Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

redshirt posted:

I think it's a punishment, actually.

I bet you can't get demodded faster than I was :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Ster Trak Annoyager

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Cool we have a Star Trek mod again, and this one isn't super uptight and a pedophile.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Costello Jello posted:

Cool we have a Star Trek mod again, and this one isn't super uptight and a pedophile.

Not a TVIV mod, there's the catch.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

I haven't done anything yet, and I've already been called uptight, so I don't think I can win that battle.

Also, Enterprise and Nemesis killed my inner Trekkie. Voyager/Insurrection set the ground.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

First Contact best movie. Well, and Star Trek IV.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Literally watching Enterprise Season 4 right now. It's actually excellent.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Literally watching Enterprise Season 4 right now. It's actually excellent.

I couldn't make it to season 4, and the last episode seemed to confirm my decision. But I've seen enough people say it's good, so I might try it... eventually.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Enterprise Season 4 is what Season 1 should have been, i.e. actually pretty good and true to the premise of the show. I only just watched it 2 years ago, since I quit watching Enterprise after season 2.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So far the only references to past seasons are: Jeffrey Combs, people recognizing that Archer saved Earth from the Xindi (spoilers~~), and a brief reminder that T'Pol has Space AIDS. I'm really liking the presence of an overarching plot, reminds me a lot of DS9. Plus there's a 3-parter with motherfuckin' Brent Spiner in it and I love Brent Spiner. Dude can act his fuckin' rear end off, it's a shame he didn't get more famous.

Apollodorus posted:

Enterprise Season 4 is what Season 1 should have been, i.e. actually pretty good and true to the premise of the show. I only just watched it 2 years ago, since I quit watching Enterprise after season 2.

I agree with this assessment thus far. Plus there's one episode in particular, Daedalus, that feels like it's straight up channeling the ghost of Next Generation.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS!

This is the best episode.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Say what you want about Gul Dukat but at least he made the shuttles run on time!

redshirt posted:

I couldn't make it to season 4, and the last episode seemed to confirm my decision. But I've seen enough people say it's good, so I might try it... eventually.

Season 4 is worth it. I'd even suggest starting with Season 3, since that's where Manny Coto came in and pretty much everything from the midseason finale onwards is golden. And even before that you've got forgotten gems like North Star that are TOS as gently caress. And Jeffrey Combs.

Forget the series finale. The two-parter immediately before that serves just fine as the true conclusion. If anything, the official finale feels more like a really weird epilogue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Delsaber posted:

Season 4 is worth it. I'd even suggest starting with Season 3, since that's where Manny Coto came in

Coto took over with 4. He was a writer on 3 for a few episodes.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS!

This is the best episode.

This is truly the most hilarious episode of Star Trek ever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I legitimately laughed out loud during that episode. The scene of Dukat casually mincing and gloating around ops while disruptor beams fly about the room is amazing.

wait here it is

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 6, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I love his little "welp" hand clap at the very end.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
start rekt: deep smoked my rear end off

star trek: the anime series

star trek: deep poo poo nin-... dip lovely... GO gently caress YOURSELF

star trek: just watch the first season of seaQuest DSV

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

season one of seaquest, great captain plus they have darwin as NOT HUMAN character

its pretty good star trekkin'

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also best bridge set in the history of ever

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also best bridge set in the history of ever

It's up there, but it's gonna take a lot to beat Galactica CIC for me.

Even if it didn't have cool arches and dolphin tanks. Or giant pressure doors of doom that dramatically sealed to let you know poo poo was getting serious.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 6, 2014

Hedgehog King
Feb 7, 2005
It's just after lunch time on a Thursday. Do you know where your towel is?
I have a quick question about the first episode of Voyager.

The whole reason they didn't use the Caretaker's technology to send themselves back home was that Kes's people would be mistreated if the other aliens got their hands on the technology. And they couldn't send everyone home and make sure that the slaver aliens didn't get the Array.

If they had "Tri-Cobalt Devices" or whatever that could destroy the Caretaker's Array, and an engineer on board who used to be a terrorist (up until that morning in fact), why couldn't they just rig up a timer?

They could set it to go off after they get sent home. The slaver's don't get the technology, Kes's people are safe, the Voyager crew gets to go home, and we don't have to watch Neelix for 7 seasons. Everyone wins!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hedgehog King posted:

The whole reason they didn't use the Caretaker's technology to send themselves back home was that Kes's people would be mistreated if the other aliens got their hands on the technology. And they couldn't send everyone home and make sure that the slaver aliens didn't get the Array.

If they had "Tri-Cobalt Devices" or whatever that could destroy the Caretaker's Array, and an engineer on board who used to be a terrorist (up until that morning in fact), why couldn't they just rig up a timer?

They could set it to go off after they get sent home. The slaver's don't get the technology, Kes's people are safe, the Voyager crew gets to go home, and we don't have to watch Neelix for 7 seasons. Everyone wins!

You know that episode of DS9 where the crazy woman strands a bunch of people on a planet so she can rule them and work them like slaves who worship her? That's basically Janeway. She sees an opportunity to become god-captain of a starship and does everything in her power to prolong the experience. There's absolutely no other explanation for Voyager and her constant refusal to ever take the easy ways home.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Galaxy Quest is easily the most underappreciated Star Trek.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Hedgehog King posted:

if we assume that time bombs can't exist (i guess the EVIL ALIENS could have disarmed it somehow) then why couldnt janeway stay behind and set it off herself, she's a science officer and knows about that poo poo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Someone literally asks that question. The answer was, we can't be absolutely sure it would work or somesuch. But yeah, Janeway should have stayed behind. I know for a fact that Archer would have stayed behind, that dude has some kind of deathwish.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MizPiz posted:

Master and Commander is easily the most underappreciated Star Trek.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

that movie is so good, holy poo poo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
it would have been funnier if it was Q that did it. sent them there for some convoluted test of humanity then forgot to send them back by the end of the episode. by the 5th season there is a cult of Q who worship him in the hopes of getting his attention to send them back after all the horrors they have seen.

he never does

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

zombie303 posted:

First Contact best movie. Well, and Star Trek IV.
After the Red Letter Media review for First Contact made me aware of the whole 'Two Picards' thing, I haven't been able to enjoy the TNG movies.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

unlimited shrimp posted:

After the Red Letter Media review for First Contact made me aware of the whole 'Two Picards' thing, I haven't been able to enjoy the TNG movies.

What's this?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Picard's character in the series is that of a diplomat, and in the movies is that of an action hero

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I remember the Picard that put on that badass black stealth suit and tried to infiltrate some poo poo with Worf and Beverley. Or that goes back into the past to bang his old girlfriend and get into fistfights. Or that teams up with Riker to literally explode some dude's head off. Or that chokes out Tuvok during some maintenance.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 6, 2014

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I remember the Picard that put on that badass black stealth suit and tried to infiltrate some poo poo with Worf and Beverley. Or that goes back into the past to bang his old girlfriend and get into fistfights.

yeah and when he tries that he gets captured and forced to eat gross cardassian eggs and stuff

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

My mistake.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Picard's character in the series is that of a diplomat, and in the movies is that of an action hero
It's more than that. Like in First Contact he's irrationally angry and vengeful toward the Borg but in the timeline/show he's already dealt with these emotions and had already encountered the Borg again since Wolf 359 without completely losing his poo poo. He even rejects the notion of a Borg genocide after Wolf 359, whereas in First Contact he's a raving lunatic who wants all the Borg to die.

He's a fairly consistent character throughout the series, but in the movies, he's whatever the plot requires. I can't remember if he strayed very much in Generations or Insurrection, but the Picard from Nemesis and First Contact is not the same character as the Picard from TNG.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

First Contact is kind of bad Star Trek but it's a great scifi action movie, which puts it miles above everything after it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

unlimited shrimp posted:

He's a fairly consistent character throughout the series, but in the movies, he's whatever the plot requires Patrick Stewart felt like doing.

Patrick Stewart was known to have pushed for Picard to be more active even way back into TNG.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Rutibex posted:

it would have been funnier if it was Q that did it. sent them there for some convoluted test of humanity then forgot to send them back by the end of the episode. by the 5th season there is a cult of Q who worship him in the hopes of getting his attention to send them back after all the horrors they have seen.

he never does

I would watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

It's up there, but it's gonna take a lot to beat Galactica CIC for me.

Even if it didn't have cool arches and dolphin tanks. Or giant pressure doors of doom that dramatically sealed to let you know poo poo was getting serious.

Or the huge rear-projection screens. I wonder how huge a pain in the rear end those were to work with.

• Locked thread