Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Alright I think I got everything up to here on the list. Thanks everyone. Next update should be almost as good as this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caffeinated Sloth
Apr 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to echo what others have said. I use this app all the time. Enough that it ranks highly in terms of battery usage. Tabs at bottom are nice, and everything else seems to work as expected. Great job!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Y'all better loving use and love "hide sidebar in landscape" on iPhone 6+. Ugh.

(Assuming I fixed it. I don't actually have a test device.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Actually on that note, does anyone with an iPhone 6+ want to jump on the beta train? None of the current testers have one. Be prepared to rotate your phone a lot and see more crashes than usual. Drop me a PM or otherwise get in touch, first person wins.

edit: All set, thanks!

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 7, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Beta train more like Gayta train

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Proteus4994 posted:

I know you're looking into it already but same here. iPad Air ios8.02

Edit: I also see the threads sliding around. Basically when I swipe to try to remove the sidebar it jiggles the thread instead

I've found a workaround that makes it bearable until the fix arrives.

Seems like the bug happens when I go back into my iPad mini after it was asleep and go into SA.app.

With the iPad in landscape mode and the stuck sidebar, go vertical, open the side bar, settings, turn hide in landscape mode off and on again, and bam. Now it'll hide for the rest of the session.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Can you make a setting so + size on fonts doesnt make usernames cover up text in posts. Just like make them not obey the magnification or whatever.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pan Ache posted:

Can you make a setting so + size on fonts doesnt make usernames cover up text in posts. Just like make them not obey the magnification or whatever.

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean? I've changed both my system and app text sizes to their highest settings and I'm not seeing any overlap.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Why is awful so eager to know if my phone is jailbroken or not, are you running on the Jailbroken == Pirated assumption or what?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sex Robot posted:

Why is awful so eager to know if my phone is jailbroken or not, are you running on the Jailbroken == Pirated assumption or what?

They don't want you to steal their free app, of course.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sex Robot posted:

What's this now? Awful doesn't give a poo poo about broken jails.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Let me know if there's any tweaks that might help. I only just learned about floaters the other day, someone wrote a good post about it, and I remember something about off-black being better than straight black and stuff like that.

I have a lot of very large floaters so this causes me quite a bit of trouble.

My feeling is that something like an off-white/lightish grey is good for the font. In normal use this might be something between the grey that you use for the 'killed by' text and the purest white that you can use.

I'm not so sure about the background; I think black is probably fine, but I'm not certain. I think I'd tend to find bluish backgrounds a bit jarring, but that might only be my personal preference.

I haven't been looking for a huge amount of time, but my perception is that this is the best implementation I've seen so far:

The menus have the full white (which is bad really), while the background has the black (which seems good to me), but the rest of the text has the sort of off-white/grey I'm trying to get at.

theadder fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 7, 2014

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread but is a clear cache function set to be in the works?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

theadder posted:

My feeling is that something like an off-white/lightish grey is good for the font. In normal use this might be something between the grey that you use for the 'killed by' text and the purest white that you can use.

I'm not so sure about the background; I think black is probably fine, but I'm not certain. I think I'd tend to find bluish backgrounds a bit jarring, but that might only be my personal preference.

I haven't been looking for a huge amount of time, but my perception is that this is the best implementation I've seen so far:

The menus have the full white (which is bad really), while the background has the black (which seems good to me), but the rest of the text has the sort of off-white/grey I'm trying to get at.

I didn't really read your post but I think I did skim it right and you should go into your awful settings and turn on "dark mode". I use it exclusively and it's the the tits.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

He's talking about dark mode.

Yeah I think like table headers have pure white. Something to think about but I wouldn't want to jump to any conclusion immediately.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Been having a bit of trouble with the image viewer on this post.

I can long tap to open it of course, and pinch it to zoom, but any attempt to scroll the image by swiping (independent of pinch/zoom) immediately exits the image viewer instead of scrolling.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Dark mode is pretty nice but the "new posts" numbers are too hard to see IMO.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Xabi posted:

They're bright orange.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's a hard case to argue for. However maybe one day we'll get to the new design for bookmark colors.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xabi posted:

I've used dark mode since it was introduced and usually have my iPhone 6 on lowest brightness.

You're going blind, bro.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When I'm in the sidebar, I can't swipe sideways to go back to the forums index from the thread list of an individual forum anymore. Is this intentional? My swipes just do nothing after the first one calls up the sidebar itself, with the thread list.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

What the hell, they're grey and blue here, i.e. same colour as the non-dark mode. What am I doing wrong?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They're grey and blue in forums. They're orange, red, or yellow in bookmarks to match the bookmark colors.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Xabi posted:

Yep, this. And yes, on the thread lists, not bookmarks.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm having issues getting embedded YouTube videos to play in this latest version. iPhone 5, 8.0.1.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

IllegallySober posted:

I'm having issues getting embedded YouTube videos to play in this latest version. iPhone 5, 8.0.1.
I don't think they activate when you hit the big red play button, but try tapping the bottom of their frame.

That worked for me in the iPad app.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
"Hide Sidebar in Landscape" doesn't seem to work for iPad anymore. Either that or the button's back to being a gesture and I can't figure it out.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

IllegallySober posted:

I'm having issues playing embedded youtube videos in every app. I figured it was youtube's problem. :confused:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Apologies if this was mentioned already - in the bookmarks pane thread ratings appear and disappear at random. I'll refresh the list and some will appear and some will vanish. Refresh again and it repeats, with different threads.

Not a huge deal, but it's bugging me a bit.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

5s, latest iOS.

The new versions seem to be...jittery. Whenever I scroll through threads, the scrolling is very stilted. Awful was completely smooth before this updafe. It's slight, and not a deal breaker, but I've never seen this in any iOS app. Anybody else seeing this?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

theadder posted:

This'll be good to keep on hand in the future too, thanks.

AOTKPTW posted:

I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread but is a clear cache function set to be in the works?

Yep, it's just a pain to implement right now due to my poor decisions.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Been having a bit of trouble with the image viewer on this post.

I can long tap to open it of course, and pinch it to zoom, but any attempt to scroll the image by swiping (independent of pinch/zoom) immediately exits the image viewer instead of scrolling.

It should work ok if you scroll a different direction than down to start with. I'll fix that up for the next version.

Xabi posted:

When they're dark blue? I've been meaning to bump them up a bit in brightness.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When I'm in the sidebar, I can't swipe sideways to go back to the forums index from the thread list of an individual forum anymore. Is this intentional? My swipes just do nothing after the first one calls up the sidebar itself, with the thread list.

Not intentional. We switched to Apple's built-in split view and it seems to no longer do the swipe thing on its own. I do plan on putting it back manually.

Plom Bar posted:

"Hide Sidebar in Landscape" doesn't seem to work for iPad anymore. Either that or the button's back to being a gesture and I can't figure it out.

Fixed/fixing in the next version. It's not you it's Awful.

Kaethela posted:

Apologies if this was mentioned already - in the bookmarks pane thread ratings appear and disappear at random. I'll refresh the list and some will appear and some will vanish. Refresh again and it repeats, with different threads.

Not a huge deal, but it's bugging me a bit.

I've noticed this too, and I alternate between giggling and :ughh: when it happens. It's on the list.

Abel Wingnut posted:

5s, latest iOS.

The new versions seem to be...jittery. Whenever I scroll through threads, the scrolling is very stilted. Awful was completely smooth before this updafe. It's slight, and not a deal breaker, but I've never seen this in any iOS app. Anybody else seeing this?

I know what you mean. I think I need to spend a bit of time profiling, seeing what's causing problems. I'm sure it's fixable.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

pokeyman posted:

What's this now? Awful doesn't give a poo poo about broken jails.

Whenever I launch Awful it makes multiple access checks to places like /applications/cydia.app periodically ries to make a call to cydia://

I experimented with allowing and disallowing the acknowledgement of these file system pokes and they make no real difference to the app either way. So I find their presence curious.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

This'll be good to keep on hand in the future too, thanks.

:tipshat:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Abel Wingnut posted:

5s, latest iOS.

No issue like that on my 5.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

pokeyman posted:

When they're dark blue? I've been meaning to bump them up a bit in brightness
Yeah, especially when they're dark blue but the white/grey ones could do with a bump too, IMO.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sex Robot posted:

Whenever I launch Awful it makes multiple access checks to places like /applications/cydia.app periodically ries to make a call to cydia://

I experimented with allowing and disallowing the acknowledgement of these file system pokes and they make no real difference to the app either way. So I find their presence curious.

I don't think that's Awful?

edit: fixed link

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 8, 2014

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Sex Robot posted:

That link's broken due to Github's unicode in the URL, but this should work: https://github.com/Awful/Awful.app/search?q=cydia

Maybe you have some other extension or something installed that interacts with webviews? An ad-blocker?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I think that Sex Robot owes Pokeyman et al. an apology.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Feature request! I have a LOT of bookmarked threads right now, to the point where it'd be handy to be able to pin selected threads to the top of the bookmark list. Like, I'm working through a couple of really long-running ones in my commute, and they can be hard to find because they're low-traffic enough that there's no telling which page they'll end up on at any given time. Any chance of this making the cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I hold down on a picture to bring up the image viewer. I can use two fingers to zoom in and out, and if I leave one finger on the screen after the zoom, I can drag it around. Once I take that finger off the screen, it closes the picture when I try to drag it around.

• Locked thread