Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Reminder: every now and then you should fly a few rounds in an American plane with your convergence set to 150-200m and don't fire until you're at convergence because it's funny to see an entire plane disintegrate pretty much instantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Friend of mine worked at one of those companies and it's pretty neat seeing how the projects come together
http://www.creativebloq.com/3d/secrets-behind-explosive-world-warplanes-trailer-11410360

With the added bonus that you get to see the pre-viz animation with stuff like He-111 bombers dogfighting a Spitfire/Mustang hybrid in a lowtexture canyon :v:
http://gfycat.com/FrailAngryFanworms

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Fart Car '97 posted:

Reminder: every now and then you should fly a few rounds in an American plane with your convergence set to 150-200m and don't fire until you're at convergence because it's funny to see an entire plane disintegrate pretty much instantly

Barbarian class.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Fart Car '97 posted:

You could get the same experience while flying a Yak-9k :D.

EDIT
Annoyed by Beercans fighting your T4 planes in :godwinning: land? Just fly with a friend and bring 109F4s. They totally outmaneuver Beercans. It's hilarious. And fun!

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 4, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Fart Car '97 posted:

convergence set to 150-200m and don't fire until you're at convergence because it's funny to see an entire plane disintegrate pretty much instantly

This also applies to basically every plane that has cannons in Sim battles. It's likely that like 90% of critical hits for all players happens in this range or closer.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Are the Soviet Aircobra cannons different from the American ones? It feels like they fly a bit flatter and hit a little harder. I'm popping planes left and right with my Soviet cobras.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Difference is that russians are smart, so the belts contains HE as opposed to AP which is arguably worse in a 37mm shell. Unless you shoot tanks.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Are the Soviet Aircobra cannons different from the American ones? It feels like they fly a bit flatter and hit a little harder. I'm popping planes left and right with my Soviet cobras.

Are you sure you aren't using the AP ammo on the American cannons? Because Soviets have exact same cannons but only get to load them with HE.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Gotta say, that's one of my most favorite game trailers now after watching it for the nth time.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Man, I wish the Hitler Youth didn't all come on the US server at the same time all the idiots flood the Allied teams.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I didn't get poo poo for my lottery tickets. Gaijin is bullshit.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Uhhhh the La deployed his combat flaps, sorry you're too scrub tier to recognize these elite dogfighting tactics.

Kidding aside I thought that was a really neat detail, because that's exactly what you'd do in that situation. :)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This free plane challenge owns, because it ensures that I play like a suicidal psychopath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALvxuT1iS50

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
I have seen things. Things a person shouldn't see after shooting down 218 planes in Arcade. On the bright side, some massive tree progress since I strategically buy one day premiums when I binge Thunder. Tier 3 3.7BR Russia is best though.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I have come to hate fire because it's total uncertain whether it's the nice kind of fire that tickles your plane gently while giggling or the horrible plane-devourer that picks you apart embarrassingly.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

This was a good use of my time.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

This was a good use of my time.

I gave up at 240. I have other things I want to do during my weekend. :negative:

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Fart Car '97 posted:

I always have trouble getting in close. Bombers are alright because slow but everything else always rests around 400m. On the rare occasions I'm up close and on someone's tail, I'm usually going twice their speed and overtake in seconds.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Just when you think it's stopped happening you get 1 shot by AAA.

Also I'd hoped taking a break for a few weeks would mean they would release 1.43 in the mean time, guess not.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I had a single AAA shot set both of my Me 410's engines on fire on Spain. :saddowns:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

If you still want to farm some kills, the current Pearl Harbor even is brilliant for that. Hop into your Zero and have fun with a near inexhaustible supply of P-40s eager to turnfight you on the deck.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I've been seeing in this current minipatch on several occasions I'll hit a bomber in the tail with a derp gun (37mm HEFI out of P39s and Yak9Ts mostly) and both his wings will fly off, while the tail stays on. I'm not particularly complaining since it is totally giving me the kill, but it's weird to watch a bigass shell hit something in the tail, thus causing both wings to fall off. I've seen it on B25s and Wellingtons for sure, and at least once I know it awarded me a tail critical and the kill and I'm watching the model "die" and the tail's still attached but both wings came off.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Less than five kills from the 521, and a transformer blows and knocks out the internet. Welp....

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

Less than five kills from the 521, and a transformer blows and knocks out the internet. Welp....

Phone tethering?

e: was sufficient as a temporary necessity in :japan:, not sure how providers around you are

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Playing nothing but the Yak 9T/K and Cobras made me appreciate just how hosed the code is. Sometimes I'd hit people and splash them on the first shot, and sometimes I'd hit people four or five times, see the damned explosions on their plane, and not even get credit for the hits. It was somewhat infuriating.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I hate RB. I try very hard to like it and do alright, it just doesn't happen. I played an rear end load of the Iwo Jima event yesterday and it was a horrible experience every time. God forbid I even make a pass at a B-24, he will just gunner snipe me from 1km as im burning away and set me on fire immediately. This leaves me plenty of time ponder my experiences while my plane slowly melts away as I attempt to make it to the runway. I normally don't make it.

Or I'll try to patiently wait for the perfect target. I make sure he is alone, so I can dive down from the heavens above and own his rear end. Well as soon as I do that magically my allies are no where to be found and he has 3 friends who were invisible until they were less than 2km away. You can guess how this ends.

I am not getting any better at this either. It's the same story it was a month ago. ABLOOO BLOOOO

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

-Events are usually terrible one-sided bullshit.

-Mumble is the only thing that makes flying RB not frustrating, because you have people to chat with and you win most of the time because Teamwork OP.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Oh hey, not played this in over two and a half weeks while I've been away, I wonder if the pubbies have gotten any better?

No, no they have not.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I did discover how hard Japan is being hosed over this weekend. I finally started tiering other nations. As someone who got 3 Tier IV planes in Japan before getting a single plane in any other nation all I can say is wow, just wow. In my first match (arcade) with the LAGG-3-8 I got 5 kills and 3 assists. Which is my best game ever, honestly. The F2A-3 is a monster for a tier I plane. It can almost out turn a A5M and does a hell of a lot more damage. I couldn't believe how easy planes die when you shoot them. I had no idea how bad the Japanese guns were until I checked for myself. I felt like I was cheating.

The only plane Japanese plane I have a positive ratio with is the N1KJ and that's because I just bought it. It's guns do actually feel like they shoot more than marshmallows, so that's nice. I have to make a decision now as which jet I go for. Is the Sabre or Sushi the prefered jet? I would like to get one now before 1.43 adds a bunch of planes in between.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I think the Sushi gets into more interesting fights (lower Jets, high end props). On the downside are the 4 minutes of fuel. And now and then ending up on Korea.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jet gameplay in general isn't very fun. Go with the Pizza Slice because gimmicks are fun

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Phone tethering?

Good call. I now have my frogplane. Also I had no idea I'd get a ping of like 200 using my phone. Cool.

Also I fired up Arcade for the first time in months to get my handful of kills, and I had forgotten how much of a hilarious clusterfuck single-airfield domination maps are and how hilarious it is to just turnfight everyone with an IL-2 with rockets.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 5, 2014

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Felony posted:

I did discover how hard Japan is being hosed over this weekend. I finally started tiering other nations. As someone who got 3 Tier IV planes in Japan before getting a single plane in any other nation all I can say is wow, just wow. In my first match (arcade) with the LAGG-3-8 I got 5 kills and 3 assists. Which is my best game ever, honestly. The F2A-3 is a monster for a tier I plane. It can almost out turn a A5M and does a hell of a lot more damage. I couldn't believe how easy planes die when you shoot them. I had no idea how bad the Japanese guns were until I checked for myself. I felt like I was cheating.

The only plane Japanese plane I have a positive ratio with is the N1KJ and that's because I just bought it. It's guns do actually feel like they shoot more than marshmallows, so that's nice. I have to make a decision now as which jet I go for. Is the Sabre or Sushi the prefered jet? I would like to get one now before 1.43 adds a bunch of planes in between.

Jets are loads of fun. It's refreshingly different from props.

The Sabre is a Real Jet you can have Real Jet times with, the sushi slice is a rocket plane you can have troll times with.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I love flying the sushi, but I hate landing it.

1.43 cannot come quick enough.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Whew, managed to grind the kills to get that DeWotine in time. Arcade is so wonderful during these events, I think the best I got was 18 kills in a match, several times.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Felony posted:

If you fancy something a bit different it might be worth trying out the Bf 109 E1. Its somewhat undergunned (but at least has plenty of ammo) but once fully upgraded and with discipline you are practically untouchable at your battlerating. Its also a good way to learn to energy fight and might be a nice change of pace from Japanese turn fighting, and would also be a good lead into (in my opinion at least) the best of the 109s, the F4.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Felony posted:

:japan: loving owns, but honestly it doesn't shine in Arcade mode, because the main thing that makes it awesome is that they fly beautifully and in Arcade, things all fly a bit samey and so unless you're flying a total bus, big guns reign supreme in arcade.

Edit:

On the other hand, in Arcade, you can dive for days without breaking your wings, so that helps Japan get faster

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 5, 2014

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
I'm really amazed by the arcade damage model at the moment, it seems like everything lights on fire in one or two bullets and then the fire does nearly nothing. Meanwhile US and Russian .50 cals are the only weapons that function in ways besides lighting fires. I managed a 20 kill game getting the d.521 by just confidently head onning every non-american plane in a slightly threatening position. After about 10 I had light engine damage. One .50 cal is better than a 20mm cannon at the moment.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's like that in RB, too. Things light on fire comically easy, but it means pretty much nothing unless you start getting repeat crits. Fuel leaks looking the same as smoke trails now only makes things worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Adrian Owlsley posted:

I'm really amazed by the arcade damage model at the moment, it seems like everything lights on fire in one or two bullets and then the fire does nearly nothing. Meanwhile US and Russian .50 cals are the only weapons that function in ways besides lighting fires. I managed a 20 kill game getting the d.521 by just confidently head onning every non-american plane in a slightly threatening position. After about 10 I had light engine damage. One .50 cal is better than a 20mm cannon at the moment.

k.

Meanwhile, to finish off the 521 challenge, I got 10 kills in 6 minutes or so and topped the arcade scoreboard flying in planes armed with Russian 20mm and 23mm, and they both got me kills faster than the Russian P-40 with six fifties.

What I'm saying is that if you think every gun except .50 is broken, you're either nuts or have some weird virus invented by people whose sole goal is to troll WT players/posters.

• Locked thread