Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Babe Magnet posted:

Forrest Gump is my favorite Stephen King book

Under the arc-sodiums, white half-moons pressed into his palms, was the last time Forrest ever saw Jenny again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Under the arc-sodiums, white half-moons pressed into his palms, was the last time Forrest ever saw Jenny again.

He could call a chapter of the book The Long Run.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Murphys Law posted:

He could call a chapter of the book The Long Run.

Well Gump WAS The Running Man.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

juliuspringle posted:

Well Gump WAS The Running Man.

And a magic retard. Sorry for the Gump rant/derail. I honestly thought I was in a different thread.

On topic, I just got Lisey's Story from the library and have heard bad things about it. Then again, I liked Gerald's Game, Rose Madder and a few others that seem to be universally loathed so maybe it'll be OK.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The best thing about the next King adaptation is people are just going to go "Well it's not as bad as Under the Dome", because how can they get worse than that?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bobjr posted:

The best thing about the next King adaptation is people are just going to go "Well it's not as bad as Under the Dome", because how can they get worse than that?

they could hire mick garris again

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

corn in the bible posted:

they could hire mick garris again

Gopher Boy!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If I wasn't really into the gunslinger, should I continue reading the dark tower series? There were its moments, but for the most part it didn't really move me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

joepinetree posted:

If I wasn't really into the gunslinger, should I continue reading the dark tower series? There were its moments, but for the most part it didn't really move me.

If you don't want to find out about how Clint Eastwood and Jesse Pinkman rescue a raccoon don't read the Dark Tower series.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

joepinetree posted:

I wasn't a big fan of gunslinger until I had finished the series and reread it. Even then, it is still pretty short and certainly not my favorite. I'd say give it until the second, preferably the third book before totally giving up. The second book is when things really start to happen and has some great parts in it. That said, there were parts where it dragged - the parts with Detta and Jack Mort in particular were pretty boring. I think this is common with a lot of King's books though - you'll get a bunch of action, and then 10 chapters of flashback or jumping into another character's story. Some people like that, some don't. The third book is by far my favorite, and has some of the more memorable parts of the whole series. It does end on an annoying cliffhanger, but fortunately I had started reading when all the books were done, so I didn't have to wait forever to find out what happened.

The fourth I think you'll find a lot of different opinions on. It is long, but I enjoyed it, even though it didn't really advance the plot much at all. Books 5 and 6 were definitely not my favorites either (especially the Calla-speak introduced in 5...so many "do ya"s and "say thankya"s and all that "bigbig" stuff). I liked most of the seventh, and at the end, even though I had my doubts earlier, I was glad I got through the books I didn't really like at the time.

So basically yes, I think you should keep going and try to finish it. For me every book gets even better each time I reread it.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

If they make some Dark Tower movies they need to cast Clint Eastwood (they could de-age him with cgi) and Aaron Paul.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They need to do it quickly, though, so they can nab Jaime Sherridan to reprise his role as Flagg :v:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

And a magic retard. Sorry for the Gump rant/derail. I honestly thought I was in a different thread.

On topic, I just got Lisey's Story from the library and have heard bad things about it. Then again, I liked Gerald's Game, Rose Madder and a few others that seem to be universally loathed so maybe it'll be OK.

Lisey's Story is...really odd. It's clearly a really personal book for King but I am not sure anyone fully understands it but him. It's another of the first post-van books and, like Dreamcatcher, it's kind of raw but certainly interesting for what it shows about King's mental state during this weird highly traumatic period of his career.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please don't read Lisey's Story.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I can't wait for the inevitable Mick Garris adaptation of Doctor Sleep.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jenny then left Greenbow, Alabama with no premonition that she would never return.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's about...

That's what it's designed to be about, but it's too manipulative about it to be classified as anything more than wistful, dewey-eyed dreck to me.

EDIT: Wanna know the ironic part? You know how the the staff are supposed to engage you in trivia contests at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co? When we went, a friend started that and I beat the guy (answering his "what was Jenny's stage name?" with "Bobbi Dylan. What was she playing?"). I hate that movie and yet it's so drat ubiquitous I have it drat near memorized.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 26, 2014

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I always thought it was well known that Forest Gump was seen as politically less than sound. The movie pertains to be about one thing, in regards to Gump himself, but then basically treats Jenny with disdain. Jenny decides to not conform to standards and think for herself, and she's treated to childhood abuse, drug addiction and eventually aids.

Tarantino told Zemeckis at the Oscars that it was one the best black comedies he saw and Zemeckis replied "Finally, someone gets it!"

Anyway, King, what a guy.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

LitReactor has a great essay today with a really good synopsis/analysis of Pet Sematary. The broader discussion is about why a remake of the movie should be set in the 80s rather than updated to present day, but the author gives some excellent background on the source material.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I watched Bag of Bones on Netflix and holy hell was this a terrible boring movie with a boring plot. Something about the main character being a writer with writer's block that gives his publisher a 'trunk novel' that he thinks is a piece of trash makes me think that King wrote this book with his tongue in his cheek.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Doltos posted:

I watched Bag of Bones on Netflix and holy hell was this a terrible boring movie with a boring plot. Something about the main character being a writer with writer's block that gives his publisher a 'trunk novel' that he thinks is a piece of trash makes me think that King wrote this book with his tongue in his cheek.

The miniseries takes the worst parts of the book and adds even worse stuff to it, so it's not really a judge of the source.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the Dolores Claiborne movie is pretty bitchin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B4v2-lLuHE

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Jenny decides to not conform to standards

Forrest effectively drops out of society for three years to run across the country for no discernible reason.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

the Dolores Claiborne movie is pretty bitchin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B4v2-lLuHE

Has anyone seen this? It actually looks like it might be worth watching.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ProfessorProf posted:

It is worth watching for sure.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ProfessorProf posted:

It's a good movie. I've never read the book.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

It's a good movie. I've never read the book.

I've read it and watched it. Because the crucial events of the story happen in the summer I thought of it as being summery but the movie is set in a much colder, darker Maine. Also, great cast.

Would recommend both.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The eclipse sequence is really good. Movie has a great score, also.

Of all the King stories its probably one of the more filmable ones, since I don't think there's any significant supernatural influence even in the book's version of the story.

King's supernatural monsters are all terrible to film.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's nothing supernatural to Dolores Clairborne, beyond the vision which ties it to Gerald's Game for absolutely no reason.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

There's nothing supernatural to Dolores Clairborne, beyond the vision which ties it to Gerald's Game for absolutely no reason.

Eclipses and getting molestered by their dads (or someone) too I think. For things that tie it to GG I mean.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Doesn't the vision and the eclipse also tie to bag of bones?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Doesn't the vision and the eclipse also tie to bag of bones?

I don't know (I may have actually never have read that) I just remember hearing that it was like light and dark, sun and moon, Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

Eclipses and getting molestered by their dads (or someone) too I think. For things that tie it to GG I mean.

Sure, but in a movie it can be played as just some weird stuff that might not be real. You can't do that with Gerald's Game, because Gerald's Game is loving retarded.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Sure, but in a movie it can be played as just some weird stuff that might not be real. You can't do that with Gerald's Game, because Gerald's Game is loving retarded.

Gerald's Game is the only SK book I know for a fact that I just skimmed and didn't read, maybe Rose Madder too but I KNOW I just skimmed GG.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I still think the "reality" of Gerald's Game is that she was hallucinating the creepy guy all of the time and he didn't have a real connection to the events of the story. Nothing in it involves him directly interacting with her during the time she's stuck. Any of the connections that come up later seem more like coincidences.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Yeah, but that basically all happens at the same time. Dolores and Whats-Her-Name are both watching the eclipse; the paranormal energies of the moon passing in front of the sun as it does constantly connects the two briefly and we get treated in two different books to King describing the scent of semen as "rusty pennies in a wet sock", or something similar.

Thanks, Steve!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That eclipse is also in an episode of Mad Men. I don't think there was any molestation in that episode.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Needing a good book of horror short stories, I gave Everything's Eventual a try. It's boring, mostly just rambling stories from various people about their lovely lives and little to do with anything remotely dark or frightening. It could be made worse by the Audiobook version, which is read by multiple people of varying levels of talent. Stephen King himself was by far the most tolerable.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Talmonis posted:

Needing a good book of horror short stories, I gave Everything's Eventual a try. It's boring, mostly just rambling stories from various people about their lovely lives and little to do with anything remotely dark or frightening. It could be made worse by the Audiobook version, which is read by multiple people of varying levels of talent. Stephen King himself was by far the most tolerable.

Everything's eventual is one of his worst short story collections. Skeleton Crew and night shift are much better.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Talmonis posted:

I gave Everything's Eventual a try.

Yeah, that's by far the worst one. I tend to get them mixed up and confuse one with the other but Everything's Eventual is the only one I remember (because it stood out for being terrible). I guess what I'm saying is that any of the short story collections besides that one are pretty good so read one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

Please don't read Lisey's Story.

I really liked Lisey's Story but I could have done with most of the plot going away. I didn't care about the psycho that got the plot started, but the parts between the author and his wife/dead family/weird alternate world were some really good poo poo.