Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can assure you he is not Dane Cook, although theres a joke about his slapshot hitting harder than Dane cooks punch lines somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So not hard at all? Harsh, dude.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Just got back from my first league game, after 3ish months of drop-ins and some team exhibitions (and 1-2 years before that of almost nothing). I played wing all through the exhibitions but went back on D for this game.

I was either 0 or +1 in a 6-3 loss, but had a nice assist. Knocked a clear down at the blue line and put it on net, just high enough and just wide enough for a winger at the far post to make a beauty 90° deflection past the goalie.

Nobody thought to figure out the beer situation, and apparently it's somewhat common here for guys to just bring 1-2 tallboys for themselves after games? I turned out to save the day by stopping at the liquor store on the way to the rink to pick up a just-in-case case.

I will not allow such disorganization again.

D C posted:

Look what my parents just dug up!

Wonder how many people have hit both those milestones within 3 months of eachother?

When I was growing up we'd routinely just shuffle who was in net since nobody was old enough to "be goalie" at that point (aka no parents wanted to commit to the purchase when their kid would out-grow the pads in a few months). That was about "first goal" age.

Getting a shutout was pretty much impossible, though. :hfive: I saw to that with a few beaut own-goal snipes.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I was playing goal because our goalie was suspended 3 games for punching a kid in the head with his blocker. He got suspended a few times a year, I was the teams backup goalie because I had played a bit and I had gear.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Pleads posted:

When I was growing up we'd routinely just shuffle who was in net since nobody was old enough to "be goalie" at that point (aka no parents wanted to commit to the purchase when their kid would out-grow the pads in a few months). That was about "first goal" age.

Getting a shutout was pretty much impossible, though. :hfive: I saw to that with a few beaut own-goal snipes.
Same thing here. I played 2 games, 1-1-0. I think I was probably like 8 or 10 or something like that. Goalie wasn't for me by my brother ended up being a really good goalie.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
The first time I ever played goalie I was like 11 and our goalie couldn't show up at the very last minute. I was the one person willing to put on goalie pads, so we just put our two best kids on D and they kept me to barely any shots all game, it was fun

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Scored off a face-off today. Cleanest win I think I've ever had. Goalie wasn't even set yet at just said "Aw gently caress!" as the puck rolled between his legs. It was for the hattie as well. :feelsgood:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Looks like I'm going to suit up for my first game in two weeks. Having only been to 4 stick times, I think I'm going to get demolished.

Time to learn by throwing myself in the deep end! :haw:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
A while back, a guy who is not the best skater tried to stand me up at the blue line in no-check pickup hockey. I had my head up, so i was able to avoid most of the unexpected hit, but still went down. After the game I told him that was not cool, someone is going to get hurt doing that poo poo.

A few weeks ago, he did it again, this time intentionally clipping me as I was going around him. I landed on my hip and its still purple three weeks later. I told him that that poo poo was not cool, and that it was coming back as soon as I get a clean chance.

Last night he attempted to skate out of his zone with the puck. Shoulder to shoulder, clean. Hopefully the message was delivered that this poo poo needs to stop.

This is only time I have ever purposely checked someone. Feels good man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because I'm a complete dumbass I stuck my foot out in front of a half-slapper and it nailed me right in the ankle, below the knobby part. Didn't bruise at all but it took about five minutes before I could feel my toes again, and two days later my toes still tingle whenever I walk around. I keep doing stupid poo poo like that, it's completely involuntary and even as I'm throwing parts of my body into the path of the puck I'm telling myself I should let the goalie take the shot because he's the one with the proper pads on.

I guess the two years of soccer goalie I played as a little kid stuck with me? I really need to do a better job squashing it.

It was against the team that booted me off last spring too.. it's barely even the same team anymore. Most of the dickweeds that wanted to play like the pros have splintered off into other teams at other rinks, leaving behind a decent group of beginners and intermediates.. made for a pretty fun game. We ended up losing but it was a one goal game and we were getting plenty of chances to score, just no favorable bounces. Those are the most fun no matter what side you're on.

Some of them stopped to chat and tried to apologize for how things were handled, which is kind of cool even though it ended up being for the best as the new team is a million times more fun.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
To be honest the slapper to the skate is just part of the game. Just like falling directly on your hip and not being able to sleep on that side for a week

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Always face the puck. All your protection is in front of your body so facing the puck is the best way to avoid being hurt. Using your foot to stop a shot and catching the puck on the inside of your foot is a great way to break bones that will hurt for a while and gently caress with your mobility.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the information my brain knows, but I've had trouble using it in a game. I see a puck flying and instinct takes over.

Upside is I've triggered a good number of breakaways doing it but it doesn't seem like a smart way to preserve my body.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Birthday win, birthday goal, birthday beer, birthday flu.

3 outta 4 ain't bad.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Hatty with my hosed up new skates. Hoping Easton will fix them with some new steel or an upgrade, they are 3 weeks old. First hatty in a while, goalies five hole was grand canyon size.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What is wrong with your skates?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I also got a hatty tonight, my first. The opposing goalie was having a rough night, my second goal was a short handed dump in from behind the center line that he mishandled.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

I also got a hatty tonight, my first. The opposing goalie was having a rough night, my second goal was a short handed dump in from behind the center line that he mishandled.

Giving your own goalie poo poo for letting those in owns.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I prefer to outright bodycheck my own goalie when he doesn't know what to do with the puck.

Case in point, my goalie in my skate out league went out to the faceoff circle to play the puck, and I was charging in to pick it up with a guy at my heels. He held onto it forever, even after I repeatedly shouted "DROP IT OR CORNER". We decides to step into my path and play it off the boards, like stepping right into the path of me. I loving bowl him over, and then realize "oh poo poo my goalie's out of the net and out of position", so in my own goalie instinct I play the angle and stand in the net, the follow up shot deflects off my left leg and into my returning goalie and he freezes it. At the period intermission we chat about it and I say "look, if it's close, play it behind the net or into the corner, don't wait for me to bodycheck you because you can't get rid of the puck".

Since then my goalie has always stopped the puck and played it immediately away from the net. I'm sure he's afraid I'm gonna throw my shoulder into his head the next time he hesitates.

Gotta train your goalies.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
I hadn't scored in months so going into last night's game I got a little superstitious and decided to use my old stick. I scored a goal. Feels good.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Most of the goalies that I've played with are emotionally fragile enough that it would probably be Tuuka Time if I poked fun at them after a fuckup that bad.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I scored the worst goal last night. Came across the blue line, went to put a shot on net from about the top of the circle (because I was a pinching defenseman and wanted back into position). Hit the D's shin pads and bounced into his feet, so I took a poke-chop at it while driving the net. I stopped up at the goal line, and was able to watch the puck dribble past the goalie on the far side. I beat the puck to the net and it still went in.

We basically lost on penalties, it was like 5 or 6 to 1 for powerplays and they were letting things go against us that we were getting called for a minute later. Very frustrating. Didn't help the other team had two guys who had played Junior A or B last year and they were basically on the ice for 3/4ths of the game.

The only powerplay we had was with about 1:30 left in a one-goal game. I got beat to the net by one of their forwards who was about 6 inches taller, 50 pounds heavier after a turnover. He flubbed the pass in the slot, and angled slightly to go to the corner to chase it. I shoved him in the back towards our crease, he decided to slew-foot our goalie on the way through, and our goalie went down a little easy to complete the perfect trifecta of a drawn goalie interference call. He looked at me as he was going to the box, but we lost anyways so he just smirked in the handshake line.

Nobody brought beer. I was very disappointed in the team.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No beer? You guys gotta get your poo poo together.

My team designates who brings the beer when they send out the roster before each game. That way there's no confusion.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Has anyone seen this before? Looks interesting enough.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1480768912/the-airblade-a-revolution-in-ice-hockey-sticks

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I feel like this is the third or fourth "new miracle stick breakthrough" kickstarter I've seen

e: hahahah holy poo poo that Boston accent

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that got a quick CTRL+W

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

If it wasn't more expensive than a high-end Easton or Bauer I might give it a go. But that's just too much for an unknown quality.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Caaahbin spworts hawk ee stick

What an endorsement. "Hey, lets find some washed up alcoholic pro willing to give a testimonial in exchange for a case of PBR"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw that kickstarter somewhere last week, and most people talking crap about it said the problem would be the lack of a foam core, which is funny because the kickstarter claims that this is actually an advantage.

Argument being is that the core is actually necessary to deaden the hits a bit, otherwise it's like bouncing quarters off concrete.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xzzy posted:

No beer? You guys gotta get your poo poo together.
I brought it last game and then posted on the team Facebook asking for someone to volunteer and nobody did.

Super unimpressed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why someone needs to be assigned to do it, it's the entire reason for showing up. No beer, no one has fun playing hockey.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
What's it called when a beer league contains no beer?

Trying too hard. :rimshot:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
First practice for my new league tonight and I'm crazy excited. I haven't skated since graduating and leaving Ithaca back in December, and I don't really know anything about this league other than that it is huge (8 divisions, christ). Hope my team is cool

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Floorball Stick

I know, I know, I know.

Just sayin', though.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

sellouts posted:

What is wrong with your skates?
They have the design where there are little cut outs in the blades. So, what ends up happening is the center of the blade only connects at about an inch length. Didnt seem like a problem, but now the blade on one keeps popping out and to the right. Local hockey store suggested contacting Easton, so I am in process with that.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i would be pretty embarrassed to use a wiffle stick

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
My body hurts

I haven't skated since December and tonight we had a team practice that basically turned into a 5 on 5 pick up game (and then 4 on 5 and 4 on 4 as people just couldn't keep skating). It seems like I always keep skating as if I still have all that muscle mass and endurance i used to because I tired myself the gently caress out tonight

But it was great and I can't wait for the season to start in 2 weeks, ahhh

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The Tron elite 4 roll style gloves came yesterday. I have to admit for $60/2 pair I'm impressed with the build quality and feel. They feel really similar to my Easton EQs while not having a few of the leather details, they are still pretty comfortable and give me the same amount of range of motion. I'll skate with them tomorrow night and see how they feel in a game.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last night I retired my pants that have been in service since 1995. New pants are so tight and full of padding I don't even know. Since my old pants were so torn up and loose it was basically like wearing a skirt I think I have some getting used to on the horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Gio posted:

i would be pretty embarrassed to use a wiffle stick

Just tape over it and no one will know!