Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Bubble-T posted:

There's a (near?) 100% victory strategy as the British. IIRC Wallace tried to patch it out of the game but ultimately just admitted that the game would always be broken and the only thing possible was to provide different scenarios which would all be broken in some way but hopefully it would take players a while to discover how in each case.

my friend bought the game and was all, "I would love to play this with you but for the sake of having our experience not suck, please don't look up the Halifax Hammer" to his wife.

and his wife is all, ".... is that a sex thing?"

that is my few acres of snow story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

my friend bought the game and was all, "I would love to play this with you but for the sake of having our experience not suck, please don't look up the Halifax Hammer" to his wife.

and his wife is all, ".... is that a sex thing?"

that is my few acres of snow story.

The funny thing is Halifax Hammer isn't the only ultra thin deck strategy, it's just the fastest one that doesn't let the French do much.

If you play the game the way it's supposed to be played, it ends up taking forever and being a slog through bloated decks.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

The funny thing is Halifax Hammer isn't the only ultra thin deck strategy, it's just the fastest one that doesn't let the French do much.

If you play the game the way it's supposed to be played, it ends up taking forever and being a slog through bloated decks.

yeah i played it 「as intended」 the other day and the endgame was a bloated mess. both sides ended up just sitting there doing nothing multiple turns in a row while we waited for a decent hand to pop up. i thought we were doing something wrong, but i guess that's just how the game's played

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i mean, assuming you don't bring down the halifax hammer or whatever other broken poo poo's out there

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

StashAugustine posted:

is this the expansion to 1960

It's Mr President, which is kind of boring to play but at the end you get to tally up states' votes on a big board, so it replicates the feel of getting hosed over at the last minute by capricious Californians

Also, you get to fight with your running mate over who has to play with the shittier Vice President deck.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

i think the dead of winter pbp im in pretty much confirmed to me that the game is lovely and that i would hate it even IRL

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
today is international "play the gric" monday

everybody play the gric

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Tekopo posted:

i think the dead of winter pbp im in pretty much confirmed to me that the game is lovely and that i would hate it even IRL

I've seen people on other forums be told they're playing badly when they take a bunch of exposure dice damage because they should have used fuel to avoid rolling. It's pretty funny reading that thread and seeing your group have basically no fuel ever while rolling a ton of frostbite.

There also seems to be very little actual suspicion/deduction and not enough information to discern if someone's a traitor or just a selfish/bad player, so I guess you're just supposed to exile anyone actually attempting to fulfill their own win condition??

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It feels somewhat cathartic when I was initially interested in a game like Dead of Winter that I decided to wait and see and as it turns out the game is a huge overhyped turd.

Also why would anyone ever not vote to exile a player who is stealing from other players.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why does Dead of Winter come up so much in this thread?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
people are shocked that a zombie game in the year of our lord 2014 is bad.

Dec 26, 2012

Ralp posted:

why does Dead of Winter come up so much in this thread?

it got hyped up a bunch and then it sucked

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

01011001 posted:

it got hyped up a bunch and then it sucked

is it goon-made or something? there's lots of hyped games that suck, I thought, or is this one really that much more hyped and sucky

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ralp posted:

is it goon-made or something? there's lots of hyped games that suck, I thought, or is this one really that much more hyped and sucky

It's really really hyped up and there are still people in the bad thread defending it and hyping it up, and even SU&SD love it even though it is bad. It's almost Arkham Horror levels of really popular and really bad although I doubt that will continue once it's no longer the current new hotness.

There's also two (2) pbp threads going on right now and another already completed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the best group board game i know of is still scotland yard. everyone gets to work together against that one antisocial guy every group has who hates being on teams with people, so it's perfect

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

the best group board game i know of is still scotland yard. everyone gets to work together against that one antisocial guy every group has who hates being on teams with people, so it's perfect

There's a million games like that, retard

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Get your poverty rear end board game opinions out of here bro and by "bro" I mean never my bro.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

alright, i lied, the best group game is this

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

corn in the bible posted:

it's me

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Dungeon Petz has the worst marketing of all time. Between the premise of baby monster pet shop and that stupid, unnecessary Z, none if my friends will give it a shot because it sounds like it was made for tweens.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
That is entirely your fault :colbert:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wait really? Have they played Dungeon Lords? How the hell is "we're growing baby monsters in a pretty heavy worker placement game" not a compelling counter-argument?

have they played *any* Vlaada games?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

get better friends

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the name is really bad

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The name is bad but if that's enough to make anyone not want to play it, that's fair grounds to brutally murder the person in question irl. The same applies to anyone who won't play Tragedy Looper because of the anime or anyone who won't play the first editions of Catacombs because the art looks like it came out of a lovely 80s RPG manual.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
a nice presentation will get me interested in a game more quickly, but it takes a really, really lovely one to make me not be interested

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
tragedy looper is so loving good god drat

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

i really want to try it but i think my group has kind of given up on getting it

they're not terribly big into the 'cooperative puzzle' kind of game on top of that

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

lotta people not understanding simple rules

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
coutblanc, would you be willing to mastermind script #3 for us anytime soon pretty please??

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
o cool martin wallace is doing another deckbuilder

it has unlimited deck thinning actions

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Broken Loose posted:

coutblanc, would you be willing to mastermind script #3 for us anytime soon pretty please??

i want ot play if so

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
probably yeah. later thisw eek

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Dungeon Petz: Literally Full of poo poo

(A needs round I played in a game some months ago.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Stop touching the poop

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i made a little pyramid out of poop in one of my cages once

you know you have a good game when someone suddenly says "oh for god's sake, snakitty, stop pooping!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

they had this at the bookstore though i didn't end up buying it

its a board game that you win by going around the board and getting a full tarot card reading, and then that predicts your future

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
$14.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

do we have a 16, 16, anyone with a bid of 16, 14.99 going once, 14.99 going twice, all fair warned, SOLD to Broken Loose for 14.99

• Locked thread