Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

My new external hard drive got in!

I got it hooked up and everything but... it looks like you can't download things from the eShop directly onto external storage? I didn't see a way, anyway. Kind of lame if true. Can you at least run stuff off the external? I can always move the beast of a memory hog that is Tropical Freeze over the the hard drive to make room to download things, but if I can't play it from there, it's going to be a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Silver Falcon posted:

I got it hooked up and everything but... it looks like you can't download things from the eShop directly onto external storage? I didn't see a way, anyway. Kind of lame if true. Can you at least run stuff off the external? I can always move the beast of a memory hog that is Tropical Freeze over the the hard drive to make room to download things, but if I can't play it from there, it's going to be a pain.

I don't really know how it determines where to dump games downloaded from the eShop, but I buy all of my things digitally, and I never had to specify where they land. They just end up on my external HDD. :shrug:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Yeah, you can move games to the external and play things off of it after formatting. I'm pretty sure that, for me, the system automatically picked the external hard drive when I tried to download something that took up too much space, and now it won't change back to the Wii U's internal!

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

You can in fact download to and run games off of the hard drive. I'm not sure, but I think it prefers to download to the internal storage but will download onto the external hard drive if the game wont fit onto the internal. There isn't a way to specify which to download to as far as I know.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Maybe it's because I only have a basic unit but my stuff always downloads to the external drive, even if it would fit on the internal memory. :iiam:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Pegged Lamb posted:

My local Shopko has (had I picked one up) two Zelda bundle Wii U's in stock. Is there decent demand for these still? Seems like it from ebay

I still see them at Gamestop.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

I found Bayonetta to be a mechanically sound brawler with a terrible, nauseating plot. I know its "meant" to be that way, but I seriously regret not skipping the cutscenes. I admired Viewtiful Joe more than I liked it, and found the difficulty to be quite off-putting.

But Vanquish? One of the best games of the last generation, bursting with energy and life. It is the best cover shooter of all time: by constantly encouraging you to get out of cover.

Vanquish was my favorite game from last generation and IMO Platinums best game. I wish it would get a sequel or even a re-release on the WIIU so I could play off screen. :magical:
I finished it three times and toyed around with the challenges before other games wanted to be played. Even now, I still want to go back to that game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth TNT posted:

Vanquish was my favorite game from last generation and IMO Platinums best game. I wish it would get a sequel or even a re-release on the WIIU so I could play off screen. :magical:
I finished it three times and toyed around with the challenges before other games wanted to be played. Even now, I still want to go back to that game.

I'm stuck at the final boss on God Hard. I'll beat it... one day... :shepface:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

HDD chat: I bought a 2gb portable seagate drive to stick in my PS4 as per the following - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb

I plan to then put my PS4 HDD into the old enclosure and use it as external storage space for my WiiU (complete with Y cable). This weird Frankenstein swapping and buggery should work, right? I've seen mixed opinions about the reliability of non-powered external hard drives, sometimes within this very thread woooooo :ghost:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, you can move games to the external and play things off of it after formatting. I'm pretty sure that, for me, the system automatically picked the external hard drive when I tried to download something that took up too much space, and now it won't change back to the Wii U's internal!

Huh. That is weird. I tried to re-download Wonderful 101 last night, and the thing refused to do it because the internal memory is full. The hard drive is hooked in and everything. When I moved some things from the internal memory over to the hard drive to make room, it downloaded fine, presumably to the internal memory.

I guess as long as I can run stuff off the external, it's not such a big deal. It's just weird.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe which drive it downloads to is in settings, or your W101 save was on internal so it tried downloading there.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Pro controller question: Can I pair this controller to an android 4.4 tablet? I just bought gta vice city and it would be pretty sweet if I can sync it.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Has anyone done testing with using a SSD as external storage? I'm seeing some insanely cheap SSD's, and I wouldn't mind throwing down $50 for a 120GB drive if there was any benefit. Right now, I'm playing Tropical Freeze off internal storage and the load times are ridiculous.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
I played and reviewed Angry Bunnies, available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBI0crO9L0U

It's horrible and wayyyy expensive, it forces you to watch domino-type levels and its "ACTION SENSING CAMERA" genuinely gave me a headache multiple times. I don't usually get headaches.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Civil posted:

Has anyone done testing with using a SSD as external storage? I'm seeing some insanely cheap SSD's, and I wouldn't mind throwing down $50 for a 120GB drive if there was any benefit. Right now, I'm playing Tropical Freeze off internal storage and the load times are ridiculous.

Piggybacking on this question: are load times between internal storage and external storage noticeably different?

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Hey guys, I just picked up a Wii U so I have something to do with my roommates when we don't have any work to do. I have Mario Kart and wanted to get Mario Party 9(?). What's the cheapest way to play this? The used game still sells for a lot and I don't think I can use my Wii Pro Controllers or whatever, right?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Macintosh posted:

Hey guys, I just picked up a Wii U so I have something to do with my roommates when we don't have any work to do. I have Mario Kart and wanted to get Mario Party 9(?). What's the cheapest way to play this? The used game still sells for a lot and I don't think I can use my Wii Pro Controllers or whatever, right?

I think you need Wiimotes for MP games, also I'd recommend 8 over 9, I think that's consensus at least. They're noticeably different anyhow.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just wait for Mario Party 10, 8 and 9 both suck. Or get Wii PartyU which is similar just using Miis instead of Mario characters.

Also, you need Wiimotes for a lot of WiiU games.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Get Dokapon Kingdom instead of Mario Party. It's for the Wii and requires only one Wii Remote (no nunchuck). It has a competitive campaign mode than me and my roommates played through a few years ago.

You may not like each other anymore after playing, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Get Fortune Street instead because it doesn't take a million years to play.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

andipossess posted:

The mark of a true party game.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Multiplayer New Super Mario Bros. U is also a way to quickly generate hate. It's just soooo easy to gently caress over the other players. I've only played it 2-player so far, I imagine a 4-player game wouldn't go 30 seconds without one player either throwing their controller or telling everyone else in the room to gently caress themselves.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Civil posted:

Multiplayer New Super Mario Bros. U is also a way to quickly generate hate. It's just soooo easy to gently caress over the other players. I've only played it 2-player so far, I imagine a 4-player game wouldn't go 30 seconds without one player either throwing their controller or telling everyone else in the room to gently caress themselves.

Same goes for Super Mario 3D World.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Macintosh posted:

Buy cheap copies of Wii Party U and Game & Wario... play the Fashion game in Wii Party U and the Sketch game in Game & Wario. Ignore everything else.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
If you don't have Nintendoland, it's probably the best party game available on the console. I'd get that next.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

andipossess posted:

Get Dokapon Kingdom instead of Mario Party. It's for the Wii and requires only one Wii Remote (no nunchuck). It has a competitive campaign mode than me and my roommates played through a few years ago.

Dokapon Kingdom is an unbelievable game. Makes me miss college.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

zfleeman posted:

Dokapon Kingdom is an unbelievable game. Makes me miss college.

We played the game for like two weeks before we finished the campaign. More than once we would say, "We're finishing it tonight," but give up when the sun rose. The game broke us apart. It shattered our weapons and armor. We laughed at each others' misfortune. We gave each other poopy-head or balding hairdos. We sold our souls to the devil. But in the end, we reigned victorious over the Devil King by working together (because he was bullshit hard) and thus our bonds of friendship were restored.

Moral of the story: Dokapon Kingdom will only destroy friendships if you don't see it to the end.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Ah so many options! I guess I'll just get Super Mario 3D World since I already have controllers and it's widely regarded as the best game for Wii U.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

andipossess posted:

Moral of the story: Dokapon Kingdom will only destroy friendships if you don't see it to the end.

Definitely false. When I played Dokapon Kingdom with my group of friends (via netplay on Dolphin), it was competitive right until the demise of the Devil King. We actively tried to beat the hell out of each other as we ran to him, battling for the title of wife of the princess king.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Just wait for Mario Party 10, 8 and 9 both suck. Or get Wii PartyU which is similar just using Miis instead of Mario characters.

Also, you need Wiimotes for a lot of WiiU games.
Wii Party U sucks too though :sweatdrop: (though I can't say if worse so than the last couple of Mario Party games since I haven't played those). I can say though that I quite liked the Mario Party game for the original NDS.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

From The Binding of isaac rebirth blog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0IuBabH-sw

Looks like Team meat is finally going to have a game on a Nintendo system.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Pixeltendo posted:

From The Binding of isaac rebirth blog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0IuBabH-sw

Lol, cool. I thought he held a Blood Vendetta against Ninty 'cause Nintendo didn't want his poop fetus game on the 3DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nicalis is completely inept, don't take them at their word on anything.

Spin The Bottle is the best party game on Wii U. They just released a demo, and I think it's still on sale, too.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nicalis is completely inept, don't take them at their word on anything.

Spin The Bottle is the best party game on Wii U. They just released a demo, and I think it's still on sale, too.

I played around with the demo by myself a few days ago, and while it definitely seemed like something that would be stellar if I regularly hosted groups of two or more, I'd still probably put Nintendo Land up for "best party game on Wii U," since it not only delivers an astoundingly good multiplayer experience (at least, when I played it), but also brings a reasonably strong single-player experience too (though I guess very few other people seem to like anything beyond the DK minigame). Either way, I still can't help but feel that eight-and-a-half bucks is a little too steep for a game which Nintendo Land can pretty easily be played in place of, especially since it offers no real single-player experience.

That said, Bumpie's Party is absolutely trying to hit a different experience than Nintendo Land. The goal for the game was to have players interacting with each other, within the space of the real world - the game explicitly asks you to leave the T.V. off when playing, and in this way, it takes wonderful advantage of the Wii U hardware, which is something I definitely appreciate. If a person's looking to entertain different folks, maybe less experienced with video games, Bumpie's Party could well be an ideal experience, although it may be a little tough if you're trying to entertain a room full of awkward nerds, since the game's chock full of that physical interaction.

Speaking of KnapKnok, though, I'm still painfully excited for Affordable Space Adventures, since it seems to have the methodology of art, sound, and gameplay you'd see from a Nifflas game with the budget and experience of a bigger team. I'll try not to think too hard about the fact that it was supposed to come out this month.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Does anyone know how to discover what your Disney account login for Infinity? 2.0 is F2P on PC, but I have no idea what I used for the login on Wii U, and I'm not seeing any Disney account options in the menus.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Am I in the minority for being disappointed with Mario Kart 8? I haven't played any of the games since Mario Kart DS but it really seems like they have removed much of the skill required for it to be engaging. The graphics and music are fantastic but the game play feels very hollow. There is nothing to drifting and getting sparks. I find the non-classic stages are really wide and spacious. Flying, underwater and the anti-gravity gimmick add nothing.

Compared to Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed the single player modes are so bare and basic, along with the game play as well.

I sure was pumped to race as five baby versions of characters and pink-gold Peach!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Man it's been said but after playing it myself I'm really bummed that they bungled the lighting so badly on Windwaker HD. The game mostly looks gorgeous but the lighting just makes everything look like cheap CG, like someone's art school project. I'm sure it's high quality in a vacuum but it clashes with the art style so badly, it's just so blatantly slapped onto a game that was not designed for it; everything is either hazy or washed out or weirdly round looking. It's a shame because they came so close and this hd remake with the rich colors of the original would be genuinely jaw-dropping.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 7, 2014

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pixeltendo posted:

I hope this happens. I'd never stop playing if I could play Isaac just on the pad.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Am I in the minority for being disappointed with Mario Kart 8? I haven't played any of the games since Mario Kart DS but it really seems like they have removed much of the skill required for it to be engaging. The graphics and music are fantastic but the game play feels very hollow. There is nothing to drifting and getting sparks. I find the non-classic stages are really wide and spacious. Flying, underwater and the anti-gravity gimmick add nothing.

Compared to Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed the single player modes are so bare and basic, along with the game play as well.

I sure was pumped to race as five baby versions of characters and pink-gold Peach!

Do you destroy everyone online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Old Swerdlow posted:

you're probably really bad at the game, btw

• Locked thread