Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Siege Rhino's lifegain is incredibly relevant since the format has so many fast, threat-dense aggro decks. In an environment where people are Lightning Striking your face, Rhino is often a 3-for-1 or better.

I hate Siege Rhino.

The card by itself makes my Big Red deck fold immediately. Its out of range of stoke, sarkhan minus, anger. I need to blow 2 cards on it or a 4 damage thing plus Chandra plus.

That card gives me really disgusting feelbads and is literally the reason my deck 0-2s against Abzan Midrange.

At least the Rhino type has a playable type that isn't on a Loxodon, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Count Bleck posted:

I hate Siege Rhino.

The card by itself makes my Big Red deck fold immediately. Its out of range of stoke, sarkhan minus, anger. I need to blow 2 cards on it or a 4 damage thing plus Chandra plus.

That card gives me really disgusting feelbads and is literally the reason my deck 0-2s against Abzan Midrange.

Somebody forgot that Fated Conflagration exists.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Brownhat posted:

I'm not sure fated conflagration is a playable card in sligh/aggro decks, which is what's being discussed, but it may be a reasonable answer for the more land-heavy red decks. The red deck popular around here right now uses 16 or 17 land.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Zurgo Helmsmasher is amazingly fun in the Mardu control deck. I think people are just like "what the gently caress are you playing" whenever I cast him.

Not to mention, the opportunity to yell "ZURGO SMASH" every time you cast him.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'm not sure fated conflagration is a playable card in sligh/aggro decks, which is what's being discussed, but it may be a reasonable answer for the more land-heavy red decks. The red deck popular around here right now uses 16 or 17 land.

Count Bleck posted:

Sligh/Aggro is not, in fact, what was being discussed.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah, it's not really an option in the Sub-Sligh deck that Shovelmint put together, where you're likely to have 3 mountains on board by the time you win, but it could be a side-board option in Rabble Red if Siege Rhino tends to dominate Abzan games. I mean, it seems like Red's best option for that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

do you also yell, "I'M THE JUGGERNAUT BITCH" when you play juggernaut?
missed opportunity imo, not annoying/weird at all

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mortimer posted:

do you also yell, "I'M THE JUGGERNAUT BITCH" when you play juggernaut?
missed opportunity imo, not annoying/weird at all

Luckily I keep the yelling to myself while playing MTGO because I am self-conscious about my insanity.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
So I'm kinda bummed about Jeskai taking off as much as it did - I had a U/W heroic/tempoish deck using only Theros block and M15 sitting around ready to update it for Khans, but a lot of the components have kind of taken off in price now that Jeskai is in the spotlight, and I'm looking for a new budget alternative. So I'm wondering, how viable would a Temur control/midrange deck be? I drafted it recently and actually had a lot of success getting someone out who triggered Ferocious and making him forcibly clear the enemy board with stuff like Savage Punch and Swift Kick, and then being able to answer all of their bigger stuff with Stubborn Denial, and it was a lot of fun. Obviously it'd have a harder time against more straight-up control, but against other decks it let me have free reign of the board at pretty much all times and really let me pound face quickly as well once everything was set up. Thoughts?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Brownhat posted:

I did. I could've ran it instead of magma spray like an idiot.

I honestly expected more 2 toughness creatures with people running less midrange and more aggro, I tried to make a metacall and have the cheap affordable 3/2 Spray/Searing Blood package.

5 is a number I was not expecting, and it showed when I went undefeated in my first three rounds at the IQ when I ran into double BUG Delve decks and Jeskai Aggro.

And then immediately got blown out by Abzan Midrange, and then lost to Jeskai Control

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm having so much fun with a Reanimator brew abusing the hell out of Ashen Rider, Siege Rhino, and Rescue from the Underworld. It's surprisingly consistent, especially with Nyx Weaver around.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Heavy Lobster posted:

So I'm kinda bummed about Jeskai taking off as much as it did - I had a U/W heroic/tempoish deck using only Theros block and M15 sitting around ready to update it for Khans, but a lot of the components have kind of taken off in price now that Jeskai is in the spotlight, and I'm looking for a new budget alternative.
I don't know about Temur, but what is causing problems with finishing out WU Heroic based on Khans? Tom Ross's list only has one rare from Khans in it, and it's Flooded Strand. Does yours expect to go longer so you need like Wingmate Roc or something? There are also a few varied lists from MTGO already listed here and I don't see anything in there too Khans-ish. The deck seems very good too, I went 2-1 with it yesterday at a small local event.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Zurgo Helmsmasher is amazingly fun in the Mardu control deck. I think people are just like "what the gently caress are you playing" whenever I cast him.

Alternatively: Nevermind that poo poo, HERE COMES ZURGO!

:v:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Boco_T posted:

I don't know about Temur, but what is causing problems with finishing out WU Heroic based on Khans? Tom Ross's list only has one rare from Khans in it, and it's Flooded Strand. Does yours expect to go longer so you need like Wingmate Roc or something? There are also a few varied lists from MTGO already listed here and I don't see anything in there too Khans-ish. The deck seems very good too, I went 2-1 with it yesterday at a small local event.

I hadn't seen Tom Ross' list before but that's actually not that far off what I was building (his is more white than blue, since as a longtime aggro player I've been wanting to branch out and have my creatures stick, if that makes sense), thanks a ton for linking it!

I think the main problem I've been facing is that I've been wanting to branch out and put red in it, namely so I can use Flying Crane Technique as a finisher, and I'm just overwhelmed with a lot of options, all of which seem to be a bit more for a playset than I was expecting, although maybe that's just because the set is really new and the archetype took off so quickly.

e: Also not gonna lie a big part of why I'm drawn to Temur is that I absolutely love bears and they have kind of a bear motif and as much as I love a lot of Jeskai stuff (Deflecting Palm in particular has such over-the-top gross art that I would be tempted to run 4 as often as possible), my inner Vorthos is calling to me.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Here's a strange question: If you sac a face-down creature using Rescue from the Underworld, does that creature return face-up?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Here's a strange question: If you sac a face-down creature using Rescue from the Underworld, does that creature return face-up?
From my rough understanding it will come back face up. It's only face down due to morphing it or Ixidron.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yes. It will return face up. The fine print on morph states that you may play the card face down as a 2/2 by paying 3. There is no replacement effect that would cause it to enter face down or anything and it gets revealed whenever it changes zones.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

I hate Siege Rhino.

Just be glad it's not Thragtusk.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

based on that new mexico state tournament where most decks in the t8 were jeskai, what would happen if suddenly everyone only played jeskai and every tournament looks like that? Like cawblade only without oppressive cards, just efficient midrange in a pool of below average cards. Would they ban anything? (I don't think ANYTHING is ban worthy and I know other decks will be made, I'm just curious)

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Mortimer posted:

based on that new mexico state tournament where most decks in the t8 were jeskai, what would happen if suddenly everyone only played jeskai and every tournament looks like that? Like cawblade only without oppressive cards, just efficient midrange in a pool of below average cards. Would they ban anything? (I don't think ANYTHING is ban worthy and I know other decks will be made, I'm just curious)

That's only going to happen in a format where jeskais worst matchup is jeskai.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mortimer posted:

No, because they would look like idiots. They waited forever, long past the time when they should have, to ban Jace and Stoneforge. Those cards are clearly broken and the metagame was clearly extremely unhealthy. Banning anything less powerful would just be inconceivable.

Until Jeskai Ascension starts taking over standard and we have another combo winter where nothing else is viable :unsmigghh:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If it happens people will make their complaints about blue, despite it being some grudging afterthought of a color in that deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If it happens people will make their complaints about blue, despite it being some grudging afterthought of a color in that deck.

No see they'll bitch about the red and it being mindless turning men sideways and relying on lucky topdecks to win

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

"NOW THEY DONT EVEN HAVE TO TURN THE MANS SIDEWAYS. THEY JUST PUSH THEM FORWARD A LITTLE."

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
What are the odds Elspeth, Sun's Champion will sharply drop in price before/after rotation? I kind of want one, but I usually only play with friends, so I'm not in a huge hurry to get it. If it stays above $20 after it's not standard legal, I figure I'll get it now, but if it goes down to $10/15 I can wait a year.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I can't really see it maintaining it's current price post rotation.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
Fated Conflagration is actually surprisingly relevant - it kills all but 3 planeswalkers in standard after they've plused once (Garruk, Liliana, Jace), and 5 damage kills Polukranos, Siege Rhino, Necropolis Fiend and Nyx-Fleece. It might not be the best option for a slot in your deck, but I'd say it's probably worth trying in the current metagame.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Duel Deck Anthologies needs a special Japan Only edition featuring Anime Jace, Anime Chandra, and All New Anime Garruk and Anime Liliana.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

bhsman posted:

Alternatively: Nevermind that poo poo, HERE COMES ZURGO!

I have to use this sometime, that's just too perfect :allears:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mortimer posted:

Stop worrying about the meta based on SCG tournaments where everyone has just copied the previous SCG tournament.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

Stop worrying about the meta based on SCG tournaments where everyone has just copied the previous SCG tournament.

Are people really expecting the pro tour to show off some super secret power decks that is somehow going make the meta that much different than it is now?

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Sickening posted:

Are people really expecting the pro tour to show off some super secret power decks that is somehow going make the meta that much different than it is now?

I mean it happened last year with mono-blue.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sickening posted:

Yes? The pro tour is A Big Deal as far as deckbuilding goes, and a lot of pros have jobs where building a deck in secret is not only possible, but valuable.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's not like jeskai tempo is some unbeatable deck, it's just a good answer to all the green-durdle decks in the current meta. Turns out attacking with 3/3 hasted fliers is good versus ramping ground guys. Alternatively, griptiding whatever ramp target they just played and hitting them with a rabblemaster.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online-announcements-october-6-2014

Oh god I have to do it again, ima post my stream in thread this next time so i have a billion dudes watching me punt game3 to the eventual winner just like last time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Niton posted:

Yes? The pro tour is A Big Deal as far as deckbuilding goes, and a lot of pros have jobs where building a deck in secret is not only possible, but valuable.

Yeah. Do you read Channel Fireball? What about Star City? You see all of the deck tech articles pros have done recently? They're all decks that they were testing for the Pro Tour and decided weren't quite good enough. Pros don't write about the deck they're going to play at the Pro Tour. Star City and CF are full of Tier 1.5 decks right now.

I do expect Jeskai-based aggro and Abzan-based midrange to be big players in the Standard-- they're pretty obvious decks-- but the lists the pros will be running aren't published anywhere right now.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I Love You! posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online-announcements-october-6-2014

Oh god I have to do it again, ima post my stream in thread this next time so i have a billion dudes watching me punt game3 to the eventual winner just like last time.

Good luck!

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Sickening posted:

So far it appears to be a limited bomb and not much else. Green already has some really solid creatures and are being played over it.

It's just not what you want in a Monsters deck. Monsters wants to skip 3 drops and get to the 4/5 drops and Knuckleblade doesn't beat Polukranos in a fight. He's decent in decks that hold up mana, I've been playing around with a couple in modern and being able to swing hard on an empty board the turn you play him, threaten Tarmogoyf as a 6/6 and survive almost all removal is pretty nice. I'm not sure he's the correct card to play but he's at least good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gensuki posted:

What are the odds Elspeth, Sun's Champion will sharply drop in price before/after rotation? I kind of want one, but I usually only play with friends, so I'm not in a huge hurry to get it. If it stays above $20 after it's not standard legal, I figure I'll get it now, but if it goes down to $10/15 I can wait a year.

After? Almost certainly. It's 6 mana spell that sees no play outside Standard / EDH. Being a planeswalker will keep it at a few bucks at least, but when it rotates it will plummet. Look up a price history on Garruk, Primal Hunter. A Standard powerhouse comparable to Elspeth, capable of ending games on its own if left unchallenged for a few turns, currently sitting somewhere south of $5 because it's too big and slow for Modern or Legacy.

You'll have to wait a year for that to happen to Elspeth though, because in Standard she's really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
if anyone actually cares about that price tracking on foils i did earlier it seems that pretty much all foils of eternal playables spike like crazy when the new fall block is released. If this pattern holds for the delta, then it could easily end up at 120$ or more. In fact, this pattern seems to make it trivially correct to hold on to any foil fetches one can acquire, as they are very likely increase in value by at least 60% in only a year.

• Locked thread