Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

raditts posted:

What the gently caress does this mean and what does it have to do with anything we're talking about?

The Hub's primetime hours (and thus its sweet, sweet viewership ratings) have been given to nature shows.This might mean less cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

All I remember about Transformers was watching Armada/the anime one when I was 10 or 11 years old. Was that show any good? (I suspect I know the answer)
Robots in Disguise was fun to me, dunno about Armada/Energon/Cybertron but I heard Energon is a mess.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Sithsaber posted:

The Hub's primetime hours (and thus its sweet, sweet viewership ratings) have been given to nature shows.This might mean less cartoons.

The thing is though, on a daily basis, barely anybody watches the network in the first place. There's a reason Discovery's taking it back.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sithsaber posted:

The Hub already transitions into live-action garbage like Family Game Night and sitcoms from the '90s in primetime, hence my previous statement of "crap nobody wanted to watch." Basically like Nick At Nite but somehow even less appealing. The toy cartoons are the cash cow of that station, they're not giving those up.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

All I remember about Transformers was watching Armada/the anime one when I was 10 or 11 years old. Was that show any good? (I suspect I know the answer)

Considering the sheer volume of Transformers media that's been made over the years the signal/noise ratio is shockingly low. Like aside from Beast Wars almost nothing has met any sort of real universal acclaim, it's always been a toy commercial that never really elevated itself and just jumped on whatever was popular and selling well at the time (copying Pokemon with Armada, aping Teen Titans with Transformers Animated, more recently cannibalizing the popularity of their own live-action movies with Transformers: Prime).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All I remember about Transformers Energon/Cybertron is that they were supposed to share the same continuity with Armada, but yet the Transformers got redesigned in each one and between each series they were always looking for a different Macguffin and never mentioned the old series' macguffins at all. Like, after the first series suddenly no one gave a poo poo about mini-cons even though they were like, the entire point of the war in Armada.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The original Japanese versions of Armada, Energon and Cybertron were unrelated cartoons. The English dub made them part of the same continuity for some reason.

Interestingly, Hasbro is apparently a fan of Armada because this year they have toys based on Armada versions of Starscream and Megatron. They even made the Starscream in the current IDW comics change his body to look similar to the toy. Armada Megatron I only know for his Minicon-activated giant belt buckle gatling laser attack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFG3iuzcTRs

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
armada was pretty lovely and pretty low budget anime, energon was irredeemably garbage, cybertron was still low budget and very anime but it had some fans at the time for not being quite as horrible as the two previous.

Animated and Prime are love it or hate it affairs. You cannot trust anyone's opinion but your own here. They both have vocal detractors and vocal fans. Try the first season of either and see if it's for you if you must watch a transformers cartoon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember Xiaolin Showdown was really fun and good. My brother and I also watched Chronicles, which was hilarious but in no way good. Although Chase Young becoming a complete diva was the best part, while using his scrying pool to check how his machinations are doing he literally dunks his hair in the pool so that he can baywatch-flip it while laughing maniacally. He also flips it twice in the next episode, the second time because Omi soaks him with the Orb of Tornami (I refuse to call it torpedo) but the first time because he stands with his back to the wind just so that it blows in front of his face to flip it. Also he wagers his "Amazing Good looks" in one of the showdowns.

His sidekick Shadow had some moments though, at one point there is a bizarre flashback which turns out to be him telling her how she was created, and her response is simply "Really? That's how I was born?:crossarms:"

Basically we knew it was bad but we watched it because we couldn't stop laughing at how ludicrous it got, in contrast to the original series which is genuinely good and should be watched by people.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 7, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Here's an article about '90s nostalgia that takes a turn.

quote:

Mathew Klickstein, the event’s moderator and author of SLIMED! An Oral History of Nickelodeon’s Golden Age, spoke to Flavorwire about the event, our persistent love for this era, and why he believes Nickelodeon’s desire to diversify its programming is “exploitive and predatory.”
:yikes:

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
"Why can't the dirty browns just see how great us white guys are?? :qq:"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The best part was an editor's note after the actual interview.

quote:

This interview was cut and edited for length and clarity.
He probably shouted for at least 30 minutes and became less coherent as he went on.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I remember Warner Brothers stuff between Kids WB and Cartoon Network more fondly than I do Nickelodeon's shows. Their cartoons tended to have a lot more gross-out humor, and I was never really into their live action sitcoms.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is probably the best show they ever aired on that channel.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Y-Hat posted:

Here's an article about '90s nostalgia that takes a turn.

:yikes:

That guy is crazy about 90s Nick. I think he did an interview where he declared that era as the best television has ever been, period. That being said, Slimed is actually really good, but that might be because he was just interviewing rather than giving his opinions.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

After hearing Slimed had zilch on Hey Arnold in it I pretty much lost interest. You don't talk about Nick's golden age and not mention that.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The new transformers show will most defiantly be on CN in 2015.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zeether posted:

After hearing Slimed had zilch on Hey Arnold in it I pretty much lost interest. You don't talk about Nick's golden age and not mention that.
How much of the book is about Nicktoons?

Ren and Stimpy was good for a couple of seasons, but I felt by the end, it was weird and stupid for the purpose of being weird and stupid. Hey Arnold and Rocko's Modern Life were both better.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

thelaughingman posted:

Nice, i knew if i said something dumb about transformers, someone would tell me everything i was too lazy to google.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

How much of the book is about Nicktoons?

Offhand, I remember them focusing on Ren and Stimpy, Doug, and the Rugrats.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gann Jerrod posted:

Offhand, I remember them focusing on Ren and Stimpy, Doug, and the Rugrats.

Well those were the original three, so they were probably the most important for multiple reasons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gann Jerrod posted:

That guy is crazy about 90s Nick. I think he did an interview where he declared that era as the best television has ever been, period.

They were some good shows!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

thelaughingman posted:

This is kind of funny. Animated, the previous series, was ended forever because Hasbro decided to move off CN and make its own channel.
So cancelling that channel and continuing the current series on Cartoon Network is pretty ironic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Trailer for the new Transformers cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KjHtPfhHCg

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've just been reading the last few pages of this thread. As a new parent I'm gonna have to start getting more informed about what is good and what isn't at the moment.

I live in Australia and I'm only watching shows aimed at 1-2 year olds at the moment and the 24/7 channels that play them mostly show locally produced and British content. The only American stuff seems to be Yo Gabba Gabba and Sesame Street.

It's really weird reading about the 80's/90's nostalgia stuff and how it translated across to our shores though.

I always had Saturday Morning cartoons growing up (and I think they still exist) which were mostly Disney fare like Alladin, Ducktales, Talespin, Little Mermaid and then from about 9am it would turn into Nick stuff like Doug and saved by the Bell.

Weekday morning cartoons were where we got awesome poo poo like Spiderman, X-Men and TMNT. Also the likes of Scooby Do and the Jetsons/Flintstones. In later years this would turn into Pokemon.

My fondest memories were the after-school cartoons. Things like Gargoyles, Transformers, Beast Wars, Roccos Modern Life, Power Rangers etc.

Then there was the wierd 5pm slot that seemed to be all over the shop. Everything from Alex Mack, Trapdoor, Rugrats, Degrassi Junior High to Gumby, Thomas the Tank Engine, Sooty and Sweep, Pingu and Superted (which I think is all British stuff).

Anyway, thanks for the nostalgia trip!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The MSJ posted:

Trailer for the new Transformers cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KjHtPfhHCg

That style looks amazing. Too bad the animation is stiff and choppy as hell...

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Great style, kinda to reeealy bland robit design. Baring the tiny dude, he get's a pass cause he looks different. And Grimlock, gently caress yeah. But in all seriousness, I imagine for 3 of them their stereotypes are more defining than their silhouettes. Otherwise ditto about the animation

Also I guess good job on not terrible looking humans. It feels weird to say that but the transformers franchise does not inspire confidence in organic beings. Now to wait for how well they're utilized.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You got to give them credit for making the ladybot transform into a truck instead of another motorbike or sports car.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
OK, just saw the new star wars cartoon. I like it, but what bugs me is the imperials having a British accent. This sounds silly, but the reason imperials had British accents in episode 4, was because they were supposed to be nazis. Up until late 70's early 80's in most American television, and movies they just gave nazis a British accent due to literacy rates not being high enough nation wide yet, for subtitles. It just seems like a weird thing to have kept.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

TOILETLORD posted:

OK, just saw the new star wars cartoon. I like it, but what bugs me is the imperials having a British accent. This sounds silly, but the reason imperials had British accents in episode 4, was because they were supposed to be nazis. Up until late 70's early 80's in most American television, and movies they just gave nazis a British accent due to literacy rates not being high enough nation wide yet, for subtitles. It just seems like a weird thing to have kept.

Imperials are elitist just like the limeys. Notice how the stormtroopers don't have the same haute-accent as the officers.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Sithsaber posted:

Imperials are elitist just like the limeys. Notice how the stormtroopers don't have the same haute-accent as the officers.

The storm troopers are canonically, inferior last gen clones if i remember right. Like i said it's a weird hold over from the 70's, that no one notices due to no longer being culturally relevant.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TOILETLORD posted:

The storm troopers are canonically, inferior last gen clones if i remember right. Like i said it's a weird hold over from the 70's, that no one notices due to no longer being culturally relevant.

Stormtroopers also include recruits.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

TOILETLORD posted:

1. I believe Palpatine has winded down the cloning tanks by this period

2. British Imperialism is an easy thing to fall back on, especially when we're still inundated by bullshit news about bullshit royals.

3. This is Americuh.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 8, 2014

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Sithsaber posted:

1. I believe Palpatine has winded down the cloning tanks by this period

2. British Imperialism is an easy thing to fall back on, especially when we're still inundated by bullshit news about bullshit royals.

3. This is Americuh.

1. Right because he can only get inferior clones that can't aim, but he still has a few million clones laying around.

2. I just find it boring, would of been more interesting if they just made them have almost any other accent.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

TOILETLORD posted:

1. Right because he can only get inferior clones that can't aim, but he still has a few million clones laying around.

2. I just find it boring, would of been more interesting if they just made them have almost any other accent.

Imperial Hawaiians would have made no sense but maybe a hutt or two will be treated like the raj. The fact is that the British were a sufficiently evil empire and it's not like kids will understand why people from Pennsylvania are thecurrent great Satan.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

Whoops, the Slimed Facebook page is reporting the the Nick Nostalgia Night is cancelled. It sucks that the guys from Pete & Pete, as well as a bunch of fans, are SOL because some guy couldn't keep his lovely opinions to himself.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

We'll always have the XYZ Affair :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IerHOrDQKW0

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sithsaber posted:

Imperial Hawaiians would have made no sense but maybe a hutt or two will be treated like the raj. The fact is that the British were a sufficiently evil empire and it's not like kids will understand why people from Pennsylvania are thecurrent great Satan.
I don't know, Stormtroopers talking with a Pittsburghese accent would be pretty great; "Hey yunz guys ja wanna go dahntawn after all this is done today? Umina go to that Cantina place and order some Arn City beer, but wotch out; I hear the floor is all slippy anna counters ain't worsht. Man these rebels are a bunch of jagoffs!"

E: I spent to long on the Pittsburghese web dictionary coming up with this joke quote

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 8, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Nebnose rebels poking around my Death Stahr.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

xcore posted:

I've just been reading the last few pages of this thread. As a new parent I'm gonna have to start getting more informed about what is good and what isn't at the moment.

I live in Australia and I'm only watching shows aimed at 1-2 year olds at the moment and the 24/7 channels that play them mostly show locally produced and British content. The only American stuff seems to be Yo Gabba Gabba and Sesame Street.

It's really weird reading about the 80's/90's nostalgia stuff and how it translated across to our shores though.

I always had Saturday Morning cartoons growing up (and I think they still exist) which were mostly Disney fare like Alladin, Ducktales, Talespin, Little Mermaid and then from about 9am it would turn into Nick stuff like Doug and saved by the Bell.

Weekday morning cartoons were where we got awesome poo poo like Spiderman, X-Men and TMNT. Also the likes of Scooby Do and the Jetsons/Flintstones. In later years this would turn into Pokemon.

My fondest memories were the after-school cartoons. Things like Gargoyles, Transformers, Beast Wars, Roccos Modern Life, Power Rangers etc.

Then there was the wierd 5pm slot that seemed to be all over the shop. Everything from Alex Mack, Trapdoor, Rugrats, Degrassi Junior High to Gumby, Thomas the Tank Engine, Sooty and Sweep, Pingu and Superted (which I think is all British stuff).

Anyway, thanks for the nostalgia trip!

You had America's weekday cartoons on Saturday and our Saturday cartoons on weekdays, you lucky dog. Unless the only reason I never hungered for more Ducktales was that it was on so much.

Saved by the Bell was Saturday over here as well, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

achillesforever6 posted:

"Hey yunz guys ja wanna go dahntawn after all this is done today? Umina go to that Cantina place and order some Arn City beer, but wotch out; I hear the floor is all slippy anna counters ain't worsht. Man these rebels are a bunch of jagoffs!"

I'm a Texan and I couldn't understand any of that.

"Only two things come from TexasTatooine. Banthas and queers. And I don't see no horns on you, boy."