Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Golluk posted:

I saw a recommendation for osd a few pages back, but it seemed to be more suited for a quad.

Any recommendations on a system that shows:
voltage
ground speed
altitude
mah (current sensor)
direction to home
ideally a virtual horizon, but not required.

Under 100 would be nice, but I'd think 150 should get me something decent.

Edit: the remzibi one looks fairly nice. It seems like I'd have to add a current sensor and program it.
https://sites.google.com/site/remzibiosd/

You'll want the minimOSD and a ublok GPS.

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/minimosd-kv-team-mod-v1.html
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/mini-ublox-6m-gps-w-35x35mm-mounting-backplane-and-compass.html

You should be comfortable soldering and making cables, etc.

However, I do recommend that you learn to fly LOS before venturing into FPV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

For the Phantom 2 people here, is there anyway to have the camera to include flight info in the recording? The same stuff on the bottom of the DJI app screen would be perfect.
e: I think the answer is "no" but thought I'd ask just in case there is something hidden in the pc app.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 30, 2014

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Why? If the FPV fails you're probably going to crash before you can get the goggles off or look up from a display and see where the aircraft is and orient yourself to it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

dev null posted:

Why? If the FPV fails you're probably going to crash before you can get the goggles off or look up from a display and see where the aircraft is and orient yourself to it.

Because you should be able to control your plane safely with or without FPV.
(edit)
Ok, if you in the middle of nowhere, sure do whatever you want...but anywhere near people or buildings, you need to be able to control the plane. FPV planes quickly get heavy enough to hurt people.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 30, 2014

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Fair enough points. As you say, a volt meter and timer is really the most important. Speed and altitude stuff is more for fun.

What does look handy, is the rth function some have, mostly for if I accidentally fly out of radio range.

The radio firmware I'm using actually has a nice timer feature where it's count speed is based on throttle position. So if your aggressive, it counts fast. A slow gentle flight counts slower. I find it fairly accurate on my helicopters. And it will beep at you ata set time left.

This stuff is still weeks away from arriving, I'll be continueing to practice flying Los in the meantime. I can get it up into the air easily now, and my approaches for landing are getting better rapidly. It is tempting to put navigation lights on so I have half a chance to tell when it's flying towards our away at a distance.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 30, 2014

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

You'll want the minimOSD and a ublok GPS.

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/minimosd-kv-team-mod-v1.html
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/mini-ublox-6m-gps-w-35x35mm-mounting-backplane-and-compass.html

You should be comfortable soldering and making cables, etc.

Price looks good. I'll have a closer look at it. I looked at it briefly but it seemed to rely on a quads flight controller.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've been able to get a lot of flight time in with my Calypso, and I'm now confident enough to get started into the world of FPV setups. Rather than strapping starter gear on my existing glider, I want to build a dedicated FPV rig from the ground up.

So far the RVJet and Ritewing Z3 have caught my eye, mainly due to all the praise I've heard for them as well as the wealth of information on them that's out there. I'm leaning towards the RVJet due to the 2014 model preorder discount they've got going on right now, but I'll admit that I'm not terribly well versed in the differences between the two models; my research has mainly consisted of Flite Test Youtube videos and some light reading on FPVLabs. I'm just looking for something that's relaxing to fly in for 30-45 minutes or so, and is really simple to build and work in. Room to grow on future FPV endeavors would also be a plus. One of my goals is to get a nice aerial view of the town I grew up in (25km^2), so something that can handle that would be awesome. Any thoughts on those two options, or any other airframes I should be looking at?

I was also considering the Crash Test Hobbies Gladiator XL, since I was really impressed with the durability of the CTH Assassin I was able to check out this past weekend. One thing that makes me wary about it, however, is having to cut out the equipment slots on my own; I've never built a flying wing before, so I'm almost certain that I'll end up messing up the CG in some way.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Golluk posted:

Price looks good. I'll have a closer look at it. I looked at it briefly but it seemed to rely on a quads flight controller.

Ah yeah, you'll need a controller. I'm currently setting up a Acro Naze. Retails from various places, but here's the main page:
http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=38&zenid=osl6do7kl44qd2klv99jrq2f60
I got mine from here (Canadian store)
http://rotorgeeks.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=acro&product_id=70

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Ah yeah, you'll need a controller. I'm currently setting up a Acro Naze. Retails from various places, but here's the main page:
http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=38&zenid=osl6do7kl44qd2klv99jrq2f60
I got mine from here (Canadian store)
http://rotorgeeks.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=acro&product_id=70

Looks like I'd be making the 3 boards into a cube then. Bit more work but nothing intimidating, and total cost of 65 plus shipping.

Hmm, they have an Afromini that seems aimed for fixed wing aircraft. Of course now I'm not sure if the receiver I use will work. I have the OrangeRX RX3S. Hopefully I just feed those into the Naze, and then from the Naze to the servos. Turning off one of the stabilizers of course. Edit: Looks like the Afromini only supports receivers with ppm out. Naze/acro should work fine though.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 1, 2014

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Anyone wanna #fpv irc?

irc.synirc.org

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygTPMumtLAw

ease fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 1, 2014

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Golluk posted:

This stuff is still weeks away from arriving, I'll be continueing to practice flying Los in the meantime. I can get it up into the air easily now, and my approaches for landing are getting better rapidly. It is tempting to put navigation lights on so I have half a chance to tell when it's flying towards our away at a distance.

You can do a really simple test to figure out if it's going towards or away:

Turn left (whatever preferred method, rudder or aileron), if it goes left you are heading away and can continue your turn to head back. If it goes right, you were heading towards yourself, stop turning and continue on the path you were before.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

subx posted:

You can do a really simple test to figure out if it's going towards or away:

Turn left (whatever preferred method, rudder or aileron), if it goes left you are heading away and can continue your turn to head back. If it goes right, you were heading towards yourself, stop turning and continue on the path you were before.

Makes sense. Just need to train myself on performing it. Learning to point the sticks towards danger when flying towards myself has saved my plane and helicopters many times.

The Acro Naze32 --> MinimOSD KV Team mod looks like a nice set. Putting in orders for the materials now. At the very least it will be fun to figure out the assembly.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

slidebite posted:

For the Phantom 2 people here, is there anyway to have the camera to include flight info in the recording? The same stuff on the bottom of the DJI app screen would be perfect.
e: I think the answer is "no" but thought I'd ask just in case there is something hidden in the pc app.

I've never seen it captured.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's what I thought, thanks.

Anyone have any experience with the small little flyzone flyers? Something like this:

http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=FLZA2042

Looks like a fun little airplane.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I really need to get business cards made with
"It's a drone, about $3,000, about a half mile, about fifteen minutes, no"

to easily answer "What is it, how much does it cost, how far does it fly, how long does it fly, can I fly it"

Also: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/my-neighbor-blasted-my-drone-with-a-shotgun . In the words of my friend who shared this story, "Crazy assholes"

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 2, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex-core-2/manual/

I've seen people use that and sync the info in post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5YgSMaZJE8

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

I really need to get business cards made with
"It's a drone, about $3,000, about a half mile, about fifteen minutes, no"

to easily answer "What is it, how much does it cost, how far does it fly, how long does it fly, can I fly it"

Your drone cost $3,000? Not that I doubt you, but what has gone into it that costs that much?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Erwin posted:

Your drone cost $3,000? Not that I doubt you, but what has gone into it that costs that much?

blood of the unborn

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

blood of the unborn

Why pay when you can just dumpster dive your nearest abortion clinic.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

slidebite posted:

Depending on the device that you are using there are different 'DVR' apps you can use that will video record what is going on with the screen. Start up the DVR app and then open your vision app and go nuts. For iOS I believe 'iRec' is the one to get. No idea for android OS.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Erwin posted:

drone around 1,300ish, insurance a solid 1k and several hundred in stuff like batteries, case, cards, etc.

seriously considering stepping up to an S1000 which, ready-to-fly is around 11k

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

You paid $1,000 to insure a $1,300 item?

edit: oh you're probably insured against damaging property or something?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Erwin posted:

You paid $1,000 to insure a $1,300 item?

edit: oh you're probably insured against damaging property or something?

Yeah lots of liability. I'm insured enough that if I crash the drone into a house and the battery ruptures and sets fire to the house and kills everyone else inside I'm good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks man! I'll check into it :)

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Erwin posted:

Even with a relatively inexpensive quadcopter, the add-ons asymptotically reach infinity dollars. Taranis radio, then an LRS system, then FPV goggles, then a gimbal + gopro, and so on. You can spend as much time and money as you have a stomach for, although what's cool is that you can still have tons of fun with a $20 hubsan quad.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This is probably gonna be a really dumb question, but as someone who mostly only lurks the RC threads, I didn't want to just come in here and poo poo things up: I just attended a local club's airshow over the weekend and was wondering if any of you guys would be interested in seeing shots from the event. It was my first experience ever with RC planes of any type, so all of these planes were new to me, but there were some seriously cool aircraft there. Lots of 3D stunt planes, plus the owner of Redwing RC was there with his team and his new prototype MXS-Bach. It was mostly 2 stroke stuff, though there were a couple nitro rigs and a few electric. Anyways, I just thought I'd ask before dumping a bunch of random images you guys may not even care about :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Never hurts, let's see em!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Alright, i'll go ahead and post a few thumbs and link you guys the entire album. I took something like 700 photos, but I narrowed it down a lot to about 90 that were really good.

The rest of the album, for anyone who's interested. It's a bit hard to tell, but in a lot of those pictures where the planes are vertical, they were pretty much hovering in one spot, just pointing straight up. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen :v:

vvv Thanks! It was my first attempt at anything like this, I learned they are really hard to track with a telephoto.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 6, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Cool. Thanks for the pics :) Your photo skills are really good.

A buddy of mine is a pilot and he asked if I could take some action shots with the Phantom of him in his airplane which he built.

I was more than a little leery of this since flying anywhere remotely near full size airplanes = really, really bad, but since his small airstrip is completely 100% private with 0 air traffic, I did it with him today. Think of a farmers field with a grass strip and you're thinking close to what we had.

It was actually quite straight forward and amounted to me keeping the Phantom in a hover at about 50' and just rotated to keep him in frame. Most turned out quite well but the biggest challenge was keeping him in frame because of my 4.5" phone screen. If I ever try this again I am bringing the big Galaxy 12.2 to help with that.

I let him fly the phantom, figured it was the least I could do since he did let me fly his plane before. Since it was an airstrip there was no power poles or building really to even hit, acres and acres of wide open field with 0 wind so it was really the absolutely ideal place to fly.

He was pretty good and asked to try landing which I let him since he seemed pretty comfortable. Lets say he wasn't as good landing it as flying since it ended upside down :saddowns:

No damage though so it's all good.

Here is just a still I took from in between taking vids

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 6, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Out of curiosity, how hard are drones to fly for someone who has never flown a proper RC aircraft before? I've had mini coax helicopters, and they were pretty fun and simple, but I don't know how much more complex a drone would be. I ask because I've been looking at this cheap model as something to play around and record aerial footage with. I know that it's probably just a goofy toy, in all respects, but I think it'd be something fun to have to tide me over until I can get wealthy enough to afford a proper Octo setup that could lift my T2i. I'm not expecting to do any jawdroppingly amazing movies, just curious if it'd be worth picking up something cheap and fun to mess around with.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's $55 and the reviews seem pretty positive, I say go for it.
e: You might want to watch this guys vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxRjUH-9pU8

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 6, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

slidebite posted:

It's $55 and the reviews seem pretty positive, I say go for it.
e: You might want to watch this guys vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxRjUH-9pU8

Awesome, i'm gonna check that out! It's currently a tossup between that X5C, or going a bit more spendy and getting this, which seems to have a much better camera. I think i'm gonna start lurking this thread a bit more, because I really do want to get into drones, and your post above is convincing me it's totally worth it. Plus, I think I've convinced my dad to pick up a quadcopter as well, since he used to fly helis and he's been interested in getting back into the hobby :v:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

T1g4h posted:

Out of curiosity, how hard are drones to fly for someone who has never flown a proper RC aircraft before? I've had mini coax helicopters, and they were pretty fun and simple, but I don't know how much more complex a drone would be. I ask because I've been looking at this cheap model as something to play around and record aerial footage with. I know that it's probably just a goofy toy, in all respects, but I think it'd be something fun to have to tide me over until I can get wealthy enough to afford a proper Octo setup that could lift my T2i. I'm not expecting to do any jawdroppingly amazing movies, just curious if it'd be worth picking up something cheap and fun to mess around with.

Quadcopters are very similar to coaxial copters in the way the fly. If you can take off and land one of those you should be fine. You can even get ones with a return-to-home button that will land right where they took off whenever you push it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Flew my quad for the first time today, after a long string of delays. Even with the factory default flight controller stabilization settings, it was reasonably stable, and the only thing that kept me from continuing for more than a few minutes was the fading light.

Question though, how are most people mounting their battery packs? My batteries came with a flimsy Velcro strap which is just about enough to mostly keep it from departing the airframe, but it makes me nervous as hell, even with two straps. Is friction from the strap really all people are depending on to prevent a crash?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Flew my quad for the first time today, after a long string of delays. Even with the factory default flight controller stabilization settings, it was reasonably stable, and the only thing that kept me from continuing for more than a few minutes was the fading light.

Question though, how are most people mounting their battery packs? My batteries came with a flimsy Velcro strap which is just about enough to mostly keep it from departing the airframe, but it makes me nervous as hell, even with two straps. Is friction from the strap really all people are depending on to prevent a crash?

If you are pulling them tight and not performing any sort of high-G maneuvers, I can't imagine they would slip. I use one in my 3D Sukhoi 29-MM and have never had one slip out. The problem is batteries aren't a standard size, so making something that holds them "better" is tough.

subx fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 6, 2014

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I ended up getting some velcro tape (velcro on one side, adhesive on the other), and slapped that on both the frame and my batteries. Works great in combination with the strap.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

subx posted:

If you are pulling them tight and not performing any sort of high-G maneuvers, I can't imagine they would slip. I use one in my 3D Sukhoi 29-MM and have never had one slip out. The problem is batteries aren't a standard size, so making something that holds them "better" is tough.

I'd think little tabs at each end, with the strap around the middle should keep a battery in place. Velcro sounds good too. I use a small 1" square patch on my batteries and fuselage. its held despite the fuselage its stuck to breaking away from the rest of the plane.

I noticed my esc/bec I plan to be using is 5.5v, while the miniosd and acro naze want 5v. On one hand its just .5v higher, but then I'd rather not risk it. I'm thinking my options are:
5v regulator
A Diode (tend to drop .3-.7 volts, and reverse polarity protection)
3rd 5v BEC direct to the battery.

Sounds like I'll likely want a filter as well in the first two cases. But that's something I'm comfortable just making.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 6, 2014

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A BEC is just a regulator of some kind in RC-friendly configuration/package/wiring.

The BEC in your ESC might actually read closer to 5V once it's under load (in other words, plugged into something.) Depends on how it's made.

I would not recommend a diode in this application because the diode will have to dissipate an equal amount of current to whatever it is "feeding" on the other end, just any ol' diode off a shelf won't do the trick, but mostly there's no reason to make do with it when there are solutions actually made for the purpose.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

http://hackaday.com/2014/10/06/quadrotor-pod-racing/

Looks like a lot of fun! I watched the video without sound, so it may all be in French or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^ That DOES look like fun.

Whats a good quadcopter, or more specifically, DJI forum to get into some technical questions?

I picked up a Vision 2+ locally for a good deal because a guy crashed it into a light pole and bent the camera after it fell 20' to the sidewalk below. He figured it wasn't worth repairing so I picked it up. Spare props, charger, battery, controller, if nothing else.

Problem is I tried flying it and it flies pretty well, but it wanders.. keeps a slight bit of lateral movement and won't hover still like mine will which is what I sort of expect a magnetic issue to be.

I've recalibrated the magnetometer but doesn't seem to help.. although it does give recalibrate messages more than I would think it should. I'm looking for ideas on what to do to make it flyable and would probably need more specific advice than this forum can get into. Not to fussy about the camera aspect at this point.