Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Unrelated to anything but how did the word "check" come to mean slamming your body into someone? When I check my students' papers for errors I sometimes want to slam my body into them, but I have to remember that it's a completely different meaning...or is it?

Check also means to halt, and slamming into someone means you are halting their progress

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do you figure that's optimism?
because it wasn't done to make it more interesting, it was because men didn't like losing.

quote:

Again, I don't know the backstory here, but the poster seems to be implying that women were broadly doing better than men in mixed competitions, so they split the two off and made a men's competition a separate thing so they could win something and not feel bad about themselves for losing. This is pretty much the history of segregated chess tournaments, they started off as all mixed, but women weren't doing as well so they carved out a division so they could compete among themselves.
no, historically women were better, then they split off and women fell behind because they weren't getting the training to play at the title level. You are only as good as you train to be. And since reintegration we've stopped pouring resources into training up grandmasters to beat the New Soviet Man (or in the case of the USSR prove the superiority of the New Soviet Man) because there aren't any soviets anymore and being the grandmaster doesn't come with a lot of endorsement contracts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is the same reason things like chess tournaments are segregated, right? Noncompetitive competitions are unsurprisingly not interesting, so it makes perfect sense to split off groups if one is significantly better.

In the examples being cited the women were not significantly better as a group. Any women appearing in the top bracket at all were the problem. This is why Jackie Lee and Melissa deTorra get threats for kicking rear end on the Magic pro tour. Winning while female gets severe pushback.

Furthermore, in intellectual sports having tough opponents is helpful to increase your own performance. Its hard to improve personally if you never jack up the difficulty level. Segregating by gender always harms one gender or the other by cutting that one off from useful opponents in the other.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why would women be inherently better or worse at chess (or shooting)?

edit: I mean, not counting situations where women historically haven't had access to the best instructors and stuff.

There's slim evidence (but some) that skeletal mechanics make women better at competitive rifle shooting. I think mostly because you brace your arm into your hip for the standing position and women have an easier time doing that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

McAlister posted:

Furthermore, in intellectual sports having tough opponents is helpful to increase your own performance. Its hard to improve personally if you never jack up the difficulty level. Segregating by gender always harms one gender or the other by cutting that one off from useful opponents in the other.
Yep. Iron sharpens iron.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Talmonis posted:

Professional baseball, Soccer, golf and tennis should all be desegregated. Any of the non-contact sports.

The Williams sisters already tried that with tennis and got their asses handed to them.

Golf I could see (I have no experience in golfing so I'm not sure how huge of a difference strength would be in the swing). Intellectual sports/games, sure. But if you think tennis, soccer and baseball are non-contact and wouldn't be skewed by differences in physicality, you're delusional.

I don't want tennis desegregated if it means women's tennis is wiped out and we get MAYBE 5 female tennis players in the top 200. At that point you have less support, popularity and attention given to women tennis players as a whole since they'll be largely overshadowed.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
http://m.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/2001/06/stossel-p2.htm

'The women's national team sometimes practices against under-sixteen boys' teams—and loses. "They just boot it over our heads and run past us," Kate Sobrero, the national-team and Boston Breaker defender, told me.'

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Women from the current system, where they have less support, less training and overall less opportunity, you're not seeing the best of the best.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

no, historically women were better, then they split off and women fell behind because they weren't getting the training to play at the title level. You are only as good as you train to be. And since reintegration we've stopped pouring resources into training up grandmasters to beat the New Soviet Man (or in the case of the USSR prove the superiority of the New Soviet Man) because there aren't any soviets anymore and being the grandmaster doesn't come with a lot of endorsement contracts

Well, consider me educated. I was under the assumption that parallel chess competitions were created for women so they would have something to win (and by extension encourage participation for women), not that they were actively excluded from open competition. When were women allowed back into open play?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Talmonis posted:

Women from the current system, where they have less support, less training and overall less opportunity, you're not seeing the best of the best.

The Williams sisters are not the best of the best? They have less support, less training and overall less opportunity than the guy ranked 203 in men's tennis?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

By the way, IBD in IBD/TIPP polling stands for Investor Business Daily. Also it includes this tidbit:

quote:

Broken down by age, only those age 18-24 say that Obama has been a success (77% of this group believes that). His worst showing is among those 25-44, of whom 59% describe his presidency as failing.
Another striking contrast: Most single women (54%) judge his presidency a success, but only 32% of married women do.

However, they don't release methodology or crosstabs so they're probably mostly bullshit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

By the way, IBD in IBD/TIPP polling stands for Investor Business Daily. Also it includes this tidbit:

Isn't that the rag that runs Michael Ramirez's politoons?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Well, consider me educated. I was under the assumption that parallel chess competitions were created for women so they would have something to win (and by extension encourage participation for women), not that they were actively excluded from open competition. When were women allowed back into open play?

In 1965 they changed the rules to allow them to title women by special decision, Nona Gaprindashvili was awarded the title grandmaster in 1978. In 1970 proposals to phase in integrated competitive play were passed, by the 1980s tournaments were mixed. Judit Polgar became the first woman grandmaster through tournament play in 1991. She was 15 at the time

This about tips out my knowledge, any more than this and I'll need to start cribbing from Wikipedia

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. Also the one that claimed that Stephen Hawking would have been cast aside and left for dead if he had grown up in a country with socialized healthcare.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

The very same!

efb

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Amergin posted:

The Williams sisters are not the best of the best? They have less support, less training and overall less opportunity than the guy ranked 203 in men's tennis?

They're the best of our current system, yes. But they may not be the best of a system which treats men and women, boys and girls equally from the get-go.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "I have a shot at winning this race. Thom Tillis does not." ~ Sean Haugh, Libertarian candidate for Senate, North Carolina.

Local scuttlebutt is the NCGOP are getting a little worried that Tillis is starting to become a drag on the rest of the ticket so Haugh might not be too far off the mark there.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Desegregating sports in terms of gender is great if you're just trying to take some principled stand on gender or something, it's terrible if you're a female athlete or enjoy women's sports at all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Wendy Rogers is running against, and losing to, the first (and only) bisexual atheist in Congress... who's obviously an ally of ISIS.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Talmonis posted:

They're the best of our current system, yes. But they may not be the best of a system which treats men and women, boys and girls equally from the get-go.

But again, if we don't ASSUME that a new desegregated system will magically create female tennis players who can match the physicality of male tennis players in the upper echelons, all you're doing is wiping out women's tennis in favor of getting maybe 5 female players in the top 200.

Do you have any evidence of desegregating a physical sport magically providing the tools for women to compete on the same level as men? Because if not, all you're doing is whining about segregation to whine about something, when in fact your prescribed solution would probably be more of a blow to women's tennis than a boon.

EDIT:

Amused to Death posted:

Desegregating sports in terms of gender is great if you're just trying to take some principled stand on gender or something, it's terrible if you're a female athlete or enjoy women's sports at all.

Yeah, what he/she/it said.

In other news, TE put out an interesting article on the effects of Swedish education reforms/changes. Some quotes:

The Economist posted:

But there are good reasons to believe the problem is not school choice... because Sweden's voucher scheme coincided with... a change... which emphasised individualised learning over teacher instruction. A comprehensive study (in Swedish) published in 2010 found that this was among the most plausible explanations for the drop in student performance. (Sweden duly changed its national curriculum again in 2011.) Norwegian schools implemented similar curriculum changes in the 1990s and saw similar unfortunate results, whereas Finland concentrated on teacher-led pedagogy and saw improvements in student performance.

Karin Edmark of the Research Institute of Industrial Economics and her collaborators... look at both students who were in school when the vouchers were introduced and those who had already graduated, comparing the two groups based on outcomes such as grades in elementary school, criminal convictions and college enrolment. Overall, the authors find that school choice has had a small, but positive impact, particularly for minority and low-income students.

So, 1) A common education argument posited by many liberals in favor of "individualized learning" actually doesn't help as much as a strong teach with disciplinary options, and 2) school vouchers help, rather than hurt, and seem to help poor and minority students the most.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

School vouchers in countries like Sweden let you choose between public schools (I know that in my school district in Texas, I had the option to go to another school for sports or academic reasons) while vouchers in America are partial subsidies for private schools. Do not conflate the two.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

School vouchers in countries like Sweden let you choose between public schools (I know that in my school district in Texas, I had the option to go to another school for sports or academic reasons) while vouchers in America are partial subsidies for private schools. Do not conflate the two.

From that article:

quote:

This study does not explain why disadvantaged students appear to benefit more from school choice than their peers. But a plausible reason is that many poor Swedish neighbourhoods have been plagued with bad schools, and vouchers meant students were no longer forced to attend them. Indeed, the authors find that after school choice was introduced, disadvantaged students were more likely than other students to attend schools that were private and far from home.

These findings are supported by previous research. In another study analysing student results in different Swedish municipalities, researchers found a correlation between test scores and the number of independent schools available: the greater the number, the higher the scores. Significantly, these gains were not concentrated among the students in independent schools, which suggests that there are positive effects from competition. A high number of independent schools in a municipality seems to put pressure on all schools to improve their standards.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Talmonis posted:

They have grown up playing tennis and have received top level training all their lives, as good or better than most men's pros. I don't want to be all :biotruths: but come the gently caress on. There are plenty of things in which men and women can compete together and equally, there are things in which women have an advantage, and there are things in which men do. In sports where raw athleticism matters, men have a clear advantage. It doesn't mean women can't excel in them, and certainly there are plenty of women who could beat the pants off of most men, but not at the professional level in things where strength, speed, and size make a difference. Now, if you want to argue that the fact that those sports were invented by and for men and have rules and gameplay that plays to men's natural advantages in those areas, sure, I'm down. Quite likely, in fact, but there is no amount of treating boys and girls equally from the get-go that will put a woman in the NFL or Premiere League. Racing, shooting, riding? Sure. Football, other football, hoops, baseball, hockey, running, tennis, etc, no.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amergin posted:

In other news, TE put out an interesting article on the effects of Swedish education reforms/changes. Some quotes:

So, 1) A common education argument posited by many liberals in favor of "individualized learning" actually doesn't help as much as a strong teach with disciplinary options, and 2) school vouchers help, rather than hurt, and seem to help poor and minority students the most.

If we had the system Sweden had, that might be useful information for American educators. But since our social systems, culture, and educational institutions are vastly different, I don't see how valuable that would be for US educators. I'm sure some lobbyists will love that study.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

If we had the system Sweden had, that might be useful information for American educators. But since our social systems, culture, and educational institutions are vastly different, I don't see how valuable that would be for US educators. I'm sure some lobbyists will love that study.

But my hippy mom and her Wiccan coven, and my English major Starbucks barista roommate, and the HuffPo and Reddit comments all say we should be more like Scandinavia, the supposedly idyllic liberal happyland where jobs are plentiful and the taxes don't matter.

EDIT: And they tend to use Sweden as an example because for some reason that country is more easily pulled from memory than Finland, Norway and Denmark, before you go all :goonsay: Scandinavia =| Sweden

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amergin posted:

But my hippy mom and her Wiccan coven, and my English major Starbucks barista roommate, and the HuffPo and Reddit comments all say we should be more like Scandinavia, the supposedly idyllic liberal happyland where jobs are plentiful and the taxes don't matter.

EDIT: And they tend to use Sweden as an example because for some reason that country is more easily pulled from memory than Finland, Norway and Denmark, before you go all :goonsay: Scandinavia =| Sweden

Great, you should go show them this study because no one in this thread is making that argument. But you're still missing the fact that Sweden can have a better system than ours and still get different results for the use of vouchers. For example, in the Swedish system, vouchers don't take money out of public school systems while it does in the US.

Edit: even your own article says the positive impact of vouchers was very small.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 7, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

JT Jag posted:

Man, now Obama will never get elected to a third term

If you don't think that this won't be projected onto Democrats as a whole (even if the numbers aren't as bad as that poll) you are pretty naïve at this politics thing.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 7, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

From that article:

Are these Sweden vouchers 100% cost of schooling?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If you don't think that this won't be projected onto Democrats as a whole (even if the numbers aren't as bad as that poll) you are pretty naïve at this politics thing.
That was an ambivalent response to the fact that "Would you elect President Obama to a third term" was an actual question on that poll and nothing more

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Amergin posted:

The guy says in the article that men and women's leagues play the game slightly different helped. He points out men using spin more and sprinting for returns that are usually ignored in women's matches. A couple of more matches rather than the one each may have allowed them to adapt better to the different style of play.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Tom Cotton is now the highest profile member of the GOP to warn of the Islamic State of the Ozarks and Dixie.

quote:

“The problem is with Mark Pryor and Barack Obama refusing to enforce our immigration laws, and refusing to secure our border. I’ll change that when I’m in the United States Senate. And I would add, it’s not just an immigration problem. We now know that it’s a security problem. Groups like the Islamic State collaborate with drug cartels in Mexico who have clearly shown they’re willing to expand outside the drug trade into human trafficking and potentially even terrorism.

“They could infiltrate our defenseless border and attack us right here in places like Arkansas. This is an urgent problem and it’s time we got serious about it, and I’ll be serious about it in the United States Senate.”

When asked about his claims, his campaign staff sent back links to WND and Breitbart. Seriously.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The guy says in the article that men and women's leagues play the game slightly different helped. He points out men using spin more and sprinting for returns that are usually ignored in women's matches. A couple of more matches rather than the one each may have allowed them to adapt better to the different style of play.

The real question here is how a professional fast pitch slugger would respond to the nastiest back door sliders in baseball. Would she go yard?!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Tom Cotton is now the highest profile member of the GOP to warn of the Islamic State of the Ozarks and Dixie.

When asked about his claims, his campaign staff sent back links to WND and Breitbart. Seriously.

Ugh, is he up or down right now?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm really glad the author didn't appeal to manliness or other physiological differences, but instead explained differences in how men and women tennis players actually approach the game.

When I played lacrosse, we had two women lacrosse players on the team. It was a new sport at our school and there weren't separate teams for women, but the girls had moved to our school from schools that did (have lacrosse for many years as well as women's teams). Anyway, they didn't do badly, but they didn't excel either. Namely it was because they were both used to women's league rules and strategies, not because they couldn't throw the ball with high accuracy, run fast, or hit hard* (they did all of these); it was just a different sport entirely.

* I'd fear a woman playing against me on the field just as much as I would a man; they'd lay you out flat, steal the ball, run it 80 yards, and pin-point your goalie's weak spot before you could recover your breath.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 7, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Ugh, is he up or down right now?

Current polls suggest he is likely to win.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm a fan of that particular scare-line because it's literally "throw as many scary things as we can think of into a pot, stir 'em up and then regurgitate 'em all at once"

Especially when they add ebola in somehow.

Ebola-carrying ISIS terrororists breaching our undefended border with the help of Mexican drug runners. That's four different talking points all in one: Terrorism, illegal immigration, drugs and ebola, in one compact sound byte.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And the shutdown will doom Republicans from winning the Senate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I'm a fan of that particular scare-line because it's literally "throw as many scary things as we can think of into a pot, stir 'em up and then regurgitate 'em all at once"

Especially when they add ebola in somehow.

Ebola-carrying ISIS terrororists breaching our undefended border with the help of Mexican drug runners. That's four different talking points all in one: Terrorism, illegal immigration, drugs and ebola, in one compact sound byte.

Yeah I kind of wish we were having a rash of shark attacks right now, for GOP talking points comedy reasons.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Joementum posted:

I'm sure the cartels have been itching to get into the lucrative business of "terrorism".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Yeah I kind of wish we were having a rash of shark attacks right now, for GOP talking points comedy reasons.

The shark attack epidemic of 1916 cost Woodrow Wilson votes in New Jersey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Technical Analysis posted:

I'm not sure what I'd ask my Julian Castro. I just remember when the Pre-K4SA thing was going on he was actually out promoting it and getting the word out about it himself. I was driving home one day and I saw him on the corner of the highway intersection near where I live with a couple of staffers, so I pulled off the road and met with him, shook his had and all that, asked questions about the program, how it'd be funded and implemented, all that.

So of all the amazing things he's done here in San Antonio, I'd say the best was him actually going out and meeting with people, I don't think that happens enough with politicians. And I'm pretty sure those "town hall meetings" that were all the rage a while back don't count.

I'm sure the Gabby Giffords shooting got a lot of these "meet the people" events cancelled.

• Locked thread