Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rinkles posted:

That's a little worse than accidentally playing less cards in your deck. I mean, that couldn't have been accidental right?

e:Or did he not realize his deck list didn't include a card he was actually playing?

He had drafted 2 copies of Dragon Grip, with 1 mainboard and 1 sideboard. His previous match, the Dragon's Grip would have matched up very well against his opponent, so it would not be surprising that it would have come in from the sideboard. Cedric was explaining that when de-sideboarding, he probably looked through his deck and thought "yep, that's in my deck" and forgot he had two copies in there instead of one like it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
(cross posted in the limited thread)

Finished 12-3 at the GP (7-2 day 1 and 5-1 day 2)

Day one sealed was a midrange dream. Had 1x 1 drop (Herald) 1x 2 drops, 12x 3 drop/morph including Savage Knuckleblade and Mantis Rider and 2x 4 drops. My losses were to crazy removal deck and a Wingmate Roc deck when I couldn't draw any removal.

Draft 1 ended up being a B/W warrior deck with a Abzan charm splash. 2x +1/+0 lord, and 3x Mardu Hordechief. Also 2x Feat of Resistance. It just ran over people.

Draft 2 was Jeskai splash Ankleshanker with 2(!)x Crater's Claws, Mantis Rider and High Sentinels of Arashin. Lost to a mana flood in my only draft lost with my opponent on 4. Best match however was the last one of the day. Game 1 I runner, runner two lands to Claws for exact damage. Game 2 I play a Claw early to remove a creature but find myself very behind but my opponent on 9 with 9 land in play. He has the pay 1 to draw a card if you deal damage with warrior and tanks for a minute on weather he should draw and actually muses "he can't have 2, right?" and decides to draw. I flip over the one card in hand and he about explodes. Feels good getting passed them picks 3 and 4 in pack 3.

Over all I think this format is really good and rewards good play/mana bases.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

darkspider42 posted:

Draft 2 was Jeskai splash Ankleshanker with 2(!)x Crater's Claws, Mantis Rider and High Sentinels of Arashin. Lost to a mana flood in my only draft lost with my opponent on 4. Best match however was the last one of the day. Game 1 I runner, runner two lands to Claws for exact damage. Game 2 I play a Claw early to remove a creature but find myself very behind but my opponent on 9 with 9 land in play. He has the pay 1 to draw a card if you deal damage with warrior and tanks for a minute on weather he should draw and actually muses "he can't have 2, right?" and decides to draw. I flip over the one card in hand and he about explodes. Feels good getting passed them picks 3 and 4 in pack 3.

Over all I think this format is really good and rewards good play/mana bases.

Lethal Crater's Claws after Clawing away something else earlier in the game feel so good. I got 2 in my IRL RUG prerelease box and they just did so much work. Even just Fireball is awesome when everyone for some reason is building their decks to durdle as much as possible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
How many of you use pucatrade? Is this going to be as cool as I want it to be?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Sickening posted:

You have to refresh it all day long because sending cards is first come, first served. But you will generally get a few hits a week on stuff from the most recent sets and it's also extremely easy to send stuff away on prerelease-release. I've been on it for 11 months and have sent 65, and I mostly acquire cards through just weekly drafts and prereleases.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Today, in "modo is laughable" news, the latter stages of a PTQ bugged out and some players had to autosubmit 80 card limited decks. One of these decks somehow made it to the finals, where it lost to someone playing a real deck. Mike Turian then calls the guy who won on his cell phone to try and get him to agree to a rematch. He did not.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

So MTGO apparently was a broken piece of poo poo for last night's PTQ too. From Reddit:

quote:

In the T8 of the Magic Online PTQ today 4 players were forced to autosubmit 80 card decks. The event was not remade and they played it out. One of the unsubmitted decks made it to the finals (where the player lost) and, in order to resolve the issue, Mike Turian (Digital Product Manager for Magic Online) called the winner and asked them to replay the match. This is just unacceptable
Proof: http://imgur.com/BY4OgDf (from the fb thread made by the winner of the event)
EDIT: Player obviously refused
Edit: My (now public) FB post about this (where the winner comments): https://www.facebook.com/chris.mascioli/posts/583695552560?comment_id=583700073500&notif_t=like

I don't want to even think how loving pissed off must that 80 card deck finalist be. And no, three boxes of boosters and the card set from prizes aren't enough of a consolation when Worth and Mike poo poo on your face like that. With a prize like this on the line, MTGO simply can't be allowed to bug out like this. If they Wizards cannot guarantee it doesn't, or can't remake the event immediately when the problem is noticed, they simply should not have events with PT slots on the line as prizes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So who is caught up on the latest modo drama? Today was the first new ptq. Limited with t8 draft. Apparently modo screwed up and auto submitted 80 card decks for several of the players.

Well I'll just quote reddit for the rest:

In the T8 of the Magic Online PTQ today 4 players were forced to autosubmit 80 card decks. The event was not remade and they played it out. One of the unsubmitted decks made it to the finals (where the player lost) and, in order to resolve the issue, Mike Turian (Digital Product Manager for Magic Online) called the winner and asked them to replay the match.

So, uhh don't put your cellphone in if you don't want the director of magic calling you up and guilting you into replaying a match on their broken system. :aslol:

e:fffuuuuu

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So who is caught up on the latest modo drama? Today was the first new ptq. Limited with t8 draft. Apparently modo screwed up and auto submitted 80 card decks for several of the players.

Well I'll just quote reddit for the rest:

In the T8 of the Magic Online PTQ today 4 players were forced to autosubmit 80 card decks. The event was not remade and they played it out. One of the unsubmitted decks made it to the finals (where the player lost) and, in order to resolve the issue, Mike Turian (Digital Product Manager for Magic Online) called the winner and asked them to replay the match.

So, uhh don't put your cellphone in if you don't want the director of magic calling you up and guilting you into replaying a match on their broken system. :aslol:

e:fffuuuuu

They elaborated a little bit later, one of the ORCs told him he'd have to replay it, and the guy went to twitter and told turian to call him and presumably gave him the phone number there.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I assume he gave his number so he could laugh at WOTC directly

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I make Twin play it out every time. I don't mind losing, I mind losing to Twin. Especially considering the first few matches I played against it, they made me play out my Mindslaver lock, even though they won't ever get another turn and I have a way to kill them either with my deck or theirs. Everyone else in that situation just scooped, so screw 'em.

Every other deck I scoop once I've lost.

Also, an IRL rules question: if I Mindslaver lock someone, I'm assuming I have to make an attempt to win if they don't scoop? Ie I can't just keep doing nothing, passing the turn and run the clock down to 2 minutes before I kill them? I'm pretty sure there's some rule forbidding me from doing nothing, but how would my opponent know I had nothing to do?

How do you force Twin to play it out other than making them say "I make X tokens and swing with the board"? It's fairly easy to demonstrate the shortcut and MTG tournament rules are fairly biased towards letting players perform shortcuts in the interests of keeping the tournament going smoothly.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Hey WotC, maybe it's time to more heavily invest in Magic Online? You say it's still basically printing money? Well okay :shrug:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

NovemberMike posted:

How do you force Twin to play it out other than making them say "I make X tokens and swing with the board"? It's fairly easy to demonstrate the shortcut and MTG tournament rules are fairly biased towards letting players perform shortcuts in the interests of keeping the tournament going smoothly.

Make them manually tap/untap each guy and put a token on the battlefield, I guess.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I am astonished the official response wasn't to just give a PT invite to 2nd place as well--they have a few invites that they give away for press-related reasons, and I can't imagine a better use of one than this.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

NovemberMike posted:

MTGO can't detect infinite loops.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I am astonished the official response wasn't to just give a PT invite to 2nd place as well--they have a few invites that they give away for press-related reasons, and I can't imagine a better use of one than this.

I think the official response might be still coming, it's just a few hours after the event now. I honestly would not be surprised if that was the (correct) direction they take. But then the question honestly is, what about the other players who bugged out in the top 8?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Sickening posted:

Pucatrade owns, I've sent out 542 cards and received 416. Highlights include receiving a Gaea's Cradle and Judge Umezawa's Jitte, all for the low low price of tons of stamps and constant :f5:ing. It can be hellaciously grindy waiting for trades to pop up so make sure you put in as much of your collection as you can stand. When I started out I was willing to send out any trade that would net me more points than the value of a stamp, but that gets old quickly so my personal minimum has crept up to ~250 points unless something pops up for someone I know or have good trades with before.

I do basically zero unplanned in person trades anymore because pucatrade is so much less of a hassle in the age of #mtgfinance and traders wanting value balanced out to the nearest nickel based on tcg mid or asking for ridiculous throw ins so they can "win" the trade. It's also made events much more enjoyable not lugging around binders and/or worrying that they're going to be stolen.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Just opened a fat pack (yes I know opening packs is bad value, this one was a gift and I couldn't use the packs for anything else) and got three fetches (two foothills and a strand), bloodsoaked champion, mantis rider, foil siege rhino, and a foil high sentinels. Insane. I also got an empty the pits, azban ascendency, and an ivorytusk fortress to round out the others. This was apparently the abzan or bust pack.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Lunsku posted:

I think the official response might be still coming, it's just a few hours after the event now. I honestly would not be surprised if that was the (correct) direction they take. But then the question honestly is, what about the other players who bugged out in the top 8?

1) Give all players in the top 8 with bugged decks pro tour invites.
2) Have the four players with bugged decks play in a 4 person tournament for a pro tour invite.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Fetches are going to definitely go down in price, right? I'm trading my only two GR fetches and one of my edh cards for 2 snapcaster mages for my new modern deck and I'm wondering if that's a worthy trade since I can probably pick them up for cheaper in a month or so time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Samael posted:

Fetches are going to definitely go down in price, right? I'm trading my only two GR fetches and one of my edh cards for 2 snapcaster mages for my new modern deck and I'm wondering if that's a worthy trade since I can probably pick them up for cheaper in a month or so time.

They'll be in the $10-15 dollar range for a while, at least while Khans is being opened for Limited. Shocklands peaked at $15, for example, and fetches are nowhere near as good (in Standard) as shocks. There is more eternal-format demand for fetchlands, but that's unlikely to be a major factor on the price after the initial rush subsides.

They'll definitely creep up long-term, but the fetchlands not used in whatever breakout deck shows up at the pro-tour will be dropping a bit first.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Samael posted:

I think it's a safe bet that cards that are known quantities going into the Pro Tour aren't going to have their prices drastically affected this weekend (ie: fetches) and that the impact of them being opened in vast quantities over the coming weeks and months will only cause their price to go down first before their inevitable steady climb back up down the road. My guess is you'll be able to pick them up cheaper in a month or so almost without a doubt -- at worst you'll get them back for about the same value as you're trading them for now.

As for your your particular trade, without knowing what "one of my edh cards" is it's hard to evaluate, but 1 Snapcaster Mage by itself is worth about 2 Wooded Foothills, so unless the mystery 3rd card you gave up is like a Cryptic Command I'd say you're making out fine.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BXCX posted:

Pucatrade owns, I've sent out 542 cards and received 416. Highlights include receiving a Gaea's Cradle and Judge Umezawa's Jitte, all for the low low price of tons of stamps and constant :f5:ing. It can be hellaciously grindy waiting for trades to pop up so make sure you put in as much of your collection as you can stand. When I started out I was willing to send out any trade that would net me more points than the value of a stamp, but that gets old quickly so my personal minimum has crept up to ~250 points unless something pops up for someone I know or have good trades with before.

I do basically zero unplanned in person trades anymore because pucatrade is so much less of a hassle in the age of #mtgfinance and traders wanting value balanced out to the nearest nickel based on tcg mid or asking for ridiculous throw ins so they can "win" the trade. It's also made events much more enjoyable not lugging around binders and/or worrying that they're going to be stolen.

Man, if only being in the UK didn't kill mich hope of that. Stupid postage costs.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I think it's a safe bet that cards that are known quantities going into the Pro Tour aren't going to have their prices drastically affected this weekend (ie: fetches) and that the impact of them being opened in vast quantities over the coming weeks and months will only cause their price to go down first before their inevitable steady climb back up down the road. My guess is you'll be able to pick them up cheaper in a month or so almost without a doubt -- at worst you'll get them back for about the same value as you're trading them for now.

As for your your particular trade, without knowing what "one of my edh cards" is it's hard to evaluate, but 1 Snapcaster Mage by itself is worth about 2 Wooded Foothills, so unless the mystery 3rd card you gave up is like a Cryptic Command I'd say you're making out fine.

It's an Enlightened Tutor, not quite a cryptic command but a reasonably pricy card, but yeah I think it's a good trade for me, especially no one around here is trading snappies, been looking for them for weeks. :negative:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lunsku posted:

I don't know the solution to this but I do know that until the PTQs can be fixed on MODO we need to shut down the queues with the best payouts until we can figure out what the problem is.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

rabidsquid posted:

I don't know the solution to this but I do know that until the PTQs can be fixed on MODO we need to shut down the queues with the best payouts until we can figure out what the problem is.

Part of the problem, I think is that there is no "the problem." I don't play MODO, but whenever I hear about something going wrong, it's found some new and exciting way to screw people out of playing the game properly. I feel like they're playing whackamole with bugs.

I do wonder the degree to which this is causing any negative effect, though. The guys at Brainstorm Brewery have hypothesized that M15 redemption numbers are down due to the client switchover, but as far as i know, that's apocryphal.

Personally, I have a computer that doesn't over heat in an hour for the first time in 6 months, so I could buy into MODO...but it's a Mac. I would probably pay $100 to dual boot primarily to play magic (God knows I've spent more money on this stupid game) but at this point I feel like i should not support this product.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They do play Whack-A-Mole with the bugs because the team is absolutely tiny for how big a project MODO is.

Also I think the whole program is held together with the programming equivalent of duct tape, paperclips, and gum.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

MTGO can't detect infinite loops.

I was thinking physical. MTGO being poo poo is usually the answer to weird mtg stuff.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BXCX posted:

Is there a way to see the amount of points you get in for trading in? I'm not seeing it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Is there a way to see the amount of points you get in for trading in? I'm not seeing it.

When you add cards into your "haves" each card is assigned points. You then look for someone who needs the cards you have and then you get the value in your total.

So far I think its a little weird because I have some pretty premo trades and nobody that currently needs them. I have rabbles, temples, and all sorts of good stuff that is not showing a single person that needs them.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Count Bleck posted:

If you click the "Send Cards" button on the top right it takes you to the page where available trades are listed. The third column named Value lists how many points you'll get for completing the trade. They're roughly equivalent to somewhere between tcgmid and scg for the most part, with 1 point equaling 1 cent, they usually lag behind a day or two on updating prices for stuff that spikes like crazy.

Sickening posted:

So far I think its a little weird because I have some pretty premo trades and nobody that currently needs them. I have rabbles, temples, and all sorts of good stuff that is not showing a single person that needs them.

It will only show you people with the combination of wanting the card and having the points available to receive the card. Anything that's in standard and hot will get snapped up within seconds of it being listed thanks to plugins that check sites for changes on the page (I use check4change) so you can have that running in the background while you do other stuff and then dive to change tabs when something changes and hope to catch it before someone else does. In fact, if you ever see lots of copies of a standard card show up as available trades and not get snapped up immediately its a red flag that the card is in a #mtgfinance price spike situation so check tcg or ebay to see what they're really going for. For example, Stoke the Flames recently went through the roof but PucaTrade had it listed at about half the market rate, so a bunch of shitheads had multiple playlists posted hoping someone would send them all the value. The most active time of day for trades to pop up seems to be 5:30PM-10:30PM Eastern time, which probably corresponds with people getting home from work, opening their mail, and completing trades, which opens up the trades that the person who sent the cards because they are suddenly flush with points.

mehall posted:

Man, if only being in the UK didn't kill mich hope of that. Stupid postage costs.

That is a flaw and the size of the community is way smaller, but you may be surprised at how many traders are willing to take a loss on postage just to get some points. I've received a ton of cards from Ireland for some reason.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

You think that's bad... ain't nobody in Japan on Pucatrade. I'm going to spend some money sending cards overseas only to have people scared away from the prospect of spending more money to ship here than the card I'm requesting is worth.
I might just have to rely on :australia: trades.

e: also I wish they would allow me to list my Japanese cards.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 6, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Lunsku posted:

So MTGO apparently was a broken piece of poo poo for last night's PTQ too. From Reddit:

I don't want to even think how loving pissed off must that 80 card deck finalist be. And no, three boxes of boosters and the card set from prizes aren't enough of a consolation when Worth and Mike poo poo on your face like that. With a prize like this on the line, MTGO simply can't be allowed to bug out like this. If they Wizards cannot guarantee it doesn't, or can't remake the event immediately when the problem is noticed, they simply should not have events with PT slots on the line as prizes.

I was in this top 8 but me and my opponent both got to submit :(

cheetah7071 posted:

What about the players that lost/matches that were ruined due to 80 card decks so the wrong people reached the finals? Just give the 1st place his invite (he earned it) and replay the tourney with the other 7.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 6, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
A lot of creative brews went the distance in the TCG Player States in New Mexico this weekend:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I Love You! posted:

What about the players that lost/matches that were ruined due to 80 card decks so the wrong people reached the finals? Just give the 1st place his invite (he earned it) and replay the tourney with the other 7.

https://twitter.com/RealJacobWilson/status/518992135086161920

The reasonable suggestion.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Boco_T posted:

A lot of creative brews went the distance in the TCG Player States in New Mexico this weekend:

At least the Abzan lists are all quite different in configuration. :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Hey, at least it wasn't a bunch of mono green.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Quick question, when does M15 rotate out? A friend has offered 2 Thoughtseizes for my 2 Polluted Deltas, and I'm wondering if it's worth it given how long Khans will be out for (as well as the inevitable slow drop of fetch prices). I've mentioned before I eventually want to play Sultai delve, but am currently building mono black so it seems like it might be worth the trade as the seizes will remain good for a while.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

:allears:

The Best Tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Wicked Wall posted:

Quick question, when does M15 rotate out? A friend has offered 2 Thoughtseizes for my 2 Polluted Deltas, and I'm wondering if it's worth it given how long Khans will be out for (as well as the inevitable slow drop of fetch prices). I've mentioned before I eventually want to play Sultai delve, but am currently building mono black so it seems like it might be worth the trade as the seizes will remain good for a while.

Thoughtseize isn't going to get cheaper unless its reprinted and polluted delta will be getting cheaper. I would trade the deltas if I couldn't use them.

• Locked thread