Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I've never played a Paradox game before and just looked into CK2 a little. All the complex, little details that go into every scenario sound really interesting and entertaining. Is there any DLC you guys recommend getting with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Iserlohn posted:

I've never played a Paradox game before and just looked into CK2 a little. All the complex, little details that go into every scenario sound really interesting and entertaining. Is there any DLC you guys recommend getting with it?

Get DLC that adds mechanics/faiths/playable nations, the ruler designer and maybe the Aztec one if that's your thing so you can turn it on if you want it to happen. Skip the rest of the cosmetic stuff unless you really want it.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Iserlohn posted:

The ones that I would recommend getting are Legacy of Rome, Sword of Islam, The Old Gods, and The Republic.

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

RhoA posted:

The ones that I would recommend getting are Legacy of Rome, Sword of Islam, The Old Gods, and The Republic.

Sons of Abraham and Rajas of India are also good to have.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Morter posted:

So can someone inform me on the hype behind Strike Suit Zero? I even have the director's cut, and everything about this game just screams subpar early 2000s arcadey space sim. The gimmick is neat for a moment but by mission 3 (of 12 or 14?) I'm as bored as heck of both the gameplay and the story. What exactly was so fun that made everyone recommend it? :(

Every moment i spent playing SZS i just thought "Wow, i'd rather be playing Omega Boost right now" and i think that's the best solution to your problem.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Just noticed on the new releases list that Platinum's Legend of Korra game now has a store page. To reiterate for those who don't know: Platinum is the team that made both Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta, so if nothing else this game will probably have some pretty fun combat.

And here's an interview with the devs that shows off some of the gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRYc1p00m0

Ed:

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 6, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I see that Hitman Absolution is $5 at Greenmangaming today. I know that everyone mostly hates this game, but I was wondering about the online component. I played about half of it on console a while ago and I actually liked it quite a bit. I never got to check out the online stuff though, anyone have any experiences with it?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I see that Hitman Absolution is $5 at Greenmangaming today. I know that everyone mostly hates this game, but I was wondering about the online component. I played about half of it on console a while ago and I actually liked it quite a bit. I never got to check out the online stuff though, anyone have any experiences with it?

Isn't it just challenging your friends and making custom levels?

If you like hitman assolution and want more then go for it

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lance Streetman posted:

Just noticed on the new releases list that Platinum's Legend of Korra game now has a store page. To reiterate for those who don't know: Platinum is the team that made both Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta, so if nothing else this game will probably have some pretty fun combat.

And here's an interview with the devs that shows off some of the gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRYc1p00m0

Ed:

I want it.
I WANT IT. :stare:

I just hope it has a decent play length.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 6, 2014

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The online component is where someone plays through a level assassinating whatever targets they please under whatever conditions they please. They then challenge others to figure out how to do the same thing the same way. It's a neat concept in theory but I found myself getting bored with it after trying just a couple of the player-made contracts.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Deakul posted:

I want it.

It's unfortunately going to be pretty short. The developers have said that a first playthrough will take about 3 hours.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Peewi posted:

It's unfortunately going to be pretty short. The developers have said that a first playthrough will take about 3 hours.

That's pretty hosed up. Like, I know quality isn't equal to gametime, but three hours or so is REALLY a bad deal, even if the game is cool. A person could infer that there's probably no interesting storyline, and probably relatively simple gameplay mechanics. It sounds like it'll be nowhere near as entertaining as Revengeance.

What changes on later playthroughs besides bulletsponging the enemies and calling that newgame+?

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

I won the 100th Concurrent WOL Jabber Award and All I Got Was This Lousy Title!

Morter posted:

So can someone inform me on the hype behind Strike Suit Zero? I even have the director's cut, and everything about this game just screams subpar early 2000s arcadey space sim. The gimmick is neat for a moment but by mission 3 (of 12 or 14?) I'm as bored as heck of both the gameplay and the story. What exactly was so fun that made everyone recommend it? :(

I couldn't play more than 5 minutes. I quit as soon as I discovered that the controls and your aiming reticule changed behaviors depending on the camera mode you're in. :psyduck:

1st person: Plays like any old flight sim. You can roll and your aim will stay right were it's at.

3rd person: When you switch from 1st to 3rd, your reticule drops down from where it was at for some reason. You can no longer do a normal aileron roll, and instead do a weird barrel roll type thing that makes your aim move in a wide circle around a central point.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Palpek posted:

I only now started playing The Wolf Among Us and goddamn the setting and the story is great. If anybody was looking for an original setting and an intriguing plot for a videogame then this really owns. Imagine a noir story where the cast of characters are heroes from various fables like Snow White or Beauty and the Beast who live in the current-time New York hiding from people while a murder case starts among them.

The writing is really solid, as is the voice acting. Additionally the graphic novel visuals are fantastic and I dig the color palette way more than The Walking Dead. Pretty much a must-play. It's not much of an adventure game though, more of what I'd call what an actual interactive novel should be like.

Also:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Drifter posted:

That's pretty hosed up. Like, I know quality isn't equal to gametime, but three hours or so is REALLY a bad deal, even if the game is cool. A person could infer that there's probably no interesting storyline, and probably relatively simple gameplay mechanics. It sounds like it'll be nowhere near as entertaining as Revengeance.

What changes on later playthroughs besides bulletsponging the enemies and calling that newgame+?

IIRC they said it would be more like 4-6 hours, which is right around what MGR was (5 hours 1 minute is what I clocked in, I don't think that counts cutscenes though). And they said the reason to play NG+ is because, at certain points in the story, you lose access to certain bending styles, but in NG+ you'll have all your moves all the time. Plus there's the multiplayer Probending mode.

Semi-edit: They also said there's a difficulty for people who don't play action games much, and one for Platinum veterans, so the veteran difficulty might be longer because I would hope the encounters would have more enemies.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Drifter posted:

Hopefully it'll have a ton of replayability like Revengeance where you master the techniques and play on harder difficulties. After all MGR only took around 7 hours for a playthrough.
It's apparantly being priced at US$15 and due out on the 22nd October.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Humerus posted:

IIRC they said it would be more like 4-6 hours, which is right around what MGR was (5 hours 1 minute is what I clocked in, I don't think that counts cutscenes though). And they said the reason to play NG+ is because, at certain points in the story, you lose access to certain bending styles, but in NG+ you'll have all your moves all the time. Plus there's the multiplayer Probending mode.

Semi-edit: They also said there's a difficulty for people who don't play action games much, and one for Platinum veterans, so the veteran difficulty might be longer because I would hope the encounters would have more enemies.

Man, I really hope it's fun and has lots of replay value.
Also, holy gently caress pro-bending multiplayer mode PLEASE BE ONLINE OR LAN CAPABLE.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Hi Steam thread! I am looking for a recommendation. I need a game that I can play while grading papers. I would like a game that has the option of minimal input with audio cues that an event is happening so that I can come in and take over. I tried space sims, where I would set autopilot, but there's not a cue to let me know that I've reached my destination. The same problem occurs with games like CK2, except that I can't tell important events from non.

Is there anything like what I'm looking for? TYIA

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Do you like Tower Defense games at all?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Cookie Clicker

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
*Edit* Eh never mind, Civ doesn't really fit.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Peewi posted:

That's about what Revengeance lasts without dialogs and codecs, sounds perfectly fine for a Plat game.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Gorilla Radio posted:

Hi Steam thread! I am looking for a recommendation. I need a game that I can play while grading papers. I would like a game that has the option of minimal input with audio cues that an event is happening so that I can come in and take over. I tried space sims, where I would set autopilot, but there's not a cue to let me know that I've reached my destination. The same problem occurs with games like CK2, except that I can't tell important events from non.

Is there anything like what I'm looking for? TYIA

Farmville.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Luisfe posted:

That's about what Revengeance lasts without dialogs and codecs, sounds perfectly fine for a Plat game.

Yeah, I think Revengeance was around 4 hours or so without the cutscenes. If what the devs are saying is correct (4-6 hours), that's a fair chunk of game for a $15 action game.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Revengeance was far longer than 4-6 hours even without cutscenes, and 3 hours is fine for a $15 game you nincompoops.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Revengeance was far longer than 4-6 hours even without cutscenes, and 3 hours is fine for a $15 game you nincompoops.

If you were bad maybe. :smugbert:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Deakul posted:

I want it.

They should let you lift and launch enemies. Bouncing them off multiple walls will be a sell for me, so long as regenerating health is not a thing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Today I paid $12 for a movie ticket that only lasted two hours. What the gently caress, guys. Sony Pictures should be ashamed of themselves, DO NOT BUY.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pirate Jet posted:

Today I paid $12 for a movie ticket that only lasted two hours. What the gently caress, guys. Sony Pictures should be ashamed of themselves, DO NOT BUY.

And here we go. :can:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pirate Jet posted:

The theaters I go to let you stay for multiple showings. Too bad.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Occultatio posted:

Film rouge?

Neon Noir. :c00lbert:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The Wolf Among Us has a huge flaw, and it becomes very readily apparent after the first couple episodes: Your choices don't actually matter. It's still a beautiful game and tells an otherwise good story.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Almost like it's, a video game! :magical:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The Wolf Among Us has a huge flaw, and it becomes very readily apparent after the first couple episodes: Your choices don't actually matter. It's still a beautiful game and tells an otherwise good story.

Like The Walking Dead your choices don't affect the overall story but they most certainly do affect how the characters react to you. It's not as fluid as the first The Walking Dead game (and I doubt anything ever will be for some time unless Firewatch turns out to be that amazing, or even has that mechanic) but there's a pretty stark difference between the various kinds of Bigby you can play as.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TastyLemonDrops posted:

That's not a flaw, dude. As before, you change the NARRATIVE of certain aspects in a scene, but not the plot of a scene.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Pirate Jet posted:

Would you pay the same for a movie that was 20 minutes long?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I never cared that my choices only affect character development and not the overall plot. Same for The Walking Dead. I liked it a lot for what it was.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Overall, yeah, but your choices let interesting stuff happen.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

Like The Walking Dead your choices don't affect the overall story but they most certainly do affect how the characters react to you. It's not as fluid as the first The Walking Dead game (and I doubt anything ever will be for some time unless Firewatch turns out to be that amazing, or even has that mechanic) but there's a pretty stark difference between the various kinds of Bigby you can play as.
From all the talk about Firewatch it probably will have that mechanic, namely the relationship you have with Delilah, the protagonist's supervisor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Harminoff posted:

Would you pay the same for a movie that was 20 minutes long?

Why yes, I've bought episodes of TV shows on VHS before why do you ask?

• Locked thread