Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I think having a county around one of the major American colleges should provide a slight bonus to research or random chances of discovering old world tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Having someone of your dynasty holding land outside your realm does not do anything useful for you by way of making the land yours.

What do you mean by this? You can press the claim of a dynasty member who isn't landed, and he'll still become your vassal if the title is lower than yours. I do it all the time. Find a little unmarried girl who has an inheritable claim to something you want, betroth her to a family member, wait til they have a child, and then as soon as he/she's born, kill the mother and start assassinating the claim holder until you get a woman or a regency. Doesn't even matter if the kid dies after you win the war. Still your vassal.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

THE BAR posted:

Do you guys think we'll get all the paladins as actual characters? Will I be able to carve out Ogier the Dane's true legacy??
roland might be in the game, he historically ruled over the breton march
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland#History

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Volkerball posted:

What do you mean by this? You can press the claim of a dynasty member who isn't landed, and he'll still become your vassal if the title is lower than yours. I do it all the time. Find a little unmarried girl who has an inheritable claim to something you want, betroth her to a family member, wait til they have a child, and then as soon as he/she's born, kill the mother and start assassinating the claim holder until you get a woman or a regency. Doesn't even matter if the kid dies after you win the war. Still your vassal.

Right, as Allyn clarified you can definitely do that. What I wrote was that having a dynasty member *already landed* outside your realm doesn't do anything for you (other than, as Allyn pointed out, providing claimants for the next generation that you won't have to land before pressing their claims).

It's why whenever I don't have any spare counties/baronies to give away but do have a daughter hitting her adolescence I start looking around for disgruntled heirs to nearby duchies/counties that will accept an invite to my court. If you're willing to wait a few decades you can easily produce claimants of your dynasty with nothing more than a matrimarriage and a stab.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 7, 2014

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm an Indian ruler, why can I not wage a Subjugation war against other rulers with Indian culture?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I'm an Indian ruler, why can I not wage a Subjugation war against other rulers with Indian culture?

They have to be in your culture group (note: there are two Indian culture groups), and you can only do it once in your lifetime.

I think you might have to be Hindu, too? Actually, maybe not.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
You have a permanent alliance with all Dynasty members.

I think you need 500 piety to subjugate fellow Indian rulers of your culture group.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Autonomous Monster posted:

They have to be in your culture group (note: there are two Indian culture groups), and you can only do it once in your lifetime.

I think you might have to be Hindu, too? Actually, maybe not.

I've definitely done it as a Buddhist several times, but this ruler has already done one and the Deccan empire is probably a different cultural group.

Thanks

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Volkerball posted:

It also doesn't matter if there's a revolt that overthrows the kid (or whoever you put on the throne) - still your vassal. Sometimes it's best to press the claim when there is a revolt - you only have to defeat the loyalist forces.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Revolts are a great way to snap up land if you're on the ball--weak claims are pressable during a claim revolt (or any major revolt? Can't recall off the top of my head) and if you time it right you can walk right in with not a very big army and trounce your hapless victim whose levies are already depleted by fighting off the revolt.

Once in a while a well-placed stabbing that places a 2 Diplomacy, Slothful, Craven, Cruel guy on the throne can open up a lot of opportunities for you.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 7, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Just noticed this courtier who reminded me of a certain Azeri LP

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Revolts are a great way to snap up land if you're on the ball--weak claims are pressable during a claim revolt (or any major revolt? Can't recall off the top of my head) and if you time it right you can walk right in with not a very big army and trounce your hapless victim whose levies are already depleted by fighting off the revolt.

Once in a while a well-placed stabbing that places a 2 Diplomacy, Slothful, Craven, Cruel guy on the throne can open up a lot of opportunities for you.

Are you talking about peasant revolts or faction revolts? If you mean faction revolts, how are you supposed to do this? I've tried declaring war during a revolt a few times, and the revolters always win the revolt before I can get 100% and the war ends inconclusively. I don't know how you're supposed to do it, since they always seem to get the credit for the occupation if you're both on the same tile, and if they wiped the army of the liege they're revolting against, they start off with like a 40% war score head start, which you can't make up since there's no one else to fight.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Prioritise territories over armies in revolts, and get to the revolting territory as fast as possible so you lead any siege. Infact, avoid armies unless you have to, and if you have to, don't kill them all. Crushing armies will boost both your and the other party's warscores and increase the likliehood that the revolting party surrenders to the original liege or vice-versa, depending on which you fought. Taking the revolting territory and then sitting on it gives you a ticking warscore. You want them to continue feuding while you pick up the pieces around them.

You just have to keep an eye for revolts and to get in there before they get a chance to fight each other. You also have to have a larger army than both sides.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Randarkman posted:

Just noticed this courtier who reminded me of a certain Azeri LP

Those stats look about right for Jahan Jahan, too. :v:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Started as a Norse and formed the empire of Brittannia. Now I'm not sure what to do. Should I try and reform the faith? I already own 1 holy site. Or just convert to christianity and marry my way into Europe? Or is it possible to convert with my current ruler, bump up the crown authority or change succession laws, and keep those when my (still pagan) heir takes over?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

What are the benefits of max crown authority over high? Other than the levy bonus (which is irrelevant once you have retinues), vassals being able to wage war seems like a positive. I've actually managed to pick up a few duchies just from my vassals going to war with people outside my realm and taking counties.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I prefer high. Especially if you plan on having a vassal republic, which you should. You really limit their ability to grow into a cash cow if you won't let them go to war for cities.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Max crown authority doesn't even increase your levies by that much, because vassal opinion factors into the levy size you get from them and raising the crown authority drops vassals' opinion.

Far as I can tell the main benefit of max crown authority is that it puts an extra step between your kingdom/empire and the dreaded low crown authority.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Clanpot Shake posted:

What are the benefits of max crown authority over high? Other than the levy bonus (which is irrelevant once you have retinues), vassals being able to wage war seems like a positive. I've actually managed to pick up a few duchies just from my vassals going to war with people outside my realm and taking counties.

Letting them go to war on their own is a double edged sword, because it can let them get rather large, which is a pain if they end up revolting one day.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

beedeebee posted:

Started as a Norse and formed the empire of Brittannia. Now I'm not sure what to do. Should I try and reform the faith? I already own 1 holy site. Or just convert to christianity and marry my way into Europe? Or is it possible to convert with my current ruler, bump up the crown authority or change succession laws, and keep those when my (still pagan) heir takes over?

Conquer the world :black101: Reforming the faith isn't all that hard - either forge claims to two of the other holy sites, or holy war if you can. Sack churches and holy war other pagans to get your MA up, then reform the faith. I just finished a Norse game, highlights included Great Holy Wars on East Francia, Andalusia, and Mesopotamia, with everything done in about 200 years.

Make sure to switch your capital to somewhere in Wales and switch cultures so you can get Tanistry (instead of Gavelkind, at least until you reform the faith) and longbows for being able to siege your way to 100% warscore before the enemy even has raised their levies.

VVVVV - is the HRE going to become a Theocracy? :stonk:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 7, 2014

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Never saw this before:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ChikoDemono posted:

Never saw this before:

If you can't beat 'em...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
In case you remember that Jarls of India mod by Blarghalt from a few months ago, I patched it up and put it on the steam workshop.

No hindu-norse syncretic religion at this time, but I made a rather spiffy preview imagine if I may say so.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

ChikoDemono posted:

Never saw this before:

I might have been playing this game for too long when, just by looking at that picture, I know everything that's going on:

He's playing an Empire level Republic of Italia, the Holy Roman Empire still exists but is a theocracy, and the Papacy is a vassal of Italia.

Oh, and apparently the Empire of Hispania also exists? Jesus Christ, I want to know what happened in that game.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Riso posted:

In case you remember that Jarls of India mod by Blarghalt from a few months ago, I patched it up and put it on the steam workshop.

No hindu-norse syncretic religion at this time, but I made a rather spiffy preview imagine if I may say so.

Do you have permission to post it? Paradox shuts down steam mods that don't have approval from the original creator.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Do you have permission to post it? Paradox shuts down steam mods that don't have approval from the original creator.

He gave up on it as some other user found out months ago in a PM and I was an original collaborator who did most of the work after that anyway. I just don't have the creativity necessary to add to it and I didnt feel like going so it died in a patch.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Riso posted:

He gave up on it as some other user found out months ago in a PM and I was an original collaborator who did most of the work after that anyway. I just don't have the creativity necessary to add to it and I didnt feel like going so it died in a patch.

Okay, good to hear. Just didn't want you wondering why the mod got removed if that wasn't the case.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Riso posted:

This is really funny because without ever hearing about this mod, I viking Raided my way to India via prepared invasion of Egpyt. I got kicked back to Sardinia because of a Jihad and a fuckoff massive Indian empire holy warring me to death in India.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

monster on a stick posted:

Conquer the world :black101: Reforming the faith isn't all that hard - either forge claims to two of the other holy sites, or holy war if you can. Sack churches and holy war other pagans to get your MA up, then reform the faith. I just finished a Norse game, highlights included Great Holy Wars on East Francia, Andalusia, and Mesopotamia, with everything done in about 200 years.

Make sure to switch your capital to somewhere in Wales and switch cultures so you can get Tanistry (instead of Gavelkind, at least until you reform the faith) and longbows for being able to siege your way to 100% warscore before the enemy even has raised their levies.

VVVVV - is the HRE going to become a Theocracy? :stonk:

That is the most :black101: solution, but if I change culture, I probably have to deal with even more revolts? All my vassals (~40) are Norse. And some are quite powerful...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Bort Bortles posted:

This is really funny because without ever hearing about this mod, I viking Raided my way to India via prepared invasion of Egpyt. I got kicked back to Sardinia because of a Jihad and a fuckoff massive Indian empire holy warring me to death in India.

Sure, that's what most people do, but only with the mod can you punch a tiger in the face.

Riso fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 7, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

beedeebee posted:

That is the most :black101: solution, but if I change culture, I probably have to deal with even more revolts? All my vassals (~40) are Norse. And some are quite powerful...

I never had many revolts (in fact I don't think I ever saw any...) Just try and educate their heirs (or arrange for them to be educated by other Welsh) and as you expand, ensure that you only land other Welsh to dilute the strength of any remaining Norse/Norse. You should have enough cash from raiding to bribe people into liking you anyway.

If you have that many vassals (I assume you have few/no dukes?) you may start trying to imprison any counts you can without imposing tyranny (aka members of a plot), plopping down a Welsh in their place, and then promoting them to Duke. That way the Norse/Norse won't be your vassals anymore (so who cares what they think), and having Dukes gives you technology which you'll want anyway.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I have some dukes. I also have like 12 pop ups that I can create duchies. I'm just waiting until the counts take some initiative and create them. I don't want to spend money to create some stupid duchy I don't really care about.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I flipped to Welsh as Haesteinn of Nantes then invaded india and was hoping to eventually have Welsh Buddhists invading Europe via Egypt, but my attempt was super gamey and failed in the long run.

Instead I waited for there to be unrest in the low countries and did a Prepared Invasion of West Francia, and took the Duchy of Normandie and Ile De France to drift into the Kingdom of Iseldiroedd :black101:

I defeated the first crusade by dumb luck. I had an army of ~4k on its way to loot Rome. When the poop declared the first crusade I recruited a couple thousand mercenaries and sailed them down there and assaulted my way through the poop's churches and ended the war right quick.

beedeebee posted:

I have some dukes. I also have like 12 pop ups that I can create duchies. I'm just waiting until the counts take some initiative and create them. I don't want to spend money to create some stupid duchy I don't really care about.

A count cannot create a duchy if he does not directly own 51% or more of the duchy in question. Also, creating duchies gives you prestige. Sometimes I leave duchies unformed so I can have a new ruler form them so he does not have zero prestige when he starts his reign.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

double post; post is not edit

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

I defeated the first crusade by dumb luck. I had an army of ~4k on its way to loot Rome. When the poop declared the first crusade I recruited a couple thousand mercenaries and sailed them down there and assaulted my way through the poop's churches and ended the war right quick.

That's how I always defeat crusades. Sail a bunch of dudes to Rome and assault before the Pope can march his armies back. I think since the Pope is considered the leader of the war, taking his primary (and usually only) holding means a sweet end to the war plus MA.

beedeebee posted:

The advantage to picking your own dukes is that you get prestige and... you get to pick your own dukes, so people from your house (boosts prestige), guys who are content (+50 opinion), of your culture, etc. The last thing you want is some ambitious rear end in a top hat getting the duchy.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

monster on a stick posted:

The advantage to picking your own dukes is that you get prestige and... you get to pick your own dukes, so people from your house (boosts prestige), guys who are content (+50 opinion), of your culture, etc. The last thing you want is some ambitious rear end in a top hat getting the duchy.

On this topic, I've got several ambitious, powerful king-level vassals. I've imprisoned everyone I've found plotting against me, but some of them manage to keep their nose clean. This is an issue because they refuse to vote for my chosen successor because they hate me, even though he is a total badass. What can I do about these assholes?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ChikoDemono posted:

Never saw this before:

Clearly the guy is more interested in the Roman part of his empire. Emperors were the head of religion, after all.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I would like to try out some mods for this game but I can't get my CD key from steam. The option to view CD key just isn't there. I'm sure I purchased the game through steam. I opened a support ticket but haven't got a response for 4 days. Anyone know what's going on or know how to fix it?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

So I was on the paradox forums looking for a mod to try and get me back into CK2, and I stumbled across a very ... interesting, mod. I'm not sure how to describe it, other than through a comparison: You know SWMH, the map mod that adds an absolutely impractical and silly number of provinces into the game, to the point of insanity?

This mod here seems to thinks that SWMH didn't go far enough. Highlights include a ten province champagne, and the 41 counties in Ireland!

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Clanpot Shake posted:

On this topic, I've got several ambitious, powerful king-level vassals. I've imprisoned everyone I've found plotting against me, but some of them manage to keep their nose clean. This is an issue because they refuse to vote for my chosen successor because they hate me, even though he is a total badass. What can I do about these assholes?

Revoke all the king titles and never give them out again

• Locked thread