Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

To be fair it is a heaping load of bullshit that any MLB playoff game doesn't make the cut to be on one of the major networks

Also doesn't help they don't show it in primetime. Some on these games are on in the afternoon on TBS, Fox Sports 1, or MLB network.

Its gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Toaster Beef posted:

To be fair it is a heaping load of bullshit that any MLB playoff game doesn't make the cut to be on one of the major networks

Networks only show sports people watch

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DangerKat posted:

Does ESPN still use division level bloggers? I thought every team had a dedicated blogger in lieu of the old division set up?

You're right. Vaughn McClure covers the Falcons, Mike Triplett (lately of the Times-Picayune Saints beat) covers the Saints, David Newton covers the Panthers, and Pat Yasinskas (who used to cover the Panthers / be the NFC South blogger, so probably who Chilichimp was thinking of) covers the Buccaneers. When you go to the "NFC South" ESPN blog, you just get those 4 guys with their individual team posts rolled up.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

It's probably rehashing the same old complaint about Peter King, but the thing that really bothers me about his articles is that in his mind he is the most interesting person in the world and that narcissism just permeates every sentence. Having the revelation that the average hotel room probably doesn't have access to playoff baseball is somewhat original and interesting; however, the sentence that starts that story is "Stayed at a Connecticut hotel Saturday night". For some reason his insistence to occasionally leave himself out as the subject of a sentence just draws more attention to the fact that every sentence is about him.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

You're right. Vaughn McClure covers the Falcons, Mike Triplett (lately of the Times-Picayune Saints beat) covers the Saints, David Newton covers the Panthers, and Pat Yasinskas (who used to cover the Panthers / be the NFC South blogger, so probably who Chilichimp was thinking of) covers the Buccaneers. When you go to the "NFC South" ESPN blog, you just get those 4 guys with their individual team posts rolled up.

gently caress Pat Yasinskas.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

ulmont posted:

Prior to covering Carolina, Yasinskas used to work for the Tampa Tribune and covered the Bucs. He was like the fifth or sixth best sports guy at the tribune during that time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

"Eh, Princess Bride was on Bravo, and I only wanted to check the baseball scores on commercial breaks without having to check my MLB iPhone App."

Princess Bride is a pretty good excuse though.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I don't know why you guys still all read Peter King. At this point it seems like everyone hates him yet everyone still reads his stuff. Just stop. He's not adding anything of value to the sports world and yet you keep making him relevant by talking about him all the time. What's his incentive to try if he's still getting the traffic out of hate (which he probably still thinks is love)? I haven't read a PK article in years and I'm happier for it.

At this point I think the only way King might become a good reporter is irrelevance. If people stopped caring about his poo poo unless he put some effort into it we might get him to try again. Or he might just be okay and fade into the background at starbucks quite content, both outcomes are better than the turn he is now.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 6, 2014

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I like the rest of MMQB.com

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The only time I read MMGB or Peter King is when KSK or you guys post about it

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Febreeze posted:

I don't know why you guys still all read Peter King. At this point it seems like everyone hates him yet everyone still reads his stuff. Just stop. He's not adding anything of value to the sports world and yet you keep making him relevant by talking about him all the time. What's his incentive to try if he's still getting the traffic out of hate (which he probably still thinks is love)? I haven't read a PK article in years and I'm happier for it.

At this point I think the only way King might become a good reporter is irrelevance. If people stopped caring about his poo poo unless he put some effort into it we might get him to try again. Or he might just be okay and fade into the background at starbucks quite content, both outcomes are better than the turn he is now.

Because my web traffic gets si.com like $.04

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Until recently I was still hate reading but it's become so predictable that even that has lost it's appeal.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

football fuckerman posted:

Because my web traffic gets si.com like $.04

I bet that's what everyone who hate reads it says

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Just make sure ad block is on and you're all set.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The only time I read MMGB or Peter King is when KSK or you guys post about it

This. I've read a couple through the KSK filter, but never a full strength PK article. The specific way that he implies himself as the subject of sentences is something that I noticed from snippets like this and hearing the story about him trying to make wait-staff cry about Robin Williams.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I don't read at MMQB, I read and vibe along with the weekly KSK post.

Which is probably a shame, because it means I don't read anything else from MMQB unless someone links it in a thread here. He's sabotaging his own website.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Febreeze posted:

This and also for all the Skip Bayless/(I am honestly blanking on the name of the show) complaints. It is not hard to keep the TV off fellas.

Or all the people who hate Bill Simmons yet read every article to complain about here. Just don't click it.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

I read this article today. Summary: "Well he's gotta be, right?"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Is this like that Time cover about evolution being real and the actual story is just a giant YES?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Its Miller Time posted:

This makes me happy for several reasons

I like how he mentions the Alabama game but doesn't reference anything special about it, just bitches about not being able to find baseball.

An 18 inning playoff baseball game is actually a more exciting, unlikely occurrence than Alabama losing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Badfinger posted:

An 18 inning playoff baseball game is actually a more exciting, unlikely occurrence than Alabama losing.

I wanted to test that assertion, and you're right. It's 4 times more likely for Bama to lose to Ole Miss than a playoff game go 18 innings.

That's still pretty impressive, though. That series is 47-9-2, advantage Bama.

That's just 18-inning play-offs games/year of the MLB play-off system, so the number is way loving bigger if you were to calculate 18-inning playoff games/total play-off games.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 7, 2014

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

axeil posted:

Is this like that Time cover about evolution being real and the actual story is just a giant YES?

National geographic. Time at this point would put up whatever side paid more.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I'd say no one scoring for 8 innings is a little less compelling than a big upset, but I'm the kind of the guy who didn't go nuts when we drew Mexico in soccer.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
So puerile and so funny :blush:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Peter King getting owned feels really good to me. Them ol helldump feels

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

football fuckerman posted:

Peter King getting owned feels really good to me. Them ol helldump feels

I miss helldump sometimes. :smith:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

:laugh: feels appropriate.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I just started reading today's TMQ without realizing what it was, then I got to these two sentences:

quote:

Seven of 17 weeks played might not sound like much, but history suggests many dies are already cast. Julius Caesar said "the die is cast" when he ordered his army across the Rubicon River in 49 B.C. The Roman civil war still had to take place, but Caesar felt he knew what would happen.

and thought, "Was this written by a 7th grader?"

Then I scrolled up to the byline and started laughing. I know it's the lowest of the low-hanging fruit but goddamn is he an idiot. Like at least Peter King put in his time before he turned into the lazy sycophant version. Where the gently caress does Gregg get any right to a syndicated column?

edit for fuller quote

ought ten fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 21, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Did he make a historical allusion and then... explain the allusion as though no one would know what he was talking about?

similar kind of bullshit posted:

When the Steelers won the superbowl, it was truly a day which will live in Infamy. President Franklin Roosevelt, addressing the attack on Pearl Harbor before a joint session of Congress, said in a speech on December 8th, 1941, that the previous day would live in infamy.

edit: VVV Haha, and he misused the plural of die, thanks ST. VVV

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 21, 2014

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm guessing he wanted to dump the latin in there and his editor said gently caress you and Greg then went, well gently caress you I'm leaving that in there.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Did he make a historical allusion and then... explain the allusion as though no one would know what he was talking about?

That and "but history suggests many dies are already cast" is such a clumsy sentence on its own it must have FAS

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah plus he gets it all wrong. I edited more of Gregg's graf into my post but he writes:

quote:

Seven of 17 weeks played might not sound like much, but history suggests many dies are already cast. Julius Caesar said "the die is cast" when he ordered his army across the Rubicon River in 49 B.C. The Roman civil war still had to take place, but Caesar felt he knew what would happen.

Which is not at all what Caesar meant. More like, the opposite of what he meant. It's a gambling metaphor.

edit:

Kalli posted:

I'm guessing he wanted to dump the latin in there and his editor said gently caress you and Greg then went, well gently caress you I'm leaving that in there.

It's gotta be this.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 21, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
:lol: The line after the explanation is pure loving gold.

edit: I'm going to amend my last joke in honor or that horrible gently caress-up.

similar kind of bullshit posted:

When the Steelers won the superbowl, it was truly a day which will live in Infamy. President Franklin Roosevelt, addressing the attack on Pearl Harbor before a joint session of Congress, said in a speech on December 8th, 1941, that the previous day would live in infamy. The US was going to enter the war anyway, and Roosevelt was pleased that the Japanese attack provided him the necessary excuse to goad the legislature into a formal declaration.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 21, 2014

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Gregg Easterbrook confuses me. He never has any interesting observations. Nobody ever links to him other than Magary. Is this the writer of the great silent majority?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Seven of 17 weeks played might not sound like much, but history suggests many coins are already in circulation. Julius Caesar said "give back to Caesar what is Caesar's" when Mark Antony borrowed things from him. The tides of March had not come in yet, but Caesar's tenure lasted longer than Dennis Allen's

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
He was super popular back in the early days of Page 2 when that was all there really was for alternative sports journalism, got fired for saying something about Disney and jews (I think), went to either FOX Sports or CBS Sportsline with the same schtick but no one read it, then found his way back to ESPN. Basically he's a legacy piece dumb people read because it's familiar, like Rick Reilly.

e: here were TMQs comments that got him fired:

TMQ posted:

Disney's CEO, Michael Eisner, is Jewish; the chief of Miramax, Harvey Weinstein, is Jewish. Yes, there are plenty of Christian and other Hollywood executives who worship money above all else, promoting for profit the adulation of violence. Does that make it right for Jewish executives to worship money above all else, by promoting for profit the adulation of violence? Recent European history alone ought to cause Jewish executives to experience second thoughts about glorifying the killing of the helpless as a fun lifestyle choice.

Also he wrote for NFL.com, not FOX or CBS.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 21, 2014

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

sweet thursday posted:

Seven of 17 weeks played might not sound like much, but history suggests many coins are already in circulation. Julius Caesar said "give back to Caesar what is Caesar's" when Mark Antony borrowed things from him. The tides of March had not come in yet, but Caesar's tenure lasted longer than Dennis Allen's

Somebody pen a column like this for FART with a pen name of Clegg Westerbrook

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

DangerKat posted:

He was super popular back in the early days of Page 2 when that was all there really was for alternative sports journalism, got fired for saying something about Disney and jews (I think), went to either FOX Sports or CBS Sportsline with the same schtick but no one read it, then found his way back to ESPN. Basically he's a legacy piece dumb people read because it's familiar, like Rick Reilly.

e: here were TMQs comments that got him fired:

Also he wrote for NFL.com, not FOX or CBS.

Holy poo poo that's awful

I've never read a word of Gregg Easterbrook, I always figured he was some harmless idiot like uh all the rest of them. But that paragraph and the one ought ten posted are both loving horrible

• Locked thread