Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I got new tires. Oh. My. God.

I feel like I stole someone's much more rad bike. It wants to corner. It wants it so bad. I barely lean and suddenly I'm deep in a corner.

They're Michelin Pilot Streets. I wanted Roads, but they don't make them in my size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Streets are a great tire for all the smaller-tired bikes out there.

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
I cleaned my carb, which was the first big project (for me) that I decided to tackle with my bike.

I must have done something weird with the throttle cable, though, because now when I turn to the right my engine revs to ~5k. I bring a new definition to the term "power steering"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You probably have it adjusted too tightly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or you routed it weird

Supple Moisture
Sep 11, 2009

TH3 TROLL W1TH NO F34R
Yeah, I didn't give it enough slack. I'm gonna deal with it this weekend when I adjust my valves and drop a socket into my engine or something.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
I've been cleaning, painting and fitting stuff back together to try and get it ready for registration in the next few weeks.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oil + filter change. It was very, very nice to do a simple thirty minute job for once.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FluffyDice posted:

I've been cleaning, painting and fitting stuff back together to try and get it ready for registration in the next few weeks.

You really made this look like a million bucks, well done! Just needs an aftermarket can for maximum F1 soundingness.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I learned something cool about motorcycles today! If, when checking your oil at the gas station, you forget to tighten the oil cap back down, the bike will almost immediately eject it onto the ground because of the crankcase air pumping effect, but you won't necessarily notice that this has happened until a mile down the road when you lean a little harder to the right and dump a quart of oil all over your foot and leg :downsgun:

Then you get to leave the bike in a parking lot as you walk back along the road looking for the cap (found it) and then walk to an auto parts store to buy some replacement oil and then walk back with a fistful of paper towels from the gas station to try and wipe off your tire and rear brake and exhaust and everything else.

The bike is fine, but I ruined a pair of pants, and my right boot is probably going to smell like used motor oil forever now.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 5, 2014

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I replaced the starter in my Zuma today. It started normally about twice, then slowed and then just clicked. Pulled the starter out of its orifice and hit the button: it spins normally. Hmm.

So I pull the transmission cover and start poking around. The starter gear sets don't move at all (the crank spins normally,) so I remove the variation to check the starter clutch. The outboard half spins freely because it's stripped it splines (and made a mess of the corresponding splines on the crank and the inboard half is frozen completely, it's bearings packed with belt dust.

I have lost at Craigslist roulette.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Got the GSXR750 title notarized, if all goes well I will be flying to Seattle soon...

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

The bike is fine, but I ruined a pair of pants, and my right boot is probably going to smell like used motor oil forever now.

That's just the smell of manliness and a hard day's work. Go get yourself a Coors and turn on the game.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FluffyDice posted:

pics

drat, that's clean as gently caress. Nice job!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 posted:

Got the GSXR750 title notarized, if all goes well I will be flying to Seattle soon...

...and it's sold.
Edit: And the bike I sold it for was bought the same day. Ahahaha. :suicide: guess it was time to get out of the sport anyway.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 6, 2014

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Stopped the planned weekend trip early and instead swapped tires on my brothers bike.

His metzler m7s started to really deteriorate, glad we spotted it and went home.

He was happy with his new Pilot Road 4s.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Discovered after chasing a carb issue on my Moto-Guzzi for about 6 years that it's actually an ignition issue. The advance mechanism is working backwards. It's actually retarding the spark until like 4000 rpm. Trying to imagine how that's possible. About to open it up and hopefully find out.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is there a name for "if you think it's ignition, it's the carbs / if you think it's the carbs, it's ignition" ?

If not, there should be.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Trying to imagine how that's possible.

Italians.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Discovered after chasing a carb issue on my Moto-Guzzi for about 6 years that it's actually an ignition issue. The advance mechanism is working backwards. It's actually retarding the spark until like 4000 rpm. Trying to imagine how that's possible. About to open it up and hopefully find out.

Voting PO put something in back to front/wrong way around.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

clutchpuck posted:

Is there a name for "if you think it's ignition, it's the carbs / if you think it's the carbs, it's ignition" ?

If not, there should be.

Italian engineering 101

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Cleaned the chain for the first time on the GS500e. I checked the chain slack and made sure it was all in spec after preparing myself for my first chain adjustment. Found out it didn't need it which is a good thing. It was all incredibly easy for I can follow directions, and have some previous automotive common sense.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Been doing a bit of engine work the last little while. Figured I'd replace the nasty looking exhaust studs and nuts with some new ones.

Hey I got most of the last one out! :v:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Changed the fluid on the front and rear brakes and the clutch. Clutch looked like chocolate milk, rear break like old honey, and front brake like weak iced tea.

I hope this doesn't mean my clutch is failing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Milky oil usually means water got into it somehow. How much do you ride this bike?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Tail light bulb died on my FZ6 when I went out for lunch at work. Fed the bike a new one.

Which reminds me to put my new throttle tube and tail light cover on the DRZ. Want a bike that will destroy a tail light cover through sheer vibration? Get a DRZ.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Put it in a storage unit for two weeks, because my garage is getting renovated and I wasn't allowed to keep it in the garage at work for that long. October in Sweden means pissing rain every day, so it's not like I would be doing much riding anyway.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Milky oil usually means water got into it somehow. How much do you ride this bike?

Between 1 and 20 times per week, minimum 8 miles per trip. The clutch is hydraulic; all I did was swap out DOT4 fluid in all of these, no motor oil was harmed.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Probably means the clutch line hadn't been flushed in a while.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I put the engine shrouds back on the Zuma last night and took it for a test spin around the block. As I was making a left-hander to come back onto my street the back end squirmed from dat 70cc powah. As I pulled back into the driveway I looked down and saw I was leaving a trail of drops.
The (newly re-installed) feed line to the oil injection pump had come off and was dumping my sweet 2-stroke oil on the ground. :negative:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I finally copiedmade an homage to JaketheGardenSnake and did pumpkin handguards. I call it the Boo-Zuki.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I changed my mind at the last minute going up my driveway (all gravel) and ate poo poo at about ~2mph. Broke the drat mirror. Otherwise the bike is fine, though. Note to self: Don't change your mind. Just do whatever you were doing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Lynza posted:

I changed my mind at the last minute going up my driveway (all gravel) and ate poo poo at about ~2mph. Broke the drat mirror. Otherwise the bike is fine, though. Note to self: Don't change your mind. Just do whatever you were doing.

I have safely gotten through so many terrible decisions over the course of my riding career by always committing 100% to whatever I'm doing.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Z3n posted:

I have safely gotten through so many terrible decisions over the course of my riding career by always committing 100% to whatever I'm doing.

Lesson learned: It is possible to lean WAY WAY more than you think you can lean.

Until you can't. Hard parts and/or gravel let you know when you're beyond your limit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Lesson learned: It is possible to lean WAY WAY more than you think you can lean.

Until you can't. Hard parts and/or gravel let you know when you're beyond your limit.

If you stay on the gas, lift your inside foot up, you can drag hard parts and still have more to lean, as long as you dont have solid mounted pegs.

Gravel, just stay on the gas and you'll be fine, try and stand the bike up as much as possible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Stuck the stock exhaust back on the 749 and it made the bike feel rideable. Exhausts really gently caress these bikes up without a tune.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Z3n posted:

If you stay on the gas, lift your inside foot up, you can drag hard parts and still have more to lean, as long as you dont have solid mounted pegs.

Gravel, just stay on the gas and you'll be fine, try and stand the bike up as much as possible.

The worst part is that I regularly go up my driveway in 2nd, come down it in 2nd, no problem. Gravel doesn't bother me. But I thought, "I should check the mail" right as I wa starting up, and that was the end of it. I's the derpiest.

Has anyone had any experience with the turn-signal mirror combos? They're pretty cheap, which makes me think they might be shoddy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Lynza posted:

The worst part is that I regularly go up my driveway in 2nd, come down it in 2nd, no problem. Gravel doesn't bother me. But I thought, "I should check the mail" right as I wa starting up, and that was the end of it. I's the derpiest.

Has anyone had any experience with the turn-signal mirror combos? They're pretty cheap, which makes me think they might be shoddy.

Happens to us all - at least the damage wasn't more serious :)

I'd look for an OEM set, if you can stand the aesthetics - they're pretty decent. The knockoffs are gonna be hit or miss, although Chinese stuff on ebay is getting better, slowly.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Made the last payment. Huzzah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Lynza posted:

I tried them on my SV650 and the quality was really bad. Could barely see the signal during the day and the mirrors were awful and one of them eventually broke itself off from the wind pushing on it.