Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

He's a GiP dude who thinks Chris Pratt is hot and was talking about the new Brittney Spears album some time last year.

He also knows veteran poo poo. And is like BP to Marine buttholes.

Also, good taste in books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Edit: Reopened, stay on topic as this has been given the resource designation.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 4, 2014

wirefire
Feb 22, 2011
So I have about three weeks left until I sign out on terminal leave. I submitted my VA claim and they scheduled me for my VA exams here in El Paso before I leave. I already had the mandatory hearing exam and the physical. Just have the psych eval left.

At the VSO, the guy who helped prepare my claim persuaded me to put depression in my claim. It's documented in my medical file. But I haven't received any treatment for it since 2010-2011 time frame. When I first came in the Army, I was very depressed and self-referred to Behavioral Health for counseling. I was on Zoloft for a couple months but it made me so sleepy I couldn't stay awake in class.

I had never been treated for depression prior to the military. They psychologist I saw said I have dysthymia which is a less severe form of depression that never really goes away. Just everything in life is less enjoyable.

I have my VA psych appt on Monday and don't really know what to say.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just talk to them and be honest. Tell them what you've been diagnosed with and explain the situation. Congrats on getting out!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Health insurance for a non-OIF/OEF vet? What are my best vet-specific options?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

holocaust bloopers posted:

Health insurance for a non-OIF/OEF vet? What are my best vet-specific options?

Whatever your employer provides. I have access to VA but I use Aetna because my work has it, it's pretty good and coupled with my Aflac I rarely pay deductibles

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is the certificate for https://www.pay.va.gov/ normally hosed up like that? I need to pay them back the money they overpaid me before they break my knees. I'm already on hold on their listed telephone number but it's going to be a while.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Is the certificate for https://www.pay.va.gov/ normally hosed up like that? I need to pay them back the money they overpaid me before they break my knees. I'm already on hold on their listed telephone number but it's going to be a while.

It looks fine to me, is the clock on your PC correct?

dennis4167
Mar 30, 2008
I am rated 70% SCD. Am I eligible for CH 31 Voc Rehab?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

dennis4167 posted:

I am rated 70% SCD. Am I eligible for CH 31 Voc Rehab?

Yes.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
oops wrong thread!

Sarah fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 29, 2014

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Does anyone have any decent resources for the Altanta area to deal with the VA? I'm an NG veteran, deployed OIF 05-06, got out in 09, and I have had nothing but crappy service from the VA. My latest encounter, after years of not seeing them, was due to my being laid off from work and losing my insurance, so I needed a refill on my anti-depressants.

When I went down to my local VA clinic, despite calling up the nat'l number first and being told walking into get an emergency rX refill was not a problem, I was told to go to the ER.

This, despite my actually being in the VA system, even though I didn't have a PCP thru them. They also refused to actually talk to the doctor who prescribed my meds in the first place, and said they couldn't find the time or resources for a VA doctor to see me.

I was also told when talking on the main VA nat'l line that I would get a phone call back in less than seven business days to get an appointment. That was a week and a half ago. I'm going to grit my teeth and try calling them again tomorrow to see what's up.

It's really harsh, I suffer from pretty severe depression, and every time I've gone to the VA, it's gotten worse due to the complete lack of respect and treatment I get from people there. The only ones who give a poo poo are the other patients.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I got out of the ER yesterday at a Boston area regional VA hospital. Turns out my weeklong fever is due to strep throat. They were so professional and courteous. I really am grateful for getting free medical care from them, even if I am eligible for Masshealth. I can go to any VA hospital in the country and that's awesome.

Thalantos, I would say go to the ER at the regional hospital. You'll probably be in and out in a couple of hours. You have to get back in the system, PCP, regular appointments, and all that. You have to play their game to get your meds. Just what I think. The clinics are good for meeting your PCP and the national line is good for getting your paperwork type stuff in order, but everything else the regional hospitals are where it's at. Maybe that's inconvenient, I dunno. I live within 15 minutes from 2 somehow.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I got an unending stream of worthless bullshit both times I tried to get an ID card from the VA. Basically, gently caress them.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My last VA regional hospital left me stranded at a completely different hospital because they had to transfer me. Apparently they didn't have anyone who could do an ultrasound in their ER at 7:30 PM on a Tuesday.

Then they tried to dodge the bill and make me pay it.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Isn't going to the ER for a non-emergency thing the worst thing you could do since it ties up resources and time from the ER staff and is the reason why wait times at ERs are so heinous....

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Isn't going to the ER for a non-emergency thing the worst thing you could do since it ties up resources and time from the ER staff and is the reason why wait times at ERs are so heinous....

I hadn't eaten for 2 days because whenever i tried i threw it up within an hour due to throat irritation and nausea. Thought it was something stuck in my throat and unrelated, turns out was related. Went to urgent care at first regional hospital but they opened at 8 and i got there at 5am. Took a shuttle to second where all they had was 24/7 ER but no urgent care. I had never been to the ER on my own before.

And it's not the patient's job to assess whether they are going to tie up the system or not, or whether they should be seen at a lower or higher urgency, that's the hospital's job. The patient's responsibility is to report symptoms accurately. Funny you say that though. Same mindset that keeps veterans from applying for benefits.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tautologicus posted:

I hadn't eaten for 2 days because whenever i tried i threw it up within an hour due to throat irritation and nausea. Thought it was something stuck in my throat and unrelated, turns out was related. Went to urgent care at first regional hospital but they opened at 8 and i got there at 5am. Took a shuttle to second where all they had was 24/7 ER but no urgent care. I had never been to the ER on my own before.

And it's not the patient's job to assess whether they are going to tie up the system or not, or whether they should be seen at a lower or higher urgency, that's the hospital's job. The patient's responsibility is to report symptoms accurately. Funny you say that though. Same mindset that keeps veterans from applying for benefits.

not eating for 2 days sounds like a visit to the ER was warranted. I was referring to the practice of going to the ER for things that were clearly not emergencies. When I was back in the states they suggested I go to the ER to receive a walking cane and an appointment to a podiatrist for example.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

not eating for 2 days sounds like a visit to the ER was warranted. I was referring to the practice of going to the ER for things that were clearly not emergencies. When I was back in the states they suggested I go to the ER to receive a walking cane and an appointment to a podiatrist for example.

Oh I see why you said that now. Yea it's basically the only way to get seen quickly at the VA in most places I think. A workaround to the bloated system to the point that even employees need to work around the bloated system. That's the sense I get.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
VA treatment centers have ERs?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Thalantos posted:

There are some VA hospitals that do have ERs across the country. There's one about 2 hours from where I live. If it was within a close enough distance, I'd have to use it for all emergency treatment. Since it's forever away, anything outside of the VA outpatient clinic here can be done at an ER at no cost to me so long as it is a legitimate emergency. Basically if it's something that can't wait to go sit at the VA clinic sick call in the morning, it's covered.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Thalantos posted:

Yep! I've had the pleasure of going to one on a Saturday. About an hour drive. Was better to just drive there than call the VA number and have an ER visit approved. I was told when I first enrolled at the VA that if I wanted to go to the ER I had to call and get their permission and then it would be decided later if it would be covered. So yeah, hour drive much better than possibly getting hit with a bill.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can't imagine that's correct. Even for the VA.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
It's in the guide book she gave me somewhere. I am not service connected, I got accepted as a PATIENT after being out 1 year on low income.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 17, 2014

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Sarah posted:

It's in the guide book she gave me somewhere. I am not service connected, I got accepted as a patent after being out 1 year on low income.

congrats on being a patent

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
haha, this is what not sleeping for two days gets me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I didn't know it wasn't an emergency at the time. Also I was the only person in the waiting room at the ER.

Still took an hour to see me.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I just wanted to share with everyone my quick story, and to let everyone who's been waiting, there is hope.

I served in the Air Force from '84 to '94. During that time I injured my back playing football on base, and was also the victim of a rather severe unprovoked physical assault from a fellow Airman in the dormitory, which later contributed to symptoms that were diagnosed as PTSD, with possible traumatic brain injury.

After getting out in '94, I applied for VA C&P and was declined, for chronic lower back pain. I was advised to see a civilian doctor, obtain an MRI to prove tissue damage (as opposed to the x-ray the VA took and used as evidence that I did not have a back injury) and the imaging, along with the civilian doctor's notes contradicted the VA's results, and I was awarded 10% service connection, which I appealed for and received an increase to 20%.

In 2002 I began having severe pain in my neck, which lead to nerve problems in my right arm and chronic migraines. An MRI to my neck revealed 2 severely ruptured discs. I had surgery to remove the discs and fuse the 3 vertebrae, and dealt with chronic pain for years, until in 2009 I remembered the assault and made the connection between it and a probable cause of my neck damage. So I submitted a claim, for an increase in my percentage for lower back pain which was getting worse, and to seek service connection for my neck. It wasn't until I spoke to a psychologist that PTSD was also revealed to be a result of that assault. My claim was of course denied, and 4 years later- after many therapy sessions, pharmaceutical trials with psyche meds and bad side effects, and appointments with doctors, I have had my paltry 20% increased to 80%, retroactive 4 years.

DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE. DO NOT LET THE VA WIN BY GETTING FRUSTRATED. PERSIST UNTIL YOU GET WHAT IS YOURS.

Good luck, my brothers and sisters in arms- you will prevail.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Splatmaster posted:

I just wanted to share with everyone my quick story, and to let everyone who's been waiting, there is hope.

I served in the Air Force from '84 to '94. During that time I injured my back playing football on base, and was also the victim of a rather severe unprovoked physical assault from a fellow Airman in the dormitory, which later contributed to symptoms that were diagnosed as PTSD, with possible traumatic brain injury.

After getting out in '94, I applied for VA C&P and was declined, for chronic lower back pain. I was advised to see a civilian doctor, obtain an MRI to prove tissue damage (as opposed to the x-ray the VA took and used as evidence that I did not have a back injury) and the imaging, along with the civilian doctor's notes contradicted the VA's results, and I was awarded 10% service connection, which I appealed for and received an increase to 20%.

In 2002 I began having severe pain in my neck, which lead to nerve problems in my right arm and chronic migraines. An MRI to my neck revealed 2 severely ruptured discs. I had surgery to remove the discs and fuse the 3 vertebrae, and dealt with chronic pain for years, until in 2009 I remembered the assault and made the connection between it and a probable cause of my neck damage. So I submitted a claim, for an increase in my percentage for lower back pain which was getting worse, and to seek service connection for my neck. It wasn't until I spoke to a psychologist that PTSD was also revealed to be a result of that assault. My claim was of course denied, and 4 years later- after many therapy sessions, pharmaceutical trials with psyche meds and bad side effects, and appointments with doctors, I have had my paltry 20% increased to 80%, retroactive 4 years.

DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE. DO NOT LET THE VA WIN BY GETTING FRUSTRATED. PERSIST UNTIL YOU GET WHAT IS YOURS.

Good luck, my brothers and sisters in arms- you will prevail.

:911:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
So my C&P has been reset to gathering of evidence, is past its projected completion date, and they are currently seeking additional information about claims I put in. I have not ever been scheduled to have an examination and have moved across the country for school. My present concern that the regional office that is handling my claim (New Orleans) is a bunch of fucklords and they are just going to continue to bounce my claim between gathering of evidence and pending approval without ever scheduling me an examination. Is this the point where I need to contact the VFW or whomever to get a third party veterans organization to petition on my behalf, or is this the typical glacial pace of filing a C&P claim after you've already been separated?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kawasaki Nun posted:

So my C&P has been reset to gathering of evidence, is past its projected completion date, and they are currently seeking additional information about claims I put in. I have not ever been scheduled to have an examination and have moved across the country for school. My present concern that the regional office that is handling my claim (New Orleans) is a bunch of fucklords and they are just going to continue to bounce my claim between gathering of evidence and pending approval without ever scheduling me an examination. Is this the point where I need to contact the VFW or whomever to get a third party veterans organization to petition on my behalf, or is this the typical glacial pace of filing a C&P claim after you've already been separated?

I learned recently that you can use the DBQ forms available on the VA website and go to a private doctor, or even your VA PCP, and get it filled out in lieu of an examination. It is considered in the same way. I think that's what I am going to do, I am in kind of the same boat as you.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I'm at 258 days since I filed my claim and I'm still waiting on my loving C&P.

Hopefully contacting my senator has lit a fire under it. At least I'm going to get a shitton of backpay when they finally deny my claim and I appeal it successfully in 2021.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Tautologicus posted:

I learned recently that you can use the DBQ forms available on the VA website and go to a private doctor, or even your VA PCP, and get it filled out in lieu of an examination. It is considered in the same way. I think that's what I am going to do, I am in kind of the same boat as you.

Do you have a link? I fortunately have health insurance through my university so with any luck I can just attach this poo poo and expedite this loving awful process.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Do you have a link? I fortunately have health insurance through my university so with any luck I can just attach this poo poo and expedite this loving awful process.
http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_ListByDBQFormName.asp

Seems almost too good to be true for me but the va rep on the 800 line said thats how it worked and the website says it too. Who knows how the raters see it but i am just gonna go for it. I just qualified for MassHealth thank jesus

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Bolow posted:

So I just got a call from the VA office I filed my quick-start claim from almost 2 years ago and they just told me they lost my actual claim paper work (again) and need me to fax a copy of the one they gave me. Now I'm almost 100% positive they didn't even give me a copy of my claim paperwork, although they still have my med records and I'm in the computer system. I've kept every thing from TAPS onward in a filing cabinet. So if I can't conjure this poo poo out of ether what the hell is going to happen to my already overdue claim?

1. you have a decent amount of time to get the paperwork in, and since they have a record of you filing your claim it would be very hard for them to deny you based on late filing.

2. late claim isn't that big a deal, you'll get back pay. I had to do mine really late because I found out the week before I separated that I was pregnant and had to delay everything until after the kid was born. One way or another, you'll get the money.

3. Check and see if your local state bar has a military and veteran's law section...a lot do, and a lot have attorneys willing to help with claim processing pro bono. Also check you state VA. The State VA reps have a much lighter case load and are a lot more diligent. I dealt with 2 of them because I moved after separating and both were awesome. Way better than trying to sort it all out myself.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
If a home isn't VA home loan approved is that a red flag that it's poo poo?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Alas Boobylon posted:

If a home isn't VA home loan approved is that a red flag that it's poo poo?

Generally speaking, yes, but it really does matter why the home fails the VA inspection. There are some criteria that might not matter as much to you or could be easily remedied.

You can take a look at the VA Minimum Property requirements here: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=26-7c12VALH.pdf

If you are looking at buying a house that isn't VA home loan approved, it'd be best to find out why before you move forward on making an offer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's almost certainly a piece of poo poo.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
is it possible that the home hasn't had a VA inspection, but would pass if it had an inspection? im looking at a condo, the realtor says she'd check to see if its VA approved, she says it isnt. so does that mean it hasn't passed or it can't pass.

she's also beckoning me towards condos that are approved, should i just say gently caress this condo and move on to them? or would it be possible for her to contact the seller and see if they can do the inspection and see if they pass (assuming they haven't already failed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Alas Boobylon posted:

is it possible that the home hasn't had a VA inspection, but would pass if it had an inspection? im looking at a condo, the realtor says she'd check to see if its VA approved, she says it isnt. so does that mean it hasn't passed or it can't pass.

she's also beckoning me towards condos that are approved, should i just say gently caress this condo and move on to them? or would it be possible for her to contact the seller and see if they can do the inspection and see if they pass (assuming they haven't already failed).

It is possible that your realtor is just saying it isn't VA approved because it hasn't had a VA inspection yet and she just doesn't want to wait for it to get done. In some areas there are only a couple VA approved inspectors and it can take awhile to get the inspection done.

More than likely you'd have to make an offer, get in contract, then pay for the inspection yourself if you want to get it done. However you can ask your realtor to ask the sellers if they have had any inspections done and try to get a copy of the inspection report. You can also take a look at the sellers disclosure to see if there is anything glaringly wrong on that.

• Locked thread