Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

bartlebee posted:

Quick, dumb question since I can never remember which cut is what and beef is on sale this week. Between Boneless Chuck Steaks, Roast Beef Chuck, and Boneless London Broil Beef Round, which would work best for chili. Gonna make a pot this week and try out the GWS chili powder recipe.

Chuck roast. The steaks are just the roast made more expensive and round has far too little fat and connective tissue for stewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Chuck roast. The steaks are just the roast made more expensive and round has far too little fat and connective tissue for stewing.

Thanks. That's what I went with. Looking forward to making this in a couple days.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I'm about to comb through this thread for recipe ideas since we'll be making a giant gently caress-off 8 quart batch of chili this weekend. My big questions currently are: Home made chili powder and various meats.

There's an ethnic store that sells really cheap dried peppers and I want to roast them in a pan and grind them up into chili powder. Can I get suggestions on the specific peppers to use, as well as if there's anything I should keep in mind while I'm toasting and grinding them? We do want some heat, but we don't want it to be the predominate flavor of the chili. Barring that, I have a bunch of semi-generic chili powder that I bought for a batch of bbq spice rub I made this past summer. Would I be ok just lightly toasting that in a pan till it's more aromatic and adding it in?

As far as meat is concerned, I know I definitely want to go with a slab of chuck. I also want to include some pork in there, because I've never tried that pairing in chili before. We're going to be doing this in our slow cooker, so what sort of cut of pork would I want? Also, while I'm sure this is a matter of preference, I'm debating between cubing the meat before searing it, or searing it as one giant slab and letting it break up into its own chunks as it cooks down. Thoughts on that?

EDIT: Oh, also, beer/booze in the recipe. We're going to be getting a bunch of sweet hard cider tomorrow. Thoughts on including that in the recipe? I've never made chili with liquor before, let alone cider. I don't even know if it'd be a good pairing.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I'm about to comb through this thread for recipe ideas since we'll be making a giant gently caress-off 8 quart batch of chili this weekend. My big questions currently are: Home made chili powder and various meats.

There's an ethnic store that sells really cheap dried peppers and I want to roast them in a pan and grind them up into chili powder. Can I get suggestions on the specific peppers to use, as well as if there's anything I should keep in mind while I'm toasting and grinding them? We do want some heat, but we don't want it to be the predominate flavor of the chili. Barring that, I have a bunch of semi-generic chili powder that I bought for a batch of bbq spice rub I made this past summer. Would I be ok just lightly toasting that in a pan till it's more aromatic and adding it in?

I'll try to help you out just from what I've learned from this thread.
Ancho and chipotle for the dried peppers. It won't be hot at all. Can increase the heat later with a can of chipotle in adobo sauce or hot sauce. Heat the peppers until they are aromatic, if they get black they get an acrid taste. Once they are hot and aromatic remove them from the pan or oven and then remove the seeds. I found it easiest with a pair of scissors and running water. I then soak them in hot water for a while and then blend them.

I have no idea about heating pre-ground chili powder. It sounds like you should be able to get some peppers so I wouldn't bother. Fresh toasted and ground cumin makes a big difference though as you prob already know.

neogeo0823 posted:

As far as meat is concerned, I know I definitely want to go with a slab of chuck. I also want to include some pork in there, because I've never tried that pairing in chili before. We're going to be doing this in our slow cooker, so what sort of cut of pork would I want? Also, while I'm sure this is a matter of preference, I'm debating between cubing the meat before searing it, or searing it as one giant slab and letting it break up into its own chunks as it cooks down. Thoughts on that?

EDIT: Oh, also, beer/booze in the recipe. We're going to be getting a bunch of sweet hard cider tomorrow. Thoughts on including that in the recipe? I've never made chili with liquor before, let alone cider. I don't even know if it'd be a good pairing.

Depends what kind of texture you want. A pork shoulder is probably what you are looking for. You definitely want to cube everything or else you will be making a chili flavored roast. My thoughts on booze: i'd skip sweet stuff. Stouts and pale ales have been good to me.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Good advice. As far as texture, I'm extremely used to chili with ground beef, but the few times I've had it with cubed chuck have been great. I'd like to end up with more of a Texas style chili that's chunky, very hearty, and can be eaten by itself as a complete dish.

EDIT: regarding booze, can I get some recommendations for specific brands? I keep hearing malty stouts and porters, but I'm not huge on beer, so I want to make sure I get something worthwhile. I'm also located in western New York, if that makes any difference for selection.

Also, concerning the GWSWiki chili powder recipe, I have large and small versions of a blender and food processor. I'm tempted to use the food processor to grind everything up, but I've never used the blenders for anything other than liquids, so I don't know if they're better than a food processor somehow. Opinions?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 4, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Beef shin works amazing in chili and all stews really. Pick some up if you can

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

neogeo0823 posted:

Good advice. As far as texture, I'm extremely used to chili with ground beef, but the few times I've had it with cubed chuck have been great. I'd like to end up with more of a Texas style chili that's chunky, very hearty, and can be eaten by itself as a complete dish.

EDIT: regarding booze, can I get some recommendations for specific brands? I keep hearing malty stouts and porters, but I'm not huge on beer, so I want to make sure I get something worthwhile. I'm also located in western New York, if that makes any difference for selection.

Also, concerning the GWSWiki chili powder recipe, I have large and small versions of a blender and food processor. I'm tempted to use the food processor to grind everything up, but I've never used the blenders for anything other than liquids, so I don't know if they're better than a food processor somehow. Opinions?

I just moved to Albany but you should be able to find a stout by southern tier or brooklyn brewery, left hand milk stout, or even guiness. For an ale I like bell's two hearted ale. I use a blender because I don't have a food processor, FP will probably go finer which i'd prefer.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A blender will do the chili powder just fine. Personally I am leaning towards the chili paste approach. I like to be as lazy as possible so the less I have to do the better. When I get home I link the recipe I use.

This recipe is great inspiration for chili:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/3...7TL3OBbsw&_r=0&

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The last batch of chili I made, I used beef back ribs, just because that's what was on sale. It actually worked really well, the bones add a lot of flavor and body, but I think next time I'd add some thicker chunks of meat in there also.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love using bone-in short ribs. Sear the ever-living crap out of them, then put the whole thing (bone and all) into your pot. Hours later the bones will pull right off and you'll have a ton of beefy flavor.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Jose posted:

Beef shin works amazing in chili and all stews really. Pick some up if you can

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I love using bone-in short ribs. Sear the ever-living crap out of them, then put the whole thing (bone and all) into your pot. Hours later the bones will pull right off and you'll have a ton of beefy flavor.

Both of these are really good. Shin is just great to toss into anything.

Chorizo and longaniza are always good adds for the person was asking about pork.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Both of these are really good. Shin is just great to toss into anything.

Chorizo and longaniza are always good adds for the person was asking about pork.

Chorizo is good. I put bone-in lamb stew meat in the last batch I made, and it was interesting. You could definitely taste it in there, and it kinda made the beef taste beefier.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Chorizo or just straight up spicy breakfast sausage are both great. Do you guys wipe out the fat that accumulates when you saute the sausage or do you add it to your chili?

Also how many chiles do you guys use in a 5lb batch?

This is going to sound weird, but Alton Brown suggested using Porcini mushrooms in a sauce to enhance the beef flavor. Has anyone tried that for chili?

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 5, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Just toss that fat right in; if it won't incorporate (it will), you can skim it off later, but you get more flavor in the meantime.

Re: mushrooms, more umami is never a bad thing. Do you like the idea of mushrooms in chili? I do, and I like mushrooms in chili, and they're going to pretty much dissolve anyway, so just do it (or grind up some powdered mushrooms and toss that in, then proceed to use it as a condiment on everything you eat).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, I assumed they would be chopped up and basically end up as more small chunks. I also use tomato in my chili (recently two cans of Rotel) and everything gets tossed in the food processor.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chorizo or just straight up spicy breakfast sausage are both great. Do you guys wipe out the fat that accumulates when you saute the sausage or do you add it to your chili?
I use the cheapo chorizo tubes made of lips and salivary glands, cook it all the way down, toss my stew meat in and brown it all up in the red grease, and then add everything else on top of that.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is an amazing idea and I am trying it. I've done shin before but this just sounds like it would be absolutely phenomenal.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Is there any Mexican style chorizo that isn't made of this? I shop at Mi Pueblo and this seems to be all that they carry. Cheap pork or beef or mixed lymph nodes and glands.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LorrdErnie posted:

This is an amazing idea and I am trying it. I've done shin before but this just sounds like it would be absolutely phenomenal.

It is. I got it from these guys: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/01/3...7TL3OBbsw&_r=0&

Seriously, watch the video. It's awesome.

Moe_Rahn posted:

I use the cheapo chorizo tubes made of lips and salivary glands, cook it all the way down, toss my stew meat in and brown it all up in the red grease, and then add everything else on top of that.

Where would I find this?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where would I find this?

Supermarket.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

d3rt posted:

Supermarket.
Exactly. I used to buy them at Wal-Mart for like $1.25.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

If you have a Save A Lot near you, I know they sell that there as well. Honestly, the thought of lymph nodes and salivary glands as the main protein in a sausage was really off putting to me when I saw it. Then again, my choices otherwise are chicken or say chorizo. What are lymph nodes and salivary glands even like to eat?

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

neogeo0823 posted:

If you have a Save A Lot near you, I know they sell that there as well. Honestly, the thought of lymph nodes and salivary glands as the main protein in a sausage was really off putting to me when I saw it. Then again, my choices otherwise are chicken or say chorizo. What are lymph nodes and salivary glands even like to eat?

Honestly, if you didn't know what went into it, they wouldn't be your first guess. To me it just seemed like crumbled meat with spices...

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

It's not any worse than a hot dog. In terms of appearance, smell, and flavor, it's just ground pork or beef.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
but then why do they not list lymph nodes and glands on the ingredients for decent all beef hot dogs?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Do they list specific cuts on any hot dogs?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
i thought it was a regulatory thing, otherwise chorizo wouldn't specify poo poo. this lead me to believe that hotdogs are not glands and lymph nodes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Probably because people would be grossed out at seeing it - that doesn't mean the meat is bad, just that people don't want to see it in their food. Just like heart, or tongue, and those are both delicious.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
Guys, I forgot to toast the chilies.

Guys.

Am I grounded? Is it ruined?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Naw, you'll live. Toasting the chilies gives them a better, more complex flavor, but even raw or dried chilies will still make a perfectly good bowl of chili.

It's just that your next batch will be even better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Gonna smoke some brisket and chuck this weekend, thinking of making a chili from it as well. I wonder if I should add beans? :unsmigghh:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Put beans in everything.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
I got third place in the company chili cookoff, ladies and gentlemen. If only I would have toasted the chilis!

Nah, I lost because this is Wisconsin and people don't like anything remotely spicy and my chili should have sat in the crock pot for anywhere from 6-12 more hours. My chili powder was really boring too, ground up ancho, chipotle, and arbol. It's all I could get together on a short notice. The people who liked it loved it, though. Like, they loved the lack of chili seasoning taste. I'm pretty proud of it.

I'll probably make the recipe one more time to finally perfect it. After that, I'm looking to make a chili that's more sweet than spicy, because my parents can't eat spicy stuff. Any recommendations for the choice of peppers?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Moe_Rahn posted:

Chorizo really varies in quality. I like to buy it freshly made at the Mexican store by my house, but there are a few regular stores that make their own in the meat department, and it's not bad. The worst is the Supremo brand at Walmart. It doesn't have any grease to it and it's ground up really fine.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I erred this weekend and my bowels paid for it. It was a Good Chili but it lit my rear end on fire.

1 can of chipotles in adobo
5 Jalapeños (I need to start de-seeding these guys, seeds ruin the texture)
2 Habaneros
5 tablespoons of arbol and new mexico

All for 2 lbs of chuck and spicy chorizo with no beans.

Also, should I be periodically skimming the top of the chili? I dumped most of the chorizo grease but there was still a thin film of red hot oil whenever I stirred.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 14, 2014

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Did you add any masa flour? That's always helped incorporate the fat/oil in my experience.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I didn't, I'll definitely try it next time and make some tortillas as well.

Lehban
Nov 7, 2010
So I've been known to make a good minced meat bean store bought chilipowder with some bell peppers chili, but reading this thread i realize there's better chili out there waiting to be eaten.

Living in Denmark decent chili is hard to get, but i can get jalapenos fresh, so my plan was to order chipotle in adobo and dried chili from http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/ in bulk, and my question is what chilis would be best for a not too strong chili? Ancho?
I'd preferably order just one or two types in bulk so my budget isn't ruined.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Lehban posted:

So I've been known to make a good minced meat bean store bought chilipowder with some bell peppers chili, but reading this thread i realize there's better chili out there waiting to be eaten.

Living in Denmark decent chili is hard to get, but i can get jalapenos fresh, so my plan was to order chipotle in adobo and dried chili from http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/ in bulk, and my question is what chilis would be best for a not too strong chili? Ancho?
I'd preferably order just one or two types in bulk so my budget isn't ruined.

They've got a lot of the darker varieties, but not a lot of the brighter ones. Looks like no California or New Mexico that I can see. I'd probably go Ancho and Guajillo if you are only aiming for two. You are definitely going to want to go the paste route because of the guajillo skins (rehydrate in hot beef broth for 15 minutes, then liquefy in blender).

Should give you a good balance though, and the chipotle will be perfect with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How many chiles and what varieties do you guys use for a 5 pound batch? And do you deseed them?

Also how much masa flour? I have never heard of using that.