Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Nickoten!

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE! DQ3 does not look like poo poo.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/dqsp/dq3/

1200 yen tho?

edit: A friend took this shot.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
gently caress yes! I'll pay what it takes man.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It looks like it might be the Super Famicom version. :toot:

1200 yen's about $11 USD, so maybe they'll be nice and round down to :10bux: if it comes west.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Why can't we have these games in landsdcape :<

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Crimson Harvest posted:

Why can't we have these games in landsdcape :<

Because when you're on crowded trains landscape just isn't that preferable. Also, you kinda get used to it. I really like it now and in the case of 8 I think improves the game a bit (the perspective forces you to explore more thoroughly and check all surroundings). Unfortunately we don't have much say in this as DQ is pretty much for Japanese people again these days, I doubt we will see X in English, for example.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
In general I prefer mobile games in portrait, as they just feel a little more comfortable. I'm okay with this, and I can see why Japan is too.

Though adding the option for landscape surely wouldn't take much effort, right? Most apps seem to allow this just fine.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

In general I prefer mobile games in portrait, as they just feel a little more comfortable. I'm okay with this, and I can see why Japan is too.

Though adding the option for landscape surely wouldn't take much effort, right? Most apps seem to allow this just fine.

Looking at the quality of the visuals in DQ1+2 I'm not terribly sure they give a poo poo.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

Because when you're on crowded trains landscape just isn't that preferable.
Sure it is, if you're using a gameclip/Nvidia Shield thing. I totally would have bought DQ8 by now if it supported my device.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Same. If I could play DQ8 on my shield I'd be all over it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Sure it is, if you're using a gameclip/Nvidia Shield thing. I totally would have bought DQ8 by now if it supported my device.

I think he's referring to physically only having access to one hand for most of a long commute.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Nickoten posted:

I think he's referring to physically only having access to one hand for most of a long commute.

There's plenty of things you could do with only having access to one- oh, you're talking about on a train.

Hm. Yeah, I guess the phone is the only thing that would work here.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The Nvidia shield is probably about as popular as the Xbone in Japan. Few people are going to design a game with that device in mind, especially in Japan.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Nickoten posted:

Yep!

And DQ8's controls are actually pretty great once you get used to them. I personally play it with two hands. Save with 1 and 4. the controls offer a lot of options and customization by where you play the virtual stick. So if I'm at home and just want to play some DQ on my couch, I place the stick on the left side of the screen, and use my right hand for confirm, menu tapping, picking up items and stuff. Any tap on on the bottom portion of the screen equates to a confirmation button press, so you can play this in traditional stick + virtual button style if you want. With camera controls on the bottom, it's even easier. Pretty relaxing, I'd say. When at work, I just plunk my phone on my desk and put the virtual stick in the center and just play with one hand. Virtual buttons aren't bad, they just have a learning curve. The more you play with them, the better you get!

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Himuro posted:

...in the case of 8 I think improves the game a bit (the perspective forces you to explore more thoroughly and check all surroundings).

If there's one thing DQ8 really needed, it's forcing the player to explore even more thoroughly. :shepface:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Captain Vittles posted:

If there's one thing DQ8 really needed, it's forcing the player to explore even more thoroughly. :shepface:

Heh. Well, on ps2, the dungeons come off as pretty simplistic, you know. They don't really have any inherent complexity to them. They're mostly just linear treks without sense of design, which is kind of a far cry to past DQ dungeons, particularly its predecessors, VII's dungeons. But in portrait mode, due to the visual impairment, you have to actually look around in a more thorough manner due to less space and I find this enhances the dungeon exploring. It also leads to some dungeons like the tower at Alexandria to feel cramped, which again, enhances the game for me. The dungeons were one of the biggest flaws in the original for me, so it's nice to experience them in a different way.

edit: drat phone typos.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 26, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

Heh. Well, on ps2, the dungeons come off as pretty simplistic, you know. They don't really care any inherent complexity to them. They're mostly just linear treks without sense of design, which is kind of a far cry to past DQ dungeons, particularly its predecessors, VII's dungeons. But in portrait mode, due to the visual impairment, you have to actually look around in a more thorough manner due to less space and I find this enhances the dungeon exploring. It also leads to some dungeons like the tower at Alexdria to feel cramped, which again, enhances the game for me. The dungeons were one of the biggest flaws in the original for me, so it's nice experience them in a different way.

Does anyone know if this would fit as a custom title? Might be worth the money.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Himuro posted:

Heh. Well, on ps2, the dungeons come off as pretty simplistic, you know. They don't really care any inherent complexity to them. They're mostly just linear treks without sense of design, which is kind of a far cry to past DQ dungeons, particularly its predecessors, VII's dungeons. But in portrait mode, due to the visual impairment, you have to actually look around in a more thorough manner due to less space and I find this enhances the dungeon exploring. It also leads to some dungeons like the tower at Alexdria to feel cramped, which again, enhances the game for me. The dungeons were one of the biggest flaws in the original for me, so it's nice experience them in a different way.

Ah, ok, I see what you're driving at now; I was thinking more of the crazy amount of time I spent crawling the world map looking for chests that usually only contained a medal or stat seed. You're definitely right about the dungeons, they didn't really spark the same dreadful feeling about turning down a side path as in the older games.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Captain Vittles posted:

Ah, ok, I see what you're driving at now; I was thinking more of the crazy amount of time I spent crawling the world map looking for chests that usually only contained a medal or stat seed. You're definitely right about the dungeons, they didn't really spark the same dreadful feeling about turning down a side path as in the older games.

This combined with the lack of alchemy pot timer, faster battles, lower random battle rate make me think that despite its flaws (portrait mode only, touch only controls, lower quality visuals, no orchestrated soundtrack, no voice acting) I ultimately prefer the iOS version to the ps2 version. In terms of playability, it just trumps it. DQ8 was my first DQ, and when I first played it, I didn't mind the battle speed or dungeons. But replaying it years later after going through the whole series, I felt it wasn't as hot as the others, namely 3, 4, 5, and 7. DQ is known for snappy battles that can be completed in 10-20 seconds, and the animations and lack of first person view made DQ8 slow as molasses. Add in worse dungeon design, a flawed alchemy pot system, repeated storylines from earlier entries (6 being a good one) and I realized that despite my love for the title, it was a heavily flawed game in comparison to the rest in the series. The mobile version fixes pretty much all of this with the exception of re-used stories, so if you're not big on DQ8, I highly suggest checking the mobile version out, and if you're big on it, I suggest checking it out anyways. You may end up liking it even more!

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 26, 2014

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Maybe in screenshot format yeah

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Stay furious, loser.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

DQ8 without Yangus's voice isn't DQ8. :colbert:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
We need to stop this silly twaddle about which version of DQ8 is best/how to play games one handed on Japenese commuter trains and focus on getting them to localise Dragon Quest VII, possibly via threats and/or violence, for the 3DS. I found the Prima guide to the PSX version a while back for cheap, so I jumped on it assuming that I would find a reasonably-priced copy on eBay sometime soon. Here it is, months later, and I'm still without a physical copy of the game. At this point, I fancy that my best shot at not spending $60 or more for the bloody thing is a 3DS translation.

Of course, my guide wouldn't be 100% accurate after that, but I'll manage.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Unfortunately, I don't think DQ7 3ds is ever coming. Too much text and time for so little return; DQ is too niche and sells too low. I remember when the sales for DQIV ds dropped way back when and it was in the area of less than 30k units sold. You guys are going to see this more and more often too, unfortunately - and not just with DQ but with jrpgs period - especially since DQ remakes didn't do so well on the DS. My suggestion? Learn Japanese. May seem like a mean suggestion, but you're gonna need it if you're a Japanese rpg fan going forward. The fat days are over.

As for Dragon Warrior VII, you can have mine.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 26, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

My suggestion? Learn Japanese. May seem like a mean suggestion, but you're gonna need it if you're a Japanese rpg fan going forward. The fat days are over.

This is the sort of poo poo most people look at and delete before hitting "post reply"

If Square never localizes DQVII 3DS it'll eventually get fan patched when emulation is more available.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Himuro posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think DQ7 3ds is ever coming. Too much text and time for so little return; DQ is too niche and sells too low. I remember when the sales for DQIV ds dropped way back when and it was in the area of less than 30k units sold. You guys are going to see this more and more often too, unfortunately - and not just with DQ but with jrpgs period - especially since DQ remakes didn't do so well on the DS. My suggestion? Learn Japanese. May seem like a mean suggestion, but you're gonna need it if you're a Japanese rpg fan going forward. The fat days are over.

As for Dragon Warrior VII, you can have mine.

1) You're probably right, but there was some discussion and I was hoping.

2) Don't kid about that; I've been trying to find a copy for months that isn't near to $60 or more. Plenty of cheap ones in Japanese, but learning that language is hardly a realistic option for nearly anyone.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

JustJeff88 posted:

1) You're probably right, but there was some discussion and I was hoping.

2) Don't kid about that; I've been trying to find a copy for months that isn't near to $60 or more. Plenty of cheap ones in Japanese, but learning that language is hardly a realistic option for nearly anyone.

I've got it right here. You can have it for free. I don't need it, and I'm not a game collector anymore, so it's just sitting on my dresser.

There's a scratch on the front cover because I bought it from estarland way back when. Comes with manual, both game discs, and case.

As for Japanese, you can learn kana in a week. With diligence you should be able to play DQ1-6 within a years time. PM me if you want to know more so we don't make the thread go off topic. I know it's not realistic for everyone, but at this point, it's highly suggested.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 27, 2014

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I would take that in an instant. There is a copy for $25 at my local mom and pop shop that I keep thinking about buying.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Can we please talk about how bad Kiefer's character design is? I just never got over it. It's so bad. Fuckin' Animu Lannister looking mother fucker.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Himuro posted:

Can we please talk about how bad Kiefer's character design is? I just never got over it. It's so bad. Fuckin' Animu Lannister looking mother fucker.

The DQ 7 main character's is worse, imo. It's loving chibi Link or something.

Still, arguably the best game in the series other than 5.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Geekslinger posted:

I would take that in an instant. There is a copy for $25 at my local mom and pop shop that I keep thinking about buying.

I'd happily pay $25 for one in a shop, because it means no shipping cost/delay and there's no sales tax here.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Fenrir posted:

The DQ 7 main character's is worse, imo. It's loving chibi Link or something.

Still, arguably the best game in the series other than 5.

For me, picking a best DQ is like picking a favorite pizza topping. They're all so loving good and crucial to a complete pizza that I can't pick any one ingredient. My heart says VIII, but my brain says IV. III is amazing, V is amazing, VII is amazing, IX reiterated on why III was amazing. I just...I loving miss DQ. gently caress X to pieces. loving Mmo's. Announce XI now, dammit. :negative:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Himuro posted:

As for Japanese, you can learn kana in a week. With diligence you should be able to play DQ1-6 within a years time. PM me if you want to know more so we don't make the thread go off topic. I know it's not realistic for everyone, but at this point, it's highly suggested.

After three years of college Japanese I could barely stumble through the beginning of DQ5. Kanji in that font were just too drat small! :argh:

Don't underestimate the difficulty of learning Japanese. To me, the grammar made more sense than English, but there's a lot of complexity in other things.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Luceo posted:

After three years of college Japanese I could barely stumble through the beginning of DQ5. Kanji in that font were just too drat small! :argh:

Don't underestimate the difficulty of learning Japanese. To me, the grammar made more sense than English, but there's a lot of complexity in other things.

Check out Japanese The Manga Way/Assimil's Japanese with Ease for grammar. The good thing about Japanese is that it's very flexible in terms of grammar. For kanji, have you gotten Remembering the Kanji by Heisig? The goal is to learn the 2000 core kanji. I did it in six months. Many do it in three. How many kanji do you know?

If the kanji size is a stumbling block, try importing DQ5 for DS. Higher resolution than the sfam version.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Himuro posted:

Check out Japanese The Manga Way/Assimil's Japanese with Ease for grammar. The good thing about Japanese is that it's very flexible in terms of grammar. For kanji, have you gotten Remembering the Kanji by Heisig? The goal is to learn the 2000 core kanji. I did it in six months. Many do it in three. How many kanji do you know?

If the kanji size is a stumbling block, try importing DQ5 for DS. Higher resolution than the sfam version.

Fuctifiremember, my last year of college was 2001. I passed the basic literacy test, at least.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Himuro posted:

I've got it right here. You can have it for free. I don't need it, and I'm not a game collector anymore, so it's just sitting on my dresser.

There's a scratch on the front cover because I bought it from estarland way back when. Comes with manual, both game discs, and case.

Yo are you seriously giving it away because I'll take it dude.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Himuro posted:

Those are probably the 3 most original designs Toriyama has ever done in the history of Dragon ball Quest. None of them are Goku/Gohan/Bulma/Piccolo clones and that in and of itself is impressive. :colbert:

Or the characters were drawn by someone else.

Not sure about you but I won't need to learn Japanese to play Xenoblade when it comes out next year.

rvm
May 6, 2013
So, I've played DQV SNES and enjoyed it a lot. I don't have anything to add to what has already been said numerous times in this thread.

Now I'm going through DQIII SNES and I'm having a great time with it. I didn't have to grind at all in the starting area which was nice. The game looks gorgeous. Some dialogs are unintentionally hilarious, though. Like, in the beginning: "Your father fell into lava, I hope you will follow in his footsteps." Also, it amused me more than it probably should when I sold a shopkeeper his own boxers, but then I used Recall for the first time :smith:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Question about Dragon Quest 6:

I just got to the part of the game where I can class change my characters but I noticed after changing one of my characters (Barb for example) to a soldier she wasn't able to equip an armor that I assumed a soldier would be able to equip. Do they need to level up in that class before they can equip armor suitable for that class or are they stuck wearing what was originally suited to their characters?

edit: I'm guessing the class doesn't affect stat gains either, it just gives you access to new skills and classes.

V -- Thanks.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 5, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Question about Dragon Quest 6:

I just got to the part of the game where I can class change my characters but I noticed after changing one of my characters (Barb for example) to a soldier she wasn't able to equip an armor that I assumed a soldier would be able to equip. Do they need to level up in that class before they can equip armor suitable for that class or are they stuck wearing what was originally suited to their characters?

Equipment doesn't change by class, only by character. Barbara's gear is the same regardless, though she can use some reasonably powerful weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I hate this kid so much.