Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well, then I want my :10bux: that I paid 7 years ago back. /sarcasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Illegal immigrants don't get anything, but legal immigrants can receive government assistance.

Not only that, but if they are actually on the books (as in not being paid cash under the table) they're paying into the social security system but not reaping any of the benefits. Granted, for this to happen they would probably have to be using a stolen SSN, but they'd still be paying taxes on their wages.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Jesus loving Christ, already?!?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
de-tumblrify was secretly a codeword for en4chanation.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Picnic Princess posted:

"This Christmas season."

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's pretty much exactly what happens, though. When WSJ ran an article about how 48% of online gamers in the US were women, the overwhelming response was that they weren't playing real games.

I could be wrong, but wasn't the majority of people playing WoW now women? I remember hearing it was like 60% women, and I'd like to see these loving neckbeards argue WoW isn't a "real" game.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

kannonfodder posted:

I could be wrong, but wasn't the majority of people playing WoW now women? I remember hearing it was like 60% women, and I'd like to see these loving neckbeards argue WoW isn't a "real" game.

Welfare epics, dumbed down raids etc. Don't give them the opportunity. (I haven't played WoW in like 3 years, so there's probably more they'd say at this point.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

kannonfodder posted:

Google says about 18-20% of WoW players are women. World of Warcraft is the most popular game among women ages 25-45 though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KoldPT posted:

There's a 900 page gbs thread about gamergate, don't fool yourself

Is there a thread about what corruption there is in gaming journalism? Because, to be honest I only know that gaming journalism is largely just bad but I don't know any real examples of it aside from Ben Kuchera and the serious misogyny problem.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

RareAcumen posted:

Is there a thread about what corruption there is in gaming journalism? Because, to be honest I only know that gaming journalism is largely just bad but I don't know any real examples of it aside from Ben Kuchera and the serious misogyny problem.

There was a big incident several years back where a Gamestop reviewer was fired for giving a mediocre score to a game that had had bought a lot of ad space on Gamestop, and similar things have probably happened since. There's obviously enormous pressure to give great scores to AAA game companies that pay for it, with the result that gaming "journalism" is basically just paid ad space and infomercials.

Nobody really gives a poo poo about games journalism integrity because it's just video games so who even cares. The result is that it's less about individual instances of corruption and more about the whole thing being worthless, so there's not much to discuss. But somehow, gamersgate latched on to "a woman who made an indie game had sex with a guy who works for a games magazine but didn't review or write about her game in any way" as the only thing wrong with games journalism.
It's because of the "a woman had sex" part.

No, I never have, because I am not a cartoon character.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I can see you and Crain weren't here for the earlier days of SA when posters would have given places like reddit a run for their money in the misogyny department.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Kimmalah posted:

I can see you and Crain weren't here for the earlier days of SA when posters would have given places like reddit a run for their money in the misogyny department.

Yes that certainly was only a problem back then and not now

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Google says about 18-20% of WoW players are women. World of Warcraft is the most popular game among women ages 25-45 though.

Ahh. That makes sense, I knew there was something about WoW and women representing a large demographic.

Maybe it's because I don't hate women, but I never really understood why male "gamers" feel so threatened by women playing games. Shouldn't they be happy that it's happening, since maybe this way they would be more likely to meet someone with their interests?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

kannonfodder posted:

Ahh. That makes sense, I knew there was something about WoW and women representing a large demographic.

Maybe it's because I don't hate women, but I never really understood why male "gamers" feel so threatened by women playing games. Shouldn't they be happy that it's happening, since maybe this way they would be more likely to meet someone with their interests?

Because it makes them not-special anymore.
Also because back in 10th grade, they didn't ask Jenny out so she started dating that jerk.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

kannonfodder posted:

For a lot of men the social aspect of video games serves an apolitical, non-judgmental "locker room" function in which women, especially women who will speak up about sexism, are seen as invasive and disruptive.

The Time Dissolver has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Oct 6, 2014

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ebola! Mainstream media! Arguments!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Here she is, from a public page so gently caress her.

EDIT: I should probably clarify, this is from a local news page on Facebook posting an article about the Supreme Court non-decision on gay marriage, making it essentially legal in Indiana and 10 other states. There are 300+ comments but hers really caught my eye.

Admiral Joeslop has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Oct 7, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't even know where to start.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Well those are reasonable and well-worded arguments.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Because there are no identifiers as to who she's referring to I'm going to choose to believe she's talking about her kid and this is why CPS gave her children away to gay people.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Picnic Princess posted:

I've been seeing that one graphic with text on black for a couple of months now. And bumper stickers. Including various intricate custom made decals with trees and praying children and all sorts of nonsense. People get so riled up about it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

dijon du jour posted:

Because there are no identifiers as to who she's referring to I'm going to choose to believe she's talking about her kid and this is why CPS gave her children away to gay people.

It's pretty clear she's talking about a dog, what with the other commenter mentioning "two dogs" and her own mention of "vets" and "animal services".

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's pretty clear she's talking about a dog, what with the other commenter mentioning "two dogs" and her own mention of "vets" and "animal services".

SteveVizsla is talking about her other dumb stream of thought above that one.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You can't trust those money hungry vets, what with wanting to get paid for major surgery!

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

Ebola! Mainstream media! Arguments!

He keeps yammering on about the monkeys that contacted ebola without direct contact. This happened a few decades ago, if I remember correctly, and for a time they thought that *maybe* virus had mutated and become airborne. However, researchers now believe it was due to clean up of urine and excrement on the floor with a high powered hose. It essential created an ebola mist that could travel a short distance between vents. That's it. No mutation. No airborne abilities. It was still spreading via bodily fluids.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Excuse me for existing! A friendly CPS worker took me away from a nuclear family so I could be dropped into the laps of a lesbian couple. gently caress my moms ;)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I buy all my pet meds from Tractor Supply. And no, I don't have a "dog graveyard" in my backyard--there are cats buried back there too

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The backlash here is amusing. Public page so not bothering to censor names.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Loving "Цолин Кауффман" there who is clearly some douche who tried to write his name in Cyrillic letters because he thinks it looks cool. It's supposed to say Colin Kauffman, but he's obviously using a QWERTY-based Russian keyboard layout designed for people learning the language, where the C key gets you Ц, which is a TS sound. Nice job, Tsolin.

Also, there's no hard C in Russian. The Cyrillic С is an S. Colin would be written as Колин (Kolin).

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Wait, so it's not cool to find pewpewdie obnoxious any more? gently caress, it's hard to keep up with this poo poo sometimes.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Nah, I just found it amusing that pretty much 100% of the comments hated him. I know he has 20 million subscribers or whatever but seems really sort of lovely to advertise a game with him that's actually supposed to be about atmosphere/horror when you'll just have a manchild screaming as loud as possible over the entire thing.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

You really shouldn't have any voiceovers for a thing advertising a horror game. Just a dark, atmospheric video that takes you into the environment and shows you what it's like.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

zakharov posted:

Yes that certainly was only a problem back then and not now

It's actually toned down a lot over the years, but that was not my way of saying "it's totally not a problem now guys."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tracula posted:

Nah, I just found it amusing that pretty much 100% of the comments hated him. I know he has 20 million subscribers or whatever but seems really sort of lovely to advertise a game with him that's actually supposed to be about atmosphere/horror when you'll just have a manchild screaming as loud as possible over the entire thing.

Whew. Thought I was the only sane one out here for a second.

The decision to use him to promote the game will inevitably pay off, though, because they're using such a well-known name to increase exposure. Every time someone comments on how lovely it is that he's promoting it, other people are notified that Joe Smith commented on Alien's status, then they will respond, and, well, there you go.

This sort of effect is especially irritating on YouTube, where thumb-downs are just as helpful as thumb-ups for search ranking. So, if you click the link with the intent of thumbing down and poo poo-talking pewpewpie in the comments, you've given him +1 pageview, +1 thumb, and +1 comment, which are all beneficial.

I miss the old days when it was easy to hate poo poo on the Internet

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You really shouldn't have any voiceovers for a thing advertising a horror game. Just a dark, atmospheric video that takes you into the environment and shows you what it's like.

IGN did a video where they made their staff play it in the dark and I thought that was pretty effective, their reactions kinda made it enjoyable to watch the gameplay and kept the sense of tension.

I hope Tsolin Kauffman regularly gets Russians calling him vatnik and khui.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kimmalah posted:

I think it's just that I have rose colored glasses about old SA. I started coming here in 04 and reg'd in 07.

Although I was just as bad as this poo poo in the past. I bought into the whole "South Park Equality" thing where as long as you insult and hate on everyone you're in the clear and you shouldn't be called on it.

Thankfully though...

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Idiots on Social Media: her guts r coming out of her butt

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Genius on Social Media

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Leofish posted:

Genius on Social Media

You can't post that without this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Do they not teach straight white guys the definition of the word harassment in school?

• Locked thread