Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Harminoff posted:

Would you pay the same for a movie that was 20 minutes long?

I find that argument a bit like the downloading bears or cars argument. It may sound related but it's really just a silly deflective strawman or whatever name that thing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Why yes, I've bought episodes of TV shows on VHS before why do you ask?

I have a copy of the pilot of SG-1 on VHS somewhere in a box, and while it is an hour and a half long, it's still really scary to me that I did that at some point.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there any word on the graphical improvements in the Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition? I'm thinking about dropping the $15 for the upgrade from the standard version before the deal expires this week, but I already have the Kung Fu movie DLC (forget the name of it) and if the change won't be that different I might just replay the base game again.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The Wolf Among Us has a huge flaw, and it becomes very readily apparent after the first couple episodes: Your choices don't actually matter. It's still a beautiful game and tells an otherwise good story.
I'm led to understand that's not actually a flaw, but in fact a deliberate meta-commentary on the art of video-games by incredibly capable storytellers.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I never cared that my choices only affect character development and not the overall plot. Same for The Walking Dead. I liked it a lot for what it was.

Yeah, this is a complaint that never sat well with me about The Walking Dead. Your choices do matter, they just don't branch the actual plot in any real way. It's fine to not like that, but it drove me up the wall to see people claiming that Telltale lied or that it was all smoke and mirrors. It wasn't. Your choices dictate the kind of character you're playing and how other characters in the world react to you. It's different from how something like a Bioware RPG does decision points, but it's still a completely valid way to give some meaningful control to the player.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Harminoff posted:

This analogy doesn't help your argument because complaining that a $15 video game was 3 hours long is an insane thing that crybabies do.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

explosivo posted:

Is there any word on the graphical improvements in the Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition? I'm thinking about dropping the $15 for the upgrade from the standard version before the deal expires this week, but I already have the Kung Fu movie DLC (forget the name of it) and if the change won't be that different I might just replay the base game again.

So far the only upgrade version of any game that's worth it that I've looked at is Metro 2033 to Metro 2033 Redux because that tweaked a lot more than some graphics and integrated the DLC. The updated Deus Ex: Human Revolution was arguably worth it since I only paid $5 for it and it did make some gameplay changes. So while I can't speak specifically for the new Sleeping Dogs version releasing a "definitive version" of games simply seems to be a way for publishers to get people who already bought the game buy it again for minimal improvements (and sell it to a new platform, of course). Probably not worth it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kibayasu posted:

Probably not worth it.

I was thinking the same thing from looking at the page. Thanks!

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

explosivo posted:

I did some digging as I am interested in this too, and found this at http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/pre-order-sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-now

"Now I know that a fair few PC gamers are asking what the difference between the Definitive Edition and the original game with an HD textures pack is - here's your answer: we've redone a lot more than just the textures. We've also reworked character faces, added particle and ambient effects such as volumetric fog. Furthermore, the draw distances have been substantially improved and the gameplay has seen a lot of tweaking. Things that might have been too easy or difficult have been rejigged. Additional breakable enviroment objects have also been introduced so you can have more fun tossing enemy thugs around. On top of all these technical improvements, you've also got the added bonus of almost all previously released DLC packs - that includes outfits, cars and extra story-extending content that amounts to over three hours of additional story gameplay."

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Pirate Jet posted:

This analogy doesn't help your argument because complaining that a $15 video game was 3 hours long is an insane thing that crybabies do.

Eh, if a game can only be played for 3 hours before you've seen everything, it has to be really good to be worth any money since games usually have a learning and experimentation period. The sweet point is usually 6-10 for linear single player game.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Harminoff posted:

If it was a good movie, definitely.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

Eh, if a game can only be played for 3 hours before you've seen everything, it has to be really good to be worth any money since games usually have a learning and experimentation period. The sweet point is usually 6-10 for linear single player game.

Practically no $15 game in the universe takes 3 hours to 100%.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
So this game called Styx: Master of Shadows is coming out on Steam tomorrow, haven't heard anything about it but it seems pretty neat. It's suppose to be tied lore-wise with Of Orcs and Men, and it's from the same studio. The gameplay makes it look a bit like a more on-rails Dishonored with you playing as a goblin. Has anyone been keeping up with it and should anything be expected of this?

Here's the release trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pacPaPfCbXs

Here's some gameplay footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDZF-jIhhbk

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Tezzeract posted:

It's a Platinum game. It'll be short, but VERY replayable.

Hell wasn't there someone on this or the previous page that mentions that on regular playthrough you have to unlock the bending skills, while in NG+ you get to use them unlocked all the time?
If so that sounds like it'll last more than 3 hours.

(Again, Revengeance, the basegame can be done within 4 hours, it is still a fantastic game and well worth full price.)

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Tezzeract posted:

Really depends if that short game was padded to hell or not, like I could never get into HL2 between those unskippable cutscenes/sequences or driving in the dumb boat through more canals.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kibayasu posted:

So far the only upgrade version of any game that's worth it that I've looked at is Metro 2033 to Metro 2033 Redux because that tweaked a lot more than some graphics and integrated the DLC. The updated Deus Ex: Human Revolution was arguably worth it since I only paid $5 for it and it did make some gameplay changes. So while I can't speak specifically for the new Sleeping Dogs version releasing a "definitive version" of games simply seems to be a way for publishers to get people who already bought the game buy it again for minimal improvements (and sell it to a new platform, of course). Probably not worth it.

Metro 2033 Redux had the best dick move/curve ball I've ever seen for people who completed the original and knew what to expect in all the normal content. :allears:

There's a section in D6 where you're cutoff from your teammates. As soon as it starts, a plated nosalis attacks you. It's one of three, and they are the only plated nosalises in the game. In Redux? loving spiderbugs took over, the only returning LL enemy.

Also all the I WANT TO BELIEVE (Metro 2035) posters.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Of Orcs and Men was AWFUL.

I enjoyed the Game of Thrones rpg in every way, but the combat and other gameplay, not to mention the level design, for Orcs felt worse and more limited. The writing/conversations were boring at best. It was not a good game, and for real that's not a dev I would ever pay any amount of money to again.

As for Pirate Jet, 100% a game? If you're conflating collecting every last doobymahick with 'seeing everything' then you're just wrong. Item collection is repetition - it's the single player version of MMO grinding. That's not really the point of the conversation, though.

Some people are looking at the Avatar game with the assumption that it has some sort of cinematic story and neat level design - similar to Revengeance -, rather than simply pushing you through like a Street Fighter type game. People who want a straight and plain fighter have no problem with that length of game time; you could beat Street Fighter or MOrtal Kombat in about 45 minutes if you knew how things worked. People wanting a less straight Final Fight brawler know that 3 hours including gameplay and exploration and dialog and other Avatar IP things leads to a very underdeveloped game. Generally games that are these skill-based combat things take a certain amount of time to explore certain gameplay processes.

So, 15 dollars and three hours for an expectation that it 'be like the cartoon' might be worth it if your expectations are that it be like 2013's Karateka, or it may be woefully inadequate if your expectations are that it give you an interesting look into the characters and setting of the Avatar universe, the way Revengeance did.

But whatever it is, if it is anywhere near as engrossing as Revengeance, then gently caress yeah I wanna play it. And Metal Gear took me about 9 hours to beat. I listened to all the dialog and conversations with everybody. :allears:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 6, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

Of Orcs and Men was AWFUL.

I enjoyed the Game of Thrones rpg in every way, but the combat and other gameplay, not to mention the level design, for Orcs felt worse and more limited. The writing/conversations were boring at best. It was not a good game, and for real that's not a dev I would ever pay any amount of money to again.

Of Orcs And Men is pretty much the low point of Spiders, even in a catalogue that includes Mars: War Logs. Though I'm also kind of confused as to what games are actually Spiders games because games I thought were from them were listed as "Cyanide Studios - Spiders" or just "Cyanide Studios." In any case, assuming Styx is Spiders, their games are purely middle market. You're never going to get something absolutely amazing but what you are probably going to get something that works well enough to be entertaining, just wrapped in ugly packaging. There might even a few diamonds hiding where you think "This is a really well designed thing to find in a $20-$40 game." Bound by Flame, for example, actually had a really good customization system. Styx is unique in that this appears to be their first foray into a stealth game, outside of some sections in the aforementioned Of Orcs And Men, so maybe it'll turn out that they're really good at stealth, maybe it'll turn out like Orcs, but more likely is that it'll turn out like most of their other games.

It goes without saying that you shouldn't pre-order anything, and that goes double for something from Spiders, but their games are always something you want to keep an eye on after the reviews are in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

First time I hear about this game but the gameplay looks really good and as you said reminds me a lot of Dishonored. I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, that actually looks pretty solid. Hoping it ends up being good.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probably won't, but I'll stream it/let you know.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Murder Chimp looks decent.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
If $15 for a 3 hour game is going to make you go ":negative:" then just wait until it's 75% off in a year. Do you guys even steam sale? And yeah, MGR was about 4 hours but platinum games are pretty fun and generally very replayable games with little filler. :shrug:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The Wolf Among Us has a huge flaw, and it becomes very readily apparent after the first couple episodes: Your choices don't actually matter. It's still a beautiful game and tells an otherwise good story.

The first episode of TWAU is really bad to judge the game by because it is the best episode. The ending was terrible.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I did some digging as I am interested in this too, and found this at http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/pre-order-sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-now

"Now I know that a fair few PC gamers are asking what the difference between the Definitive Edition and the original game with an HD textures pack is - here's your answer: we've redone a lot more than just the textures. We've also reworked character faces, added particle and ambient effects such as volumetric fog. Furthermore, the draw distances have been substantially improved and the gameplay has seen a lot of tweaking. Things that might have been too easy or difficult have been rejigged. Additional breakable enviroment objects have also been introduced so you can have more fun tossing enemy thugs around. On top of all these technical improvements, you've also got the added bonus of almost all previously released DLC packs - that includes outfits, cars and extra story-extending content that amounts to over three hours of additional story gameplay."

From watching the YouTube ad, it includes all the story DLC (so the '70s kung fu one, but also Nightmare in North Point with jiangshi/hopping zombie vampires, and Year of the Snake which has lots of cop fun.) The cop one has a funny side mission with pork bun guy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Project Zomboid. Yay or nay? (I am checking out the demo for myself). Also does it have a thread, I'm scanning games but can't find one?

e: mainly I'm concerned about nonobvious early-access warning signs that everything's going to fall apart with the project.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 6, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Alchenar posted:

e: mainly I'm concerned about nonobvious early-access warning signs that everything's going to fall apart with the project.

Zomboid as in the project that had to be restarted once or twice because they didn't do backups and their place got broken into and their dev machines stolen?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I could understand people getting annoyed at a $50 game lasting 3 hours but $15 is more than a fair price for it, I'd say it's even cheaper than expected so :qq:.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

monster on a stick posted:

The first episode of TWAU is really bad to judge the game by because it is the best episode. The ending was terrible.

Oh, I know that. I was so seriously hype about it when I first started (a week or so before the final episode came out), but the more I played, the more disappointed I got. And this is why:

Kibayasu posted:

but there's a pretty stark difference between the various kinds of Bigby you can play as.

There was exactly one instance in all five episodes where I felt the decisions I made up to that point resulted in that particular situation: After teaming up with the Woodsman to take down the Jersey Devil, Bigby and the Woodsman have a poignant chat and leave on maybe amicable terms. Don't ruin my fond memories of the game and tell me that this would have happened no matter my decisions. Even if you play Good Guy Bigby, everybody hates you. You are shoehorned into the role of the Big Bad Wolf because the game is basically a prequel for the comics, and there's already a set storyline for those.

I am perfectly okay with the game itself. What I'm not okay with is Telltale claiming that your choices matter in the game, when they very clearly don't.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Zomboid as in the project that had to be restarted once or twice because they didn't do backups and their place got broken into and their dev machines stolen?

Oh I knew there was something scratching at the back of my head to prompt me to ask that question.

aba
Oct 2, 2013
I've started and beaten main campaign of Shadow of Mordor during the weekend and I have few points:

1) First half is fairly easy if you've played Batman/AssCreed games before because with few differences:
a) You do not have a lot of health, so you can die fairly quickly, BUT =>
b) You can counter/dodge everything and enemy cannot really hit you (you don't even need to time it very precisely).
(I've met my first captain in about 4 minutes after 4 stealth kills in a game when I didn't know what to expect and I utterly destroyed him).
c) Max critical strike (+3 from precise attack/counter), lower combo limit from 8x to 5x, and have two combat finishers from one combo as soon as possible to became unstoppable.

2) Then second world happens. When you think that you can kill 3 captains with groups of their supporters head on with no sweat and there is no warchief you couldn't kill in duel in 20 seconds, the game gives you Brand ability.
a) I've killed almost no one since I've got combat brand and I usually end every fight with an army of followers.
b) It's a lot harder to brand 3 captains in a single fight then to kill them, but the satisfaction is a lot higher, because you feel more involved in shaping the world.

I love the fighting system, the freedom, and making captains and warchiefs my slaves. And Nemesis systems makes it nicely personal with wise-cracking from (soon to be dead) enemies.

aba fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 6, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How the hell are guys beating Revengeance in 3 or 4 hours? Did you even listen to all the dialog? Did you call the people whenever you could?

Or do you just blindly escape out of any and all spoken words and just sword-dash your way through the game? Blech, that would be so boring to me. That's be like soloing Binary Domain or muting Bulletstorm. Half the awesome are the cool conversations and stuff.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drifter posted:

How the hell are guys beating Revengeance in 3 or 4 hours? Did you even listen to all the dialog? Did you call the people whenever you could?

Or do you just blindly escape out of any and all spoken words and just sword-dash your way through the game? Blech, that would be so boring to me. That's be like soloing Binary Domain or muting Bulletstorm. Half the awesome are the cool conversations and stuff.

They're talking about Legend of Korra.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No they weren't, though Drifter is kinda missing the point of the comparison.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Drifter posted:

The game's in-game clock doesn't record time during cutscenes or codec calls. The actual gameplay time was about 3-4 hours or so.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lance Streetman posted:

The game's in-game clock doesn't record time during cutscenes or codec calls. The actual gameplay time was about 3-4 hours or so.

Oh. I've only ever really used my steam time (minus idling for cards and poo poo) listed in the Library. Fair enough.

Manatee Cannon posted:

No they weren't, though Drifter is kinda missing the point of the comparison.
How so?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The clock also doesn't keep track of do-overs you've done yourself (i.e. not retrying after a death).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My gameplay time for MGR:R says 24 hours and that's multiple runs and the extra episodes before I called it done and I know there's a whole lot I still didnt do, and I'll definitely go back to.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I hope they cut out the actual "free money/triad xp/cop xp" DLC packs or let you disable them though.
I needed an excuse to play through SleepyDogs again and this sounds like a good one!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Zedd posted:

I hope they cut out the actual "free money/triad xp/cop xp" DLC packs or let you disable them though.
I needed an excuse to play through SleepyDogs again and this sounds like a good one!

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't, hence the "almost all previously released DLC packs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Zedd posted:

I thought Steam added an update that lets you disable DLC whenever you wanted it to. Does it not work when you try it for SD?

• Locked thread