Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

The first two seasons are terrible but give the third one a chance, it's back up to the same quality as the original.

It was good, but not as good. Some things were pretty dumb, like Kora not being able to lava bend, even though the original showed Roku and Ang lava bending*I do like it, but a lot of it's appeal, for me at least, comes from how great the original is.

*e: if anything, this is my irritating moment, all those scenes felt like fake tension, because I knew lava wasn't a threat to Kora. It's like the writers forgot they had the last two Avatars literally fight volcanoes.

Aggressive pricing has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My main beef is the entire time leap. Because nothing great happened in, say, the USA in between 1930 and 1990, to compare the skip in avatar. Easy to gloss it over!

Also Korra herself didn't have any of the growth aang did. She started out knowing three of the four elements before the drat show really started. Aang we watched learn and struggle.

But aang being such a bigot to his kids, seriously. The gently caress was that about? And don't get me started on the 'omg new airbenders from nothing' poo poo.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

But aang being such a bigot to his kids, seriously.

Yeah, that was really out of character, the guy who bonds with a lemur in two minutes not spending time with his kids makes no sense at all. Non-benders must have had a role in the air-nomad society, but you'd never know it from the show.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Half the drama of both Avatar series is built on daddy and mommy issues, I don't know what to tell you.

Now, my complaint is with Bolin learning lava bending. I totally saw it coming, but when it happened it was totally underwhelming and they just went, "welp, that's a thing now."

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Trent posted:

the cube wasn't completely explained. It could have still been running off the enterprise computer, but it may have been self-contained. Perhaps once he was created, it took less power to keep him going?

It's not clear what Vic was, either, but Quarks' holosuites were linked to the whole station's computer and once held the minds of several crewmembers who got lost in the transporter buffer.

The Doctor's program got so big that they had to delete/overwrite the other major hologram in the computer to contain him, and Voyager surely represented a leap in computer power compared to the Ent-D what with the BIONEURALGELPACKS and all.

That only happened because doc was trying to fill his programing with poo poo like singing and what not.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Trent posted:

Don't get me started with B4.

Dr. Soong: I'm gonna call him B4, because I'm making him before I eventually make those other robots that people in my future will be familiar with. Pretty clever, huh?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Dr. Soong: I'm gonna call him B4, because I'm making him before I eventually make those other robots that people in my future will be familiar with. Pretty clever, huh?

Maybe his thing from our present was the movie Battleship?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Here's a more generally irritating movie moment that happens a lot in action and crime flicks:

The detectives bust into the suspect's house. He's standing there holding a gun/knife to the victim. "I'll kill her!" he says. "Put the guns down!"

Of course, there's no actual risk of the victim getting killed if he already has a bullet or two in the brain. These shots aren't taken, because that's not how it works in movies. But what other choice do you have at that point, you can put your guns down and risk even more people dying, or take the shot and risk at most one innocent casualty.

The scenes work out with zero losses most of the time anyway, but it's just irritating how they play out. Irrationally irritating.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Thoughtless posted:

Here's a more generally irritating movie moment that happens a lot in action and crime flicks:

The detectives bust into the suspect's house. He's standing there holding a gun/knife to the victim. "I'll kill her!" he says. "Put the guns down!"

Of course, there's no actual risk of the victim getting killed if he already has a bullet or two in the brain. These shots aren't taken, because that's not how it works in movies. But what other choice do you have at that point, you can put your guns down and risk even more people dying, or take the shot and risk at most one innocent casualty.

The scenes work out with zero losses most of the time anyway, but it's just irritating how they play out. Irrationally irritating.

The hostage taker is always showing their head away from the hostage, and the police officer or whoever is at spitting distance and already aiming at them. Just loving shoot their melon. Or do a 'dirty shot' where you shoot through the hostage, as opposed to a clean one. But yeah, depending on the movie or show, it won't happen that way.

e: I can't think of any specific examples right now, but there has been some subverted tropes of this one where the good guy just shoots the bad guy without any delay and stupid dialogue. It's not as bad a cliché as hearing out the villain's master plan, but it's pretty close.

old bean factory has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Oct 4, 2014

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
See, that's one area Taken is not irrationally irritating. Buck that trend!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

mng posted:

e: I can't think of any specific examples right now, but there has been some subverted tropes of this one where the good guy just shoots the bad guy without any delay and stupid dialogue. It's not as bad a cliché as hearing out the villain's master plan, but it's pretty close.

I did like that in Dredd's opening scene when the perp takes the woman hostage and he's all "I'll kill her!" And Dredd is just "whatever" and shoots him right in the mouth with a bullet that melts his face

There was a bit of stupid dialogue but I liked the reveal that Dredd was actually telling his gun to use a certain type of bullet instead of actually conversing with the guy.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He was telling his gun to use a whatever bullet?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

yeah. Voice commanded poo poo, who needs levers in the future?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

He was telling his gun to use a whatever bullet?

Yeah I just got around to watching it the other day and he does it several times.

Also, regarding the "dirty shot" no honorable mention for Speed?

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

mng posted:

The hostage taker is always showing their head away from the hostage, and the police officer or whoever is at spitting distance and already aiming at them. Just loving shoot their melon. Or do a 'dirty shot' where you shoot through the hostage, as opposed to a clean one. But yeah, depending on the movie or show, it won't happen that way.

Not to be the internet guy that thinks Firefly is the be-all-end-all of entertainment, but this scene is pretty much the first time I saw that particular trope subverted and it blew my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP9eiXMPLcQ

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mng posted:

Not a movie, but it happens in the PS3 game The Last of Us. (spoilers for this years-old game) Main character Joel has just yanked surrogate daughter Ellie from the hands of the Fireflies, a group seeking to cure the They're Not Actually Zombies plague or at least find out what makes it all tick, but have been thoroughly unsuccessful. He has the antagonist, former friend of his pointing a gun at him and trying to prevent his escape. She starts a speech about how he can change things at the last minute and give up and walk away but then he just shoots her in the gut because gently caress that. She's on the ground begging him to not kill her but he finishes her off after saying "you'll just come after her."

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
The best example of this is Robocop where he x-ray visions through the hostage's skirt and shoots her assailant in the dick. Dick shots erryday.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Stargate posted:

The best example of this is Robocop where he x-ray visions through the hostage's skirt and shoots her assailant in the dick. Dick shots erryday.

:nws: and if you're squeamish like me :nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx2GuZMfNp8

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
Pro-click right there. That's hilarious

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
In the original RoboCop he also shoots a hostage taker through the victim's skirt.

Edit. I should have refreshed this tab. 😢

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

This really deserves to be mentioned whenever the relevant Robocop scene is, it's loving beautiful.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
First place I saw it was Cowboy Bebop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42LnPFs61WM

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

You should probably just go and watch Captain Philips because not only does that occur but it's all 100% true.

Edit: And for content, Gone Girl has so many holes in the perfect plan to fake my own death it's ridiculous. The whole thing at the end hinges on the police being too lazy to do even the most cursory inspection of the lake house and everyone just going "well gently caress it I guess bitches be crazy!".

I haven't laughed that much at a film in a while, not 100% sure I was supposed to though.

Powerful Two-Hander has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Oct 5, 2014

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Robocop why does every OCP conference room have a loaded .50 Desert Eagle in it?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Speaking of Robocop why does every OCP conference room have a loaded .50 Desert Eagle in it?

Because Detroit.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Because if you aren't applauding your boss' ideas, you'll get loving got.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Is hard to believe that a movie whose premise hinges on Detroit being a hellish shithole has only become more accurate with time.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I think it was left over from the ED-209 demo. Someone just put it back in the case and if got left there.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Armyman25 posted:

I think it was left over from the ED-209 demo. Someone just put it back in the case and if got left there.

Ayup, that's it.

Fun fact: Robocop was originally supposed to use the Desert Eagle, but it looked too small in his hand :v:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Watching Robocop again makes me really miss squibs and blood packets. Digital gore is so fake looking.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Totally agree. I still get shocked when I watch the brutal shooting of Murphy and the movie is loving ancient. Then look at Rambo (2008) for example; all of the CGI blood is just distracting and could easily have been practical effects. As much as CGI has improved over the years there are still some things that it just can't do right, especially fluids it seems. The Thing, Terminator 1+2, Robocop, Alien(s) still hold up to this day. It can look cheesy and you can point at something and say 'ha, that's a dummy!', but it still looks, well, real. Our brains are weird.

e: I watched Exam the other night and at one single camera shot, a guy's pistol changes from a Glock to a Sig Sauer, then back to a Glock again. There is only the one gun in the entire movie, but somehow that slides through. I guess my irritation is mostly when it continues to happen in movies or TV series where they are many guns present and the prop/armory guys miss something, but that one instant just puzzled me.

old bean factory has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Oct 5, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
More complaining about star trek. No one ever wear any sort of protective equipment. Just those spandex suits. Beaming into an unknown ship: no space suit. A ship they know is on fire: no protection or air source. No armor or even a helmet when they're going into a fight.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

mng posted:

e: I watched Exam the other night and at one single camera shot, a guy's pistol changes from a Glock to a Sig Sauer, then back to a Glock again. There is only the one gun in the entire movie, but somehow that slides through. I guess my irritation is mostly when it continues to happen in movies or TV series where they are many guns present and the prop/armory guys miss something, but that one instant just puzzled me.

"Okay, we gotta re-shoot this scene. gently caress, where is his gun? Yo, Johnny Intern, go get a gun from the prop room, okay?"

This sort of thing kills me, too. A gun is like any other prop, but you don't see toasters, laptops, coffee mugs, or whatever just up and change nearly as much as guns get messed up.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Why did the Predator kill Poncho? Dude was seriously wounded and completely helpless.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Why did the Predator kill Poncho? Dude was seriously wounded and completely helpless.

But he had a gun!

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I keep forgetting that the dude dies. Should've lived :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I figured it was because Poncho was dangerous before and just because he's hurt doesn't change anything. Predator still hunted him and needed his trophy. Once a threat, always a threat.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr_Amazing posted:

More complaining about star trek. No one ever wear any sort of protective equipment. Just those spandex suits. Beaming into an unknown ship: no space suit. A ship they know is on fire: no protection or air source. No armor or even a helmet when they're going into a fight.

I'm irrationally irritated when they do occasionally have those things, because they've already established that we're not supposed to loving worry about it and just enjoy the heroes doing things, but then occasionally it matters because mediocre writing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr_Amazing posted:

Not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's been awhile since I saw it, was he injured by the Predator? That'd be finishing a kill. You wouldn't leave a deer limping away if your shot didn't kill them.