Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

In my most recent game I've been able to invite adventurers to my court. They've said yes, every time. Makes plot-assassinations much easier.

e: and if the event refuses to fire, there's always imprisonment.

What? Why on earth would that even be possible?
Wouldn't that especially not work if they're of a different religion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Bel Monte posted:

What? Why on earth would that even be possible?
Wouldn't that especially not work if they're of a different religion?

I have no idea (all my adventurers have thus far been of my religion). I like to imagine it as my King saying "So I hear you're making plans to visit Dublin! Why not come over a little early, I'll show you around the place?"

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I have no idea (all my adventurers have thus far been of my religion). I like to imagine it as my King saying "So I hear you're making plans to visit Dublin! Why not come over a little early, I'll show you around the place?"

"I must invite you to dine with me, Mr. Bond."

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you land an adventurer they can't attack you, even if it's just a barony. This is my go-to tactic if they're relatives.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just had a popup saying some guy in my (French) court with claims on my poo poo has gone adventurer... and then I check back and I find he's invading Scotland, which as far as I can tell no one in his family has had anything to do with :psyduck:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just had a popup saying some guy in my (French) court with claims on my poo poo has gone adventurer... and then I check back and I find he's invading Scotland, which as far as I can tell no one in his family has had anything to do with :psyduck:

That happens every now and then, you'll get a guy who decides he really wants some random chunk of land.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SeaTard posted:

That happens every now and then, you'll get a guy who decides he really wants some random chunk of land.

People have killed for less than being King of Peripheria.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Medieval filibustering :v:.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

During mod testing, I found a bug and/or someone who goes to a unique hairstylist:

DrSunshine posted:

In After The End, I would be extremely disappointed if the cultural title for the King of Texarkana or Texas isn't Texarch. Or possibly even High Texarch :colbert:

:frogout:

alright that's actually pretty clever

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ofaloaf posted:

During mod testing, I found a bug and/or someone who goes to a unique hairstylist:

Clearly a Consumerist nun.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm having Freelancer flashbacks.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I got some land I don't want and I'd like to grant the count independence. However when I do I'm told I can't because he's not a de jure vassal of my religion. What do I have to do to make him a de jure vassal or grant him independence anyway?

e: I just checked and the kingdom his county is in did de jure drift into my empire a while ago.

e2: I've also used the console to switch over and I've tried to get the count to start an independence faction. Every time I click the "start faction" button my game crashes.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 5, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

How big is the fertility penalty to courtiers once your court gets past a certain size? Also, does it kick in immediately (even for childless courtiers), or only after their second kid?

Having looked at this recently I'm pretty sure it's not a fertility penalty, but simply a cap on the number of possible living children for (landless ofcourse) courtiers. It kicks in when your court consists of 30 or more people and limits the number of living children they can have to 2. No restrictions are placed on the employer.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TTBF posted:

I got some land I don't want and I'd like to grant the count independence. However when I do I'm told I can't because he's not a de jure vassal of my religion. What do I have to do to make him a de jure vassal or grant him independence anyway?

e: I just checked and the kingdom his county is in did de jure drift into my empire a while ago.

e2: I've also used the console to switch over and I've tried to get the count to start an independence faction. Every time I click the "start faction" button my game crashes.

If you're going to use the console, give him a bogus empire title to force him to be independent.

Or use the console to remove his active titles, give him a title that is an independent count, give him the title you want to give him, and then give the earlier independent count title back to the original owner.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Same here. :smith::respek::smith: I'm probably just going to give up on ever playing this game legit.

I'm glad I am not the only one.

I pretty much stopped using plots because they are so ineffective and often counter-intuitive.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Edison was a dick posted:

The cooldown on great holy wars is pretty long, which is why it's best saved for huge Kingdoms, like Greece, Italy or Andalusia.

Or a kingdom that will make your borders look nice, like Frisia.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I never ever keep a landless courtier hanging around unless it's because they hold a specific claim I want to press or because I want to land them as soon as I finish conquering something or because I intend to marry them to one of my kids (usually an ambitious male heir I invited over and am keeping around to marry one of my daughters matrilineally.)

Otherwise their asses get married to whoever will take them and shipped the hell out. Oh, hello, randomly generated 16-year-old lowborn courtier who's coming on to me. That's so very nice of you! Here's your one-way ticket to Novrogod.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I never ever keep a landless courtier hanging around unless it's because they hold a specific claim I want to press or because I want to land them as soon as I finish conquering something or because I intend to marry them to one of my kids (usually an ambitious male heir I invited over and am keeping around to marry one of my daughters matrilineally.)

Otherwise their asses get married to whoever will take them and shipped the hell out. Oh, hello, randomly generated 16-year-old lowborn courtier who's coming on to me. That's so very nice of you! Here's your one-way ticket to Novrogod.

Why? This sounds like a huge amount of micro for no apparent gain.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, unlanded courtiers usually make up half of my council. I bring in every genius I can by marrying off people who aren't related to me, or marrying everyone matrilineally, or bring in people who already have 20+ in something. Pretty easy to get a council member with 20 in their stat in every position that way. My court is goddamn packed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, obviously most of my council is courtiers I bribed over from somewhere, and whenever I can get a genius or quick woman to come to court I'll marry her to one of them (they stay single otherwise). And I'm always on the lookout for a high-Martial Organizer to lead my army if I don't already have someone suitable for that job.

But if you're not actually doing anything then you're a bum and I don't want you bumming around my court :colbert:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

But if you're not actually doing anything then you're a bum and I don't want you bumming around my court :colbert:

What do you do when someone's family shows up because the AI thinks that you're the closest landed court they have? I've had 20 people show up and there's not much to do with them, especially if they are married.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

What do you do when someone's family shows up because the AI thinks that you're the closest landed court they have? I've had 20 people show up and there's not much to do with them, especially if they are married.

Yeah, I've had that happen a couple times and drat is it annoying. I try to stab the married ones if I can and marry off all the unmarried ones. Not much you can do with the kids, I mean diplostabbing them is too expensive and you have better things to do with your one plot at a time than try to plot-stab a bunch of kids. You just have to marry them off as soon as they turn 16.

But there really needs to be an event that gives you the option to tell them to bugger off somewhere else. I mean I understand how you can't banish people already in your realm, but what sense does it make that you have to take in any random assholes that wander in off the street?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
The worst thing is when you get a eunuch that has completely mediocre stats. You can't even marry him off to some random priestess because who would want to marry a eunuch?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You just have to marry them off as soon as they turn 16.

Or just, you know, let them stay there since they have almost zero effect on gameplay and can safely be ignored entirely.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Other than going over the 30 cap and limiting the ability of courtiers with good genetic traits to reproduce, which if you go out of your way to try to breed Geniuses/Strongs is pretty annoying.

It's easy to manually raise the cap, but it's there for a pretty good reason--without it the sheer number of characters in the world lategame gets out of hand and horribly bogs the game down.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Just sayin the After the End mod is a definite #1 in my book. You're the greatest, dude :)

I dig that Willow uses Freddy Falcon for it's shield.

except for the lack of my hometown :arghfist::saddowns:

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 6, 2014

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

My only problem with AtE right now is how bumpy the map is.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Just sayin the After the End mod is a definite #1 in my book. You're the greatest, dude :)

I dig that Willow uses Freddy Falcon for it's shield.

except for the lack of my hometown :arghfist::saddowns:
Dudes. There's a team of folks working on this!

And yeah, a lot of counties use sports mascots for their coats of arms. American municipalities often have awful seal and flag designs, if they have any at all, so then it's time either for Catholic dioceses' designs to be used (they're more often the ducal than comital designs) or local team mascots.

Alikchi posted:

My only problem with AtE right now is how bumpy the map is.
It's still mostly just topographic data taken straight from NASA and then slapped into CK2, albeit now with some heavy editing for the rivers and shores to smooth that all out.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Ofaloaf posted:

Dudes. There's a team of folks working on this!

And yeah, a lot of counties use sports mascots for their coats of arms. American municipalities often have awful seal and flag designs, if they have any at all, so then it's time either for Catholic dioceses' designs to be used (they're more often the ducal than comital designs) or local team mascots.

It's still mostly just topographic data taken straight from NASA and then slapped into CK2, albeit now with some heavy editing for the rivers and shores to smooth that all out.

you dudes didn't put stillwater in :argh:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Is After the End not in the Workshop? If not why not? :saddowns:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Is After the End not in the Workshop? If not why not? :saddowns:

The interface for that is pretty unintuitive, and I think the mod may be too big.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Ofaloaf posted:

Having most of Wisconsin be controlled by the Badgerlings is spot on, as is the Lambeau Field holy site.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am amused that in AtE, Isle Royale/Rock Harbor is a Norse Holy Site but it doesnt have a church holding. Also that the Duke has that as his capital county which makes him the weakest lord in his realm.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm imagining that the Norse religion in the north came about from hearing stories about the legendary "Vikings" and their struggle against "Lions", "Redkins", "Giants", "Dolphins", "Cowboys", and "49'ers."

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

I am amused that in AtE, Isle Royale/Rock Harbor is a Norse Holy Site but it doesnt have a church holding. Also that the Duke has that as his capital county which makes him the weakest lord in his realm.

Isle Royale is basically in the way it is because I enjoy watching people suffer.

e: Also because it just seemed appropriate as its own county, yet has a population of just about 0 and yeah.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I guess I'm probably not going to be convert many provinces to Judaism without holding any holding sites, am I? My moral authority got up to 65 at its highest but that was only good for two conversions out of all of Abyssinia and Nubia.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ofaloaf posted:

Apparently the Great Lakes have become home to an exclave of the Centauri Republic.:v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ofaloaf posted:

Isle Royale is basically in the way it is because I enjoy watching people suffer.

e: Also because it just seemed appropriate as its own county, yet has a population of just about 0 and yeah.

Thats awesome.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Bort Bortles posted:

I still have to wait ~5 years for assassination events to fire. I can start a plot to kill the imprisoned peasant leader of a revolt I just crushed, have my whole court join the plot, and sit there for 4 years before I get a popup that "someone has a daring plan!".

I started a plot against a peasant revolt leader, while the revolt was still going on. Almost no-one joined it. I won the war (because he split his huge army in 2, and I managed to take them on one at a time) and imprisoned the leader and forgot about the plot. Suddenly I got a pop-up that the plot was about to fire. I paused the game and banished the leader, seizing ~250 gold. The next day I get a pop-up that my plot fired and he's dead. Sorry for stealing your luck I guess :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Man. I started up another game today after a long time without playing, and there's still the bug where bastard children pop out half the time with no father whatsoever. Bugs the heck out of me, since it makes lovers mostly pointless, and of course it always seems like it's the strong ones that everybody apparently decides to be a virgin birth.

• Locked thread