Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Dazzling Klaxon posted:

2) Enemies that are frozen may unfreeze and attack on the same turn. So if something's in a block of ice and I move next to it, I get hit. I expected them to work like spiderwebs and give me a 'free' turn, which is usually the case so the issue may just be them unfreezing visually at the wrong time.

This game is really fun also. I got to the 'unwinnable' 7th level and I would agree that is the case.
Definitely agree with all of this. There wasn't much I could do about a screen full of cloning, fire-spraying mushroom wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Fired up Necrodancer for the first time in a month or so, went to Hardcore mode, hit a Blood Shrine on the first level, hey-ho, blood bow. I can now confirm it's pretty awesome; it carried me all the way to the end (plus a Ring of Might in the last zone).

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Unless you play as an elder race, and even then perhaps still, I don't understand why it isn't considered part of the prevailing player wisdom that blessing/carrying/using all the potions that tie to youth and longevity is paramount very nearly right up their with making plenty of holy water and a bit of unholy. Biskup really should add in a pointed part about the dangers of aging in the forthcoming versions and tutorial dungeon.

Where do you need unholy water?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Dazzling Klaxon posted:

2) Enemies that are frozen may unfreeze and attack on the same turn. So if something's in a block of ice and I move next to it, I get hit. I expected them to work like spiderwebs and give me a 'free' turn, which is usually the case so the issue may just be them unfreezing visually at the wrong time.

This is actually a regression I introduced without noticing. Next patch in 30 minutes or so will have a visual indicator that the ice is breaking next turn, as well as a nerf to freezing weapons (can only apply once to a monster) and vampiric weapons (only drain on kill, not on hit)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

This is actually a regression I introduced without noticing. Next patch in 30 minutes or so will have a visual indicator that the ice is breaking next turn, as well as a nerf to freezing weapons (can only apply once to a monster) and vampiric weapons (only drain on kill, not on hit)

Could you make it so the fire weapons always hit the dude you're attacking? Dancing flames and the curly one with the name I can't remember tend not to and it makes me not want to use them.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Could you make it so the fire weapons always hit the dude you're attacking? Dancing flames and the curly one with the name I can't remember tend not to and it makes me not want to use them.

Yeah, this is in the backlog for the next patch (tomorrow or monday.)

...also this is fixed:

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

SnowblindFatal posted:

Where do you need unholy water?

Certain items are just as useful cursed (or more useful cursed) than uncursed. A cursed wand of knocking is functionally a wand of magic lock for instance.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

oriongates posted:

Certain items are just as useful cursed (or more useful cursed) than uncursed. A cursed wand of knocking is functionally a wand of magic lock for instance.

Is there any good spoiler sheet for the less intuitive stuff like this in ADOM? I'm liking it from what little I've played but it's looking to be almost as impenetrable as Nethack without spoilers.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

A Magical Lamp posted:

Is there any good spoiler sheet for the less intuitive stuff like this in ADOM? I'm liking it from what little I've played but it's looking to be almost as impenetrable as Nethack without spoilers.

http://adomgb.info/ is everything you need to know about ADOM. It is extremely spoiler heavy, but it covers everything and is reasonably well separated out into individual dungeons/challenges so you can look up what you need to know without accidentally spoiling everything.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

The ADOM Wiki and ADOM guidebooks are pretty good guides. If nothing else they tell you all the weird functions of different scrolls, potions, etc. not to mention monsters.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
ADOM's only good if you're playing it fully spoiled, imo. It's got great parts, but transparency is not one of them.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

It's important to remember the guidebook hasn't been updated for the latest versions of ADOM, so certain things are different. Mostly it's just stuff you probably weren't planning to do like pissing off your god until he loves you infinitely or drowning gremlins by the thousand, but some things like darkness and kick robbing have been heavily nerfed or removed so Be Aware.

e: oh and also now there's an ice dungeon and some random dungeons scattered around so you'd need to peep the wiki for those

Kobold Sex Tape fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 5, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unormal posted:

You guys are welcome to use the latest private Beta of Caves of Qud: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vlkzatq58yqkdl5/AAAybqz-6WaBp4NxZysLq2A8a?dl=0

*Mutation cost rebalance:

Adrenal Control - 3, down from 4
Burrowing Claws - 2, down from 3
Corrosive Gas - 3, down from 4
Electromagnetic Pulse - 2, down from 3
Heightened Hearing - 2, down from 3
Phasing - 4, down from 5
Photosynthetic skin - 2, down from 3
Sleep Gas Generation - 2, down from 3
Spinnerets - 3, down from 4
Stinger (all types) - 3, down from 4
Two Headed - 2, down from 3

Clairvoyance - 2, down from 3
Disintegration - 3, down from 4
Ego Projection - 2, down from 3
Light Manipulation - 4, up from 3
Mental Mirror - 2, down from 3
Precognition - 4, up from 3
Sunder Mind - 4, down from 5
Syphon Vim - 3, down from 4
Teleport Other - 2, down from 3

*Added a new terminal font (Thanks Brian Turcotte!)
*Added support for '-oldfont' to revert to the older lower-resolution texture
*Added a new dungeon (Trembling Dunes, lower-leftmost square of world map) [build currently waiting final monster/item population]
*Added low contrast accessibility mode (OpenGL only)
*Fixed stun rod not stunning
*Fixed beak having the same description as horns
*Fixed some issues with cross-faction aggro levels
*Fixed an issue with gas propagation near world's end
*Fixed an issue where dart guns and other magazine-loaded multi-ammo guns weren't providing a selector
*Fixed the description of dismembered limbs being capitalized
*Fixed spark ticks being worth a static amount of XP
*Fixed question mark not always calling up information in the shop
*Fixed crayons being rustable
*Fixed axe whack affecting non-combat targets
*Fixed typos

*Modding support:
*Added support for loading mod files from subdirectories
*Added support for Worlds_*.xml, Quests_*.xml, Conversations_*.xml, BuildingTiles_*.xml
*Added new GenericPack part: <part Name="GenericPack" Table="<encountertable>" Amount="XdY+A" Radius="X"></part>
*Added new GenericSolid builder: <builder Class="GenericSolid" Material="<material blueprint>" ClearFirst="true|false"></builder>
*Added descriptions of the object a disk creates to the description of data disks
*Fixed stun rods not stunning
*Fixed an issue where equipping an item out of a chest would leave a reference in the chest
*Fixed arconaut skill display during creation
*Fixed spelling error on game result screen
*Fixed a visibility exception
*Fixed an issue where when NPCs with unstable genome triggered the mutation, the player to be prompted to pick a mutation
Oh my god being a goon is the loving best thing ever sometimes.

Then you play an MMO without a huge goon presence and -pbbbbbt-

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

It's important to remember the guidebook hasn't been updated for the latest versions of ADOM, so certain things are different. Mostly it's just stuff you probably weren't planning to do like pissing off your god until he loves you infinitely or drowning gremlins by the thousand, but some things like darkness and kick robbing have been heavily nerfed or removed so Be Aware.

e: oh and also now there's an ice dungeon and some random dungeons scattered around so you'd need to peep the wiki for those

The Adom Wiki thankfully includes updates to 1.2

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I know some people knock adom and nethack down because spoilers seem pretty necessary but I like it. I think the games especially nethack should be spoiled by default to the point where the spoilers should be implemented in game.

I think of it more like an instruction manual than spoilers but I can see how it would bug people.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

ADOM's only good if you're playing it fully spoiled, imo. It's got great parts, but transparency is not one of them.

:agreed:
ADOM is a fantastic roguelike, but trying to play it unspoiled is just an exercise in frustration.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Here's that CoQ build I mentioned earlier. Disadvantage and stats can vary a bit but a high ego is vital for letting you focus mutation points on leveling your carapace and picking up new mutations and high strength can be handy for all the stuff/water you're gonna be lugging around. Pick up berate asap, it lowers the target's resistance to Sunder Mind.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 5, 2014

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Unormal posted:

Yeah, this is in the backlog for the next patch (tomorrow or monday.)

...also this is fixed:

I'm having flashbacks to Lampreygeddon. :stare:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

The thing about ADOM and Nethack versus something like Crawl is this 'in death you learn' style of gameplay that makes Roguelikes, Roguelikes (among 100000 different arguable things). The difference is that conceivably someone could make it through Crawl much easier on their first ten tries versus ADOM/Nethack because Crawl requires you to be really good at playing it versus Nethack/ADOM which requires you to be really good at playing it and know a lot of hidden mechanics you won't discover until (maybe) you die because you didn't know them.

But part of that is the joy of the older ones, this discover of things like fountains and swords, or of blessed potions, that slow accumulation of knowledge and mastery. But much like older-school MMO design some people really don't want to waste their time, in the case of roguelikes, with learning things like blessed potions of youth.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Pladdicus posted:

The thing about ADOM and Nethack versus something like Crawl is this 'in death you learn' style of gameplay that makes Roguelikes, Roguelikes (among 100000 different arguable things). The difference is that conceivably someone could make it through Crawl much easier on their first ten tries versus ADOM/Nethack because Crawl requires you to be really good at playing it versus Nethack/ADOM which requires you to be really good at playing it and know a lot of hidden mechanics you won't discover until (maybe) you die because you didn't know them.

But part of that is the joy of the older ones, this discover of things like fountains and swords, or of blessed potions, that slow accumulation of knowledge and mastery. But much like older-school MMO design some people really don't want to waste their time, in the case of roguelikes, with learning things like blessed potions of youth.

Well it is rather stupid to die near the end after a fair number of hours because of some bullshit knowledge check.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Cerepol posted:

Well it is rather stupid to die near the end after a fair number of hours because of some bullshit knowledge check.

Because? The idea is there's a greater sense of accomplishment when it comes at a greater cost. Getting to that point and being able to say you learned it all on your own is a pretty impressive achievement.

I don't like it myself, but I wouldn't say that's universal.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

:toot:

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Congrats! What upgrade path did you take?

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

I bought this game because I kind of forgot games exist on iOS, and roguelikes seem perfect on that platform.

Fun fact: I did a google image search on that image and got directed to this page to figure out its name: Hoplite

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Ok this, plus a huge number of other changes, tweaks and updates up on the beta branch.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Hey, wow. Really glad I bought Hoplite. This game feels like Desktop Dungeons and Lolo. Cool combo. I'm having trouble getting past Depth 6, but I'm sure that will change once I get some better game sense.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Cerepol posted:

Crawl has knowledge checks too though. If you don't know what a certain unique does, what resistances you need for a given branch, what spells are good for what part of the game, what branch ending you got, what stats to take on level up, how the game changes once you pick up the orb, etc chances are you are going to have a rough time. You can learn a lot of these things by playing the game and (probably) dying, or by looking them up on the wiki.

Crawl might have more mechanical transparency than a game like NetHack or ADOM but you still have to put in the hard yards to actually learn the game if you're playing it unspoilt.

I don't spoil my roguelikes so I had a really rough time with ADOM. I kind of liked not knowing what was going on all the time and it seemed like a fun game but I gave up on it because it kept crashing.

I've been playing CoQ on and off and it owns super hard--probably my favourite RL at the moment.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
FYI, the officially sanctioned way to play CoQ is F1 through every character creation screen and pick only unstable genomes for mutations (and optional defects for more unstable genomes.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Buck Turgidson posted:

Crawl has knowledge checks too though. If you don't know what a certain unique does, what resistances you need for a given branch, what spells are good for what part of the game, what branch ending you got, what stats to take on level up, how the game changes once you pick up the orb, etc chances are you are going to have a rough time. You can learn a lot of these things by playing the game and (probably) dying, or by looking them up on the wiki.

Crawl might have more mechanical transparency than a game like NetHack or ADOM but you still have to put in the hard yards to actually learn the game if you're playing it unspoilt.

I don't spoil my roguelikes so I had a really rough time with ADOM. I kind of liked not knowing what was going on all the time and it seemed like a fun game but I gave up on it because it kept crashing.

I've been playing CoQ on and off and it owns super hard--probably my favourite RL at the moment.

Yeah you certainly benefit from spoilers in crawl, but it's not the same order of magnitude as the knowledge needed for the older ones. There's certainly nothing resembling "wear the wedding ring in the banshee level or die". It's explicitly a design goal to make things as discoverable as possible, even if you're always going to benefit from knowing the exact characteristics of every monster.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

The proper way to deal with the banshee is to use beeswax, plugging your ears. You will have never done this before and will never do it again. This makes you permanently deaf until you use the Clean Ears command, which has its own hotkey that you probably wouldn't know about and is only used once. Also there's a Wipe Face button that you will only ever use if you run into a randomly generated special room that blinds you until you press it, rather than going away after a while like other sources of blinding. ADOM rules.

e: i just looked it up and you actually have to WIELD, not wear, the wedding ring to not get instakilled in the old versions. whooooops

Kobold Sex Tape fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 6, 2014

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

The proper way to deal with the banshee is to use beeswax, plugging your ears. You will have never done this before and will never do it again. This makes you permanently deaf until you use the Clean Ears command, which has its own hotkey that you probably wouldn't know about and is only used once. Also there's a Wipe Face button that you will only ever use if you run into a randomly generated special room that blinds you until you press it, rather than going away after a while like other sources of blinding. ADOM rules.

e: i just looked it up and you actually have to WIELD, not wear, the wedding ring to not get instakilled in the old versions. whooooops

I forget which version, but once upon a time I managed to go through the entire game without getting a single beehive, wedding ring, or potion of deafness for the entire game.

I ended up having to get a ring of djinni summoning to wish for a drat lump of beeswax to continue.

Also once upon a time it used to be pretty hilarious, what you could do with the banshee. Earwax yourself up, wield the ring (because the last thing you forgot was that it only worked if you were in LOS of her. It was possible to be within dying range and out of LOS), and dragging her up to the animated forest and have her endlessly kill the trees to farm items for you. She ended up getting absurdly powerful from this, but as long as you wielded the ring you were safe.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

I'm decade-ago Thomas Biskup's inability to program rings properly *critically hits you with a wielded, not worn, ring of the master cat*

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
ADOM's command list is completely ridiculous. The one that sticks out in my memory is picking up items "in a comfortable way" or "primitively"... I don't think I ever used them so I don't know what they do. It just sounded so pointless. In games like that the list of commands wouldn't be an issue if the game actually had a decent UI and presented your options a bit better. If you have a clear idea of what you can do it can go a long way towards making a game less obtuse and might put more creative approaches to problems at the forefront of the player's mind. Like maybe putting beeswax in my ears isn't so ridiculous and might actually occur naturally to the player if your inventory is laid out better or you can see what commands you can apply to a given item in your possession.

I can't remember if ADOM has a hint system like NetHack's oracle, but that certainly helped me survive some of the crazier stuff in that game.

Actually isn't there an old lunatic or a druid or barbarian that talks to you about stuff?

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

It's probably best for the game that the exploits have been fixed, but on the other hand I really want to infitely double my gold by giving it to dragons until it becomes Negative Gold, then commit an endless drowning of constantly multiple gremlins to create an engine of infinite wishes using lovely rings and potions, and finish my ADOM session by praying thousands of times until my god hates me so much that he loves me endlessly. And also at some point starve and sicken myself so that when I eat plants I become a superman.

e: ADOM has fortune cookies, the collected works of confucius, yggaz, and the oracle although I thiiiink she only helps for ultra endings or something. mad minstrel might tell you stuff or he may just sing, i've not bothered with him much or any of the helpers really

Kobold Sex Tape fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 6, 2014

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

It's probably best for the game that the exploits have been fixed, but on the other hand I really want to infitely double my gold by giving it to dragons until it becomes Negative Gold, then commit an endless drowning of constantly multiple gremlins to create an engine of infinite wishes using lovely rings and potions, and finish my ADOM session by praying thousands of times until my god hates me so much that he loves me endlessly. And also at some point starve and sicken myself so that when I eat plants I become a superman.

e: ADOM has fortune cookies, the collected works of confucius, yggaz, and the oracle although I thiiiink she only helps for ultra endings or something. mad minstrel might tell you stuff or he may just sing, i've not bothered with him much or any of the helpers really

I remembered confucius and the fortune cookies. I didn't know Yggaz could do anything useful, I just used him for dumping potions of booze.

Also yeah I can see why the exploits had to go, but I still liked them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Elbereth in nethack is similarly dumb in its game-changing to obtuseness ratio, whether the oracle tells you about it or not.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Oh yeah also the bartender in Dwarftown gives you fortune cookie messages for a gold. But fortune cookie messages tend to be worthless jokes or lies just as often as they are useful tips so

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
My first ultra ending character was a dwarf beastmaster. I also got all the stats to 99 and were almost immortal. beastmaster +move speed and SLB FTW!!!

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

One of the most fun characters in ADOM that I've played was a dark elf mindcrafter. He was extremely weak and fragile at the beginning but at the end managed to became a ChAoS gOd :black101:

Also...
code:
Demented ratlings seem to have 392 hitpoints on the average. Usually they
attack 16 times. A hit causes 86-159 points of damage (114 on the average).
They seem to have a speed of 124-244 (140 on the average).
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

Wiping mud off your face increases beauty I believe!