Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey guys! Brand new to the thread and game! Bought my first box and I hope you all don't mind if in the next couple of weeks I bombard this thread with basic questions and such. I'm really enjoying the game so far and I even played in a draft last night. Everyone was experienced, but I just told them that it was literally my fifth time playing and my opponents were really helpful and patient :3: I have a couple friends who I will be playing with casually and I'm lucky enough to live close to at least 3 or 4 really good venues that play multiple times a week. So, hi magic goons! :)

Get out while you can!

Just kidding, this game is awesome, but your wallet might hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Entropic posted:

I would love to see the fallout if he gets suspended or something for unsporting conduct. Burgergate! :munch:

He didn't call out anyone specifically or take photos with the intent to shame. The only person that could reasonably be insulted is the TO and griping about TO practices is something I'd like every magic player to be able to do without risking their prizes/invites.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Madmarker posted:

Thats a bit of a unfair comparison, Rabble Red came about thanks to M15, Mono-black devotion was a thing before m15 came out, m15 brought about a whole new meta. Yes it was a good metagame call, and certainly influenced by Moboblack's previous dominance, but Rabblemaster wasn't even printed for most of monoblack's reign.

Yes, knowing the meta gives an experienced player the ability to tool their deck to handle the expected decks they will play against, but, with how much tournament grinding a reporting there is now, good decks rise to well known and "netdeck" status and are tuned to handle most sideboard hate far faster and more powerfully than the vast majority of even good homebrews can handle.

Yes playing an unknown deck gives in sideboarding versus a known quantity, but more often than not that advantage is paltry in comparison to the advantage playing an otherwise good and known deck grants through its power level and synergy.

I would not be surprised if he is suspended for unsporting conduct or something similar.

I don't really play "unknown decks" but I do take a stock list and try to tune it a little bit for the meta. Like I was playing Rabble Red with a white splash last standard and I was pretty much playing the RW control list that made top 8 in Edison with some minor tweaks last night.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Molybdenum posted:

He didn't call out anyone specifically or take photos with the intent to shame. The only person that could reasonably be insulted is the TO and griping about TO practices is something I'd like every magic player to be able to do without risking their prizes/invites.

He's a classic "bad guy with legitimate point"

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Seymour Butts posted:

Hey guys! Brand new to the thread and game! Bought my first box and I hope you all don't mind if in the next couple of weeks I bombard this thread with basic questions and such. I'm really enjoying the game so far and I even played in a draft last night. Everyone was experienced, but I just told them that it was literally my fifth time playing and my opponents were really helpful and patient :3: I have a couple friends who I will be playing with casually and I'm lucky enough to live close to at least 3 or 4 really good venues that play multiple times a week. So, hi magic goons! :)
oh man i missed this post
First rule of managing your money well with Magic: Do not buy boxes.
Second rule of managing your money well with Magic: Do NOT buy boxes!

Really though if you have enough friends buying a box for drafting is fine, especially if you split the costs between all 8 people (around 12-13 bux each person).

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Lord Of Texas posted:

He's a classic "bad guy with legitimate point"

What's his legitimate point though? That Americans are fat? He's complaining on facebook about the free food provided to him, food that was probably paid for by the store or the TO. He shouldn't be punished but now at least everyone will know he's a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

neetengie posted:

oh man i missed this post
First rule of managing your money well with Magic: Do not buy boxes.
Second rule of managing your money well with Magic: Do NOT buy boxes!

Really though if you have enough friends buying a box for drafting is fine, especially if you split the costs between all 8 people (around 12-13 bux each person).

It is true. I almost gave in yesterday, it was so close. Then I realized that patience is a virtue and my money is valuable. My GR monsters deck will be fine without 2 sarkhans for another month or so.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Just win boxes, problem solved!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Personally I think only good can come out of chiding Magic players to not be sedentary fatasses.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

And what happened when MonoB started to dominate the meta? Rabble red smashed their face in. If you know the meta, you should be able to beat it. (Not that i'm a good enough player to be able to do that reliability.)

I think the only matchup that beats jeskai on a good % is abzan in my playtesting. Sorin and rhino are things jeskai has to have an answer to immediately. The only things that seem to deal with sorin and rhino reliably are disdainful stroke and Fated conflagration in a single card. Even if answers are found immediately those cards hitting the board put azban in a good spot.

Jeskai seems to be a hard deck to sideboard against though for the most part. Whats the best sideboard card? Ram? Deflecting palm?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sickening posted:

Jeskai seems to be a hard deck to sideboard against though for the most part. Whats the best sideboard card? Ram? Deflecting palm?

Death frenzy, maybe? I forgot that card existed until I drafted it last weekend. It spares most Abzan cards and hits a lot of threats out of Jeskai. Their mantis rider lives, but the life gain may not be irrelevant.

I dunno, maybe drown in sorrow is much better, I'm just spitballing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I think the only matchup that beats jeskai on a good % is abzan in my playtesting. Sorin and rhino are things jeskai has to have an answer to immediately. The only things that seem to deal with sorin and rhino reliably are disdainful stroke and Fated conflagration in a single card. Even if answers are found immediately those cards hitting the board put azban in a good spot.

Have you tried RW walkers?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Boxman posted:

Death frenzy, maybe? I forgot that card existed until I drafted it last weekend. It spares most Abzan cards and hits a lot of threats out of Jeskai. Their mantis rider lives, but the life gain may not be irrelevant.

I dunno, maybe drown in sorrow is much better, I'm just spitballing.

Play Gb Devotion and play both in the same turn :getin:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LMAO Glittering Wish is 18 bucks low on TCG player. It was 1.95 a week ago.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I got a set for trade :getin:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Have you tried RW walkers?

No, seems too janky. I am currently playing jeskai. :getin:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

No, seems too janky. I am currently playing jeskai. :getin:

It's very similar to Jeskai... You just get more removal and are much stronger vs black aggro and you're also sitting back a lot more early game. You also have Rabblemaster instead of Mantis rider as a t3 play which i think is just better. And you don't have jeskai charm or permission out of the board. You also get to play 4x Anger of the Gods mainboard which is very strong in this format.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

mcmagic posted:

And it will swiftly drop back to 1.95 when ascendancy is banned.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Yup

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's very similar to Jeskai... You just get more removal and are much stronger vs black aggro and you're also sitting back a lot more early game. You also have Rabblemaster instead of Mantis rider as a t3 play which i think is just better. And you don't have jeskai charm or permission out of the board. You also get to play 4x Anger of the Gods mainboard which is very strong in this format.

Mono black aggro is not going to be a very successful deck in this format unfortunately unless something drastically shifts. Gearing a deck that is going to be strong against it doesn't really make much sense. Mantis rider and rabblemaster are both strong turn 3 plays and each is stronger depending what you are playing against. The difference overall between the two is debatable strength wise but rabblemaster is definitely sideboarded out a lot more than mantis is in my playtesting.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Good, I need some copies for a jank build of 4C Gifts.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Due to price memory it will stick at $5 even though it's not actually playable in any other deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

DAMMIT! :argh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Mono black aggro is not going to be a very successful deck in this format unfortunately unless something drastically shifts. Gearing a deck that is going to be strong against it doesn't really make much sense. Mantis rider and rabblemaster are both strong turn 3 plays and each is stronger depending what you are playing against. The difference overall between the two is debatable strength wise but rabblemaster is definitely sideboarded out a lot more than mantis is in my playtesting.

I've just boarded it out against aggro decks... Which, granted, Rider is better against. But I feel like thats my best matchup playing RW anyway.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't think aggro is particularly good at all in this format. The closest I think that's actually good is that Jeskai hybrid deck.

I mean, I've played a few Sligh decks that seemed like they had something interesting going....until I played Circle of Flame out of the sideboard and that was that.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think aggro is particularly good at all in this format. The closest I think that's actually good is that Jeskai hybrid deck.

I mean, I've played a few Sligh decks that seemed like they had something interesting going....until I played Circle of Flame out of the sideboard and that was that.

Yeah, aggro is done for now, I mean everything is a midrange deck of one variety or another at this point, since creatures are awesome and removal sucks. If removal was better, there would be more pressure to play a low cost aggro deck, since answering those threats 1-for-1 is a losing proposition. Personally, I am a control player at heart, as in elixir.dec, I am hopeful that the protour comes up with some awesome UW control build I can crib from, or at the very least an awesome Sultai build.

If control becomes a real thing 1 drop aggro in the vein of monored or monoblack has a chance at a resurgence since those strategies tend to be pretty good against hard control.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Y'all are nuts, black and red aggro decks are still very good, though I think black is better right now. Black has a good removal suite and good sideboard options, and all the popular 3 color decks open fairly slow due to taplands. I havent been able to play against jeskai tempo locally, but I probably have a 60-70% winrate against my local meta, which is mosty netdecked abzan midranges, monogreens, and a few sultai control. Jeskai tempo seems like it would be a rough matchup though.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Angry Grimace posted:

I really like turning poo poo sideways and I have 90% of the deck already so I am going to play Mono B aggro for a few weeks and hopefully tear through some jank but with azbans cards I don't expect it to last too long.

Also that burgergate dude is a complete douche bag and should take a year or two out of the game to practice not being an rear end in a top hat.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
My Abzan midrange is testing out 4x Reaper and 4x Rhino ... cause of the big 5 toughness. It takes a lot to get through that, and the Hexproof on a Reaper means it can't be dropped after blocking by a spell reliably.

I don't know how it will actually fair, but I am trying them instead of something else in that slot that may be cheaper, or with better evasion.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Y'all are nuts, black and red aggro decks are still very good, though I think black is better right now. Black has a good removal suite and good sideboard options, and all the popular 3 color decks open fairly slow due to taplands. I havent been able to play against jeskai tempo locally, but I probably have a 60-70% winrate against my local meta, which is mosty netdecked abzan midranges, monogreens, and a few sultai control. Jeskai tempo seems like it would be a rough matchup though.

It is good, but there are a lot of easy answers for the green midrange decks to splash. Green midrange is usually paired with black or red. Both colors right now have the premium anti-aggro sweepers. I've been smacked around by black aggro, but I've also given it an absolute beating. Really depends on the draws. I've been working on my GR monsters board, right now I'm going 3 crater's claws maindeck, 2 setessan tactics 3 arc lightning as sideboard. Tactics is a fun card against aggro, it is usually at least a 2 for 1 if not better with caryatid and courser happily punching out most of their dudes.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I've come back to MTGO after quitting slightly before Theros and holy poo poo the new client is still so slow. That's the only way to play now, right?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jassi007 posted:

It is good, but there are a lot of easy answers for the green midrange decks to splash. Green midrange is usually paired with black or red. Both colors right now have the premium anti-aggro sweepers. I've been smacked around by black aggro, but I've also given it an absolute beating. Really depends on the draws. I've been working on my GR monsters board, right now I'm going 3 crater's claws maindeck, 2 setessan tactics 3 arc lightning as sideboard. Tactics is a fun card against aggro, it is usually at least a 2 for 1 if not better with caryatid and courser happily punching out most of their dudes.

This is all true, and I think the G/x matchups are pretty dependant on hitting answers on time for both sides. I don't think it's accurate for people to say that aggro is suddenly bad though. It's a fun and fast deck that got a few really fun new sideboard cards, and is way more affordable for players who cant buy in to the new manabases.

That said, I will be trying a mardu walkers control deck this week that currently costs more than any of my modern decks. Standard can be pretty stupid.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is all true, and I think the G/x matchups are pretty dependant on hitting answers on time for both sides. I don't think it's accurate for people to say that aggro is suddenly bad though. It's a fun and fast deck that got a few really fun new sideboard cards, and is way more affordable for players who cant buy in to the new manabases.

That said, I will be trying a mardu walkers control deck this week that currently costs more than any of my modern decks. Standard can be pretty stupid.

I mean doesn't new standard hype always do this?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I'm not saying that ALL aggro is bad, just that in the current meta it does't appear to have the necessary tools and is a huge dog against a deck that packs cheap removal and a 3/3 with vigilance and evasion as well as a dog against a deck with 2 mana 0/3's 3 mana 2/4's that gain life and 4 mana 4/5's that gain life. I am sure there is an appropriate aggro build out there, but at this point both monoblack and red are decidedly tier 2 compared to the top dogs of the format. Especially since both those decks have access to 3 mana sweepers that reset only the aggro decks board. An aggro deck may exist that can fight through it, but it really hasn't been found yet, and I am waiting for the pro tour to tell me what decks are actually going to be good going forward.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

I mean doesn't new standard hype always do this?

Yeah I guess, just feels worse this year than it did last year I guess. So many nonbasics that it seems hard/expensive to try a new deck of you weren't prepared.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yeah I guess, just feels worse this year than it did last year I guess. So many nonbasics that it seems hard/expensive to try a new deck of you weren't prepared.

The mardu "play good stuff" deck is pretty expensive and was something I was putting together when khans was being spoiled until the jeskai build came around.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
36 creature decks, devoting out hydras for 10+, 8+ 5cmc Sarkhan/Dragon decks, main deck Doomwake Giants...

How inbred will the big-game decks get before blue makes an appearance in standard to punish all this? I haven't seen a meta like this in forever.

e: Not to say it's a problem, just a unique set of circumstances right now I suppose.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You've just described the thragtusk-angel standard from a couple years ago. This is what happens when wizards only wants good creatures that aren't easily killed. And yet they will do so because of the feel bad of counters and kill spells.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think we're really feeling the lack of Doom Blade / Ultimate Price right now. If you want unconditional removal it costs 3 color-intensive mana now, and that's a huge difference from 1B. That and Supreme Verdict obviously. Bumping up how much 1-for-1 removal and board wipes cost by 1 mana makes a ton of difference to how the first 5 turns plays out in any given matchup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

You've just described the thragtusk-angel standard from a couple years ago. This is what happens when wizards only wants good creatures that aren't easily killed. And yet they will do so because of the feel bad of counters and kill spells.

God I hated that format. Creature-based midrange is by far my least favorite archetype to play with or against. I would rather play against pre-banning modern Eggs than another drat deck that blinked thragtusk or acidic slime with restoration angel.

• Locked thread