Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I can't wait to finally get the last smash run challenge so I can never play this awful mode again. I don't care if it's the best way to grind out all the skill drops, it's not fun. Which is a shame really because I like the idea of it, it's just so poorly done in every possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Wait who said Mega-Man was bad?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Nuebot posted:

I can't wait to finally get the last smash run challenge so I can never play this awful mode again. I don't care if it's the best way to grind out all the skill drops, it's not fun. Which is a shame really because I like the idea of it, it's just so poorly done in every possible way.

My enjoyment of Smash Run improved exponentially once I got Sprinter Leg Parts and/or character specific leg parts with huge speed stats. Not starting out at a snail's pace makes a world of difference. Actually using offensive powers early on also made it a bit more fun for me.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
One time the final Smash Run thing I got was race to the finish. I was a fat Mario and there was a Sonic in the CPU crowd. Needless to say, his name is Sonic and his game is speed.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Nahxela posted:

One time the final Smash Run thing I got was race to the finish. I was a fat Mario and there was a Sonic in the CPU crowd. Needless to say, his name is Sonic and his game is speed.
I once got "Climb the highest" while playing as Little Mac.

It went slightly better than expected.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Christ you really have to go the extra mile to kill Peach or Luigi now. And I finally lost For Glory! The game decided holding left isn't good enough for it to actually turn the character around so I recovered in the wrong direction and suicided as a result. Oh well.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tae posted:

That's not how it works.

I'm being facetious.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Here's my only real complaint with this game honestly: After doing some reading it appears there is literally only two songs in each stage. We knew this already, but what's stupid is you can't replace one of the songs with another... even though there's an entire loving playlist in the ipod full of more songs that should be in stages. For instance if you were hoping to have Spark Man's music on the Mega Man's stage you just... can't. Because.......??????????????????

You can listen to it in the ipod thing though!

There's several other pieces of music with that same problem. What the gently caress is up with that?

edit: The most insane one I think is the fact that the pacman park music that was used IN the pacman trailer isn't an option for the stage. :confused:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Christ you really have to go the extra mile to kill Peach or Luigi now.
Luigi's been my man since Melee, and he's always had pretty crazy recovery skills. I'm glad he's still great fun to play. Nothing like chasing people down as a tornado.

I just finished a 4v4 match where I just did the Dedede pose on an edge away from the action. Whenever someone got near me, I would just roll into them with his down tilt. Playing like a complete moron got me into sudden death, where I just struck a pose on an edge and dodged any attacks without attacking back. The guy eventually got bored and just stared at me for a few seconds before a bob-omb fell on his head. I forgot to record it, but this is how I will play forever now.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

My enjoyment of Smash Run improved exponentially once I got Sprinter Leg Parts and/or character specific leg parts with huge speed stats. Not starting out at a snail's pace makes a world of difference. Actually using offensive powers early on also made it a bit more fun for me.

Agreed. It's so fun to see little Kirby rushing down as fast as a bullet with those little legs of his :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One of the loading screen tips says that Dedede can swallow enemies like Kirby, but because he's already perfect, he won't get anything out of it. :allears:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The problem with that though, is that it kind of defeats the purpose of the customization system because smash run basically tells defense or attack oriented characters to get the gently caress out. Ganondorf, for example, if defensive or attack can barely jump to the next platforms, and on top of that defensive upgrades barely help in the whole "enemies either stunlock or 1-hitKO you" department. So speed really is basically the only way to go for anyone who isn't naturally fast.

Honestly the only way I make it through smash run is spamming ganondorf's up and side specials to grab enemies. It works on pretty much any medium to small enemy but ghastly and the bubbles and usually prevents you from being bounced around like a pinball.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Chaltab posted:

I once got "Climb the highest" while playing as Little Mac.

It went slightly better than expected.

I got this as Little Mac too and got to a horizontal path at the last second Dark Pit jumped and beat me by literally a quarter of a foot, I was so angry.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Was dicking around in 1v1 earlier, beating up on a dude so I picked Lucina to go easy on him. He picked Pac-Man. It was the most anemic fight in the history of smash bros. Both of those characters are terrible.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Nuebot posted:

The problem with that though, is that it kind of defeats the purpose of the customization system because smash run basically tells defense or attack oriented characters to get the gently caress out. Ganondorf, for example, if defensive or attack can barely jump to the next platforms, and on top of that defensive upgrades barely help in the whole "enemies either stunlock or 1-hitKO you" department. So speed really is basically the only way to go for anyone who isn't naturally fast.

Honestly the only way I make it through smash run is spamming ganondorf's up and side specials to grab enemies. It works on pretty much any medium to small enemy but ghastly and the bubbles and usually prevents you from being bounced around like a pinball.

Those guys hit hard enough that you can focus a bit more on their speed to compensate. Also, most of my current setups with some of the character specific stuff give my characters stats like Attack +29, Defense +14, Speed +37 for Samus or Attack +31, Defense +19, Speed +63 but No Respawn Invincibility for Ganondorf, so you don't necessarily have to sacrifice any stat to still have a significant boost to one.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

gannyGrabber posted:

Was dicking around in 1v1 earlier, beating up on a dude so I picked Lucina to go easy on him. He picked Pac-Man. It was the most anemic fight in the history of smash bros. Both of those characters are terrible.

no they're not

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Chaltab posted:

Wait who said Mega-Man was bad?

Megaman is just so... weird. Like as any other character you are playing a Smash Bro, but as Megaman you aren't at all, you are really playing a ROBOT MASTER. He's just so very much different then anyone else, and I do think in the long run it will limit him.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

People playing Pac-Man need to abuse his side+B more, even in close and uncharged. The move done at the proper range and just straight on the ground is apparently safe even when shielded, at least according to the competitive folks testing things when the Japanese release hit.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i dont know the controls seemed really lovely when i first started playing the demo because its a lovely loving square with a circle pad vs. a gamecube/wiiu controller but after some playtime i got used to it

now im probably way better at this than i was at any other smash. but when i had melee i was a dumb fat kid and brawl was loving terrible so i dont have a good metric

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pac Man is the best character, I won't hear anything else

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm starting to think Lucina/Marth are bad because their throw punishes are really bad for damage and they don't go far or remotely go into combos.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Those guys hit hard enough that you can focus a bit more on their speed to compensate. Also, most of my current setups with some of the character specific stuff give my characters stats like Attack +29, Defense +14, Speed +37 for Samus or Attack +31, Defense +19, Speed +63 but No Respawn Invincibility for Ganondorf, so you don't necessarily have to sacrifice any stat to still have a significant boost to one.

Woah what how? I haven't even found anything but the basic +number -number items.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Nuebot posted:

Woah what how? I haven't even found anything but the basic +number -number items.

Those are mostly just +statA -statB items, but as you get better ones of those, you'll get ones that are like +40ish -20ish or even +60ish -30ish, letting you completely negate the minuses and then some.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

gannyGrabber posted:

IDK about Lucina but Pac Man is really legit.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm starting to think the Speed stat might have a drawback. I think it also tightens the timing on what the game registers as a Smash Attack. This is anecdotal, but I nearly maxed out the Wii Fit Trainer's speed bar in Smash Run mode, and during the ensuing fight I found that I was unintentionally using side-A instead of side smash-A over and over. I think it may have shortened the window between when you press the stick and when you can press A for it to count as a smash.

Not that you'd be jacking a custom character's speed up enough for it to matter most of the time, but I just found it interesting.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

I must say I hate Guar plains in spite of the awesome music. The bottom of the stage is a big gaping hole!

And unlike in Xenoblade itself you don't get an achievement for suicide off the Bionis.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 7, 2014

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Chaltab posted:

I must say I hate Guar plains in spite of the awesome music. The bottom of the stage is a big gaping hole!

And unlike in Xenoblade itself you don't get an achievement for suicide off the Bionis.

I once randomed into that stage as Ganondorf. His Side B does not stop at those platform's edges. Had like 4 SDs in a 2 minute match.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chaltab posted:

Based on Smash I hate everything about Xenoblade.

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
It's probably completely obvious, but how the hell do you launch the bomb in Target Blast?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Hit it with a smash attack.

At high enough % it will also be launched by any attack with sufficient launching power. This is really annoying on heavy hitters like Ganondorf.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Ok Bowser is OP as gently caress, like, I can't beat him. He just outranges most melee-based characters and he doesnt flinch. I have to be like, Samus or something and wittle him down from a million feet away.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

How Rude posted:

Ok Bowser is OP as gently caress, like, I can't beat him. He just outranges most melee-based characters and he doesnt flinch. I have to be like, Samus or something and wittle him down from a million feet away.

as a bowser main-er i have to say that good samus players are the bane of my existence. pretty much everything else gets trashed though

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Nahxela posted:

I had the opposite happen. I got it when I was Captain Falcon and nearly maxed on speedboosts. The AIs never stood a chance.

EDIT: Also! Creating a room! Come one, come all! Join me in smashing bros!

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Kooriken posted:

I had the opposite happen. I got it when I was Captain Falcon and nearly maxed on speedboosts. The AIs never stood a chance.

EDIT: Also! Creating a room! Come one, come all! Join me in smashing bros!

im in

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I swear to god the gerudo valley bridge is the most evil, spiteful, and sentient setpiece in the history of videogames.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

How Rude posted:

I swear to god the gerudo valley bridge is the most evil, spiteful, and sentient setpiece in the history of videogames.

Ahahahaha. Also I am bad at Little Mac.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Thanks Smash Run for giving me the running final stage when I decide to play as Bowser. I legit haven't actually won a round of Smash run yet.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

The Potato Car is truly ZSS's greatest weapon.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

ChaosArgate posted:

Thanks Smash Run for giving me the running final stage when I decide to play as Bowser. I legit haven't actually won a round of Smash run yet.

Oh thank god I thought it was only me. Every race some one has had a ridiculous speed boost. every climb I hit the bombs. And every match up I straight lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I am loving terrible at this game. I think I won one of my 12 1v1 glory matches, but I love it all the same. Does anyone have ZSS tips? I feel like her smashes and aerials are decent, but particular lethal. Maybe that's just me being bad though

Edit: /\/\ potato car?

• Locked thread