Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

Sam. posted:

The interface for that is pretty unintuitive, and I think the mod may be too big.

The mod is too big for the workshop, we're working on a workaround to harbour larger mods in there at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Here's a dumb question for you guys. I just bought CK2 and EUIV on Steam sale and I'd love to check out the forums for CK2. Unfortunately the forums are tied to a key and I got no key. I went to get support and they require a key too so I'm kind of stuck at finding how how to get into the forums at this point. Any advice?

This game is so daunting. I spent an hour staring at the screen incredibly confused, click on people and do things but I'm never quite sure if anything is happening. This should be fun.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

he1ixx posted:

Here's a dumb question for you guys. I just bought CK2 and EUIV on Steam sale and I'd love to check out the forums for CK2. Unfortunately the forums are tied to a key and I got no key. I went to get support and they require a key too so I'm kind of stuck at finding how how to get into the forums at this point. Any advice?

This game is so daunting. I spent an hour staring at the screen incredibly confused, click on people and do things but I'm never quite sure if anything is happening. This should be fun.

There should be a key included with your purchases, if you check them out in your Steam library there should be a "Show CD Key" button to the right I believe.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Serperoth posted:

There should be a key included with your purchases, if you check them out in your Steam library there should be a "Show CD Key" button to the right I believe.

I know the spot you're talking about. There was a spot for CD key when I select EUIV but not CK2 for some reason.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

he1ixx posted:

I know the spot you're talking about. There was a spot for CD key when I select EUIV but not CK2 for some reason.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I've had CKII for years. I seem to remember a cd-key popping up in the corner for a while but now for the life of me I can't find it.

That combined with the fact that apparently I hace two or three usernames tied to my e-mail because I keep trying to register and then give up every so often has really turned me off of ever actually using those forums.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

he1ixx posted:

It is fun. Check out this mega-thread with different tutorials. That should help you when starting out. There was also a video tutorial series linked by some guy, but I can't quite remember what that link was. Someone will surely know what I'm talking about and post it here. I hope.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

he1ixx posted:

Generation Internet posted:

I'm in the same boat as you, and I've had CKII for years. I seem to remember a cd-key popping up in the corner for a while but now for the life of me I can't find it.

That combined with the fact that apparently I hace two or three usernames tied to my e-mail because I keep trying to register and then give up every so often has really turned me off of ever actually using those forums.

It's because I believe Crusader Kings II is having a free weekend, so the CD Key isn't viewable on Steam until it's over. Even if you actually own the game and aren't just trying it out. It's dumb, I know but there you go. It should be viewable again in a few hours.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Strudel Man posted:

Man. I started up another game today after a long time without playing, and there's still the bug where bastard children pop out half the time with no father whatsoever. Bugs the heck out of me, since it makes lovers mostly pointless, and of course it always seems like it's the strong ones that everybody apparently decides to be a virgin birth.

It's not a bug. Sometimes a bastard's father is known and sometimes it isn't. It IS somewhat annoying that if the father is unknown at birth then you're not allowed to acknowledge or legitimize him as yours.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have the game open right now, but somewhere in the shift-tab interface, there's a way to re-enable that pop-up that shows the CD key. It was really easy to find iirc. That was just a few weeks ago, so it should be there for you.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Thanks guys I'll take a look. It also sounds like it'll be resolved in a few hours one way or the other regardless. This game is pretty cool so far. I've fallen down a rabbit hole and broken both ankles though since it looks really all-consuming. It's also good that I'm starting this in the Fall since it really make my laptop fans run and it'll help heat my house this winter.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Man, After the End is so awesome and impressive. Also it's really cool you have Louisiana's name change to Louisiane when ruled by Cajuns and Lwizyan when ruled by Creoles.

Is that Comancheria up on the github version?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

:getin: yesyesyesyes empire of the summer moon here i come

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Man, After the End is so awesome and impressive. Also it's really cool you have Louisiana's name change to Louisiane when ruled by Cajuns and Lwizyan when ruled by Creoles.

Yep! It's Catholic for the time being, though, and I kinda want to at least keep it the ruling religion of the land (Catholicism's by-and-large limited to the Great Plains and they really need some powers to prevent everything from being steamrolled) so maybe peyote funtimes can be added in later as a culture-related thing rather than strictly a Native American Church deal.

Funky Valentine posted:

:getin: yesyesyesyes empire of the summer moon here i come
They're a bit fragile on, mind you. Comancheria's a de jure title (had to do something with West Texas) but Comanche's only the provincial culture in two Oklahoma counties. The rest of it's all Texan or Tejano, and some of the major vassals under the Comanche king are likewise Texan and Tejano, so it's all a bit of a delicate situation.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I pulled my sprawling mega-empire into EUIV and it began to immediately collapse under its own weight, with revolts popping up every 2 weeks. It might be salvageable, but this is the first I've played EUIV and I have no idea what I'm doing. Does EUIV have a tutorial island equivalent I could fool around with?

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

I pulled my sprawling mega-empire into EUIV and it began to immediately collapse under its own weight, with revolts popping up every 2 weeks. It might be salvageable, but this is the first I've played EUIV and I have no idea what I'm doing. Does EUIV have a tutorial island equivalent I could fool around with?

France is basically god mode in EUIV

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Antwan3K posted:

France is basically god mode in EUIV

Especially because there is a good chance you'll end up with half of Burgundy for free via event.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ofaloaf posted:

Yep! It's Catholic for the time being, though, and I kinda want to at least keep it the ruling religion of the land (Catholicism's by-and-large limited to the Great Plains and they really need some powers to prevent everything from being steamrolled) so maybe peyote funtimes can be added in later as a culture-related thing rather than strictly a Native American Church deal.

Yeah, keeping the Great Plains Catholic is a good idea. As it stands, the Pope almost always declares a suicidal Crusade against Louisiana or the Revelationists, gets smashed, and then spends the next few decades getting eaten by the surrounding powers. The Americanists have a similar issue, where every game starts with the President declaring war against New York, before getting annihilated by the Merchant Republic there. Unless there's a way to reconfigure how the AI decides to crusade, this last issue might not be solvable.

I've also noticed that most of the Vanilla flavor text about Rome is still in the game. It might be a good idea to change all references of Rome to America.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's not a bug. Sometimes a bastard's father is known and sometimes it isn't. It IS somewhat annoying that if the father is unknown at birth then you're not allowed to acknowledge or legitimize him as yours.
It has to be a bug, because the woman in question should have a pretty good idea whose kid it is.

My best guess is that it's just doing a cuckoo impregnation, except there's no husband so 'nobody' is assumed to be the father.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
If the actual father gets the event to legitimize/acknowledge/renounce a child as his, then renouncing gives the kid no official father. That's intentional, as far as I know

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Strudel Man posted:

It has to be a bug, because the woman in question should have a pretty good idea whose kid it is.

My best guess is that it's just doing a cuckoo impregnation, except there's no husband so 'nobody' is assumed to be the father.

No, it is not a bug. What you are referring to is an explicit mechanic.

The idea is that fostering a child out of wedlock is such a serious indiscretion that you are trying to keep the matter quiet. If the bastard child's parent is announced, then either your attempts to silence the matter failed or the mother revealed your complicity in the affair. If the bastard child's parent is not displayed, then that means the affair was kept quiet.

It is also possible for two lovers to conceive a child and have the female lover's husband accept the child as his own. In this case, the husband will appear as the "father" but share the real parent's DNA.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Are we getting a new thread for Charlemagne? This one's getting pretty long and the OP still thinks the Old Gods is the latest DLC.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ofaloaf posted:

They're a bit fragile on, mind you. Comancheria's a de jure title (had to do something with West Texas) but Comanche's only the provincial culture in two Oklahoma counties. The rest of it's all Texan or Tejano, and some of the major vassals under the Comanche king are likewise Texan and Tejano, so it's all a bit of a delicate situation.

Look, I think we all need to know: will Chicago be Muslim?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jedit posted:

Look, I think we all need to know: will Chicago be Muslim?

Unless I'm getting whooshed here, it is already in the game as Rustbeltist or whatever it is, I believe.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chicago is, I believe, Catholic, but it is right next to a bunch of Rust Cultist states (not to mention the vikings across the lake) so it often does not last long.

It is, alas, not a republic like Detroit is.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

No, it is not a bug. What you are referring to is an explicit mechanic.

The idea is that fostering a child out of wedlock is such a serious indiscretion that you are trying to keep the matter quiet. If the bastard child's parent is announced, then either your attempts to silence the matter failed or the mother revealed your complicity in the affair. If the bastard child's parent is not displayed, then that means the affair was kept quiet.

It is also possible for two lovers to conceive a child and have the female lover's husband accept the child as his own. In this case, the husband will appear as the "father" but share the real parent's DNA.

Allyn posted:

If the actual father gets the event to legitimize/acknowledge/renounce a child as his, then renouncing gives the kid no official father. That's intentional, as far as I know
I'm talking about cases where the player-controlled character is the father, and the woman giving birth to the child has no husband, but the event to legitimize/acknowledge/renounce the child does not occur. That is the bug.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

That does seem correct. If you turn on char info, you'll see the difference when you hover over the pregnant woman. For some events that cause a pregnancy, it'll show up as " father X (bastard)". These ones popup the option to choose what to so. For other event based pregnancies, it doesn't list a father on char info display, so no option is given. Those ones will list (real father X), but don't seem to properly spawn the bastard event.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Bort Bortles posted:

Unless I'm getting whooshed here, it is already in the game as Rustbeltist or whatever it is, I believe.

The joke is about Obama.

Strudel Man posted:

I'm talking about cases where the player-controlled character is the father, and the woman giving birth to the child has no husband, but the event to legitimize/acknowledge/renounce the child does not occur. That is the bug.

From what I understand, the event only pops up if your adultery is revealed. The decision to legitimize/acknowledge/renounce the child is damage control.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

The event only pops up if your adultery is revealed. The decision to legitimize/acknowledge/renounce the child is damage control.
I certainly hope you're wrong about that being the intention, because the damage control is actively desirable, giving you the chance to gain a new member of your dynasty and potential heir at your own discretion. That damage control also occurred 100% of the time before the cuckoo mechanic was introduced, a mechanic which theoretically should not impact the perception of "unmarried mother" cases at all.

It makes essentially zero sense, as well, that your perception of your lover giving birth to a kid would be "A son was born to Lady MacBeth and an unknown father." A properly-functioning cuckoo birth lets the father know that the kid is actually his - it's not credible that a properly-functioning bastard birth would not.

edit: Further, the event text for the father's choice, when it occurs, is simply "It seems my amorous adventures have resulted in a child - little [From.GetFirstName] is my spitting image." Nothing about the affair being broadly revealed; it's just a birth announcement.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 6, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuoProQuid posted:

The joke is about Obama.

gently caress American politics.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Are Canadians too polite to holy war? My current king of Ontario is both zealous and ambitious but there are no holy war available even against the rust cultists.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GSD posted:

Chicago is, I believe, Catholic, but it is right next to a bunch of Rust Cultist states (not to mention the vikings across the lake) so it often does not last long.

It is, alas, not a republic like Detroit is.

I cannot wait for expanded event chains for the Rust Cult, they're a really cool idea.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I like how the first member of the Papacy in the mod is Petrus Romanus, nice touch :) How many legendary characters are there?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's because I believe Crusader Kings II is having a free weekend, so the CD Key isn't viewable on Steam until it's over. Even if you actually own the game and aren't just trying it out. It's dumb, I know but there you go. It should be viewable again in a few hours.

Free weekend and the sale are over and I still can't get the CD key (which I also know for a fact I had access to as recently as last week) anywhere. Anybody else?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Free weekend and the sale are over and I still can't get the CD key (which I also know for a fact I had access to as recently as last week) anywhere. Anybody else?

same. i have no idea what possessed me to register on the paradox forums this weekend but apparently it was bad timing.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I still think that registering bullshit needs to go away. It especially sucks when their forum wont register the CD-Key and you have to try repeatedly for a week until it finally goes through. Just let me look at the forums for gently caress's sake.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Turns out it wasn't actually too hard to rig up an event to fix the bugged bastard thing.

code:
character_event = {
	id = 317
	desc = EVTDESC300
	picture = GFX_evt_birth

is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = {
		was_conceived_a_bastard = yes
		real_father = { always = yes } 
		NOT = { father = { always = yes } }		#Has a 'real father' set, with no father - improper cuckoo birth.
	}

option = {
		name = OK

real_father = {
			ROOT = {
				set_father = PREV
			}
		}
		set_real_father = 0
		character_event = { id = 300 }
	}
}
Stuck it in the on_action.txt for childbirth. It checks to see if any bastards are born fatherless, but with a real father set. If they are, it makes their real father their father, and then fires the normal bastard event. Seems to work fine.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/203770/discussions/0/613937942980498750/

Paradox is being really lazy and haven't enabled Steam to display the CD Key again yet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I still think that registering bullshit needs to go away. It especially sucks when their forum wont register the CD-Key and you have to try repeatedly for a week until it finally goes through. Just let me look at the forums for gently caress's sake.

I guess the whole registering thing is so their forums dont get shat up by trolls that down own the game/so spammers cant just log in and spam ads/ect. It would be nice if we could all SEE the forums but you need to register to post? I really hate needing to register because of the aforementioned issues, and I wont go on the forums often. Usually I see a link to a cool mod or something then go "whelp, not registered, gently caress it".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Bort Bortles posted:

I guess the whole registering thing is so their forums dont get shat up by trolls that down own the game/so spammers cant just log in and spam ads/ect. It would be nice if we could all SEE the forums but you need to register to post? I really hate needing to register because of the aforementioned issues, and I wont go on the forums often. Usually I see a link to a cool mod or something then go "whelp, not registered, gently caress it".

I'm pretty sure that the CD key thing is their version of anti-piracy. If you want mods, support, or basically anything that isn't the game itself, you use the CD key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

TheMcD posted:

I'm pretty sure that the CD key thing is their version of anti-piracy. If you want mods, support, or basically anything that isn't the game itself, you use the CD key.

yes

• Locked thread