Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Looking at that old page reminded me about all those other kids who exist and are not ghost-powered secret agents in training. Wonder what they're up to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Level Slide posted:

First one is read "hyakuman", or the Japanese word for one million. With that in mind, the second one is read "hyakuMax". It's less than a trillion, but it still shows that Suzy sees Max as a treasure trove of scoops for the journalism club.

And that's one pun out of however many are in the comic so far.
This is why a translation team should include natives tongues in both languages.

Bananachin
May 1, 2010
マックス is a loan word commonly-used enough in Japanese to mean "Maximum/Max" as much as it is a Japonicised (?) spelling of the English name. スクープ (Scoop loan word) means much the same thing in a journalism context, and the two words have an assonance in Japanese that doesn't happen in English.

Put 'em next to each other and you get the vaguely-palindromic マックス!スクープ, which, sure, doesn't exactly roll off the tongue but it works well enough in a textual format.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo you nerds, just post the update and marvel at (part) of that outfit.

Ghost train looks so ridiculous. I love everything about this page.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Every single expression on this page would make a great avatar.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Now that was a great update. Tough hugs!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh. My god. I think this is my favorite page so far in the entire drat comic. Everything is perfect, from the way Agent Day is just cocking her head to the side like"what is this I don't even", to the train with it's "nu-uh no you di'nt just touch MY MAN" :nyd: face, to Spender's ridiculous outfit(watch it be a dresskilt, because the drat coat is made of a table cloth), and and and

Sometimes, I love fridays. :allears:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Isabel gets no luck with affection, does she?

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Oh wow, I'm just imagining the kids reaction to seeing Spender's super saiyan form. Then, after the laughter has died down, how Spender reacts to knowing he would have been too loving late to save Max. Can't wait for Monday's update.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
I'm guessing Lucifer typically resides in Spender's glasses but can possess him at will and change up his appearance? It'd be interesting to see if it's a mashup of Lucifer and his second spirit.

Also Agent Day is succeeding pretty well at being the most adorable character in this comic :allears:

Something really enjoyable on a comics creator level is how Zack uses the background of the train as a means of transferring to a simple gradient background when Max and Isabel are interacting. Zack's been good at knowing when environments are useful for grounding the scene and when they're fluff, but it's really fun to see attempts to fluidly bridge the gap between action and reaction shots.

snucks fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 3, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Awww, at least Isabell can feel ok that Max ain't dead.

Hahah Agent Day wasn't kidding about the train wouldn't let anyone hurt Max, look at how focused the train is looking at Isabell trying to punch Max.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just noticed that both Isabel and Agent Day have a lock (or two locks, in Day's case) of hair hanging down in front of the left side of their faces. Huh.

Also just went back and took another look at that, and I noticed that the (rib)cage of Spender's outfit has no cloth, so we're seeing Spender's bare (and apparently suddenly reallt dark) body through it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Meanwhile, Forge possesses Spender's car.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh my lord yes :allears:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Roland Jones posted:

I just noticed that both Isabel and Agent Day have a lock (or two locks, in Day's case) of hair hanging down in front of the left side of their faces. Huh.

Also just went back and took another look at that, and I noticed that the (rib)cage of Spender's outfit has no cloth, so we're seeing Spender's bare (and apparently suddenly reallt dark) body through it.

You realize we're probably just seeing Spender's clothes through the cage, right?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Yes, this is the best page and all, but I'd like to remind everyone that Spender and Lucifer's guest is probably about to join the fun.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Yes, this is the best page and all, but I'd like to remind everyone that Spender and Lucifer's guest is probably about to join the fun.

That'd fit with the whole "do good, by whatever means necessary" thing that Spender's got going. He hulked out to go save Max (a good act) but is probably going to lose control of the darkness spirit and unleash it on Mayview (a bad thing). And Agent Day is right there to ?see? it...

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Wonder why Max is so averse to hugging. Image issues, or just real squeamish about being touched?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just doesn't want to be hugged by somebody he still barely knows, with a little "trying to be cool" mixed in, I'm guessing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

He doesn't want the train to get the wrong idea and possibly smash Isabel

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The train looks simultaneously jealous of Isabel's affection and protective against her punching him.

If the next doesn't have everyone laughing at Spender's ridiculous outfit I'm going to be a little disappointed.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Gnome de plume posted:

The train looks simultaneously jealous of Isabel's affection and protective against her punching him.

If the next doesn't have everyone laughing at Spender's ridiculous outfit I'm going to be a little disappointed.

Agent Day will simply look confused as to what all the laughter is about.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You realize we're probably just seeing Spender's clothes through the cage, right?

That is indeed possible; looking again, what I thought were the contours of his back and spine are more likely just folds in the clothing. So that makes it slightly less ridiculous, though the weird cage outfit over his jacket and stuff is also silly. (Also his jacket was brown, not black, but that could just be lighting weirdness.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

He is Skullbird.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I just realized something: Isabel could very well have been in the train when the arrow it hit.

The first person she saw was Max, and she's acting a bit strange. From Panel 2 onwards. Agent Day's arrow was a double shot.

As for Spender's outfit, I think the dark center torso is just representing The Strongest Spirit. At least I think that's what the shadow spirit is at least implied to be? I mean, it's in the (rib)cage looking thing.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Kgummy posted:

I just realized something: Isabel could very well have been in the train when the arrow it hit.

The first person she saw was Max, and she's acting a bit strange. From Panel 2 onwards. Agent Day's arrow was a double shot.

As for Spender's outfit, I think the dark center torso is just representing The Strongest Spirit. At least I think that's what the shadow spirit is at least implied to be? I mean, it's in the (rib)cage looking thing.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about both of those. Isabel isn't acting any stranger than she usually is and part of Lucifer's design is a birdcage. Spender's doing spirit fusion, so it stands to reason that parts of his costume would resemble his spirit.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
If Isabel hugging Max seems out of character, keep in mind that it was also literally the first thing she did upon learning he was a Spectral.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Also, the last panel of this page lets you know the order things happened in: Isabel was already outside (trying to outrun the train) while Max was still screaming and Spender was doing SPIRIT! FUSION!!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I can't wait for everyone to laugh at Spender for his dumb dorky outfit, then yell at him for abandoning them.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is this the first time we've seen/will see spirit fusion with a medium?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is this the first time we've seen/will see spirit fusion with a medium?

He's not fusing with his medium'd spirit, though, he's fusing with Lucifer, who's in the tool.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
I really just want Ghost Train to smash the poo poo out of him for (presumably) looking so stupid.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Carlioo posted:

I really just want Ghost Train to smash the poo poo out of him for (presumably) looking so stupid.

It's positively criminal that Zack framed that last panel so as to deprive us of the train's reaction to this fresh bullshit.

(I love this page)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
This didn't have to happen Spender, you absolute loving moron.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That looks like the hole that Eightfold came out of her book with, guess Shadow Monster is coming out to play.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=294

ahahahahaha holy loving poo poo that first panel

I can't stop laughing

it's perfect

e: Also I love seeing Isabel and Max fall into a comedy duo. This is the buddy cop pairing I've been waiting for.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 6, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Max's face in the second to last panel :lol:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The best part about Spender's fusion form is it is 100% anime badass Bleach outfit...except for the glasses. The fact that it plays to stereotype and adds a cherry on top to ruin/improve the whole look is just perfect.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

If Isabel hugging Max seems out of character, keep in mind that it was also literally the first thing she did upon learning he was a Spectral.

Wow, not that the art was bad back then, but it sure has improved noticeably. It's almost as jarring as seeing the first page of Gunnerkrigg compared to the most recent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Nice job establishing that there's no danger and then staying in that form while you stand around chatting for several minutes, Spender you huge dork. I can't wait to hear what Lucifer has to say about that.

Also the shrink ray gag is great