Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

Web 2.0 2.9 - Not Goon Friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

No, a knockoff of that.

So a "anonymous" knockoff of a worthless shitheap of unreadable dribble then?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Baller Witness Bro posted:

It's actually genius despite how specific it is to your location. It's great to post anonymously but it wouldn't mean anything if it were posted to everyone in the world. They limit it to ~1.5 miles from your location AFAIK so that when you make a post there's some semblance of a chance that readers will understand what the gently caress you're talking about.

So I could post to nobody 99% of the time. Sounds great. Sort of like g+

Kind of reminds me of that Nintendo 3DS streetpass bullshit. It might work well in an urban area in Japan but probably nowhere else. That sort of functionality doesn't really interest me but out of curiosity a while back I'd take my 3DS with me and keep it asleep in my pocket when I was in a population centre. I think I pinged two, maybe three people in quite a few days. I know it's only Wi-fi range but still, crowded shopping centres etc.
Unless something artificially boosts awareness and desirability to use a localized service, usage rates are probably going to be very low.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

So a "anonymous" knockoff of a worthless shitheap of unreadable dribble then?

The word is "drivel", christ.

Edit:

quote:

oriface

not helping yourself here

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 7, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Pham Nuwen posted:

No, this is Twitter we're talking about, most tweets are pretty similar to what came out of STR's rear end after his rancid turkey incident. Dribble is pretty appropriate :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's typed "verbal" diarrhea, restricted to a small text size. Thence dribble as in a dribble of warm poo poo coming out of a virtual oriface is exactly the right word :p

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

General_Failure posted:

So I could post to nobody 99% of the time. Sounds great. Sort of like g+

Kind of reminds me of that Nintendo 3DS streetpass bullshit. It might work well in an urban area in Japan but probably nowhere else. That sort of functionality doesn't really interest me but out of curiosity a while back I'd take my 3DS with me and keep it asleep in my pocket when I was in a population centre. I think I pinged two, maybe three people in quite a few days. I know it's only Wi-fi range but still, crowded shopping centres etc.
Unless something artificially boosts awareness and desirability to use a localized service, usage rates are probably going to be very low.

Idk, it works well if you go on campuses or actually anywhere near where young nerds gather.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Tusen Takk posted:

Idk, it works well if you go on campuses or actually anywhere near where young nerds gather.

Walgreens?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
My relatives are selling the '92 Custom Cruiser they bought new from my grandpa, who was an Olds dealer. It has a great history, low miles (115K) and a ton of sentimental value, but it's also the size of a Suburban and there's no way it would fit in my garage.

I want it badly, but it's completely impractical in every imaginable way. :smith:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

Walgreens?

no idea on that one, but I know I get a ton of notifications whenever I'm at the Apple Store.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Why the gently caress haven't I used ratcheting crimpers in all the automotive wiring?

gently caress yes, crimps that stay together.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

zundfolge posted:

My relatives are selling the '92 Custom Cruiser they bought new from my grandpa, who was an Olds dealer. It has a great history, low miles (115K) and a ton of sentimental value, but it's also the size of a Suburban and there's no way it would fit in my garage.

I want it badly, but it's completely impractical in every imaginable way. :smith:

If it matters to you, buy it anyway.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I still can't get over ~100k miles for a 10+ year old beast is "low miles". Try talking to an octogenarian 'merkin metal owner, and you'll find that 100k is at least 60k, if not 80k over its' "trade in date".

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

I still can't get over ~100k miles for a 10+ year old beast is "low miles". Try talking to an octogenarian 'merkin metal owner, and you'll find that 100k is at least 60k, if not 80k over its' "trade in date".

'92 puts it at more like 20+ year old beast, which is pretty low compared to other 22 year old cars.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Tusen Takk posted:

'92 puts it at more like 20+ year old beast, which is pretty low compared to other 22 year old cars.

I didn't really want to detract from my analogy, but 5k/yr would have me a little more worried than a 10k/yr average.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Viggen posted:

I didn't really want to detract from my analogy, but 5k/yr would have me a little more worried than a 10k/yr average.

Fair enough, rotting tubes are a bitch.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Viggen posted:

It's low mileage to a Volvo owner. :haw:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

MonkeyNutZ posted:

people within 1.5 miles of you are goddamn illiterate racists.

At school, or at home?

It's both

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Viggen posted:

They know who they are. :colbert:

You don't have to own a car to like them, to be fair...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I ended up checking out Yik yak since I live across from my Uni and holy lol everyone is so loving thirsty.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Tomarse posted:

I'm sure someone in this thread originally recommended 'next car game' on steam?

The latest update gave it online multiplayer and it is great fun! - 18 player destruction derby :)

Is anybody else playing it?

Damnit. Bought this like three hours ago, and haven't done anything since. Online is shitloads of fun.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fucknag posted:

I was at an air show yesterday. Got horribly sunburned, and now today I've got like... deep muscle aches in my arms (which got the worst of it). I also slept for like 14 hours.

How hosed am I?

Miramar?

Either way, you're hosed. Get some straitch and try to not kill yourself while bathing in aloe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What you really, really want for a sunburn is Solarcaine spray with aloe. Thanks to the lidocaine in it, it's the best thing I've ever used for a sunburn.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iwentdoodie posted:

Miramar?

Either way, you're hosed. Get some straitch and try to not kill yourself while bathing in aloe.

Melbourne, actually. First annual airshow at the international airport (which was still active; they stopped the show periodically to let a smattering of commercial flights land/take off). Thunderbirds performed, and there were some other great aerobatic acts, but the static displays were... well, Grumman was the main sponsor, what awesome new poo poo do they really have aside from the Global Hawk? Miramar looks like it had better poo poo, but that's another few hours away on top of the ~70 minutes each way I already drove. Still, had a good time with my dad.

Anyway I've felt drained as gently caress all day, even with aloe application. I should probably get some more sleep at this point.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

IOwnCalculus posted:

What you really, really want for a sunburn is Solarcaine spray with aloe. Thanks to the lidocaine in it, it's the best thing I've ever used for a sunburn.

Remind me to get some of this. all I have is old-school aloe.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Twin Peaks returns in 2016, this time to Showtime. I hope they film it here in Washington.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Because the people here are far more sane than e/n people....

Is it normal to not hate an ex but still think they are a lovely person? I don't sit around and bad mouth my ex all day every day. Nor do i bring it up in conversation. But I don't care for her either and still think she's a bitch.

Is that normal or am I a poo poo person? Its just a thought I was rolling around in my head.

Edit: I should say that I do forgive them for the most part. Still mad she made off with a few of my favorite t shirts (they were pretty stained up college shirts). I do pity her to a point that her mom rules her life.... But meh. I guess its just a thought I have had in my head. More or less a get off the chest and see what others thought.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 7, 2014

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
It's me. I'm the guy that doesn't own a car.

I just come to the car threads and look longingly at peoples cars, occasionally crying in to my beer.

One day I will live in a country where it makes sense for me to own a car. I do own two motorcycles though, do they count? Neither of them are within 6 time zones of me though.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Backov posted:

It's me. I'm the guy that doesn't own a car.

I just come to the car threads and look longingly at peoples cars, occasionally crying in to my beer.

One day I will live in a country where it makes sense for me to own a car. I do own two motorcycles though, do they count? Neither of them are within 6 time zones of me though.

if you bolt the motorcycles together, they will have four wheels and thus be a car.

Get to it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is it normal to not hate an ex but still think they are a lovely person? I don't sit around and bad mouth my ex all day every day. Nor do i bring it up in conversation. But I don't care for her either and still think she's a bitch.

Is that normal or am I a poo poo person? Its just a thought I was rolling around in my head.

Edit: I should say that I do forgive them for the most part. Still mad she made off with a few of my favorite t shirts (they were pretty stained up college shirts). I do pity her to a point that her mom rules her life.... But meh. I guess its just a thought I have had in my head. More or less a get off the chest and see what others thought.

Can't tell you whether it's normal, but I still don't care much for an ex of mine that cheated on me. Initially I was torn between hating her guts and wanting back what we had so very badly, but these days I'm just really happy she's out of my life. Last time we communicated was when she gave me her once-per-quarter phone call. I was doing great, hanging out with friends, shopping for dinner, and aside from being in a rush I was in a really great mood and I didn't want to let her ruin it, so I kinda cut her off. A few hours later I got a sobbing text saying that if I didn't want her to call could I please let her know and she just wanted to be friends and blah blah. I sent the best email of my life later that night, stating in eight words that I'd prefer if she didn't contact me and that I'd let her know when it was OK to do so again. We haven't communicated since 2008.

It's weird, though, that the people you love the most can end up being the people you despise the most. I wouldn't say I hate her, but I will say that I'd be perfectly happy if I never have to interact with her again ever.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I don't hate any of my exes, hell I still send the odd email to the one that cheated on me because the times before the relationship falls apart were fun and I don't want to regret them.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yik Yak is dope. Of course I live near three colleges so my feed is poppin.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is it normal to not hate an ex but still think they are a lovely person?

Yes, it is normal. There's absolutly nothing wrong with that at all (As long as it's for the right reasons of course)

Just thinking of ex's saw the ex-wife a few weeks ago.. GG we have gone in different directions.And good Lord do we have different views about staying fit (ie, she doesnt and I do)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Twin Peaks returns in 2016, this time to Showtime. I hope they film it here in Washington.

One of the old Twin Peaks sets is now the DirtFish rally school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-IUcuIBu-o

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I'm up for a new cellphone and contract soon. I'll probably ditch Sprint and go with Verizon, as I can get 18% off through my employer. I'll be sticking with the Android platform, but am torn between the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the LG G3. Anyone have any opinions on the matter? Currently using a Galaxy S3.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

angryhampster posted:

I'm up for a new cellphone and contract soon. I'll probably ditch Sprint and go with Verizon, as I can get 18% off through my employer. I'll be sticking with the Android platform, but am torn between the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the LG G3. Anyone have any opinions on the matter? Currently using a Galaxy S3.

Any reason you're not considering the m8?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

No reason at all. I just don't have any experience with HTC electronics and have had great experiences with LG and Samsung both. How does the M8 compare?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Spend 5 minutes in IYG, and you'll be quickly dissuaded from the Samsung. I'm largely pleased with my s4, but am ready to try something non-touchwiz. The G3 was near the top of my list, the m8 is pretty comparable as I recall, but camera is garbage.

Really, the general consensus is you can't REALLY go wrong with any of the flagship phones (m8, g3, etc), they just have different areas of compromise, so see which one best fits you.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yik Yak is dope. Of course I live near three colleges so my feed is poppin.

Yeah but how's that working for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

angryhampster posted:

No reason at all. I just don't have any experience with HTC electronics and have had great experiences with LG and Samsung both. How does the M8 compare?

M8 owner here. Love it. Great phone, fast, no issues so far (had it since release.) Camera is lower megapixel than most, but takes great photos in my opinion, and holy poo poo is it fast to take them. HTC seems to avoid too much of their own poo poo on it, and what they have is fairly tame. I got the Dotview case because I'm a giant nerd, and its pretty cool, but I should have just got an otterbox. Overall, very happy, would buy again.

The wife got an S5, which has also been good. She doesn't care as much about the crap Samsung put on it, so she's happy, but it would make me a little annoyed (samsungs browser, samsungs email, etc.). Its all easy to replace with the Google stuff, but damnit, its Android, it should be Googly by default.

• Locked thread