Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
The symmetry that is the Garmur and Orthrus trumps the wacky concoctions of oddly-shaped attachments of T3s into first place for best looking ships.

In other news, I was happy; I was a JDC IV scrub, but I was a happy JDC IV scrub. CCP can't take my JDC IV pride, I'm a strong weak independent pro F1 monkey who don't need no needs JDC V :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No More Heroes posted:

Like Cortez burning his ships

Cortés never burnt his ships. He scuttled them which is the act of basically sinking them in the harbor/bay by opening hatches that let the water in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttling#Hern.C3.A1n_Cort.C3.A9s_.281519.29

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 7, 2014

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

pugnax posted:

I'd wouldn't mind a rollback of the one-jb-per-system nerf, but I think treating a jb network just the same as the caps is what makes this whole thing work. This allows for cool tactics and logistical trade offs. It gives more reason to come camp space, actually use scouts, and run home defense fleets, not to mention actually making it less desirable to have a sprawling empire.

In isolation, I'd agree. My concern is that there is no cet par between subcaps and caps -- if it costs X hours for both a subcap and a slowcat to cross Y light years, the slowcat will be vastly more flexible and useful.

I like the idea of JBs inflicting jump fatigue, as long as it's not the same rate as caps -- make it scale with ship mass, maybe?

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD
I kinda like the idea of JB's destinations just being every other JB that's within a 5ly range, so instead of having a JB pair you can end up with a mesh. From any jump bridge, you can go to any other jump bridge within 5LY. Still only one JB per system, just multiple choices potentially for destination.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

ullerrm posted:

In isolation, I'd agree. My concern is that there is no cet par between subcaps and caps -- if it costs X hours for both a subcap and a slowcat to cross Y light years, the slowcat will be vastly more flexible and useful.

I like the idea of JBs inflicting jump fatigue, as long as it's not the same rate as caps -- make it scale with ship mass, maybe?

I'm not sold on it. Jump Bridges are great to have around but already have short range, a fuel requirement, and single bridge per system limit. If JBs end up causing fatigue, then a half a year down the line we find out Player Built Stargates are just bigger, more expensive versions of JBs we have now, there would be a whole shitload of Null players asking CCP why they even bothered in the first place.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

ullerrm posted:

I feel like as it stands, people will just poopsock the long rear end warp times and fly in a giant super + archon ball because eve players hate themselves.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Cortés never burnt his ships. He scuttled them which is the act of basically sinking them in the harbor/bay by opening hatches that let the water in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scuttling#Hern.C3.A1n_Cort.C3.A9s_.281519.29

Yup, and that scuttling is actually something that gets emphasized for the wrong reasons. It wasn't a show of bravado.

Cortes was playing a legal game at this point -- his boss had withdrawn permission for him to go to Mexico (something about Cortes loving his sister), and was planning to send some scrub that would be easier to control instead. Cortes responded by having that scrub killed, and took out his armada without official permission. He was technically a mutineer when he landed in Mexico.

He knew that if he returned to Cuba, he'd be hung for mutiny. So, he got a town to declare him as a ruler, making him technically nobility -- authority now descended directly from the crown, instead of passing through Velazquez. Scuttling the ships ensured that anyone loyal to Velazquez wouldn't return to Cuba.

By becoming independent, Cortes denied Velazquez of most of the rewards for the conquest of Mexico.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

there would be a whole shitload of Null players asking CCP why they even bothered in the first place.

The same reason WoW raises the level cap every expansion.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

ullerrm posted:

Scaling with mass is actually a pretty great idea - it also helps blops out as well.

But yeah, unsurprisingly the vastly more expensive and skill intensive ship is more useful. :science: And the speed to cross long distances wouldn't be the same - you would only jump a chain under extraordinary circumstances because it leaves you stuck there for a month. Most of the time you'll jump and then take gates until your fatigue has gotten down enough to warrant another jump or there's an obstacle that needs to be hopped over. So considering that most of the travel will be gate to gate, subcaps will get from point A to B much faster.

quote:

I kinda like the idea of JB's destinations just being every other JB that's within a 5ly range, so instead of having a JB pair you can end up with a mesh. From any jump bridge, you can go to any other jump bridge within 5LY. Still only one JB per system, just multiple choices potentially for destination.

This is really cool.

pugnax fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 7, 2014

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

wdarkk posted:

The same reason WoW raises the level cap every expansion.

That's more of a progression treadmill thing, rather than disengenuiously nerfing something only to introduce a more expensive pre-nerf version later on.

Like that's never happened.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Zasze posted:

I feel like as it stands, people will just poopsock the long rear end warp times and fly in a giant super + archon ball because eve players hate themselves.

To be fair, you don't have to sacrifice that much tank (on shield ships) to warp faster than a hac (you give up a cdfe and a low on a rag)

Bagu
Mar 20, 2006

dotalchemy posted:

I REALLY like this idea, especially because it would differentiate JBs from gates, but also because it makes new players more familiar with the jump ui before they get into caps.
It's also a justification for at least some jump fatigue.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Last time I checked, JB fuel use was based on mass travelling through it. How many supers/slow cat blobs would it take to make GSOL mutiny?

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

Bagu posted:

I REALLY like this idea, especially because it would differentiate JBs from gates, but also because it makes new players more familiar with the jump ui before they get into caps.
It's also a justification for at least some jump fatigue.

The counter argument currently to having JB's like that is you could JB chain and avoid gates altogether, which of course allows you to travel through sovereign nullsec with near immunity short of people camping jump bridges.

With Jump Fatigue being a factor, you end up not being able to go more than a couple of jumps without then having to resort to gates else incur huge penalties to your jump fatigue.

Will it ever happen? Probably not, but I might make a suggestions post with it at some point.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

darth cookie posted:

Last time I checked, JB fuel use was based on mass travelling through it. How many supers/slow cat blobs would it take to make GSOL mutiny?

caps used to be able to use jb's they took that out only 2 or so years ago, so probably the same amount with some rear end in a top hat with no jump skills moving his ratting carrier around long enough to get caught.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

IMNSHO they should just dispense with the JDC skill entirely after Phoebe -- just normalize all caps to 5 ly and leave JFC intact. But I'm not in a sufficiently influential position.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ullerrm posted:

IMNSHO they should just dispense with the JDC skill entirely after Phoebe -- just normalize all caps to 5 ly and leave JFC intact. But I'm not in a sufficiently influential position.

I'd agree. It seems like a dick move to make that skill necessary at all given JDC5 would be mandatory anyway. Plus I'd like a skill point refund on that to put into other things.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ullerrm posted:

Yeah, JDC 5 gives far too much of a bonus with a 5LY max range. It gives 25% per level, which means at 5 you are reaching 225% of base range. This means that all caps have to have a BASE range of 2.22 LY. I'd argue for reducing it to 5% per level, bumping base range to 4LY, reducing the rank of JDC, and refunding the SP difference.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Otacon posted:

My favorite ship is the Ishtar because it will never be nerfed

They said this about the Vagabond, too.

Of course they never really did nerf it, everything else just powercrept up around it over the course of 8-9 years while it stayed the same.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

pugnax posted:

I'd wouldn't mind a rollback of the one-jb-per-system nerf, but I think treating a jb network just the same as the caps is what makes this whole thing work. This allows for cool tactics and logistical trade offs. It gives more reason to come camp space, actually use scouts, and run home defense fleets, not to mention actually making it less desirable to have a sprawling empire.

More likely, everyone will dock up their ratting carriers and wait for 15 minutes. Counting alts, there won't be enough actual players in each system and its neighbours to organise a proper home defense fleet (you still can't support more than a handful of ratters per system) and anyone else is going to take even longer to get to the form up.

dotalchemy posted:

Who wants to bet player owned stargates will do this?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

That picture pre-dates the buff to medium rails. Hence the "shin kicks" reference of the Proteus due to the abhorrent range of the medium blasters that were the only option at the time.

Still a nice piece of work.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So...are Proteuses any good now in PvP then?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Artificer posted:

They're alright, not great but not bad. I can't think of any single role that I would bring a proteus to do that I couldn't put another ship into, though, except for extremely heavy tackle. You can get 500k EHP out of a Proteus with links.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Artificer posted:

Razor used them pretty successfully for a few weeks with Triage Archons as logi.

But ship doctrines are like a game of whack-a-mole. If you use the same hole every single time, day in and day out then eventually The enemy will see the pattern

Though up until that. They worked great. Winning several victories with little to no losses against larger forces.

Supposedly a rail Tengu can get the same DPS but with more EHP.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

eriktown posted:

Now is a great time to join Goonfleet. The force projection changes are going to make things really exciting over the next few months.

Please don't fakepost in this thread.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009
The nice thing about the proteus is that the support ships aren't made of paper. Web lokis and guardians are a lot harder to kill than a tengu fleet's huginns and scimitars. Of course its all moot in max sized fleets where people volley each other but for smaller fleets the proteus works perfectly as the core ship.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ullerrm posted:

For looks, the Legion looks fantastic -- especially in its probing variant that looks like a miniature Avatar -- but is so underwhelming :/ Second place is the Nyx. Third is the Garmur.
The Sacrilege is my favorite for looks after they redesigned the Maller hull.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

The Sacrilege is my favorite for looks after they redesigned the Maller hull.

Currently in the process of training everything to max out my ability to fly this. Wanna be Sac buddies after? :smuggo::respek::smuggo:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Miniluv just successfully ganked a Obelisk 1.2 seconds before the servers hit downtime. I still can't believe we made it in time, considering we were warping over 150au three systems away at 2.5au/s.

My mail icon and my wallet started flashing, followed immediately by servers going down. Absolutely amazing timing. I've now learned to never ever ever question Warr Akini's judgment when it comes to ganking freighters.

EDIT: Killed at exactly 11:00 evetime. https://zkillboard.com/kill/41670881/

edit2: christ im tired, it was an Obe not a charon

Otacon fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 7, 2014

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

ullerrm posted:

For looks, the Legion looks fantastic -- especially in its probing variant that looks like a miniature Avatar

I always thought that wasn't so much "tiny avatar" as it was "I just rear-ended a tristan :ohdear:".

edit: that obelisk pilot is gonna be maaad.

Sir_Substance fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 7, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Never doubt Warr's power to organize a gank. One way or another he'll make it happen, even if he's the only one doing damage.

Looking at that Obelisk kill though, have we moved back to the holy land around Uedama? Might have to resub to go bump some fools.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Otacon posted:

Miniluv just successfully ganked a Charon 1.2 seconds before the servers hit downtime. I still can't believe we made it in time, considering we were warping over 150au three systems away at 2.5au/s.

My mail icon and my wallet started flashing, followed immediately by servers going down. Absolutely amazing timing. I've now learned to never ever ever question Warr Akini's judgment when it comes to ganking freighters.

EDIT: Killed at exactly 11:00 evetime. https://zkillboard.com/kill/41670881/

Since downtime hit right after the gank, does that mean you evaded concord retribution?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Reading all this stuff about force projection changes is making my eyes glaze over, because the only thing I understand about EVE is how to shoot things and only sometimes blow up.

So, I guess, in short - is the consensus that the changes are going to have a good effect, too much of an effect, or in usual :ccp: fashion somehow make the meta issues they're attempting to fix even worse?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Slashrat posted:

Since downtime hit right after the gank, does that mean you evaded concord retribution?

someone did :ssh:

S-Alpha posted:

Never doubt Warr's power to organize a gank. One way or another he'll make it happen, even if he's the only one doing damage.

Looking at that Obelisk kill though, have we moved back to the holy land around Uedama? Might have to resub to go bump some fools.

It's never been a better time to resub if you enjoy bumping things. Uedama is literally on fire.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 7, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Otacon posted:

someone did :ssh:

It's never been a better time to resub if you enjoy bumping things. Uedama is literally on fire.

And yet people still loving autopilot through Uedama

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

orange juche posted:

Well not through it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

orange juche posted:

Man, even people in-system trying to steal loot from under us autopilot to station. That exact thing happened pre-Crimewatch when Darius III and his lackies tried to start poo poo. Some people are just that stupid.

Aztech
May 30, 2009

After a few months of reading about eve in this thread, on themittani.com and the horrifically pubbie infested official forums i have decided to take the plunge, created an account and applied to Goonwaffe. Hopefully i can be in the warm and no doubt slightly fetid space embrace of goonswarm soon.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Aztech posted:

After a few months of reading about eve in this thread, on themittani.com and the horrifically pubbie infested official forums i have decided to take the plunge, created an account and applied to Goonwaffe. Hopefully i can be in the warm and no doubt slightly fetid space embrace of goonswarm soon.

Spy. You were in SIF earlier this year at least, and possibly retain a small 3 man corp inside of it Interkosmos. At least admit to coming back to eve instead of saying you were brand new.

Aztech posted:

Whilst ts3 is down a bunch of goons have been using my private ts3 server at https://www.eve-interkosmos.com. It only has a 32 person license but feel free to use that for your platoons and what not.

Scrap Iron Flotilla. is blue +10 to NCdot.

Even though they're dead as poo poo, you're still on the wrong side of the map, if you want to get technical.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

orange juche posted:

Spy. You were in SIF earlier this year at least, and possibly retain a small 3 man corp inside of it Interkosmos. At least admit to coming back to eve instead of saying you were brand new.

Scrap Iron Flotilla. is blue +10 to NCdot.

His post doesn't say anything at all about being new to eve so good job on jumping to that.

• Locked thread