman BOTH go Super.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Worlds Collide was pretty cool so I have no doubt Worlds Unite will be even better.

Also, I just want to post this from the upcoming Boom comic:

Fully expecting it to be worthwhile, alongside the cartoon.

• Locked thread