Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Jesus Christ, goon white knights will defend anything won't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Yeah this thread was pretty amusing back in the day. I somewhat get people defending the guy a few weeks after release but it's been a year and people are still fighting the good fight making sure Wollay doesn't endure the injustices of the mean internet people.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Asimo posted:

Jesus Christ, goon white knights will defend anything won't they?

I'm sorry you're mad that you're bad at spending your money. Hopefully in the future your ability to read people will expand to where you can understand when something is a terrible decision to buy into, also so that you don't confuse someone saying "word on anything is glacial at best and always has been but here is a Thing" with an endorsement of the product.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
You're just looking to get into fights aren't you.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

I'm sorry you're mad that you're bad at spending your money. Hopefully in the future your ability to read people will expand to where you can understand when something is a terrible decision to buy into, also so that you don't confuse someone saying "word on anything is glacial at best and always has been but here is a Thing" with an endorsement of the product.
:coffeepal:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

wagh!! :eyepop:

i've been.. ownde..

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

You're alright, Heavy Lobster. You're alright. :c00lbutt:

But yeah game is dead, has been since it launched since Wollay seems unable to patch or even communicate with people more than once a year, and the thread should have been allowed to fade into the archives and be forgotten just like the game.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I forgot I bought this and the dev forgot he made it.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, I regret posting that question now :negative:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Asimo posted:

But yeah game is dead, has been since it launched since Wollay seems unable to patch or even communicate with people more than once a year, and the thread should have been allowed to fade into the archives and be forgotten just like the game.

Overbite posted:

These are both entirely accurate.

I definitely had fun with Cube World, even if it does have all of like eight features in it total, but there's really no use for a thread about it until around 2017 when it's something closer to a full-fledged game rather than a tech demo.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Doh004 posted:

Holy poo poo this game is still going?

No, not really

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Heavy Lobster posted:

It's almost as if AAA developers can get more done than some German dude making games in his spare time!

I thought developers put their game into early access so they wouldn't have to work on it in their spare time.

Did he not make enough early access sales to make working on it his main job?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think he ever really intended to quit his job to work on it, he only released it when he did because the demand for it was so high.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
If you miss the antics of this thread, come visit us in the Starbound thread!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Overbite posted:

I forgot to buy this

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I forgot :911:

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Insert typical "oh look 30 new posts, maybe update? Oh....just disappointment" post here.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Jesto posted:

I thought developers put their game into early access so they wouldn't have to work on it in their spare time.

Did he not make enough early access sales to make working on it his main job?

He released it to early access because tons of people were screaming at him to release it to early access, furthermore early access always has been and always will be an investment and the thing about investments is sometimes they don't pan out. That's how investing in things works.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Wollay is actually still working on the game, just as slow as gently caress, because that's what he said he was going to do.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Fortunately, a really good Masters of Orion II III successor looks like it is in progress. Pre-orders open soon!

http://www.stardrivegame.com posted:

StarDrive 2 is a 4X Turn Based Strategy game built in the classic style of the singular and incredible Master of Orion 2. In StarDrive 2 you will explore a vibrant galaxy filled with danger and intrigue in a deep turn-based strategy layer. You will design custom spaceships and deploy them into real-time battles with spectacular graphics and effects. You will conquer worlds in a turn-based tactical ground combat mode. You'll deal with aliens, pirates, monsters, and ancient threats, most of whom want to kill you to make room for their own empires.

StarDrive 2 also features a "Battle Arena" mode where you can get right to the action by designing ships and playing through story-based campaigns with your fleet. Earn money as you work through the challenges to unlock new ships and weapons.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You guys can always play Trove which is a shittier Cube World, but actually being developed.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Malcolm posted:

Fortunately, a really good Masters of Orion II III successor looks like it is in progress. Pre-orders open soon!

Unless I'm missing the joke didn't the developer just straight up abandon the game and even post on SA, being a righteous prick to people daring to criticize him? It might have be Star Drive or star-something with a really similar sounding name.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The dev who made this game is a terrible person. And should die in a terrible way. gently caress him and gently caress anyone who defended him.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Baloogan posted:

The dev who made this game is a terrible person. And should die in a terrible way. gently caress him and gently caress anyone who defended him.

A rational and measured response

:wtc:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

A rational and measured response

:wtc:

gently caress you. You are one of the 'defend the dev' brigade based on your post history.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Hugoon Chavez posted:

You guys can always play Trove which is a shittier Cube World, but actually being developed.

I tried Trove and while some basic elements are the same it's not Cube World. I bought it when it was first 'released' and I really enjoyed the aspect of exploration, especially the climb mechanics that allowed me to get everywhere if I just planned my climb well, even on lower levels. Trove is not well suited for exploration, it only does the hit things in cube graphics and has some building aspect that are missing in the current and probably final version of Cubeworld.

I still fire it up sometimes to explore down/up a river with my boat or climb some cliff to hang-glide back down again. But some of the core gameplay elements that would make the game playable beyond that are missing and I doubt they will ever get implemented. So I understand the frustration that people feel about this, as there is not really a game with a world-gen and exploration feel like cubeworld out there.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Baloogan posted:

gently caress you. You are one of the 'defend the dev' brigade based on your post history.

You seem awfully mad at video games, friend. Perhaps you should quit doing that.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

You seem awfully mad at video games, friend. Perhaps you should quit doing that.

I'm angry at scammers and useful idiots like you who enable scams.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I'm mad!!! That I still have this thread bookmarked.

I've only myself to blame though...

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Devs forgot, Nerds where Angry, Mods knew.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Baloogan posted:

I'm angry at scammers and useful idiots like you who enable scams.

Uh huh, i see. How long have you had these feelings?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

Uh huh, i see. How long have you had these feelings?

Regarding this game? Roughly an hour after I purchased it. Its poo poo and the OP should edit the first post to indicate that.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Goons seem to have some severe triggers when it comes to some games. Cube World, Sim City 5 and MWO all seem to be the most prominent.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

It's not poo poo though. It's barebones but it's fun. I got more enjoyment out of it than I do out of many full-priced games... So while I'm disappointed it hasn't gone anywhere, I got my moneys worth :colbert:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tracula posted:

Goons seem to have some severe triggers when it comes to some games. Cube World, Sim City 5 and MWO all seem to be the most prominent.

Baloogan posted:

Severe Trigger is an understatement

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
To be fair it is pretty firmly in scam territory. He should have stuck with his impulse not to sell it as an early release because what has occurred is pretty unethical.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Enkmar posted:

To be fair it is pretty firmly in scam territory. He should have stuck with his impulse not to sell it as an early release because what has occurred is pretty unethical.

An investment failing to pay off is not a scam, that is just something that happens with investments sometimes. If you don't want to risk losing your money by investing in a failed product then never invest in anything; only buy completed products.

'Early Access' is always an investment and like all investments it involves an element of risk. There is no guarantee that the game will in fact be completed, only that the dev will try.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 7, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Neruz posted:

An investment failing to pay off is not a scam, that is just something that happens with investments sometimes. If you don't want to risk losing your money by investing in a failed product then never invest in anything; only buy completed products.

'Early Access' is always an investment and like all investments it involves an element of risk. There is no guarantee that the game will in fact be completed, only that the dev will try.

No, see, that's is unreasonable and unacceptable, unlike wishing death on someone over a 20 dollar video game

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Look at these guys defending internet scamming ^^.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Baloogan posted:

Look at these guys defending internet scamming ^^.

sorry, too busy watching a bunch of nerds arguing about video games.:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
merge this thread with the starbound thread

• Locked thread