Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The better case would be for some networking genius figure out how to get a smartphone to transparently move an established connection to a different network interface, without huge timeouts and hangs.

Tech like this exists but I don't think it's ever made it to the point of being an OS level feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

xzzy posted:

The better case would be for some networking genius figure out how to get a smartphone to transparently move an established connection to a different network interface, without huge timeouts and hangs.

Tech like this exists but I don't think it's ever made it to the point of being an OS level feature.

I don't think the actual handoff takes almost any time at all (could be wrong, though). The problem is holding onto one or the other after it has become useless before finally switching.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I lose wifi when I'm walking the dog in the morning.

They need to bring back the ios6 toggle to fall back onto cellular data if wifi hangs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't think the actual handoff takes almost any time at all (could be wrong, though). The problem is holding onto one or the other after it has become useless before finally switching.

Right, switching to the cellular interface is super fast. The issue is with established connections, as a completely different route (with a completely different ip address and subnet) is now available the software basically has to close the old one and establish a new one.. which generally requires a timeout to happen before it can figure out what to do.

If transitioning a connection from one interface to the other was smoother, they could lower the timeouts and the user might never notice the transition.

Unfortunately this isn't trivial with today's software, most of it is incapable of handling when one end of a connection suddenly starts using a completely different IP.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Definitely see the wifi issue on my 6, but minus that pretty satisfied with it and iOS 8. Apple gets that and the third party kb stuff working better, icing on the cake.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

xzzy posted:

You're looking for multipath TCP, which Apple added in iOS 7... But only for Siri. (One problem is the sever needs to support it too, iirc.) I don't think that changed for iOS 8.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So my phone doesn't arrive until November but AT&T is already starting to charge me the $40/month for switching to their new data plan they required me to use with the new phone I don't even have yet. Is there any way I can contest this and tell them to postpone the service until I actually get my phone? Because holy poo poo, AT&T.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Armchair Calvinist posted:

So my phone doesn't arrive until November but AT&T is already starting to charge me the $40/month for switching to their new data plan they required me to use with the new phone I don't even have yet. Is there any way I can contest this and tell them to postpone the service until I actually get my phone? Because holy poo poo, AT&T.

Are you sure that's not your $40 upgrade fee?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Did you try calling them and asking?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, I got the charge a few days ago and I'm handling it today. I have just never heard of such a thing.

Edit: Yep, looks like it's the upgrade fee. So much fine print. It's not even the money at all; I just wish they'd come out and say "it will cost this much" with a breakdown of all the costs. :sigh:

Thanks for the info, guys. :)

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 7, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, it's a phone carrier you're dealing with. Sneaking charges into your bill is kind of their MO.

Remember, AT&T is the company that only let you use one phone on their service and they charged rent for it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
A wipe and reinstall of iTunes, then attempting to restore an iPhone backup still fills it with >40GB of "Other". I've just tried restoring from an iCloud backup but it asked me for the password of some Apple ID tied to a Verizon email address (definitely not even a person from the same country as me!) that I don't recognise in the slightest.
Another attempt from an older backup asks for the password to another email address I don't recognise.

I just want my stuff back without over half my phone being unrecoverable garbage storage. :(

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Usually when you get unknown Apple ID prompts when restoring from backup, it's from some music that was pirated.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Yeah, I got the charge a few days ago and I'm handling it today. I have just never heard of such a thing.

Edit: Yep, looks like it's the upgrade fee. So much fine print. It's not even the money at all; I just wish they'd come out and say "it will cost this much" with a breakdown of all the costs. :sigh:

Thanks for the info, guys. :)

You can get those wiped out, too. I went on their online chat yesterday an with minimal effort they removed the two $40 upgrade fees for the two new iPhone 6s we bought.

I just said something like we've been paying $175/month for like a decade and that should cover any upgrade fees, etc. Just be nice about it and you can probably get it dropped.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

1997 posted:

Usually when you get unknown Apple ID prompts when restoring from backup, it's from some music that was pirated.
I'm not quite sure how that would work? I restored in iTunes with an 8.0.2 ipsw which I assume would totally wipe everything on the phone. Then I tried restoring from iCloud backups which wouldn't back up any of my music, and it hadn't had an iTunes music sync attempt at that stage.

Even if it had been syncing music, why would an mp3 file be able to change what iCloud account the settings restore wants to come from?

edit: Unrelated, but I hate how I lose all my Health data for every time I have to restore my phone.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 7, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

Right, switching to the cellular interface is super fast. The issue is with established connections, as a completely different route (with a completely different ip address and subnet) is now available the software basically has to close the old one and establish a new one.. which generally requires a timeout to happen before it can figure out what to do.

If transitioning a connection from one interface to the other was smoother, they could lower the timeouts and the user might never notice the transition.

Unfortunately this isn't trivial with today's software, most of it is incapable of handling when one end of a connection suddenly starts using a completely different IP.

IPv6 will save us!

Seriously, roaming to a new IPv4 network is what kills all the active sessions, not the speed of the transition. Any existing session states have to be torn down because they're no longer valid. Even if, by some miracle of coding, the apps on the phone could transition *their* session state the server would kill it anyway (Hey! Your not the one who asked for this information earlier, you have a different IP you session hi-jacker you). If you could do this, session hi-jacking would become trivial instead of not-so-hard like it is today. That's for sessions in general.

It *can* be done, look at the hand-off feature for calls with the iPhone/iPad/Yosemite, but as xzzy said there is no quick and easy way to implement it. It also helps that Apple's hand-off a local network service and doesn't have to wander all over the internet to initiate. I don't know software development from a systems design level, but I do know network services and how to break them in ways I can take advantage. And if it's half-assed, then I or others in my field or even others with far more nefarious motivations will bend it to our will. The trade-off in investment and risk is just not worth it for most companies.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Raffles posted:

I'm having an issue with my iPhone 6. Very occasionally it will act as if the volume up button is constantly being pressed. The volume is stuck at max and the volume icon that covers the middle of the screen is constant. Turning on and off fixes it.

Has anyone else run into this? Is it likely software or hardware related.

Most likely culprit is a dust bunny in your headphone port.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aha, I knew it. The Genius Bar figured out the thing that looked like a chip in the glass was actually a chip on the underside of the glass or a scratch on the digitizer. Too bad they didn't have any replacement phones in the store, though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
On IOS7/8 is there a way to get to control center (or at least some way of controlling the currently playing music) other than to swipe up from bottom twice?

Also, is it still possible to use a fake carrier profile to get rid of the carrier name in the title bar? Unfortunately I'm on "vodafoneAU" :smith:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uh, you should only have to swipe up once.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Uh, you should only have to swipe up once.

It's super fidgety though, I usually have to swipe 2-3 times before it works. If there's a keyboard up it never works.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

If the app has gone "full screen" where it hides the status bar (most games) you have to swipe twice, once to bring up a little arrow and the second time to show control center. For what it's worth, it only takes one swipe from the app switcher screen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is my camera defective? Check out the spot and halo above the street lamp:

Here it is on either side of a street lamp as I rotated the camera:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 8, 2014

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You don't have any smudges or anything on the lens do you?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Pretty sure that's just a common flare.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Variable_H posted:

You don't have any smudges or anything on the lens do you?
I wiped the lens with a clean cloth right before taking the pics.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Pretty sure that's just a common flare.
Would anyone be kind enough to take a lamp/light/moon shot in the dark for comparison?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Would anyone be kind enough to take a lamp/light/moon shot in the dark for comparison?
You can see the two small flares off to the right.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

dutchbstrd posted:

You can get those wiped out, too. I went on their online chat yesterday an with minimal effort they removed the two $40 upgrade fees for the two new iPhone 6s we bought.

I just said something like we've been paying $175/month for like a decade and that should cover any upgrade fees, etc. Just be nice about it and you can probably get it dropped.

Yeah I did that when I got my iphone 5. Definitely going to give it a go when I upgrade to the 6. If you've been a customer for a while they should just credit your next bill $40 if you ask nicely through chat

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

carry on then posted:

If the app has gone "full screen" where it hides the status bar (most games) you have to swipe twice, once to bring up a little arrow and the second time to show control center. For what it's worth, it only takes one swipe from the app switcher screen.

Thanks, that's probably a more reliable way of doing it and practically the same as the IOS6 action then.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm so loving sick and tired of my notifications not loving off by themselves and especially not budging when I flick them up. So god drat annoying.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

dutchbstrd posted:

Definitely doing this tomorrow. Thanks for the tip! :)

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
For anyone on the fence about getting a case or not: https://medium.com/message/welcome-to-iphone-6-friend-c36b5429ea88

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
If they didn't want people to put it in a case they should have made it durable and waterproof. :can:

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Selklubber posted:

If they didn't want people to put it in a case they should have made it durable and waterproof. :can:

Haha, yeah, I can definitely see the reason for getting a case, not meaning to stir up anything.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
The Apple leather case is fantastic and really doesn't take away much from the feel of the phone. And it's leather, so, take that!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Of all the HealthKit enabled fitness wristbands, which is the best (or is good and also cheap) for sleep tracking and waking me up at good periods of my sleep cycle? I don't really need to track steps any more accurately than the iPhone's built in tracker and heart rate tracking isn't a huge priority during exercise so I don't know if I need to go all out on a Jawbone UP24. I just want something that can help me with a good night's sleep and let me see that stuff later on in Health.

I know there's apps out there that can work stuff out based on keeping your phone under your pillow, but I like keeping my phone in a dock and wouldn't trust myself not to launch my phone out of the bed in my sleep, as I tend to find pillows all over the floor a lot when I wake up!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What bands are tied to HealthKit? Fitbit has said they have zero plans to touch it.

I did notice the Panera app now hooks to HealthKit -- if you order a meal online, it offers to automatically copy calorie counts into HealthKit.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
That seems like a really bizarre choice for them to not support HealthKit. I know the Jawbone app supports it at least.

I suppose I wouldn't be entirely averse to a "pillow" app if there's a good one that goons can recommend definitely helps with sleep?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Question Mark Mound posted:

That seems like a really bizarre choice for them to not support HealthKit. I know the Jawbone app supports it at least.

Fitbit does slurp step counts from the motion tracker chips in the phone. It sounds like they've realized everyone and their brother has a step counter in the devices now and it's nothing special. They seem to be making a play for the data management side of things, since they have the $50 premium service.

However, if someone were to make a HealthKit app that would let you export your step count/activity data, and do a fitness plan ("you burned 900 calories/day on activity this week, do 950 next week"), then Fitbit has basically nothing going for it other than the social aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where's the value motivating a company to support HealthKit? If they already record every bit of data they're interested in into their own app, tying into the health database only subjects them to the shifting whims of Apple.

Unless Apple starts rejecting apps for not using the database I really don't see what value developers will find with the interface.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I suppose I wouldn't be entirely averse to a "pillow" app if there's a good one that goons can recommend definitely helps with sleep?

"Definitely" is a hard requirement to satisfy, but I still use Sleep Cycle and it's a very nice alarm clock. To avoid waking up with the phone on the floor I stuff my phone under the sheets.