Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PDP's face cam has most of its use in horror games where he can make wild overreactions every time anything vaguely jump-inducing happens for the sake of comedy. You see this in pretty much every face cam usage with horror games.

I feel like a face cam ends up making the LP less about the game and more about the player. It moves the focus away from what's providing the entertainment and makes the whole LP about the internet celebrity who's playing it. While it has a handful of good uses that enhance the LP, for the most part it ends up being about the LPer trying to make themselves into the internet equivalent of a pop culture figure.

And then there's people like Gamingo, where they seem to do it just because they've seen other LPers do it and it's like a reflexive action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

Theres kinda a big difference between TV news and a face cam. You don't have a little box in the corner of the newscaster's face when they are showing you footage of whatever is going on that day, it just displays them fullscreen in between the actual visual information, i.e. when there isn't anything else to show.

You don't watch much Japanese TV, do you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg65WLEJJoo&t=92s

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Read his post more carefully.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TheModernAmerican posted:

The posts write themselves~~*

Did you know most webcams aren't built smack dab in the middle of computer monitors?

e: Once again, I'm not even really defending most LPers here, more the fact that SA rejects cameras out of hand without even considering their benefits or why everywhere else on the internet accepts and uses them.

Can you for once say something intelligent instead of dismissing valid points and/or misunderstanding very simple statements and pushing this "goons are stupid" attitude? If you are the audience for facecams, you are the perfect example of why facecams should never ever be used. Ever.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
e: ^^ Cool ad hominem bro, I'm out. Aaaand remember I got called out for not even watching them :laffo:

Stux posted:

You're just assuming that there are any benefits or reasoning behind others using them beyond herd mentality.

I can say the same for your argument. From what I can tell, SA has made their judgement on facecams from the incredibly poor and obnoxious use by people like DSP and PewDiePie and will absolutely not consider that there are reason that people like them.

Humans can make anything with two dots and a line into a face, we like faces, we like emotions, we like reactions, is it that hard to consider that while presentations of games are cool and fun, watching people play them is also cool?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

e: Once again, I'm not even really defending most LPers here, more the fact that SA rejects cameras out of hand without even considering their benefits or why everywhere else on the internet accepts and uses them.

But you are defending facecams. I'm not saying that they can't be good, but the vast, vast majority of facecams add nothing but a corner of the screen with someone looking disinterested in what is happening on their computer.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Heated mans face in corner of internet video arguments here in lp subforum

krytton
Aug 11, 2014

I have seen infinity

Monicro posted:

Heated mans face in corner of internet video arguments here in lp subforum

Can I have a facecam to complement my forums posting experience?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cool ad hominem bro.

Have another one: your posting is really bad.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

krytton posted:

Can I have a facecam to complement my forums posting experience?

Wait, is that not what your avatar is?

krytton
Aug 11, 2014

I have seen infinity

djw175 posted:

Wait, is that not what your avatar is?

I'm a pioneer. Now I just need to convince everyone else to join in so I can sue them for stealing my IP.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

e: ^^ Cool ad hominem bro, I'm out. Aaaand remember I got called out for not even watching them :laffo:

But you started this whole argument 4 pages ago defending them. You are the voice of the facecam audience. You loving love facecams so much you will come up with lovely arguments and act like an asshat to promote your belief that facecams are the coolest thing ever. So there's that.

So what you're basically saying is you've been trolling this thread for 4 pages.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

e: ^ Christ dude I'm not trying to troll, I'm trying to have an interesting conversation. I don't know how I can say it without ignored again, but I just think they're kinda cool sometimes sorta.

Yeah sorry for getting too into it. All I was saying is that it is more interesting to watch someone be bored and disinterested than to just listen to them. Even in the worst cases a facecam adds something more than is taken away by the addition of it (in fact in the worst of the worst cases (PewDiePie) are dependent on visual proof of their absurd and stupid over the top reactions to be even attempts at humor). One of my favorite streamers, ProfessorBroman, has a facecam. Most of the time I watch the stream (hell, most of the time I just have it on as background noise), sometimes something really exciting/frustrating/funny happens, and I watch the guy laugh or yell or in some way emote. It's a bit more interesting to me than pure audio commentary.

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 6, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I can say the same for your argument. From what I can tell, SA has made their judgement on facecams from the incredibly poor and obnoxious use by people like DSP and PewDiePie and will absolutely not consider that there are reason that people like them.

Humans can make anything with two dots and a line into a face, we like faces, we like emotions, we like reactions, is it that hard to consider that while presentations of games are cool and fun, watching people play them is also cool?

Well, no, I tried to put a bit more substance into what I said. There isn't really any kind of cultural background in the west for a face being matched up to a voiceover in media. In western media faces are shown when they are the focus, however whenever something else becomes the focus (like showing what is happening elsewhere for a news story, a funny clip etc) a voiceover without picture in picture is the go to. A lets play falls under that, being a video of something with a voice over, where the main visual stimuli is in watching what is being commentated on. Because there is no real basis for this assumption that a face cam falls into a social or cultural need or want to see the face of the person talking when there is already a visual stimulus to focus on I posited that actually this is more of a trend that has come about simply because of a causal link between popular LPers doing it and people assuming they must follow suit in order to become popular rather than any real preference for it, which assumably would've shown up before now in other medias.

Regardless of that though, assuming what I'm saying is wrong, if your reasoning for people liking them is simply "people like faces", then I don't see why there would be an issue about a community collectively rejecting them in favour of focusing on the games themselves instead. If the reason for liking them is simply a psychological "trick" (i.e. people will prefer the LP with a face simply because there is a human face, rather than any actual entertainment or interest gained from it being there), then preferring actual content instead seems like a perfectly reasonable preference, especially if its a minority opinion not well serviced by the more popular and widespread LPers.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Stux posted:

Well, no, I tried to put a bit more substance into what I said. There isn't really any kind of cultural background in the west for a face being matched up to a voiceover in media. In western media faces are shown when they are the focus, however whenever something else becomes the focus (like showing what is happening elsewhere for a news story, a funny clip etc) a voiceover without picture in picture is the go to. A lets play falls under that, being a video of something with a voice over, where the main visual stimuli is in watching what is being commentated on. Because there is no real basis for this assumption that a face cam falls into a social or cultural need or want to see the face of the person talking when there is already a visual stimulus to focus on I posited that actually this is more of a trend that has come about simply because of a causal link between popular LPers doing it and people assuming they must follow suit in order to become popular rather than any real preference for it, which assumably would've shown up before now in other medias.

Regardless of that though, assuming what I'm saying is wrong, if your reasoning for people liking them is simply "people like faces", then I don't see why there would be an issue about a community collectively rejecting them in favour of focusing on the games themselves instead. If the reason for liking them is simply a psychological "trick" (i.e. people will prefer the LP with a face simply because there is a human face, rather than any actual entertainment or interest gained from it being there), then preferring actual content instead seems like a perfectly reasonable preference, especially if its a minority opinion not well serviced by the more popular and widespread LPers.

I'd honestly say something like 90% of my "watching dudes play video games" time is with people who don't use facecams, and that a lot of them are really awkward and poorly lit and make me feel like I need to take a shower just watching them. But that makes me the face of facecams apparently. All I want is for some thought put into why it is used or not used, just like you say. It's entirely possible that it is just copycatting the few random people who got lucky when youtube exploded in 09 and 10, it could be a psychological trick. It could be something else, I don't really know, I just wanted some discussion.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Y'all are fuckin nerds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP2RKCz9Bp4

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Yo, I like this Facecam LP and I am a goon. How does that affect all y'alls arguments now, huh?

Also, where is Part 2/500, DJB, huh!? :colbert:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Someone make like an hour long LP video where the facecam slowly gets bigger and bigger until it encompasses the entire screen and then it becomes a webcam lp

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Monicro posted:

Someone make like an hour long LP video where the facecam slowly gets bigger and bigger until it encompasses the entire screen and then it becomes a webcam lp

Only if it has the thread title of Let's Play Skolnick: I'm Ready For My Close-up Ogre

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Monicro posted:

At one point I wanted to do an LP for Link to the Past with a scarecam for the parts when you're in the castle sewers or any point in the game where it's a darkness based puzzle and you have to light torches. Culminating in me flipping poo poo during the last part of the Ganon fight. Then I realized it was a dumb idea.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Monicro posted:

Only if once the facecam takes up the whole screen another facecam appears in the corner revealing a second let's player controlling the first one's actions.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Want me to cut this argument short with logic to your faces????

Look, this is the kinda poo poo you can argue about forever. You have to actually make videos with real things to point to so someone can say: "Look, here you didn't even change expression for 10 minutes" or "Actually, I kinda liked this." We can have theoretical arguments about theoretical facecams forever.

It's easy enough to theorize, but if you believe in scarecam LPs, you might as well:

1. Just make 'em!
2. Prepare for a volley of jerks telling you you were dumb for makin' em before they even watched it.
3. But, if you made something cool the jerks will subside and you'll ride it out to forums magic! (Bad end: You make a bad thread and get called a bad LPer and ugly!!!)

That's my 3-point action plan. slowbeef, out!

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

slowbeef posted:

Want me to cut this argument short with logic to your faces????

Look, this is the kinda poo poo you can argue about forever. You have to actually make videos with real things to point to so someone can say: "Look, here you didn't even change expression for 10 minutes" or "Actually, I kinda liked this." We can have theoretical arguments about theoretical facecams forever.

It's easy enough to theorize, but if you believe in scarecam LPs, you might as well:

1. Just make 'em!
2. Prepare for a volley of jerks telling you you were dumb for makin' em before they even watched it.
3. But, if you made something cool the jerks will subside and you'll ride it out to forums magic! (Bad end: You make a bad thread and get called a bad LPer and ugly!!!)

That's my 3-point action plan. slowbeef, out!

I'm sorry. I tried to read your post but all I saw was this.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm going to facecam myself playing one of the Call of Cthulhu while playing Russian Roulette. Every time I get incredibly scared I'll pull the trigger and scream for no reason. I'll become the next big LP thing overnight :smuggo:

Unless I'm unlucky. :suicide:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm going to facecam myself playing one of the Call of Cthulhu while playing Russian Roulette. Every time I get incredibly scared I'll pull the trigger and scream for no reason. I'll become the next big LP thing overnight :smuggo:

I think there's only one and the PC port's kinda lovely.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Well gently caress it then, I'm posting Scarecam Crimzon Clover in this thread tomorrow after I edit it and you'll all see the light. i'm gonna kill whoever bought that fuckin emote

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

wait lets all do this

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

slowbeef posted:

We can have theoretical arguments about theoretical facecams forever.
I'm just here for the theoretical facecams.
This is a good one:

dijon du jour posted:

Only if once the facecam takes up the whole screen another facecam appears in the corner revealing a second let's player controlling the first one's actions.

Advanced greenscreen: Instead of keying out the background, the LPer paints their face green and uses what's left as a frame for the gameplay footage. Bonus if they print out goatse hands and tape them to the side of their face.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Monicro posted:

wait lets all do this

I'll bring the Kool-Aid

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dabir posted:

I think there's only one and the PC port's kinda lovely.

He could always play the Cthulhu Mythos-inspired Eldritch. Bonus YT points for minecraft graphics.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Genocyber posted:

He could always play the Cthulhu Mythos-inspired Eldritch. Bonus YT points for minecraft graphics.

I'll go play Endless Sea (Or whatever it's called) on Steam Early Access.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Well gently caress it then, I'm posting Scarecam Crimzon Clover in this thread tomorrow after I edit it and you'll all see the light. i'm gonna kill whoever bought that fuckin emote

It still needs an anime equivalent. Much like :swoon: and :syoon:

edit: wait, poo poo- It needs a Dangan Ronpa version! YOU'LL NEVER BE FREE OF IT

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 6, 2014

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

It still needs an anime equivalent. Much like :swoon: and :syoon:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Murder is wrong.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe
What there should be is an asscam, where interested parties might comfortably watch an rear end quiver with fear, mirth, or indignation depending on the rear end haver's game experience at the time.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

For a long time my avatar was a gif of me when I was 18, spitting beer all over my naked body. Hang on...

I don't have enough shame to deny anyone the right to make dumb videos of their face, is basically what I'm saying. I'm not interested in arguing about whether it's good or not, but exploring its actual effect is fascinating.
Not to continue the argument, but there was a real discussion taking place about it that I'm interesting in furthering, hope nobody minds:

Stux posted:

-snip-
Your post is definitely interesting, but I think it might miss the forest for the trees, as it were. Yes, obviously the news doesn't have literal boxes in the corner constantly showing faces, but the point isn't the objective content but its effect. Here, have a video. What makes PDP popular, imo, isn't the facecam itself but the way he uses it as direct communication with his fans. He spends some of each video staring directly into it (not just past it the way many do, when they are looking at how their own face shows up in the camera's window or something) to talk directly to the viewer and not just react at the game, and he does that thing where he punches the camera that people make fun of a lot - they do this because that moment really sticks out in people's minds.

In other words yeah, having the camera onscreen the entire time is probably unnecessary (unless again, you are replicating the experience of the mundanity of 90% of a video game, so get ready for the next Paranormal Activity to have facecam) but the appeal of it is when it's used as a direct communication method with the audience, a-la the same thing the rest of the youtube community does and most newscasters also.

Even though direct communication is not taking place, this actually adds to its appeal. I can watch George Alagiah talk at me as if I was there, and I don't need to think of anything else to say, smile back at him, take a shower, or be wearing anything decent. In many ways, George makes a better friend than most. Obviously I'm not saying we should use facecam but it's truly interesting getting to the bottom of its prevalence and its effect on the audience.

I tried recording a found-footage facecam video once where they're playing dark souls 2 for the first ten minutes but they spend another 110 running around a forest with a sword getting chased by actual ghost bikers. I should finish that sometime.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

For a long time my avatar was a gif of me when I was 18, spitting beer all over my naked body. [...]

boy, this post started off unnecessarily weird.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I'd like facecams more if all LPs were done by animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

RareAcumen posted:

boy, this post started off unnecessarily weird.

Hey, it was from a video i made. For a year it was my avatar (THANKS KITE), so before you saw any of my thoughtful and well-written posts you saw...that. I specialise in making weird poo poo, which is probably why my lps seem to be really popular with a very close-knit audience of 200 people and literally no-one else. Next stop adult swim toot toot

• Locked thread