Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

chumbler posted:

That mission is so hard, though :(. Which team did you tackle first? I've been ignoring the yellow team until last so that I can take out Wizzro immediately (and waste minimal time waiting to die and restart when I take a hit from him or Volga). But the goddamned super aerolfos that is the yellow commander takes an age and a half to kill.

I kinda mixed and matched considering poo poo's going on everywhere. Basically I took down the officer south of where you start to unlock the yellow headquarters, then make a beeline for the messenger going to the yellow headquarters and take him out. After that I make a run for Wizzro and pray I catch him while Volga is elsewhere, take him out, then take out Volga before he can utterly wreck my own headquarters.

From there it's just taking care of loose ends. Take out the yellow boss, rack up K.O.s for the A-rank, get pissed because Fi's whining about fat bokoblins wrecking the home base and then take care of Ghirahim.

Also I prepared for the mission by getting a five-star baton earlier with the help of the star potion, and I think after way too many failed attempts Zelda ended up around level 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Suaimhneas posted:

A few times now I've seen that move clear the keep and kill the keep boss as it appears, at the same time. :stare:

My best keep clear was pounding away on mooks with Link's gauntlets and then going for the pillar slam, the keep boss spawns right behind me and then instantly dies as Link german suplexes the pillar behind him. :allears:

chumbler posted:

That mission is so hard, though :(. Which team did you tackle first? I've been ignoring the yellow team until last so that I can take out Wizzro immediately (and waste minimal time waiting to die and restart when I take a hit from him or Volga). But the goddamned super aerolfos that is the yellow commander takes an age and a half to kill.

What I ended up doing was running north and taking the keep to the east immediately, forget the yellows, leave them until later. After taking that keep go kill the Redead messenger as he passes by, then kill Wizro. By this time, Volga's in the first keep I took on the way up so I have to deal with him. Clear whatever remaining enemies are around the allied base and then go take out the yellow lieutenant.
Then go after the yellow leader as Ghiarim moves on your base, if you need to break off to prevent your base from being overran then go kill Ghiarim and come back for the yellow lizard dude later. The biggest issue for me in this map was avoiding damage from Volga and Wizro, since one stray attack from Wizro can easily take off 6 hearts and woops there goes your A rank.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just had the game glitch out and refuse to let me beat the level where Cia summons all the Dark Links. The last Link in her room just stood there and didn't attack, and stopped taking damage once his health was almost gone. :psyduck:

E: And there's a checkpoint there, wonderful guess I get to start the level all over!

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 6, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nothing annoys me more then doing a "kill X number of enemies in 10 minutes" and only being 40 short at the last ten seconds. I probably should ignore the unique captains, but them powering up the enemies makes the mini-bosses roaming around hit hard.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Rirse posted:

Nothing annoys me more then doing a "kill X number of enemies in 10 minutes" and only being 40 short at the last ten seconds. I probably should ignore the unique captains, but them powering up the enemies makes the mini-bosses roaming around hit hard.

Murder dudes around them while waiting for weak spots to hit them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My adventures of trying to get the drat Skulltula from A War of Spirit continue. This time, Dark Link didn't glitch out (I think the problem last time was actually that NPC Link decided not to bother going to the room to fight him and trigger the cutscene) but Impa did. Something about the fact that they all teleport to you, but Impa was in Danger right before I beat Dark Link has the whole thing confused. I got a "Impa Fled" message, despite the fact that she was at fine health and is currently standing right next to me. Despite this, the game thinks she fled and the Skulltula hasn't triggered.

I guess I'll try once more before I give up in disgust for the night...

E: It's also possible that in this case I am missing some requirement for the skulltula triggering however.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 6, 2014

night slime
May 14, 2014

Rirse posted:

On the Faron Woods run challenge I was one short. I managed to kill one as time expired and it gave me the 500 enemies killed notification. Then it said I failed the challenge. Good coding

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well third time's the charm. That level is pretty ridiculous on Hard mode.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, did you know that one of the possible end-of-mission rewards for helping a network Link can be a normal bronze material? :haw:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Regy Rusty posted:

Well third time's the charm. That level is pretty ridiculous on Hard mode.

You can't kill the last Dark Link unless both you and Link (if you're not playing as him) is in Cia's room so she can spring the trap on you and trigger the Lana saves the day scene.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dastardly posted:

You can't kill the last Dark Link unless both you and Link (if you're not playing as him) is in Cia's room so she can spring the trap on you and trigger the Lana saves the day scene.

Yeah I realized that was what happened the second time through. I don't know why Link wouldn't go in there.

Even when things went correctly, that level is still really hard because the Dark Links get some kind of incredible buff it seems. They were harder to kill than Ganondorf, and you have to fight 4 of them.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

How are you guys A-ranking stuff with Ganondorf? I love playing him, as anyone should, but he keeps getting hit during his combos.

Regy Rusty posted:

Wow I just finally got around to playing Zelda with the Windwaker and it really surprised me. Considering that the Rapier is all about moving absurdly fast and jumping all over the drat place, I was not expecting her other weapon to be a totally stationary powerhouse. I actually really like it.

Tips? I just cannot get used to that weapon and I'd really like to try out Link's final weapon (I read the posts about the mission itself but still don't have a feel for the baton).

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

mastajake posted:

Tips? I just cannot get used to that weapon and I'd really like to try out Link's final weapon (I read the posts about the mission itself but still don't have a feel for the baton).

The level 2 rapier is way easier to get and will do way more damage than the l1 baton possibly can. Even though baton is recommended just use the rapier.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I actually did better with the level 1 baton than I did with my level 2 rapier :v:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So...I'm trying to get the Water Temple Hard Gold Skulltula, and I timed myself fighting the boss and it seems like I'm beating him under three minutes but I'm not getting the gold skulltula to appear. Sheik is definately still alive by the time I'm done with King Dodongo, so...what gives?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just now got the great fairy, and she's really cool but she's so huge it's actually hard to see around her to know where things are. Though I guess with the amount of invulnerability she has on everything, it doesn't really matter.

I hope in the future they add more weird weapons like her. For example Groose driving a Groosenator tank. Or TP style Ganon that is an actual giant boar. Or Cia throwing piles of her self-insert fanfiction at people.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 6, 2014

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Quick tip I wanna throw out there: if a boss monster is stubbornly refusing to let you damage them and you have a full magic bar or easy access to a full magic bar, just activate your magic and interrupt it with your special. That actually knocks those guys into their weak point animations just like it does to the regular officers.

I'm pretty sure the game tells you this, but I honestly just assumed it wouldn't work on those guys until a King Dodongo was being a jackass and I wanted to clear mooks away from under his feet.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Oh no, I do know that trick and use it and it's still not working. Maybe by the time it reaches the defeat messages my three minutes are up.

I guess I'll see if I can rope my roommate in for help. Two people going full burst on a boss is extremely fast, and has done wonders for A-ranking the giant boss battles in adventure mode so far.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

mastajake posted:

How are you guys A-ranking stuff with Ganondorf? I love playing him, as anyone should, but he keeps getting hit during his combos.

If you're fighting trash go ahead and finish your combos, any damage taken will be negligible but honestly you probably won't get hit. If you're fighting enemies higher than captain status either wait for them to reveal their weak point and/or only use Y combos (or a launcher if it's fast enough, usually done with YX) and dodge cancel them liberally. This applies to every character. Except Sheik I guess cause Sheik just don't give a gently caress.

Also if you do find yourself stuck in an un-dodge-cancelable move and are about to eat poo poo, you can use your Special to go invincible. Might be able activate Magic for a similar result, haven't tried it myself.

Vanrushal fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 6, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

a cartoon duck posted:

Link's final weapon is absolutely amazing in every way. Definitely worth the trouble of A-ranking Zelda's rank 2 baton mission.

My husband and I finally A-ranked that mission last night.

We don't even have the lv 1 baton. I didn't know where it was! :doh: So now we just skipped right to the lv 2 I guess! He played Zelda, I was Sheik. I murdered all the bosses while taking minimal damage, and he handled the trash mobs.

Tonight, we're unlocking the fairy thing. Time to see what all the fuss is about!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

mastajake posted:

Wait until you have a bit of clearance to break out his longer attacks (ie don't do it when there's 12 dudes headbutting your rear end), and feel free to use his normal combo for captains because it's strong as poo poo. Remember, you have to lose like 10 hearts at least before it brings you down to a B rank. Taking the occasional chip damage from trash mobs doesn't amount to much.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Silver Falcon posted:

Tonight, we're unlocking the fairy thing. Time to see what all the fuss is about!

I thought the way people talked about it, it had to be over-hyped. I was wrong.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finally got to the end of Legend Mode. It was fun playing as Ganondorf and beating the poo poo out of Zelda and Link multiple times. I have a file saved just before fighting Ganon (and getting Zelda's heart container and the skulltula), but I may have to delete it because I used all my potions fighting Ganondorf (it's not really him that gave me the difficulty so much as the fact that he was surrounded by dinolfos and slallords). He keeps mopping the floor with me, mostly because I have way too much difficulty cycling through the equipment with the drat D-pad. I really wish I could pause and switch out which item I'm using.

I still haven't gotten a chance to hit him with a light arrow to see how much time I get to smack him around with my companions' current health (I healed Darunia multiple times but I'm not sure how everyone else fared). I'll probably see if I can manage it and then see if I need to restart and manage to rush down to the Fairy Fountain to kill the drat spider again.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I discovered a pretty neat use for bombs against captains, especially ReDeads. I've been having trouble maintaining the optimal distance to avoid attacks and then manage to get in and attack before the weak point meter disappears. So, when you see the weak point meter just lob some bombs, 100% of the time it'll launch whatever it hits right to you, and since the enemies are airborne, you can do some fancy juggling to bring down the weak point meter before they hit the ground. It's really helped me out with a lot of enemies with AoEs. Arrows also work a bit to stun them, but the animation is so long the enemy is generally unstunned by the time you get over to them.

Also, I finally hit my first trouble adventure mode mission. It's the one to the west where you have to kill 700 enemies in 10 minutes and there's just apparently neverending spawns of Manhandlas and heroes. After ten minutes, I'm usually only at about 400 kills. How are you supposed to do it? Just ignore all bosses and heroes and plink down all the surrounding goons?

P.S. gently caress Manhandla.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

How are you supposed to do it? Just ignore all bosses and heroes and plink down all the surrounding goons?

Yep. Bring Fi or Ruto, or someone with a reliably spammy AoE. I like Fi because you can take advantage of the fact that she's entirely invincible during her Light charge. Ruto's attacks throw her hitbox all over the place, I've swam between entire salvos before, and it always gets a smile out of me when it happens.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 6, 2014

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

larchesdanrew posted:

I discovered a pretty neat use for bombs against captains, especially ReDeads. I've been having trouble maintaining the optimal distance to avoid attacks and then manage to get in and attack before the weak point meter disappears. So, when you see the weak point meter just lob some bombs, 100% of the time it'll launch whatever it hits right to you, and since the enemies are airborne, you can do some fancy juggling to bring down the weak point meter before they hit the ground. It's really helped me out with a lot of enemies with AoEs. Arrows also work a bit to stun them, but the animation is so long the enemy is generally unstunned by the time you get over to them.

Also, I finally hit my first trouble adventure mode mission. It's the one to the west where you have to kill 700 enemies in 10 minutes and there's just apparently neverending spawns of Manhandlas and heroes. After ten minutes, I'm usually only at about 400 kills. How are you supposed to do it? Just ignore all bosses and heroes and plink down all the surrounding goons?

In my experience, Manhandla is also the most capable giant boss when it comes to stalking players over the length and width of the map and being unignorable. Its sheer girth also makes it hard to run past it in cases where you can't run away from it. There have been a lot of times when I ran away from it, dealt with a cluster of mooks, and had that thing right in my face 30 seconds later.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Bicyclops posted:

I finally got to the end of Legend Mode. It was fun playing as Ganondorf and beating the poo poo out of Zelda and Link multiple times. I have a file saved just before fighting Ganon (and getting Zelda's heart container and the skulltula), but I may have to delete it because I used all my potions fighting Ganondorf (it's not really him that gave me the difficulty so much as the fact that he was surrounded by dinolfos and slallords). He keeps mopping the floor with me, mostly because I have way too much difficulty cycling through the equipment with the drat D-pad. I really wish I could pause and switch out which item I'm using.

This level was incredibly frustrating for me the first time through, I had lost all of my companions save Ruto and it was my first time playing as Zelda. I took a break, went back to it, made sure to keep my buddies alive, and managed to barely edge out of it - running around the map looking for hearts when I got low.

The switching thing is probably the most annoying part, and I agree it would be way easier if I could pause and switch, the time-frame to react to his move is really narrow - do people find it easier to use the D-pad or the touch screen?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The biggest problem I had with the last Ganon fight was the gap between skidding to a halt when running from his charge and being able to fire the arrows. There was a lot of "run to avoid everything, his weak spot glows, stop and fire, and miss because his head moved or the weak point stopped glowing" going on.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

This level was incredibly frustrating for me the first time through, I had lost all of my companions save Ruto and it was my first time playing as Zelda. I took a break, went back to it, made sure to keep my buddies alive, and managed to barely edge out of it - running around the map looking for hearts when I got low.

The switching thing is probably the most annoying part, and I agree it would be way easier if I could pause and switch, the time-frame to react to his move is really narrow - do people find it easier to use the D-pad or the touch screen?

I've been using the touchscreen ever since I figured out that I could. It even helpfully points out where your finger is one the TV so you don't have to look down at the pad. :aaa:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I use the D-Pad on the Wii-U controller

When a I need to switch in battle I lock onto something and then strafe/run with one hand and cycle with my other hand till I get what I want.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I might have to try the touch screen. I found it too unreliable to really consider by cycling through them on the D pad just hasn't been fast enough.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The biggest problem I had with the last Ganon fight was the gap between skidding to a halt when running from his charge and being able to fire the arrows. There was a lot of "run to avoid everything, his weak spot glows, stop and fire, and miss because his head moved or the weak point stopped glowing" going on.

I have the same problem with Argorak, actually. The hookshot doesn't seem to lock like the bow or the boomerang do, so half the time, the weak spot starts glowing and I'm just flinging my hookshot at some Stalfos and pissing it off. Trying to hookshot Ganon usually cleans out 1/2 my hearts, firstly while I try to find the hookshot in my equipment and secondly while I target his tail and miss. But yeah, I got to the light arrows once and got creamed trying to time it. I'll likely have to restart it from the beginning so I have some potions for the thing (and I'm pretty sure I lost Fi and maybe Ruto somewhere in the fray), but I want to at least try once or twice more.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Flytrap posted:

Yep. Bring Fi or Ruto, or someone with a reliably spammy AoE. I like Fi because you can take advantage of the fact that she's entirely invincible during her Light charge. Ruto's attacks throw her hitbox all over the place, I've swam between entire salvos before, and it always gets a smile out of me when it happens.

I'll have to retry it tonight. I probably wasn't in the best state this morning when I tried, seeing as how I was up at 3:30am with the most awake baby ever and playing on the gamepad while Thomas and Friends was on the television.

do people find it easier to use the D-pad or the touch screen?

I hate using the D-pad, since you have to pretty much grind to a halt to scroll through everything. The touch screen is a lot easier since I discovered you don't actually have to scroll over the where the item is on the screen. It considers where you first touch the screen as the "center" and then you just kind of flick in the direction of the weapon you want. With some practice, I'm able to reliably swap to the weapon I want with almost no effect on my combat :shrug:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I read a thing on the Hyrule Warriors subreddit about advanced tactics, and one of them is called shield dodging. Basically if you start dodging while the shield is up and then, maybe, shield while dodging or something (I can't remember, I'll try to find it here in a second). Anyways, when done properly, you can start stopping on a dime from running or dodging and immediately be ready to do whatever action you need to perform. The example given in the article, I remember, was being able to stop in front of a chest and open it in the middle of combat without having to faff about finding the sweet spot and wait to come to a complete stop.

Edit: Here it is Basically, while running, hit block and then dodge and you'll immediately stop and go into a block stance.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 6, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

I hate using the D-pad, since you have to pretty much grind to a halt to scroll through everything. The touch screen is a lot easier since I discovered you don't actually have to scroll over the where the item is on the screen. It considers where you first touch the screen as the "center" and then you just kind of flick in the direction of the weapon you want. With some practice, I'm able to reliably swap to the weapon I want with almost no effect on my combat :shrug:

It's too bad picking up an elemental fairy throws a wrench in the works. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Are there places that have two elemental keeps but only one elemental fairy? I remember encountering that in Adventure Mode back when I was attempting it with my babby level 20s, but things were so hectic that I'm probably making it up.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Are there places that have two elemental keeps but only one elemental fairy? I remember encountering that in Adventure Mode back when I was attempting it with my babby level 20s, but things were so hectic that I'm probably making it up.

I did a network link last night with one darkness fairy and three darkness keeps.

It would have been manageable but I wasted the fairy on a keep before realizing the enemy base was also a darkness keep. Then my ally (Darunia) decided to charge head first into the enemy base to fight Lana so I had to run in and protect him. :arghfist::saddowns:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So can you actually get cuccos to go berserk on the enemy instead of yourself? Those loving chickens ruin all my attempts at getting Zant's rank 2 weapon, no matter how often I bait the enemy into attacking the cucco it still remains neutral up until I decide to say gently caress it, whiff an attack and accidentally nudge it little, THEN it summons down hell on me instead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

I did a network link last night with one darkness fairy and three darkness keeps.

It would have been manageable but I wasted the fairy on a keep before realizing the enemy base was also a darkness keep. Then my ally (Darunia) decided to charge head first into the enemy base to fight Lana so I had to run in and protect him. :arghfist::saddowns:

Like, it's not too hard to just tank through the Keeps, but you definitely take way too much damage to A rank anything that way, and I feel like some of them, the only way to get the 1200 kills is to take both keeps!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I just swap items during special attack animations. I recommend swapping like this if you're using the pro controller.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

deepshock posted:

In my experience, Manhandla is also the most capable giant boss when it comes to stalking players over the length and width of the map and being unignorable. Its sheer girth also makes it hard to run past it in cases where you can't run away from it. There have been a lot of times when I ran away from it, dealt with a cluster of mooks, and had that thing right in my face 30 seconds later.

Weirdly it's the exact opposite for me, I'm alwayas so glad when it's a Manhandla because it's so easy to ignore. The beam eye thing is the most annoying because it's so loving fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Taear posted:

Weirdly it's the exact opposite for me, I'm alwayas so glad when it's a Manhandla because it's so easy to ignore. The beam eye thing is the most annoying because it's so loving fast.

Yeah, but he has like one attack (laser eye) that you have to watch for and you just dodge away from it and keep runnin'.

• Locked thread