Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I inherited a bunch of cameras from my dad who passed away 15 years ago (they finally got sent to me). No idea if any of it is worth a poo poo, but I'm pretty excited to play with it. With the exception of the lens attached to the Exakta, everything is in great shape as far as I can tell.

Should I be excited about this cache of gear (besides the sentimental value)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pukestain Pal posted:

I inherited a bunch of cameras from my dad who passed away 15 years ago (they finally got sent to me). No idea if any of it is worth a poo poo, but I'm pretty excited to play with it. With the exception of the lens attached to the Exakta, everything is in great shape as far as I can tell.

loving yes you should be excited, and if you're not please send it all to me posthaste.

I don't know what that Exacta is but drat, and the Pentax looks super nice too.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
Exaktas are weird as poo poo and and people either find that they're really cool to work with, or backwards and difficult, especially if it has the waistlevel viewfinder, which it looks like it does. Waistlevel finders are awesome and really change the way you compose, but they can be strange at first. Lots of awesome Zeiss and Meyer lenses that came in m42 mount came in the Exakta mount as well, and they're usually seem to be cheaper in Exakta, maybe because the mount is harder to adapt for modern cameras.
As for the Pentax, you should be excited. It's a Pentax! Everyone should have at least one. That one looks like like an SV or H3V, which is pretty much a Spotmatic without a light meter. I use a Spotmatic myself and they're fantastic cameras. That camera will take the same M42 lenses as most other Pentax cameras of that era. M42 glass is widely available and (usually) pretty cheap. Check out the Helios 44M series and SMC Takumar lenses for some kickass glass at a good price. KEH.com keeps a decent supply of Takumar lenses on hand. The 50/1.4 is a classic for a reason, and you can get one for about $100.

So yes, you should be excited about both of those cameras, and all of the other stuff. Get a CLA on both of them and have a shitload of fun.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
Welp I got a second Nikon FE2. This one is mint and I got a soft case and a badass strap with is for 100$ total.
Owner was real nice and offered me a Nikkor 35mm f2.8 for 100$, is that a good deal? I mean, I don't really need it, and how much of a difference is it from my 50mm f1.8?
Now my chrome FE2 got a black FE2 buddy to chill with. What is nice too is that I can play with hp5 and delta 3200 at the same time now. Film is fun.

:)

It's going to ruin me

:(

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Gargonovitch posted:

Exaktas are weird as poo poo and and people either find that they're really cool to work with, or backwards and difficult, especially if it has the waistlevel viewfinder, which it looks like it does. Waistlevel finders are awesome and really change the way you compose, but they can be strange at first. Lots of awesome Zeiss and Meyer lenses that came in m42 mount came in the Exakta mount as well, and they're usually seem to be cheaper in Exakta, maybe because the mount is harder to adapt for modern cameras.
As for the Pentax, you should be excited. It's a Pentax! Everyone should have at least one. That one looks like like an SV or H3V, which is pretty much a Spotmatic without a light meter. I use a Spotmatic myself and they're fantastic cameras. That camera will take the same M42 lenses as most other Pentax cameras of that era. M42 glass is widely available and (usually) pretty cheap. Check out the Helios 44M series and SMC Takumar lenses for some kickass glass at a good price. KEH.com keeps a decent supply of Takumar lenses on hand. The 50/1.4 is a classic for a reason, and you can get one for about $100.

So yes, you should be excited about both of those cameras, and all of the other stuff. Get a CLA on both of them and have a shitload of fun.

Awesome! Can't wait to get started! The lens is super dusty, at least on the outside, so hopefully I can salvage it.

The pentax is an SV. It has a fuckload of dust on the mirror, but otherwise seems in great shape. I'm guessing that won't affect the photos. It'll also be easy to clean up I suspect too.

The exacta is strange. It has a viewfinder, but doesn't seem to have a mirror? Is it hosed?

What exactly is a CLA? A cleaning? Any reputable places?

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 5, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Grimarest posted:

Welp I got a second Nikon FE2. This one is mint and I got a soft case and a badass strap with is for 100$ total.
Owner was real nice and offered me a Nikkor 35mm f2.8 for 100$, is that a good deal? I mean, I don't really need it, and how much of a difference is it from my 50mm f1.8?
Now my chrome FE2 got a black FE2 buddy to chill with. What is nice too is that I can play with hp5 and delta 3200 at the same time now. Film is fun.

:)

It's going to ruin me

:(

Nice, I just bought a silver FE2 to go with my black FM2.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
A CLA is a Clean, Lube, and Adjustment. Old mechanical cameras like these use oil and grease to lubricate their gears, and over time, it hardens and gunks up the camera, usually making your shutter speeds slower than they're supposed to be or making parts stick. A good CLA will remove all of the existing grease and other gunk in your camera, put new grease in, and then they'll adjust the tensions on all of the mechanical parts so that your shutter speeds go back to normal.
For the Pentax, Eric Hendrickson is your man. There is nobody better for Pentax cameras, especially these older ones. I sent him my Spotmatic which was pretty much a trainwreck when I bought it, and now it works like new. His website is https://www.pentaxs.com and his prices are super reasonable, especially for the quality of his work. Expect to spend around 100 bucks after shipping if you live in the states.
I don't know who does Exakta CLA work offhand. Any goons know anybody? Maybe give Oleg Khalyavin an email. After WWII, Exaktas were produced in Soviet East Germany, and Oleg Khalyavin fixes most of those cameras. If he can't do it, I bet he would know who could. His website is https://www.okvintagecamera.com
If it's missing a mirror that's a problem, but the Exakta doesn't have automatic mirror return like most SLRs. Simply put, the mirror stays up after you take a shot and has to be cocked. So, it might just be up when you're looking for it. Cock the camera and see if the mirror lowers itself.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pukestain Pal posted:

Awesome! Can't wait to get started! The lens is super dusty, at least on the outside, so hopefully I can salvage it.

The pentax is an SV. It has a fuckload of dust on the mirror, but otherwise seems in great shape. I'm guessing that won't affect the photos. It'll also be easy to clean up I suspect too.

The exacta is strange. It has a viewfinder, but doesn't seem to have a mirror? Is it hosed?

What exactly is a CLA? A cleaning? Any reputable places?

Clean, lube, adjust.
Make sure everything like shutter speed is correct (light meters on so equiped cameras) and clean. Replace seals, etc
For pentax, eric hendrikson is the best. He isn't cheap, and his response times are a bit 20th century (don't expect prompr anything), but you'll be amazed at how much better your camera is.
He claed my spottie 2 years ago and did an amazing job. I hope he stays around (he is quite old) long enough for my next one. http://pentaxs.com

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Gargonovitch posted:

Cock the camera and see if the mirror lowers itself.

Yup, it is there, but I can BARELY see through it. It's really dark. Guess it's probably in need of a serious scrubbing.

Top of the camera pops up and you can see the viewfinder and the mirror.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 5, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

nm posted:

Clean, lube, adjust.
Make sure everything like shutter speed is correct (light meters on so equiped cameras) and clean. Replace seals, etc
For pentax, eric hendrikson is the best. He isn't cheap, and his response times are a bit 20th century (don't expect prompr anything), but you'll be amazed at how much better your camera is.
He claed my spottie 2 years ago and did an amazing job. I hope he stays around (he is quite old) long enough for my next one. http://pentaxs.com

Thanks, I shot him an email.

and yes, these guys seem pretty gummed up.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pukestain Pal posted:

They're not hugely valuable or anything, but you probably weren't looking to sell your dad's cameras anyway.

It's a pretty decent start if you want to go out and take some pictures though! I can't tell what's mounted on the Exakta but my suspicion is that that and the 28mm are probably the nicest lenses there.

They may need a cleaning at this point but they also may be OK just as is. Be careful if you try cleaning the dust off the mirrors yourself - you don't want to scratch it, any scratches will show up in the viewfinder.

If you can't get an image through the Exakta then something is wrong - the mirror may be stuck. If you haven't, try winding and releasing the shutter - it's an old enough camera that it may not be an "instant return" mirror, in which case you only get a viewfinder image once you wind on to the next shot.

e:

Pukestain Pal posted:

Yup, it is there, but I can BARELY see through it. It's really dark. Guess it's probably in need of a serious scrubbing.

Please please don't "scrub" anything, and be careful what you put on there in terms of solvents. If you wouldn't do it to a pair of antique eyeglasses, don't do it to a camera. You should probably just get a camel-hair brush (any camera store) and see what you can just brush loose.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 5, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I can't tell what's mounted on the Exakta but my suspicion is that that and the 28mm are probably the nicest lenses there.

Yes, it is the 28mm.

I plan on getting it all professionally cleaned, hopefully from a recommendation. I'm not touching it.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Gargonovitch posted:

especially if it has the waistlevel viewfinder, which it looks like it does. Waistlevel finders are awesome and really change the way you compose, but they can be strange at first.

Looks like I'm missing the waistlevel viewfinder. It's just the normal one. I'm guessing I could probably buy one? I'm thinking it'd be worth it.

Also, bonus! I have the original manual for the Exaktor (copywrite 1951...so can I assume is was made in east germany then?). There was also film in the camera, but unfortunately (I opened it) and it didn't seem to have anything shot on it anyways.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 5, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've got Fomadon LQN developer, which has been fine at the recommended 1:10 dilution for 10 minutes development. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/700020-Foma-Fomadon-LQN-Liquid-Film-Developer-250-ml-makes-2.75-to-3.75

I'd like to try stand development for my next batch of film; recommendations for dilutions, stand times, and agitation times? 1:100 for an hour? Is there a rule of thumb on dilutions for stand dev?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So, I just bought a 300/4 SMC Tak
It's a little rough when stopped down. (It isn't from the scan)

Still Portra 160 has great dynamic range.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

How'd you meter that?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ansel autisms posted:

How'd you meter that?

Spotmeter aimed at the sky away from the sun. I think it was f/22 at 1/1000 as I have no 77mm filters. I didn't make any adjustments because of 160s dynamic range when it came to over exposure.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 6, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Gargonovitch posted:

Maybe give Oleg Khalyavin an email. After WWII, Exaktas were produced in Soviet East Germany, and Oleg Khalyavin fixes most of those cameras. If he can't do it, I bet he would know who could. His website is https://www.okvintagecamera.com

Thanks for the recommendation! He got back to me and is going to do it for $120.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
So this guy posted in a film group on facebook wanting to know how to get film out of the cannister...

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
He's probably just got a $30 flat bed scanner from Office Works too I bet, lots of winners in Clarkson.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Tried some microphen at the thread's recommendation

Malcom by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Loving the fine grain even at 1600 and I'm definitely going to play around with it more.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That photo's great.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

evil_bunnY posted:

That photo's great.

Thanks. This roll's been sitting in the Lynx for flipping ever so it was nice to find that one.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Spedman posted:

He's probably just got a $30 flat bed scanner from Office Works too I bet, lots of winners in Clarkson.

Haha I didn't notice he was in Clarkson, I've never been there but apparently it's poo poo.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

It's like every other new suburb on the edge of an Australian capital, devoid of culture, trees and happiness.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

But full of debt!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
So it seems the frontman for the band "War on Drugs" has been documenting life on the road with a film camera.*
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/08/the-war-on-drugs-photo-diary/

*trigger warning "hipster photography"

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

RustedChrome posted:

So it seems the frontman for the band "War on Drugs" has been documenting life on the road with a film camera.*
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/08/the-war-on-drugs-photo-diary/

*trigger warning "hipster photography"

http://pitchfork.com/news/56989-here-it-is-mark-kozeleks-song-called-war-on-drugs-suck-my-cock/

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
^ First thing I thought of lol

Also, where's the nudes of krysten Ritter?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

This is like east coast rappers and west coast rappers having a beef but with passive aggressive white people right?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

So I got a quote for $120 from the pentax dude. I'm actually happy with that since it's about 1/2 of what I expected. Can't wait to get rocking on this.

Next is sending the other body to moscow.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Pretty happy with getting that Pentax repaired for only $100. Was expecting it to cost more.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
London Drugs in :canada: is increasing their film processing prices by a significant amount.

Previously, film processing only was around $4.50 per roll. Looks like they are encouraging you to spend more on prints by lowering the processing cost. But if you want just the negatives only, you have to pay a lot more.

Welp, good thing I've recently invested in doing my own C-41 at home which comes to about $2/roll.

In similar news, London Drugs now sells Lomography cameras like the Diana F and that cardboard DIY 35mm SLR, which is neat.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
The film processing machines have been breaking down one by one in the Costcos around me. Two have broken down within two months of each other. Luckily theres a few still left within manageable driving distances. Plus it's $1.49 a roll :twisted: so I don't mind driving far.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

Looks like Ferrania's going to get funded! Which means I'll have 4 rolls of Scotch Chrome coming to me.

This brings me to my next point. Any Canadian goons know where I can get E6 or RA4 chemicals from?
All the E6 kits I've found are liquid, and so they're ORM-D in the States, so Freestyle and B+H won't ship it across the border. I can get it processed, but Don's is charging $16.59 per roll for 135 and $11.00 per roll for 120, which is horseshit. A kit would pay for itself in 2 rolls.
I found a place that will order RA4 chems in for me, but I have to buy a minimum of 4 kits or they won't do it. If someone wanted to do a group buy I guess we could, but I'd really rather just buy one kit.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

From B&H you can get the Tetenal powder press kit for $24.50, I was getting 10+ rolls per kit. Also check out the digibase kits at Macodirect, good value and great quality, both C41 and RA4.

And RA4 printing is the worst, I wouldn't recommend it.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

So with the a 1 litre kit like http://www.freestylephoto.biz/10123-Unicolor-Powder-C-41-Film-Negative-Processing-Kit-1-Liter

Stupid question but do you need to use it 1 litre at a time? I have a 500ml tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

deaders posted:

So with the a 1 litre kit like http://www.freestylephoto.biz/10123-Unicolor-Powder-C-41-Film-Negative-Processing-Kit-1-Liter

Stupid question but do you need to use it 1 litre at a time? I have a 500ml tank.

You need to mix the entire kit at once, to get 1 L of each solution. However after that you can measure out however much you need for each development.

So, if the kit is good for 10 films, and you have a 500 ml tank that takes two rolls at a time, you would pour 500 ml of the developer solution into the tank, do the development thing, and pour the used developer back into your bottle together with the still-fresh developer. You can reasonably continue to do that until you get worse results from development, usually after 10 or so rolls.

You could optionally have a replenisher to add to the working solution once in a while, to keep it fresh.

For B/W development, if you use Xtol, that can be used in the stock solution as both developer and its own replenisher. I.e. take however much you need off your working solution, develop, mix used developer back into bottle of working solution, and add a bit of fresh stock.
Other developers can also be used with replenishment, but Xtol is the only one I know of that is replenisher for itself.