Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
He got a free meal in exchange. Is management aware of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Back with legacy fastpasses, we used to have tour guides who would come super early with the entire groups tickets and try and get the whole group fastpasses before they even entered the parks. Trouble is that the tickets don't work to get fastpasses unless they've entered the parks. One of two things happened: either they yelled at us to give them fastpasses (we didn't) or they would get invalid fastpass tickets and try and use them later (which didn't work out well for them).

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

demonR6 posted:

He got a free meal in exchange. Is management aware of it?

Yeah. One of my coordinators got his information and informed him that if he doesn't stop, he'll be barred from the park. So he stopped. for that day only.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yeah. One of my coordinators got his information and informed him that if he doesn't stop, he'll be barred from the park. So he stopped. for that day only.

PM'ed you.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

PM'ed you.

I did not receive it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
great SA is boned.. it's in my sent items too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

great SA is boned.. it's in my sent items too.

Got it. Replied.

In other news: The new Haunted Mansion shop is in soft openings, and by golly, I like it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I have the opportunity to go to DL for it's anniversary next year. Go or do not go? Because I bet it's going to be insane.

But I love DL and it feels so snug and homey.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I have the opportunity to go to DL for it's anniversary next year. Go or do not go? Because I bet it's going to be insane.

But I love DL and it feels so snug and homey.

I went for the 50th and it was great. Yeah there were a lot of people, but it was also a TON of fun. Plus free cupcakes, so that was awesome.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

In other news: The new Haunted Mansion shop is in soft openings, and by golly, I like it.

Really looking forward to seeing this next week!

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Is there any kind of regular schedule for when it's open? I'll be there the week before Thanksgiving and really would love to see it.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Paul Allen posted:

Is there any kind of regular schedule for when it's open? I'll be there the week before Thanksgiving and really would love to see it.

Pretty sure it officially opens next week, so you should be fine.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian tour groups are terrible because for the most part they are operated by terrible, unethical people.

Because of location and Disney's heavy investnebt in the Brazilian market, WDW has always been sort of a status symbol in Brazil. So much so that upper middle class kids will just assume other middle class kids have gone to WDW before.

As a result, everywhere from ESL schools to shady tour agencies organize these groups, and to make them affordable they cut every possible corner. So they will have 2 or 3 "guides" in their twenties taking care of 80+ teenagers (it is specially common to go to disney on your 15th birthday in Brazil), and they will stay in incredibly cheap hotels, funnel these people into the stores that pay them commission. A daughter of a friend went on one of these and her group stayed at a hotel that was literally under construction. It was a place that if I had tried to book from here in the US I would get a message saying that they were closed for renovations.

Before I moved to the US for grad school, I taught ESL in Brazil while in college, and I was even invited to be a guide in one of these tour groups. I was 18 years old, and would have been one of 3 people responsible for a group of about 40. Pay would have been something like a $100 shopping credit plus expenses.

Every once in a while you'll read a case of some teenager dying in one of these trips. A couple of years ago a teenage girl died of pneumonia. She developed pneumonia early on the trip, none of the "chaperones" ever thought of taking her to a hospital, and she pretty much drowned to death on the plane on the way back (and it was a long trip back because in the interest of being cheap it was a flight that had a few stops in Central America).

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Lincoln posted:

It was a very minor thing, but maybe, just maybe I planted a seed...like letting the independent Borg back on the cube to slowly infect and destroy the rest of the collective, that one kid told his friends later, "Hey, maybe we shouldn't be cutting in line on every single ride like a bunch of assholes...it's clearly not the Americans' custom, so let's respect their social rules."

Hahaha NO. Like all inconsiderate people, he believes that you were a bully who was preventing him from doing this one harmless thing for no other reason than because you're a control freak. If you did change his behavior for the better, it's because he wants to avoid trouble, not because he understands how unfair line-cutting is.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pththya-lyi posted:

Hahaha NO. Like all inconsiderate people, he believes that you were a bully who was preventing him from doing this one harmless thing for no other reason than because you're a control freak. If you did change his behavior for the better, it's because he wants to avoid trouble, not because he understands how unfair line-cutting is.

I have two words... taser.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
what's...I...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pththya-lyi posted:

Yeah, I guarantee the kid thought "Jesus what was that assholes problem?" and then thought nothing else of it. Inconsiderate people are not self aware.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So last night I was pulled from rotation for a bit to help with clearing the park for the Halloween party. I enjoy Area Clear, so I was all for it. I got sent up to the smoking area behind Cinderella Castle, and there I had to stop a man from letting his son pee on the castle. He was aiming his son and preparing to lower his pants. Whoo boy.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It is perfectly acceptable to take off your name badge and punch the father in the back of the head them while he's knocked out.. have his son pee on him.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
This thread has suddenly developed quite a vigilante streak.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Delivering the magic!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

A disney-circa paramedic waves a flashlight in front of that poor man's eyes and asks, "Do you remember the way it used to feel when you believed in make-believe and fairy tales were real?"

That dad just frowns and sighs "I don't remember what I had for lunch right now" while rubbing the goose egg on the back of his head.

The paramedic later gets a thumbs up for staying in character.

E: The dad gets a "I'm Celebrating" pin with "my concussion" on it.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 5, 2014

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Revenge fantasies are just part of the cast member Experience. When you're not allowed to Not Smile at the guests you have to take out your frustrations in other ways.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
"Buh bye! Enjoy the ride! Remember the best experience is when you throw your arms up in the air and stand up!" - Space Mountain CM

El Capo
Dec 1, 2012

Desde Colombia

So last night I was pulled from rotation for a bit to help with clearing the park for the Halloween party. I enjoy Area Clear, so I was all for it. I got sent up to the smoking area behind Cinderella Castle, and there I had to stop a man from letting his son pee on the castle. He was aiming his son and preparing to lower his pants. Whoo boy.

People are just not right anymore. Who the heck does that?!?!?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

El Capo posted:

In the Studios, I witnessed a family decide to go ahead and change their baby's loaded diaper right in the middle of the crowd while we were all waiting for a parade to start.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

El Capo posted:

Oh the horror stories those of us who had/have the pleasure to work at the theme parks can share.

We just got back from an afternoon at Food & Wine. Sitting and enjoying done food from one of the stops and the couple next to finishes up their food. The guy throws the plates along with plastic utensils and napkins right on the ground. There's a trash receptacle not two feet away in plain view too. My wife sees it and comments out loud that there is a garbage can and something about people live in barns. The couple laughs and walks off. WTF?!

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I'm off in 30 and heading to Epcot for one last ride back, back, over the falls. :(

I witnessed a kid pee into bushes waiting in line for the candlelight professional one year. Also, I had a friend who was an MK custodian and it turns out people poo poo on the sidewalks in Frontierland more often than you'd think.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Rahonavis posted:

In the Studios, I witnessed a family decide to go ahead and change their baby's loaded diaper right in the middle of the crowd while we were all waiting for a parade to start.

Saw this happen a couple of years ago in the queue for Soarin'. Family was non-English-speaking eastern European, so who knows about the cultural differences, etc.

demonR6 posted:

Oh the horror stories those of us who have had the pleasure to work at the theme parks can share.

Sounds like a pretty good idea for its own Ask/Tell thread, actually. How many CMs/former CMs do we have in this thread now? At least 4 or 5. C'mon guys.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

What is the actual height clearance on Space Mountain? I'm a short guy and I still scrunch down in my seat....

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crazyweasel posted:

What is the actual height clearance on Space Mountain? I'm a short guy and I still scrunch down in my seat....
You can put your arms straight up for the entire ride and you won't touch anything.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Tunga posted:

You can put your arms straight up for the entire ride and you won't touch anything.

Uh, that's not quite true. You can brush the tip of your fingers if you are tall enough. I know someone who did it and they instantly regretted it. No real harm done, but they got a good scare

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's all fun and games until you exit the ride with stumps..

Lincoln posted:

Sounds like a pretty good idea for its own Ask/Tell thread, actually. How many CMs/former CMs do we have in this thread now? At least 4 or 5. C'mon guys.

We caught a couple who climbed up over the gate outside of the 50's Prime Time Cafe, I worked next door at the Tune Inn Lounge as a bartender. it was New Year's Eve and they had been drinking then thought it would be fun to have sex up on the second floor of the facade. Needless to say grandma would not have been happy.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 6, 2014

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

So this is apparently what replaced Off Kilter?

http://youtu.be/DP5Xl4iO-lc

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There is a reason why we walked by the show and booed loudly along the way.

Aethersphere
Mar 21, 2009

you see me rollin up pops you step aside

Fish Of Doom posted:

I've never been offended at anything portraying my nation before. Normally I'm just pleased somebody noticed we're up here. This is a new experience for me. To be fair, we do literally have Lumberjack Games televised once or twice a year, but that usually involves high speeds and the risk of grievous bodily injury. This is dreadful.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fish Of Doom posted:

O-Off Kilter? Gone? :ohdear:

E: I remember seeing their show about a decade ago. It was Christmastime and they actually played a recording of Cartman's rendition of "O Holy Night" from South Park before their stage show. The only thing that's even slightly "inappropriate" about that song is that it points out how most people focus on the secular, indulgent parts of Christmas and not on the religious elements, but it was surprising to hear something from South Park in Disney World, of all places. I imagine the band had to fight management fairly hard to get that song played in the park. Hats off to them for being so ballsy!

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 6, 2014

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Tunga posted:

We talked about this earlier in the thread. Most people can't outreach the vertical clearance but the horizontal clearance is another matter entirely. You can easily tag a dozen steel girders to your sides if you ride with the lights on, though I don't recommend it. The closest ones have pool noodles wrapped around them and the ride doesn't actually go very fast during most of it, but you could still hurt yourself.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Nathilus posted:

We talked about this earlier in the thread. Most people can't outreach the vertical clearance but the horizontal clearance is another matter entirely. You can easily tag a dozen steel girders to your sides if you ride with the lights on, though I don't recommend it. The closest ones have pool noodles wrapped around them and the ride doesn't actually go very fast during most of it, but you could still hurt yourself.

The dark really gives that ride an extra kick. It feels fast as hell (not to mention bumpy as hell) but I know it's not as fast as other coasters, even at Magic Kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have a concept for a new frozen shirt, I just need an artist.