Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TopherCStone posted:

Just confirming that the iOS Bias app is amazing. That '67 Dumble Clean preset is awesome.

But how long do the electrons survive in an Apple device?

Thanks for all the surf too, I've been going through it over the last couple of days. This is cool as hell

Also Black Taj sounds like my kind of Polvo so cheers for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Not a huge surprise but Mesa finally made a quasi-lunchbox version of the Mark V, but the kicker is they put the cabclone DI/load box in it as well.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Mark_Series/mark-5-25/mark-5-25.html

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
(cross posted from the Effects megathread)

I am looking to trade some of my standalone pedals in for a practical multi-effects unit. I'm in a weird New Music-y "classical" guitar trio, though we have been commissioning tons of pieces for electric guitars lately, so the "classical" moniker is up for debate.

Anyway, the other two guys use Line 6 M9s and love them, and I've been getting by on some piecemeal stuff (in no particular order):

Pigtronix Polysaturator (with a busted LED that I should fix...)
Ernie Ball VP jr volume pedal
iStomp
Jamman Stereo Looper
and a BYOC analog delay that I'm permanently borrowing from a friend

this stuff gets me by for a lot of things, but it lacks a lot of the flexibility of an all-in-one solution. We are often called to change effects quite drastically between movements of pieces, enough that the sheer amount of knob-memorizing is pretty annoying, especially on the Polysaturator.

I also don't need a looper as fancy as the Jamman, since we are only called to do pretty simple looping, which the M9 seems to do fine.

My current all-star in terms of flexibility is the istomp, but it's totally impractical onstage, especially as I can only use my old iPhone 4 for it now.

Tl;DR - what are some decent, cheap-ish multi-effects units that I could get? I want decent effects modeling, pre-sets, a tuner, and a looper.

I'd love to get one that travels well, since we are doing a bunch of touring via airplanes coming up. Something I could slap on a pedal board next to my volume pedal and an expression pedal would be ideal.

Is the M9 still any decent, or is there a new king in that price-range? I'd love to get away with only spending a couple/few hundred bux after selling the Jamman. I wish I could just get an Axe-FX, but $$$$...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I'd go with a Zoom G3/G5.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Tooltip of the day: If you're having issues cutting through the mix, your mic placement is good, your EQ is good, all things considered, you PROBABLY want to dial back the gain a bit. Amazing how just a few notches back thickens your sound and makes you cut like a knife.

(A buddy has had horrible issues with this, I helped him set up his rig recently, moved a bunch of crap off the board into the rack, set up his GCX properly, MIDI all over the place, pretty swank. Showed up at his gig to check on things tonight, he and the band start talking about not hearing him, gave them a listen, chatted the sound guy up to look at his EQ curves, all is good except he's running more distortion than _I_ do in his cover band. Problem resolved.)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

I'd go with a Zoom G3/G5.

Seconding a G3; it's versatile, travels really well, and can be run on batteries. I have a G5 and it's great, but it's not nearly as travel friendly as the G3.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So I'm building up the courage to change strings on my guitar for the first time. Been looking at some videos on youtube and it seems pretty straight forward. Hopefully my guitar won't explode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just don't leave the strings off for days at a time and everything will be fine.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Torabi posted:

So I'm building up the courage to change strings on my guitar for the first time. Been looking at some videos on youtube and it seems pretty straight forward. Hopefully my guitar won't explode.

RIP

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Just don't leave the strings off for days at a time and everything will be fine.

What do you mean by that? Taking the strings off and leaving the guitar or am I being stupid?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Torabi posted:

What do you mean by that? Taking the strings off and leaving the guitar or am I being stupid?

I think days off without strings will cause the neck to straighten out and when you put new strings on it, it takes awhile for it to go back to it's shape with tension.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Torabi posted:

Do you have a floating tremolo? If so, good luck. If not, why would you be worried at all just change those fuckers willy nilly

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Take the old strings off and put the new ones on it's not like you're defusing a bomb. If you get the right ones they're even color coded.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

duckfarts posted:

Do you have a floating tremolo? If so, good luck. If not, why would you be worried at all just change those fuckers willy nilly

No I don't, never was interested in one anyway. I have the Epiphone Les Paul Studio.

But yeah I'm probably making this into a bigger deal than it is. I even have three packs of Strings, one that isn't anything special, which I'm going to try and use first and two packs of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I think days off without strings will cause the neck to straighten out and when you put new strings on it, it takes awhile for it to go back to it's shape with tension.

I had no idea that this was a thing. Good to know.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Implying that Ernie ball strings are anything special. They feel and sound great when fresh but they're the only strings I've ever had develop corroded patches in humid weather. Still you get professionals swearing by them, as long as they're changed regularly.

If you're at all worried about restringing just replace the 6th string, tune to pitch, 1st string, tune to pitch, 5th string, tune to pitch, 2nd string, tune and finally 4th/3rd strings. Unless changing to a different string gauge then you do the 6th and 1st string, remove the rest and setup the guitar with just the outer two strings. Bonus tip, use a soft pencil to lubricate any contact points for the strings. Nut slots and saddles as a minimum as the graphite reduces friction that can contribute to breakages.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Try lots of brands of strings. Everyone has a favorite and I can never tell why some can feel so different from others.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Torabi posted:

But yeah I'm probably making this into a bigger deal than it is. I even have three packs of Strings, one that isn't anything special, which I'm going to try and use first and two packs of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky.

So you have three packs of strings that aren't anything special :v:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Verizian posted:

Record dry guitar signal then reamp through the Axe FX followed by your favourite tube amps. Maybe do this several times with clean, crunch and high gain settings. Keep your favourites and sell the rest. Also how many tube screamers can the Axe FX model simultaneously?

Didn't we try it? I remember seeing like eight modeled in a row.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Bread Dragon posted:

Yeah, I've always wondered if there is anyone who really swears by HSH, or if they just wound up with them because that's what they were selling at Ibanez or wherever. FWIW, I'm that guy who likes an H at the neck and an S at the bridge, '72 Tele style. Seemingly not a very popular configuration.

I rather like it myself.

PS: Try some Trashwomen for a '93 surf/punk thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqHJqIP957o

(Apparently one of them is Kreshawn's mom.)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 4, 2014

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Warcabbit posted:

Didn't we try it? I remember seeing like eight modeled in a row.

I think I got 5 or 6 on my G5, a few people tried Amplitude and Guitar Rig but not seen it done with an Axe FX. They really should rate modelling amps by how many tubescreamers they can fit in one signal chain.

It actually works quite well with three in front of a dual rectifier red channel and a HD reverb. Max volume, set gain to zero and stomp them on/off as required.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Someone suggest some video recorder good for recording live shows. ( sound most important and needs to be relatively compact )

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Price range? A Blackmagic Production 4K is about the price of a high end amp head at just under £2000 and is the best handheld I've heard of. Other than that Zoom makes a few portable recorders specifically for music that are probably much cheaper. A good phone can do 1080p but you're gambling on the sound quality unless it's iOS/Android L with an external mic like the iRIG and I'm not sure how well that works when recording video.

Best solution without spending loads would be to record sound and video on separate devices and paste them together while editing. Just key off loud noises to ensure everything syncs up right. and by loud you want it to clip the mics at the beginning and end of a recording. Then you just line up the high quality audio track with the video's audio track, mute the video then render.

If you want to get complex with 5.1 audio you can mic up each cab and instrument then mix them to create a 3D soundscape but that takes practice to not end up with a muddy mess. Much easier to do with studio tracks.

If you've got bags of money to spare however the best video I've found demonstrating the BM Production is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVvAJhZVBTc

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

Try lots of brands of strings. Everyone has a favorite and I can never tell why some can feel so different from others.

The percentage of homogeneous crystal lattices effecting the hardness and density of the metal. Take a class on materials sciences, bitch.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

The percentage of homogeneous crystal lattices effecting the hardness and density of the metal. Take a class on materials sciences, bitch.

owned by the mensa puta once more

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

owned by the mensa puta once more

You think this is just a joke?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The only jokes in this life are really bad metalcore and guitars that look like things that aren't guitars.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I noticed there is nothing in the OP about using Software to learn, or for classic Acoustic Guitars you can plug an amp into, could someone help me? I'd like to learn the guitar, mostly because I love the way it sounds and it seems fun. Also I want to be THAT douchebag on my college campus who plays sublime, smokes weed, and bitches about the man MAN...

I'm definitely the type to practice at least an hour or two a day if I enjoy it, but I thought using something like GuitarSmith would help me actually learn. Do you guys have recommendations for stuff like that? Or Guitars I could use with that program?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Turtlicious posted:

So I noticed there is nothing in the OP about using Software to learn, or for classic Acoustic Guitars you can plug an amp into, could someone help me? I'd like to learn the guitar, mostly because I love the way it sounds and it seems fun. Also I want to be THAT douchebag on my college campus who plays sublime, smokes weed, and bitches about the man MAN...

I'm definitely the type to practice at least an hour or two a day if I enjoy it, but I thought using something like GuitarSmith would help me actually learn. Do you guys have recommendations for stuff like that? Or Guitars I could use with that program?

I will unrelentingly follow and torture you like an Erinys if you become that guy.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
im on the quad playin pantera

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
Would any of you guys have an opinion about tremolo stabilizers? I bought a Tremel-no years ago, installed it, and gradually realized the thumbscrews it uses to lock and unlock suck. I'm either going to replace it with a stabilizer (if any of those actually work worth a drat) or just block the trem because meh.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
my tremol-no, when i actually used it, seemed fine! there's not really anything else out there that does the same thing anyway, as it's not really in the stabilizer category.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I will unrelentingly follow and torture you like an Erinys if you become that guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_hCqO6UQs

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was joking about "that guy," but I would like to learn on my computer. Any tips?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

I was joking about "that guy," but I would like to learn on my computer. Any tips?

JustinGuitar

Lessons: https://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe (subscribe)
Songs:https://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoeSongs

You'll find the videos sorted nicely in his playlist section: https://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe/playlists

If you've got an Xbox/PS3, find a used copy of Rocksmith 2014 to noodle around on. Also, if you're on campus, surely there's someone else who plays guitar (everybody does :smith:) who can show you a few things or check out how you're doing.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Turtlicious posted:

Rocksmith 2014 and/or GuitarPro 6 if you're serious. Rocksmith is a game for PC/OSX 360/PS3, next gen consoles in November and iOS/Android L sometime in the future. They even released some Sublime DLC recently. Check out RiffRepeater on youtube to see how it's played. Trigger warning for cringing, he has an anime hug pillow in the background of his earlier videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FCSGgitPTw

Guitar Pro is the main tablature editing/playback tool with some nice features like midi playback, multiple format exporting and the GP file format is used by the FretsOnFire editor to help create Custom tracks for Rocksmith.

If you want an acoustic amp that will also work with a guitar or bass should you try either in the future then Peavey has the Vypyr VIP range of modelling combos and the Vypyr Pro has been due "any day now" since January. You can also play rocksmith with an acoustic fitted with a pickup using the game's DRM cable butt some tracks/techniques are much harder due to the higher action and string tension compared to electrics.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

gently caress a bunch of random poo poo on a board, I really, REALLY wish I'd gone this route years ago.

If anyone cares,
EXP from left to right:
Volume -> Time -> Pitch -> Tone
FS-5U from left to right:
Vol up 1db -> Vol down 1db -> scene up -> scene down

All the EXP pedals are motion activated and/or deactivated when appropriate. The volume up and down pedals are global, for quick overall adjustment on the fly. I'm still setting up my scenes (and patches in general), but it's basically scene 1 = normal, 2 = solo, 3 = clean/alt/'bridge' tones, 4 = solo.

I'll do my best to throw some A/B comparisons on tape with my amps v/s the AxeFX, but really, I've already beat it to death, done my best to figure out something to hate about it, and now that I'm well beyond the honeymoon period and have a few gigs and some studio time with it, it really is just THAT loving good.

Now I just have to figure out where the bees are...

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
There's a piece I am playing on my VMJM in which the composer calls for me to tune my high e string down to a D while playing, and as I am practicing it, I'm noticing little clicks at the nut as the string moves down in pitch. I have to tune it down the whole step pretty quickly (over the course of like four 4/4 bars at ~132).

I am imagining this is caused by a small burr or something in the nut groove, and that if I practice this part a bunch (which I need to do), it might snap the string. Or it could do this during a performance, which would be LOVELY.

As a weirdo classical guitarist, I have plenty of good metal files and low-grit sandpaper lying around, but no idea how to smooth out a nut slot properly. Can anyone explain it to a noob well enough for me to try to fix it myself?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

firebad57 posted:

There's a piece I am playing on my VMJM in which the composer calls for me to tune my high e string down to a D while playing, and as I am practicing it, I'm noticing little clicks at the nut as the string moves down in pitch. I have to tune it down the whole step pretty quickly (over the course of like four 4/4 bars at ~132).

I am imagining this is caused by a small burr or something in the nut groove, and that if I practice this part a bunch (which I need to do), it might snap the string. Or it could do this during a performance, which would be LOVELY.

As a weirdo classical guitarist, I have plenty of good metal files and low-grit sandpaper lying around, but no idea how to smooth out a nut slot properly. Can anyone explain it to a noob well enough for me to try to fix it myself?

Try lubricating the groove with some graphite from a pencil before you break out the sand paper.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vague question incoming, is there anything I can do with say, a boss mt-2 or wah mod wise without anything other than an iron? I want to mess around with pedals today but I don't have any components or anything around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Traded a $50 Gator case I picked up forever ago for a proper fitting LP case for my LPJ.

Yay, no more lovely soft gig bag.:dance: