Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

TheTrend posted:

This was a really good post thank you.

zhe lisped nasally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

advanced statsman posted:

zhe lisped nasally

No I'm serious I got a good laugh out of it, was thanking him.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

I'll call off my attack dogs

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

dkj posted:

The games in loving Connecticut for some reason though.

Because we do a loving fantastic job with all the fan stuff, even in the face of the stupidity that is Rentschler management (but they're starting to get it...this being our 5th or 6th national team game since 09).

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

quote:

GOALKEEPERS (3) : Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7) : John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton)

MIDFIELDERS (7) : Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Brek Shea (Stoke City)

FORWARDS (5) : Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund II), Jordan Morris (Stanford University), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)

U.S. MNT ROSTER NOTES

Sunderland striker Jozy Altidore is the leading capwinner on the roster with 71 appearances. The next closest is FC Nantes midfielder Alejandro Bedoya, who has earned 32 caps.

World Cup goalkeepers Brad Guzan and Nick Rimando are headed to the Czech Republic, each sporting impressive records in a National Team uniform. Guzan has recorded nine shutouts in 17 career starts, with six of those clean sheets earned in World Cup qualifiers. Rimando has never lost a game for the Senior National Team, posting a near-perfect 10-0-1 record.

Timmy Chandler and Fabian Johnson enter camp having started the season with new Bundesliga clubs. Chandler moved from Nurnberg to his hometown club Eintracht Frankfurt, while Fabian Johnson ended a successful spell at Hoffenheim with a jump to Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Joe Corona made the 30-man preliminary roster for the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Four players on the roster are based in North America: Rimando - who is the sole representative of MLS – Club Tijuana teammates Corona and Greg Garza, and Puebla defender Michael Orozco.

Ingolstadt midfielder Alfredo Morales has helped his side to a solid start, appearing in the first XI in all three games and scoring the opening goal of the campaign. Born in Germany to Peruvian parents, he has been deployed as a holding midfielder and also in defense.

1860 Munich striker Bobby Wood has started all three matches to start the 2. Bundesliga season. The 21-year-old native of Hawaii and former Irvine Strikers forward made his Senior National Team debut in the 4-3 win against Bosnia-Herzegovina in 2013.

There are four U.S. Soccer Development Academy alumni on the roster: Corona, Joe Gyau, Emerson Hyndman and Jordan Morris.

Morris, who scored the game-winner for the U-23 MNT against Bahamas last month, was named the 2012-13 Development Academy Player of the Year for the U-17/18 age group while playing for the Seattle Sounders FC Academy. He is the first active college player to be included on a roster under Klinsmann.

Rubio Rubin signed with Utrecht in July. The U-17 Residency alum was voted the 2012 U.S. Soccer Youth Male Athlete of the Year.

Gyau spent three semesters in the U-17 Residency program. His father Philip earned six caps with the U.S. MNT from 1989-91.

Southampton goalkeeper Cody Cropper started all three matches for the U.S. at the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey. Cropper participated in the MNT training camp in Stanford ahead of the team’s departure for the World Cup in Brazil.

Emerson Hyndman is the youngest player on the roster, the 18-year-old having begun the League Championship campaign as a starter for Fulham. The grandson of former FC Dallas head coach Schellas Hyndman was a part of the U-17 Men’s National Team and signed his first contract with Fulham in 2013, scoring three goals in its run to the FA Youth Cup final.

If Morris plays on Wednesday, he'd be the first collegiate player capped since ... gently caress, 1990? I dunno

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Because we do a loving fantastic job with all the fan stuff, even in the face of the stupidity that is Rentschler management (but they're starting to get it...this being our 5th or 6th national team game since 09).

Got any insight into the tifo plans?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Good to see Gyau and Wood getting a chance, plus the other first timers (a college guy? that's how bad our striker situation is?)

Also, glad to see Brek Shea hasn't died.

edit: Emerson Hyndman is 5'7", 135 lbs. That's a little dude.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Got any insight into the tifo plans?

I know exactly what we're doing. We are in the process of finding a big enough space to paint it. It is LD related is all I'll say.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Sorry to move the discussion away from tifo but the USMNT's long term plan of getting athletic as hell is right on schedule.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/four-star-wide-receiver-recruit-chooses-soccer-over-foo-1634042395/+billyhaisley

http://247sports.com/Article/Four-star-recruit-opts-for-soccer-31095515

Nice to see a VA kid do this, imagine if Allen Iverson had decided to play soccer instead of basketball and bowling, him and Beckerman all dreaded up holding the WC trophy....drat

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
If anyone wants a USMNT home kit, they are 30 bucks at World Soccer Shop right now. Go to WSS, add a home kit to cart, discounts to 67% off. Enjoy!

Got a Brad Davis kit shipped for 43 bucks.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Reek posted:

If anyone wants a USMNT home kit, they are 30 bucks at World Soccer Shop right now. Go to WSS, add a home kit to cart, discounts to 67% off. Enjoy!

Got one. loving stoked.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Reek posted:

Why did you do this

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I thought about getting Megan Rapinoe but perhaps I'll save that for the inevitable offcycle third shirt Nike will release early next year

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Reek posted:

Ah jeez I'm two weeks late on this. $30 for an authentic? That's robbery.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

quote:

Instead, he's decided to quit football and focus on soccer in hopes of maybe being the next Jozy Altidore.

Yeah good plan there idiot

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Parity warning posted:

Yeah good plan there idiot

OTOH, I'm sure Jozy has been making good coin to be poo poo in Europe. Not NFL money mind you, but that's always a crapshoot regardless.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Roster for Donovan's sendoff Friday vs. Ecuador. Expect some changes prior to the Honduras match next Tuesday

quote:

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Julian Green (Hamburg), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt)
FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)

Yep, an NASL guy got called up.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Real Name Grover posted:

Roster for Donovan's sendoff Friday vs. Ecuador. Expect some changes prior to the Honduras match next Tuesday

Yep, an NASL guy got called up.

He deserves it. He has been on freaking fire the past month. What a great shout out to NASL, makes me proud of our cool league.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
No sarcasm implied there. I've seen some of his highlights; he looks pretty good and MLS will probably come calling at some point.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Im excited to see more Julian Green. he is such a dreamboat :allears:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Love the fact most of those guys aren't playing for their teams in Europe. It's nice to know our coach is still as full of poo poo as always.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Love the fact most of those guys aren't playing for their teams in Europe. It's nice to know our coach is still as full of poo poo as always.

You don't like having Gonzo called up during a crucial end of the season game?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

The alternative(s) being? Blame MLS for scheduling matches during an international window

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Real Name Grover posted:

No sarcasm implied there. I've seen some of his highlights; he looks pretty good and MLS will probably come calling at some point.

He was drafted by the Timbers in one of the multitude of drafts the MLS has when John Spencer was still coaching here. Obviously he didn't stick.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

SeaTard posted:

You don't like having Gonzo called up during a crucial end of the season game?

Not even worried about that. That one is on MLS. It's just Klinsi telling people that unless they are playing for their clubs, they won't get call-ups, and yet here we are again with dudes riding pine in Europe getting called up.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Not even worried about that. That one is on MLS. It's just Klinsi telling people that unless they are playing for their clubs, they won't get call-ups, and yet here we are again with dudes riding pine in Europe getting called up.

Its a meaningless friendly who gives a hell

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

well European teams are "clubs" but MLS ones are "franchises" so the boys overseas are doing more playing for clubs than the starters back home, QED and Michael Bradley is a pussy

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Pretty stoked that Miguel Ibarra, who has played with Minnesota for the past 3 seasons, has achieved a call up to the USMNT.
It's amazing to think that this was a dude who 2 seasons ago was playing for pennies on a league owned team that was about to fold.
We would get beers (supporters group and team) after games. He and about 3 other dudes on the squad lived together.
He bought a fan's Mitsubishi Lancer when he moved to Minnesota.

He was always good, but now that United has really elevated he's able to demonstrate his skill set so much more.
I really hope he gets the opportunity to play.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Are you going to be mad about Landon Donovan for the rest of your life do you think

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Popero posted:

Are you going to be mad about Landon Donovan for the rest of your life do you think

the unthinking reverence that some fans have for LD is hilarious. He was a good player in his prime and everyone recognizes this, they can chill. You'd think he was zidane with some of the saltiness over his exclusion from the WC roster.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
To be fair, the person taking Landon's place was Wondo.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

420DD Butts posted:

the unthinking reverence that some fans have for LD is hilarious. He was a good player in his prime and everyone recognizes this, they can chill. You'd think he was zidane with some of the saltiness over his exclusion from the WC roster.

Well he was namechecked in Zinedine Zidane Superstar.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
It is entirely possible to believe "Landy isn't what he once was" and "Landy is still better than most of our attacking options" at the same time.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
isn't donovan a fat and jealous turd with no skills left anymore? do people really want him to keep playing?

-advanced statsman

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

advanced statsman posted:

isn't donovan a fat and jealous turd with no skills left anymore? do people really want him to keep playing?

-advanced statsman

Don't sign your posts

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

To be fair, the person taking Landon's place was Wondo.

pretty much this. it's not that Landycakes didn't go, it was who Klinsmann sent in his place.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

much like hitler, Klinsmann did nothing wrong.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

the escape goat posted:

pretty much this. it's not that Landycakes didn't go, it was who Klinsmann sent in his place.

Yes they should have sent a shorter, fatter, slower and more cucked-out version of Wondo with an attitude problem.

USA did way better than expected, what more do you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

USA did way better than expected, what more do you want?

To never see Jozy in a USA jersey again.

• Locked thread