Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

socketwrencher posted:

Reasons for asking this question:

1. Just wondering if it was actually possible. Seems like the answer is no.

2. Wanted to communicate privately with someone who is deeply concerned with privacy rights.

Thanks for the feedback and the link. Encryption may be an option.

Thanks to all for the additional comments and suggestions.

https://keybase.io/

use encrypted chat programs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

Are electric razors at all recyclable? My wife's great-uncle has maybe 20 old ones that are just sitting around, likely broken, and we'd like to get rid of them.

They can be taken to your local area's electronics disposal/scrap facility. Basically the same place they'd want you to take old TVs.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've been getting anonymous calls every day for the past week on my cell phone, any idea what it could be? Every time I answer, nothing, the call hangs up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kurtofan posted:

I've been getting anonymous calls every day for the past week on my cell phone, any idea what it could be? Every time I answer, nothing, the call hangs up.

Probably telemarketers. Try googling the number if there is one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mister Kingdom posted:

Probably telemarketers. Try googling the number.

Well I can't google the number since it's anonymous. Telemarketer is my guess too since they always hide their numbers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Probably telemarketers. Try googling the number.

Isn't that where the "anonymous" part comes in to play?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Isn't that where the "anonymous" part comes in to play?

Yes, I just realized that and fixed my post.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Any way to block anonymous calls on my cellphone?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Liam Emsa posted:

https://keybase.io/

use encrypted chat programs

Thanks, looks interesting. There's a sign up queue but I put in my request.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Kurtofan posted:

Any way to block anonymous calls on my cellphone?

My phone (the galaxy S4) has a option to automatically screen calls if the person isn't in my contact list. Poke around in your options or google your phone + block calls? :)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's it like being Black in Southern California?

I've always wanted to ask but holy poo poo there is no right way to ask that question to a person's face.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

What's it like being Black in Southern California?

I've always wanted to ask but holy poo poo there is no right way to ask that question to a person's face.

SoCal is a large place. Do you want the opinion of a Black person in Beverly Hills or Compton?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is this? It was growing in a gutter near my house and was pretty big. A few feet long and probably 7 or 8 inches wide. I've never seen fungus like this around here.

E: sorry for table breakage I posted from my phone and don't know how to thumbnail an imgur image after I've left the upload page.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 4, 2014

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

NESguerilla posted:

What is this? It was growing in a gutter near my house and was pretty big. A few feet long and probably 7 or 8 inches wide. I've never seen fungus like this around here.

E: sorry for table breakage I posted from my phone and don't know how to thumbnail an imgur image after I've left the upload page.

Can't answer the first, but you can just add 's' 'm' or 'l' to the filename (as I've done)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

KnifeWrench posted:

Can't answer the first, but you can just add 's' 'm' or 'l' to the filename (as I've done)

There's timg too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So some stupid person with a name that must be similar to mine has been trying to make email addresses. It seems like they don't know how to spell their gmail account name correctly because their security confirmations keep coming to me.

Is there any way that I can get in touch with this person to let them know that they're loving this up?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Looks like pizza

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Yeah that's pizza, OP.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

tuyop posted:

So some stupid person with a name that must be similar to mine has been trying to make email addresses. It seems like they don't know how to spell their gmail account name correctly because their security confirmations keep coming to me.

Is there any way that I can get in touch with this person to let them know that they're loving this up?
Nope, this same thing happened to me! The guy was a complete idiot and did it for years. Finally he ended up registering for something that put his phone number in the confirmation email. I called him and told him to stop and that worked somehow.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liam Emsa posted:

SoCal is a large place. Do you want the opinion of a Black person in Beverly Hills or Compton?

I grew up between Compton and Inglewood, so I guess somewhere like that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So according to Wolfram Alpha, if I bike 100 miles at 14 mph I burn a bit over 4000 calories, and I will burn 1.21 lbs of fat. Assuming that's the case, is that all burned during the ride? Like, if we could control for the amount of fluid I drink and the amount of sweat I lose and any other necessary factors, would I literally have 1.21 lbs less fat after the ride?

I guess along those lines, what exactly happens when fat is metabolized? I mean the fat is broken down, but how do I become lighter? It turns into X and X leaves the body by some method or other. That weight has to go somewhere. But mass can't be created or destroyed, right? Only transformed into energy via nuclear reactions, but I'm p sure I don't have a reactor core in my body.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

regulargonzalez posted:

So according to Wolfram Alpha, if I bike 100 miles at 14 mph I burn a bit over 4000 calories, and I will burn 1.21 lbs of fat. Assuming that's the case, is that all burned during the ride? Like, if we could control for the amount of fluid I drink and the amount of sweat I lose and any other necessary factors, would I literally have 1.21 lbs less fat after the ride?

I guess along those lines, what exactly happens when fat is metabolized? I mean the fat is broken down, but how do I become lighter? It turns into X and X leaves the body by some method or other. That weight has to go somewhere. But mass can't be created or destroyed, right? Only transformed into energy via nuclear reactions, but I'm p sure I don't have a reactor core in my body.

After your next poo you will be 1.3 lbs lighter +/- weight you sweat, cry, pee out.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

regulargonzalez posted:

All mass can be converted into energy, not just via nuclear reactions. It are incredibly tiny reactions (energy-wise) that take place all over your body during your bike ride, but you have trillions of cells doing them. But still, the majority of weight loss will be small molecules getting excreted in some way or another.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Fat is basically a lot of carbon and hydrogen. The carbon leaves as CO2, carbon dioxide, and the hydrogen as H2O, water. The fat is in the form of long strings of carbons with hydrogen and some other stuff on the side, and when the long chains get broken up into little bits, it releases energy. Gasoline is basically the same thing as fat, and you burning fat is analogous to a car burning gas in an engine, and in both cases the fuel (fat or gas) ends up as stuff in the air.

edit: Basically, plants take carbon and hydrogen from CO2 and H2O in the air, use sunlight to chain them into sugar, and then use the sugar to grow. When a plant grows, most of the actual plant comes from CO2 in the air, instead of stuff from the ground. Herbivores eat the plants, breaking down the sugar back into energy, and the carbon escapes as CO2. When you exhale, you're breathing out carbon that wasn't in the air before, and if you get stuck in a sealed room, you'll run out of plain oxygen to attach carbon to. Plants and animals doing their thing is a way of using sunlight to move carbon (along with other stuff) around a lot.
I mean that's all extremely simplified.

zachol fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 5, 2014

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I no longer have my beautiful gaming PC, and I have a sudden fetish for Skyrim. Before I install Steam and install it, the only PC I have is a laptop with 6GB RAM and a Celeron B815 processor. I know it's poo poo, but could I get a decent frame rate even in ugly mode?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I dont think fetish is the word you want.
e: and your processor is a little slower than the minimum system requirements. It wants 2.0GHZ and it sounds like you've got 1.6.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 5, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I no longer have my beautiful gaming PC, and I have a sudden fetish for Skyrim. Before I install Steam and install it, the only PC I have is a laptop with 6GB RAM and a Celeron B815 processor. I know it's poo poo, but could I get a decent frame rate even in ugly mode?

Why don't you just go to can I run it or something?

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

Mr. Squishy posted:

I dont think fetish is the word you want.

With the Nexus nude mods it is.

Ah alas. Looks like I'll just have to wait until I get a decent PC. Cheers.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know that it's probably illegal in the US to buy some video games, open up a store, and charge people per the hour to play them, but what specific laws prohibit this?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Volume posted:

I know that it's probably illegal in the US to buy some video games, open up a store, and charge people per the hour to play them, but what specific laws prohibit this?

That's not illegal, so none do. However some games do have a license that requires you to purchase a business license for such a thing and if you don't do it they can sue you over it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volume posted:

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's not illegal, so none do. However some games do have a license that requires you to purchase a business license for such a thing and if you don't do it they can sue you over it.

It's not illegal, there was a place down the street that charged us 75c for 15 minutes to play Halo: Combat Evolved on the Xbox.

I would rather not say how much I spent in 75c increments to beat FF7

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Do I have to protect firewood from the elements?

I've had a tarp over this pile for a month, and it stayed dry and burns fine. Finally got a rack (and will need another), but do I do anything to the wood in the rack to protect it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

uwaeve posted:

I've had a tarp over this pile for a month, and it stayed dry and burns fine. Finally got a rack (and will need another), but do I do anything to the wood in the rack to protect it?

Yeah just put the tarp back over it when it's on the rack so you don't have to worry about it getting wet and being more difficult to burn.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

uwaeve posted:

It depends quite a bit on where you live. Generally, getting air around your wood and exposing it to sunlight is more important than covering it from rain. It's a bit counterintuitive to a lot of people. In other words, cover the top with a sheet of lovely plywood that overlaps the sides maybe a foot. Or use a folded tarp just sitting on the top layer. Stack it so it's loose. If you're doing a few rows side by side, they should be spaced a few inches apart. If you have a mouser cat, might as well have it be a cat's width between rows. Don't cover the entire thing with a tarp because you'll trap moisture and get mildew. Store it away from your house so that it's exposed to sun and air on both sides and isn't a fire hazard.

You'll notice that professional firewood places season their wood in big loving uncovered piles that they turn over and spread out. Yeah, it gets rained on, but that rain evaporates quickly and then the sun is helping dry out the core of the wood. The good of it being exposed to sun and air outweighs the negative of being exposed to rain.

But this depends on where you live. If it's raining all the loving time, you might as well cover it. If you're dealing with snow more than a few days in the winter, that's also a problem.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

This isn't possible. There's a reason that riders consume large quantities of both water and food during rides like that. You wouldn't be able to sustain any kind of performance and you need to replenish the energy reserves in your body. You might burn 4000 calories, but you'll be adding in a bunch as well. When people do centuries (100 milers) like that, they'll often literally eat regular food during the rides.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Liam Emsa posted:

This isn't possible. There's a reason that riders consume large quantities of both water and food during rides like that. You wouldn't be able to sustain any kind of performance and you need to replenish the energy reserves in your body. You might burn 4000 calories, but you'll be adding in a bunch as well. When people do centuries (100 milers) like that, they'll often literally eat regular food during the rides.

I'm kind of wondering about that. What is the rate of carbohydrate absorption in the gut? Because I've bonked hard on rides and eating like a handful of rice or gummy bears will fix me right up pretty quickly, but I thought it had to be some kind of placebo effect or something because it doesn't seem like I'd be able to digest the food that quickly.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

tuyop posted:

I'm kind of wondering about that. What is the rate of carbohydrate absorption in the gut? Because I've bonked hard on rides and eating like a handful of rice or gummy bears will fix me right up pretty quickly, but I thought it had to be some kind of placebo effect or something because it doesn't seem like I'd be able to digest the food that quickly.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11436193

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Meatwave posted:

It depends quite a bit on where you live. Generally, getting air around your wood and exposing it to sunlight is more important than covering it from rain. It's a bit counterintuitive to a lot of people. In other words, cover the top with a sheet of lovely plywood that overlaps the sides maybe a foot. Or use a folded tarp just sitting on the top layer. Stack it so it's loose. If you're doing a few rows side by side, they should be spaced a few inches apart. If you have a mouser cat, might as well have it be a cat's width between rows. Don't cover the entire thing with a tarp because you'll trap moisture and get mildew. Store it away from your house so that it's exposed to sun and air on both sides and isn't a fire hazard.

You'll notice that professional firewood places season their wood in big loving uncovered piles that they turn over and spread out. Yeah, it gets rained on, but that rain evaporates quickly and then the sun is helping dry out the core of the wood. The good of it being exposed to sun and air outweighs the negative of being exposed to rain.

But this depends on where you live. If it's raining all the loving time, you might as well cover it. If you're dealing with snow more than a few days in the winter, that's also a problem.

I come from the Canadian east coast and lived in a house that relies on woodfire for heating most of my life. It gets pretty wet there and I can confirm that this advice is all you need. The most important thing is keeping the bottom row(s) of wood off the ground because they'll just sop up moisture from the ground and may rot and collapse the stack. That rack of yours already takes care of that, so no worries there. Even then that's only a big deal if you have stacks of a few thousand pieces of wood in your yard all year and your survival depends on them :v:

We covered our wood only during the winter. Having your wood buried in wet snow for several months is a bit of a different problem than an occasional summer rainfall.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

tuyop posted:

If what I hear from my paleo friends is correct :rolleyes:, eating carbs tells your body that you're not starving to death anymore (the human "default mode" over the past million years or so), that it's OK to release glucose right now, and to start gearing up to produce fat in this time of plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I come from the Canadian east coast and lived in a house that relies on woodfire for heating most of my life. It gets pretty wet there and I can confirm that this advice is all you need. The most important thing is keeping the bottom row(s) of wood off the ground because they'll just sop up moisture from the ground and may rot and collapse the stack. That rack of yours already takes care of that, so no worries there. Even then that's only a big deal if you have stacks of a few thousand pieces of wood in your yard all year and your survival depends on them :v:

We covered our wood only during the winter. Having your wood buried in wet snow for several months is a bit of a different problem than an occasional summer rainfall.

Mainer checking in and, same; the only thing I'll add is that he needs to make sure that rack isn't touching the house. That siding looks like it's vinyl but still.