Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cippalippus posted:

That's a pretty short list of old crap that pales in comparison to the more recent bullshit that the USA has pulled on the world.
Basically if you think that after Iraq you are going to feel superior to Russia, boyo, you're going to be hit with a sore disappointment. American sanctions in fact are a blessing for us since we give no fucks about them and are strengthening our relationship with Russia.

Anyway, and to the point, the countries you listed didn't have anything to do with Russia, but with the Soviet Union, which at the time was ruled by a Georgian. Putin got you covered on that and evened the score.

I feel superior to Russia every time I walk down the street and I don't get attacked by a pack of wild dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

intresting article on USSR bioweapons programs: http://www.oie.int/doc/ged/D3266.PDF

i'll just leave this little gem out here since it's topical

I.V. Domaradskij & W. Orent posted:

In conclusion, it should be noted that living standards in Russia remain low, and the overwhelming majority of scientists have a miserable existence.
also, everyone else.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bulgaria too. Arguably E. Germany, if we count the June Uprising of 1953 as a Soviet anti-democratic crackdown.

But then it's not like the US is exactly clean when it comes to medlding in the foreign policy of others. We've got a whole doctrine plus corollary that taken together boil down to "no one ever gets to gently caress around in the western hemisphere but us, and we get to stick our noses into the domestic affairs of any other government in the Americas." And then we should probably just politely not talk about anything the CIA has ever done and we should really avoid looking too closely at US foreign policy from Truman -> Reagan.

There's a pretty god drat huge difference in kind between what the Russians did in the Baltics and Poland etc. versus anything we did in the Cold War. There's no moral equivalency here. We might not have clean hands, but they're a drat sight cleaner than the Russians'.

Cippalippus posted:

That's a pretty short list of old crap that pales in comparison to the more recent bullshit that the USA has pulled on the world.

If you'd like something recent, besides the obvious Ukraine example, we could happily point you to Chechnya, Georgia, and all of the frozen conflicts in post-Soviet states like Transnistria and Nagorno-Karabakh.

VVVVV The policy of invading neighboring countries to keep them from adopting the free market is even called the "Brezhnev Doctrine."

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 5, 2014

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Cippalippus posted:

Anyway, and to the point, the countries you listed didn't have anything to do with Russia, but with the Soviet Union, which at the time was ruled by a Georgian. Putin got you covered on that and evened the score.

Unless Joseph Stalin is an immortal zombie, I'm pretty sure his Georgian rear end wasn't alive (or even ruling) past 1953. History is hard...so is a 10 second wikipedia search.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mortabis posted:

There's a pretty god drat huge difference in kind between what the Russians did in the Baltics and Poland etc. versus anything we did in the Cold War. There's no moral equivalency here. We might not have clean hands, but they're a drat sight cleaner than the Russians'.

I'm not arguing for a moral equivalency (as if such a thing can even exist), I'm just saying that neither side really comes out of the last 70 years with a great moral high ground to operate from. If you really want to draw some kind of line between the US and the Russians in that period, I suppose it would be that while the Russians did their violent repressing personally we enabled others to do it for us, and frequently encouraged it rather emphatically. The US was directly responsible for establishing and propping up a lot of really lovely governments that did some really lovely things in the name of quashing "communist conspiracies and uprisings."

Just start with the Bodo League Massacres and move forward from there up through all of the CIA supported anti-communist activities in Latin and South America.

edit: not to mention how much of it was really puerile self-enrichment. Look up the brothers Dulles and the relationship between Guatemala, The US State Department, the CIA, and the United Fruit Company.

edit x3: don't even get me started on the US in Africa. The fact that every US president from Johnson to Bush Sr. glad handed with Mobotu Sese Seko is pretty inexcusable.

quote:

VVVVV The policy of invading neighboring countries to keep them from adopting the free market is even called the "Brezhnev Doctrine."

If you want to start pulling doctrines out I'll match your Brezhnev Doctrine with the Truman Doctrine that pre-dates it and Containment Policy in general.

edit x2: before anyone gets their panties into too much of a knot, I do agree that Cip has a uniquely misguided reading of history and his posting is some of the funniest stuff I've read in TFR in a while. The way the Russians (INCLUDING the Soviet Period - there really isn't any arguing that Russia wasn't the dominant political power in that union) have historically treated those they consider in their "natural sphere of influence" isn't exactly something to be celebrated. Things like the Holodomor and Baigais Gads are really loving ugly and dark stains and it's very understandable why countries that suffered through events like those in living memory wouldn't be too eager to suck up to Putin today.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 5, 2014

Jun 27, 2002

Carrion Fairy
Moral high ground or not, i reckon there's some difference between killing folks for democracy, free market economy and waitresses in hotpants VS killing folks to turn the world into a humorless concrete plan economy where the masses live on cabbage soup and fear.

edit: also this

LingcodKilla posted:

I feel superior to Russia every time I walk down the street and I don't get attacked by a pack of wild dogs

666 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 5, 2014

Chill Doomhate
Nov 12, 2013

by Shine

Chill Doomhate fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 17, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Me, I feel superior to Russia every time I look at a 1903 then look at a Mosin.

Or every time I look at a Garand, then look at a slightly newer Mosin.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

For his next trick, forums poster Cippalippus will demonstrate that the Third Reich was governed from Vienna.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

ChillRoommates posted:

Correction: I feel superior to Russia every time I walk into the subway and I don't get attacked by a pack of wild dogs.

All joking aside, that's pretty amazing and those dogs seem more chill than some human riders. I don't think I'd get anywhere in Moscow on foot, I'd be stopping to pet doggies all day long, then probably come down with some sort of disease.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

LingcodKilla posted:

I feel superior to Russia every time I walk down the street and I don't get attacked by a pack of wild dogs.

Huh I feel superior to Russia every time I go on a date with my partner and we don't get beaten half to death by Neo Nazis.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Dunno guys, neutrality has worked out pretty well for us, but you're free to send your sons to die in another continent if you feel like it. I'm sure that you're much safer for that. Excuse me while I enjoy my much higher standards of living, education and public safety while you dig deep in twentieth century history to justify your terrible services and public health records to finance wars that you keep losing.

It's amazing how idiots are still scared by Russians, who really couldn't give two fucks about what Americans think or want to do. American Society is paranoid and this thread, which is quite excellent when about the cold war, delves into McCarthy Era levels of idiocy when it's about current events.
Edit

Mortabis posted:

We might not have clean hands, but they're a drat sight cleaner than the Russians'.

Hahahaha Hah, you wish.

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 5, 2014

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Just remember, tomorrow's ruble will not be worth as much as yesterday's reichsmark.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I think you are mistaking amusement and disdain for threatened. Only reason anyone worries about Russia is its nuclear stock pile. As for the Swiss or whatever little country you are from, nobody gives a gently caress about you otherwise you would have been already absorbed by bigger neighbors. Beings being the home for a large poorly regulated banking system doesn't exactly make your hands clean from the worlds wrongs. Whole lot of pilfered blood money in those vaults...

Why don't you treat your Muslims a little better while we have your attention. I hear you haven't been too nice to them with the turrets and stuff.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I wonder what Pussy Riot thinks re: the US being worse than Russia.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Can someone make a new smiley to tell these loving annoying D&D refugees to go back? Have more newbies or people interested in military stuff would be nice, but these loving D&D rejects are just annoying as loving hell.

Chill Doomhate
Nov 12, 2013

by Shine

Chill Doomhate fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 17, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm not arguing for a moral equivalency (as if such a thing can even exist), I'm just saying that neither side really comes out of the last 70 years with a great moral high ground to operate from. If you really want to draw some kind of line between the US and the Russians in that period, I suppose it would be that while the Russians did their violent repressing personally we enabled others to do it for us, and frequently encouraged it rather emphatically. The US was directly responsible for establishing and propping up a lot of really lovely governments that did some really lovely things in the name of quashing "communist conspiracies and uprisings."

Just start with the Bodo League Massacres and move forward from there up through all of the CIA supported anti-communist activities in Latin and South America.

edit: not to mention how much of it was really puerile self-enrichment. Look up the brothers Dulles and the relationship between Guatemala, The US State Department, the CIA, and the United Fruit Company.

Yeah, the US has done some loving heinous poo poo in the Americas, both actively and passively. It was always funny when people would sign up for classes by one of the more popular History professors, knowing he'd worked for the CIA and had a good relationship with the ROTC program only to find out that precisely because of how much he'd worked with the CIA, he knew what miserable pricks we had been.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I think you are mistaking amusement and disdain for threatened. Only reason anyone worries about Russia is its nuclear stock pile. As for the Swiss or whatever little country you are from, nobody gives a gently caress about you otherwise you would have been already absorbed by bigger neighbors. Beings being the home for a large poorly regulated banking system doesn't exactly make your hands clean from the worlds wrongs. Whole lot of pilfered blood money in those vaults...

Why don't you treat your Muslims a little better while we have your attention. I hear you haven't been too nice to them with the turrets and stuff.
The banking system is extremely well regulated to help the people who don't want to pay the taxes in their own countries. It serves us, not you, just like everything else we do, including not spending money on stupid poo poo like fighter jets, is about serving us and not you.
About our Muslim minority, nobody forced them to come here and certainly nothing forces them to stay here if they don't like it. We had a referendum about minarets, if that's what you're talking about, and we decided that minarets have no place in Switzerland. Don't like it? We don't care.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

The banking system is extremely well regulated to help the people who don't want to pay the taxes in their own countries. It serves us, not you, just like everything else we do, including not spending money on stupid poo poo like fighter jets, is about serving us and not you.
About our Muslim minority, nobody forced them to come here and certainly nothing forces them to stay here if they don't like it. We had a referendum about minarets, if that's what you're talking about, and we decided that minarets have no place in Switzerland. Don't like it? We don't care.

There it is. :allears:

Chill Doomhate
Nov 12, 2013

by Shine
Kill all subhumans my goon dude

Chill Doomhate fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 17, 2016

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

ChillRoommates posted:

As they say: you can't be neutral on a moving train.

You can if you're doing business with the people who make it run on time. :jerkbag:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ, how old are you kid? I'm betting nearing the end of high school or beginning college.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cippalippus posted:

Basically if you think that after Iraq you are going to feel superior to Russia, boyo, you're going to be hit with a sore disappointment. American sanctions in fact are a blessing for us since we give no fucks about them and are strengthening our relationship with Russia.

Never stop posting. :allears:

Edit: It gets better with every new page.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 5, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cippalippus posted:

Hahaha, dude is more mad about Muslims ruining his hometown than bumfuck towns in backwoods Kentucky.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Mike-o posted:

Jesus christ, how old are you kid? I'm betting nearing the end of high school or beginning college.

Hey, I never expressed or saw that sort of sentiment in high school or college! I thought Cippalippus' viewpoint was based on well intentioned but badly thought through pacifism, but where did that come from?!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mike-o posted:

Wanna bet he's trying desperately to shirk national service, too?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

On one hand, don't stop being a terrible and hilarious poster, but on the other, get the gently caress out of the awesome airpower thread.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Huh I feel superior to Russia every time I go on a date with my partner and we don't get beaten half to death by Neo Nazis.

I feel superior to Russia every day I'm still not dead from chronic alcoholism.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Davin Valkri posted:

Hey, I never expressed or saw that sir of sentiment in high school or college! I thought Cippalippus' viewpoint was based on well intentioned but badly thought through pacifism, but where did that come from?!

You dig deep enough and holier-than-thou Europeans readily show their deeply held racism and xenophobia.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Ka loving boom.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hogmartin posted:

On one hand, don't stop being a terrible and hilarious poster, but on the other, get the gently caress out of the awesome airpower thread.

Have a Rafale to calm your nerves:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

You dig deep enough and holier-than-thou Europeans readily show their deeply held racism and xenophobia.

I don't think that one really required any digging :lol:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Cippalippus posted:

Suddenly I understand why you're so sympathetic to Russia. Do you ever long for the good old days when you could pack off pesky minorities in boxcars to Kazakhstan?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Have a Rafale to calm your nerves:

Thanks, buddy, I needed one.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I picked the perfect day to start reading this thread. :munch:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

hogmartin posted:

You're right, debating with Americans isn't very fruitless, albeit it's quite funny. Sorry for the derail.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Cippalippus posted:

You're right, debating with Americans isn't very fruitless, albeit it's quite funny. Sorry for the derail.
Wait before you go what do you think about the F-35.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

lol americans srsly amirite? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Im a smug euro and am very cool qith muslims.