Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Fuzz Feets posted:

I do know that another dog in this thread, Mona has a pretty rad bed set up too if you flip back a few pages.

Mona has taken to sleeping in the middle of the floor. I think it's so she can trip us if we get up in the middle of the night. She'll rest and lie down on her bed when we're in the room, but won't sleep overnight in it. Stupid dog.

edit: Since it's a new page:

Here's Mona with the baby

They are getting along wonderfully. Baby smiles whenever she see's Mona, and bursts out laughing whenever she comes in contact with Mona's fur. We've managed to keep the face licking down to a minimum too.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

slap me silly posted:

I often just let him have the run of the house all night and he goes to the door and barks when it's the proper time to get up.

Aaaaand the last few days - if I let him have the run of the house, he thinks it's time to get up at 7:30am. If I keep him in the bedroom, 9 or 10 is fine. Go figure.

Edit: Wheeeee, pics!

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

That second photo with the baby and Mona is like whassat? So cute!

Today was the end of season dog swim at a nearby park. Reese jumped in but didn't swim he merely walked along the bottom or hopped.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

gninjagnome posted:

They are getting along wonderfully. Baby smiles whenever she see's Mona, and bursts out laughing whenever she comes in contact with Mona's fur. We've managed to keep the face licking down to a minimum too.
Mona is just trying to improve the immune system of her latest pack member. How thoughtful!

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Got my Lady Gaga back in July. People say there is some resemblance to the celebrity.

Hmm, this is interesting. Rather than sleep on either of her two pet beds, she's decided to camp out in the middle of the hallway. Almost tripped over her on the way to the bathroom.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake and I are watching Hounds on Netflix. He seems to recognize that there are greyhounds on this show. If I raise my hand to block his vision he lifts his head up to look around it then whines. He has never done this with any other show. It's not been that good of a show, but the occasional race scene or dog appearance seems to interest him quite a bit. I can't keep him away from the tv! The dogs are not inside of there silly!

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Notice a bunch of you have the Hound Haberdashery collars off Etsy. How's the durability on those things? Gotta ask before I pay for the crazy shipping to Canada.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Hey I'm in Canada too, you should check out HuggableHound on Etsy. They're in Canada and make good collars. I've been using the same collar on Gannon for about two years now and it's a bit frayed but otherwise fine. I do leave him uncollared inside the house though which helps with the wear.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Here's a bunch of pictures of Gaga. I apologize for the crappy Instagram filters.

In the driver's seat.

In the back of the car. This is really her favourite spot.

Pulling off a rare roach. She mostly sleeps on her side.

I'm Commander Greyhound. Commander Sheppard is the German guy.

Crappy flash sometimes produces surprising results.

Should start carrying around my decent camera, to get some better photos of her.

ascendance fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 8, 2014

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Lagomorphic posted:

Hey I'm in Canada too, you should check out HuggableHound on Etsy. They're in Canada and make good collars. I've been using the same collar on Gannon for about two years now and it's a bit frayed but otherwise fine. I do leave him uncollared inside the house though which helps with the wear.
Yeah, they have some good stuff. But my wife is totally won over by the awesome brocades from Hound Haberdashery. HuggableHound has some real silk stuff, though.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mine are from Hound Decor, which is owned by the secretary of our greyhound rescue. Looks like they have some similar patterns. We have two collars that we've had since we've gotten Mona. We alternate them whenever we decide to wash one. They've held up pretty well, considering they are 4 years old, some minor fraying, but other wise in really good shape.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
My dog just loves dried roasted squid. Was trying to dig into my bag for it.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

This thread needs more hound pics.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Has anybody else had a problem where their hound is TOO SPOOKY???

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

My hound is only ever too goofy.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Treegoat, does your hound burrow under the covers on his/her own?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Mine requires assistance, but she likes it.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ascendance posted:

Treegoat, does your hound burrow under the covers on his/her own?

They "entirely covered with blankets" thing is usually us "assisting" but he will move the blankets around on his own. Normally if he is hanging off the bed he will make a sort of pillow out of whatever blanket is by the bed so he doesn't have to actually move but can still be on 100% soft things.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Earlier Remy ran down the hall to the elevators, back to me, then back to the elevators again; but near the end yelped, held his front paw up, and limped like that for a few seconds before walking with me. He's done this a few times before (though this was the first yelp I've heard), but each time he seems to recover pretty much immediately. Does this sound like anything I should worry about, or is he probably just running too hard and landing wrong or something?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Lhet posted:

Earlier Remy ran down the hall to the elevators, back to me, then back to the elevators again; but near the end yelped, held his front paw up, and limped like that for a few seconds before walking with me. He's done this a few times before (though this was the first yelp I've heard), but each time he seems to recover pretty much immediately. Does this sound like anything I should worry about, or is he probably just running too hard and landing wrong or something?
Check his paw for injury. Could have stepped on something. Or maybe he's just breaking too hard.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Lhet posted:

I know with Union, her front feet outer toes were a bit dodgy and would pop out of place if she torqued them. I would just have to nudge them back in. Apparently it's not that uncommon, since racers rely on those toes for turning they can get damaged from racing.

Union was a bit funny, sometimes she would be a big crybaby over nothing, and other times she would be completely stoic while bleeding profusely. Gotta check em over real careful.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

skoolmunkee posted:

I know with Union, her front feet outer toes were a bit dodgy and would pop out of place if she torqued them. I would just have to nudge them back in. Apparently it's not that uncommon, since racers rely on those toes for turning they can get damaged from racing.

Union was a bit funny, sometimes she would be a big crybaby over nothing, and other times she would be completely stoic while bleeding profusely. Gotta check em over real careful.
Given that they used to be (and still are sometimes) put down for serious injuries and disease, you could say they are naturally selected for being whiny about little things before they get worse, and be quiet about serious things.

Edit: moments like this make me go, oh poo poo, its not just all smiling happy dogs in the racing industry. I am grateful for my pointy nosed moocher, but the industry makes me :sadface:

ascendance fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 14, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

skoolmunkee posted:

A bleeding cut can hurt a whole lot less then stubbing your toe on the doorjam im my experience. The key is not to do both at the same time!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake recently graduated from the PetSmart basic obedience class. By some strange luck, the only other dog in our scheduled time was another greyhound. We were able to tailor the class to fit greyhounds specifically. Like most greyhounds, ours were not good at sitting so we omitted the sitting training. Instead we used a down command. The trainer also had a half greyhound half something else as her only dog so she knew at least a few of the quirks.

Photo dump incoming! Here's a closeup of his previously-broken toe.

He can actually hide his gigantic ears somehow.

A roast beef sandwich for his birthday.

Obligatory sleeping funny photos:

He also gets in our pool. But only on the first step, never deeper. And only on this end of the first step. And only facing this direction. Ever. Dog logic is weird.

And a handy anatomy guide:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Jack is a very handsome fellow, but oh my god him in the pool is so cute :3:

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
We take ours to the lake with a friend's lab. She's gotten quite adventurous about getting wet, but still, she tends not to go in past her belly.

Edit: is Jack Handsome Jack😀 boy is he ever handsome!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah mine is an enthusiastic wadder but he doesn't swim.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Remy's done the same run again and again without any foot issues, so I think he just overdid it a couple times.
It's really amazing how playful he gets with other dogs now. He occasionally got playful in the past, but since a coworker started bringing his dog, Remy will now bow and initiate the playing. He's also finally figured out sitting (probably by example). It's kinda a one-sided sit, and he'll generally lie down immediately after, but I won't complain!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It's definitely a process. It's been about five months of going to the dog park but Reese is finally starting to initiate play with dogs directly instead of homing in on other dogs playing and awkwardly trying to join in.

I doubt he's ever going to learn how to fetch since he's just not toy driven, but man he likes to chase after other dogs.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Rory will sometimes initiate play with other dogs. She tends to prefer certain breeds, too; doberman pinschers are her favorite. There's a ginormous 120 pound-plus male that's owned by a member of the board of the local SPCA and any time he's there, she follows him around like a doofy schoolgirl with a crush.

I often meet a friend there with her equally-socially-awkward border collie-ish mix. She and Rory will occasionally get involved with other dogs playing, but mostly they just hang out on the periphery together like two dorky otaku girls in the school lunch room.

In other news, today is officially the beginning of Coat Season.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

It took Mona a couple months of weekly dog park visits to start playing with other dogs as well. She loves to wait for a couple dogs to chase another dog, and then will go join in. Otherwise, she'll pick one or two dogs that she'll focus trying to play with. Usually, it's either a large dog like a german shepard, or a small dog - she love's corgi's.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 19, 2014

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Took Gaga to the park and ran into a meet up group for Eurasiers, which are a wacky mix of Chow, Spitz, and Samoyed. They are the cutest mid sized fluffballs you could possibly find, and it was awesome seeing Gaga chase and be chased by them. Also, now I know how other random dog owners feel when they show up and find the park has been taken over by a greyhound meet up.

I was jealous of the floofiness, and they were jealous of my not vacuuming every day.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

We had the GPA-MN member appreciation event yesterday. They had a huge fenced-in area, so there were like 30-40 greyhounds out there running around. Also we had raised money to take care of one who had a serious injury - he was out there running around with this leg brace on. A true American hero :911:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I had to stay home today because Abby hurt herself last night. I actually think it's from that GPA event Sunday where she was running around. Anyway she has trouble lifting her head, and the vet said she had a muscle sprain or something similar in her neck. So now she has prednisone and a muscle relaxer. Pills are so fun to give a dog when you don't have any pill pockets, and they don't like having their head lifted!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

actionjackson posted:

Pills are so fun to give a dog when you don't have any pill pockets, and they don't like having their head lifted!

Mine wolf down their pills in a teaspoon of cottage cheese, yogurt, pumpkin, or even a chunk of banana.

Pretty much anything actually.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

My parents had a couple greyhounds. One (background) I thought about submitting to a Fermilab or something because he pooped and peed more than he ate/drank and didn't lose or gain weight. He also pulled a large diet pepsi from Taco Bell off the counter and drank the whole thing after eating an entire tub of butter. Never got sick. He did die of bone cancer, though. The other one (foreground, still alive) forgets how to climb the stairs regularly, although I think that he thinks that when he slips on them they're actually biting his legs.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Omglosser posted:

My parents had a couple greyhounds. One (background) I thought about submitting to a Fermilab or something because he pooped and peed more than he ate/drank and didn't lose or gain weight. He also pulled a large diet pepsi from Taco Bell off the counter and drank the whole thing after eating an entire tub of butter. Never got sick. He did die of bone cancer, though. The other one (foreground, still alive) forgets how to climb the stairs regularly, although I think that he thinks that when he slips on them they're actually biting his legs.

I love just how gooberish most greyhounds are. Here's a pic of my boy with his new 'bed'. We got a rug for the hardwood floor because he was slipping badly and hurting himself when he got excited. Now he's using it as a bed!

Berryblood
Sep 12, 2009

spoon daddy posted:

I love just how gooberish most greyhounds are. Here's a pic of my boy with his new 'bed'. We got a rug for the hardwood floor because he was slipping badly and hurting himself when he got excited. Now he's using it as a bed!

In his defense, it DOES look comfy.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Remy was holding his paw up Friday morning, and walked to work just fine. He ran really hard at that day, my and a couple coworkers kinda ran to get him excited and such. He seemed to walk home just fine, but when I went to take him out for the last time he was limping pretty severely on his front left leg. I checked for anything he could've stepped on, but everything seemed fine (though he did pull the left paw away a little when I was looking). He continued to limp fairly severely Saturday morning (to the point where I used the elevator instead of the stairs to let him out), but had pretty much recovered by that night. I took him to my parents on Sunday and he seemed fine, though I had to stop him when he began to slightly limp while running and trying to play with my parents dog.
Does this sound like just a standard sprain? If so, how long should I keep him from running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My greyhound had a neck sprain very recently, does he make any yelping or other sounds of pain? I would definitely check with the vet, I was prescribed a muscle relaxer (methocarbamol) and prednisone.